By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Thorpe

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Thorpe has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: JP ARTF Thrush Sport Glider
21/04/2016 22:55:17

p_20160421_221325.jpg

21/04/2016 22:50:15

New motor installed with 30A ESC, new spinner and aeronaut folding prop....it flies like a dream now!
Delighted with it now, the new gear has transformed it completely. Loads of thrust now, can do throw it around the place! The aeornaut spinner gives extra cooling too, which is handy, as the vents only give some cooling, but much better now.

Thread: Cambrian Fun Fighter Hurricane (electric)
13/04/2016 10:11:33

Hi Chris,

Ah that is a fantastic job you made of the hurricane!

Amazing work! It looks like the full size sitting there!

Hope the maiden goes well....I'd say it will look even better in the air.

Post some pics of it on the maiden, would be great to see!

Well done and hope you get a great day for flying it soon!

13/04/2016 09:41:26

Hi Chris,

13/04/2016 09:39:20

Hi Chris,

13/04/2016 09:38:43

Hi Chris,

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
02/04/2016 20:06:04

Super models here!!

Great skills!

Amazing.

Thread: Eager Beaver
02/04/2016 15:15:49
Hi,
No joy yet on the plan!!
I guess I'll just order the print issue of the magazine. Mistakenly thought the plan was included in the digital version!!

Did you build this one yourself?

Thanks!
alan
01/04/2016 18:24:27

Been looking for the plan of this.....no joy though.

Bought the digital version of the issue thinking the plan was included, but it isnt!

Anyone know where I can find it please?

Cheers

Alan

Thread: Red Eagle 2016 Build
31/03/2016 01:15:37

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the handy tip, that's great stuff really, never knew how to do that, I'll definitely give it a try on a plan soon!

Just wondering if you could use thin ply instead of the aluminium for making the ribs?

Thanks a lot for the help and pictures, inspirational stuff!!

Cheers,
Alan

Thread: Eager Beaver
30/03/2016 23:59:30

These models are great looking! I like the look of the foam ones, but the balsa ones here are fantastic.

I want to build one, but just wondering if there's a laser cut pack available, or everyone just has to cut the parts?

All the examples here look great, I especially like that it handles slow speeds nicely, should be great to fly.

Anyways, I'll go and order the issue and might try cutting my own parts....will be needng plenty of spare timber!

Any advice on building this one??

Cheers!

Alan

Thread: Red Eagle 2016 Build
29/03/2016 22:19:00

Ah great stuff with the build and especially cutting all your own parts, impressive work!

I built the same model from laser cut kit last year, I really enjoyed it, it flies fantastic.

Just wondering how you go about cutting the parts from the plan, do you trace out the part and transfer it over a sheet of balsa to cut out, or how does it go?

What about the ribs, how do you accurately get the same profile on each one?

I'd like to have a go but I know I'd make a complete disaster of it!! Following your build anyway, great work!

Fancy carbon and all! Just managed a sneaky flight yesterday evening when the wind died for 20 mins, it is a great flyer!

Enjoy the build!

Alan

26/03/2016 23:35:05
Posted by Robert Young 4 on 09/03/2016 13:44:24:

Hi Alan, Cheers for the reply, I have noticed the pic in the album is an old one showing the rudder as then modified, but on further flights, I reduced it to 1-3/4" at the top and 3-3/8" at the bottom. The dims, are not from right angles to the hinge line but just a simple measurement top and bottom, this suits my style of use as I am really an ic power guy who dabbles in gliding, my latest glider is the Fly Fly ASK21-KLW 2.6 mtr now complete and waiting for a good day to maiden. My Alan! how the bigger model runs away with the money to kit out, methinks I should have thought more. !! Robert frown

Hi Robert,

Fantastic stuff with your modifications and new paint job! Just about to replace the motor and esc, I have a 2830 to install, 1350Kv, so should improve things, especially as I've discoverd the original motor has burnt out windings. It should improve things anyway!

2.6 metres is a beast! It should pick up any thermal at that wingspan and wing area, great stuff! This hobby is addictive and I reckon the spending gets out of control easily eh?! Worth it though to see a 2.6 m glider in the air!

Hope it's flying great!

Cheers,
Alan

26/03/2016 23:30:07
Posted by ken anderson. on 31/12/2015 17:58:10:

hello alan...take off the prop driver-thats the large nut and the collet with the threads on ...then take out the two screws the motor should come out...it looks like the supplied motor...it may be the photo but it looks to have burn marks on the motor case(black marks)may have been run too hot..anyway--easy to get a new motor for not a lot of dosh..happy new year from me.

ken anderson...ne....1 not a lot of dosh dept.

Hi Ken,

Well I've flown the glider a little bit lately, and it still lacks the power to climb convincingly!

I took out the motor and checked it over, as you mentioned, the case itself was ok, but there were burn marks on the windings of 4 poles, so that explains it....it probably happened when the wires got jammed up against the motor at the beginning. So thanks for spotting that!

All is good now, have a new motor to install and larger 30A esc to go along with it. It should fly a lot better once the weather calms down! Looking forward to seeing what it can do, as so far I've only had a few circuits with it after a short climb out.

I'll let you know how it goes anyway! Cheers!
Alan

Thread: Pics from your free RCME plan build
17/03/2016 22:30:45

RedEagle from Ton's plan in RCME. Will have to have a go and the Sonny model above, looks amazing!

20151123_011547.jpg

Thread: Spring has sprung , who's been flying?
17/03/2016 22:22:54

Best day so far this year. Had the Red Eagle up for over an hour, met a few real flyers, pointing out the thermals, was unreal. Just about make out the glider top left and the 4 Buzzards thermalling on the right. Best flight so far.

Hopefully get to get some in-flight video of the buzzards some day!

gliderbuzzards.jpg

13/03/2016 21:24:50

Great day today! Managed to fly the RedEagle for a while today, was perfect out for it.

Plenty of 30sec climbs and nice glide back before another climbout, it flies really well. Just have to not break it again!!

march.jpg

08/03/2016 23:16:48

Edited By Alan Thorpe on 08/03/2016 23:17:34

08/03/2016 23:16:39

Hi Robert!

Ah great thanks for your reply! Your glider looks great and sounds like it flies even better!

Will definitely make a few changes like yourself starting with new prop and maybe new motor!

Looking forward to flying it again and seeing the differences!

Cheers

Alan

Thread: Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?
04/03/2016 00:12:49
Hey Andy!
Yep you're right that's pretty much where it split....epoxy holding it together now so hopefully it'll be stronger now. Recovered the wing and fuselage tonight...ready to fly again soon!
It flies fantastic, can't wait for some decent weather and long evenings!
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us