By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Max Z

Here is a list of all the postings Max Z has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Turning detective, can you help?
18/07/2019 10:30:33

Ulrich Heimhilger? I can find an Anton with that surname in "Traces of War", but he had nothing with flying anything as far as I can gather.

Thread: Multiplex Dual Receivers
17/07/2019 23:02:43
Posted by Percy Verance on 17/07/2019 19:13:39:

and the vulnerable exposed aerial. I've never broken one yet, but I know those who have.

I have to agree to that. On the older one, to get a better protectionI modified the mounting to swing it back (and fix it) in the same way the 35MHz antenna could . Nothing wrong with the NiMh battery as far as I am concerned, must be nearly a year ago I last had to charge it.

17/07/2019 18:17:54

Might be, but if you want one you can still buy one. And I got the package including the Souffleur a while ago, it's a Multiplex sponsored combi-package (never used it up to now, but hey..).

I would not argue that the Royal is not due for replacement, but it serves my purposes well.smiley And yes, the black 16ch seems to be the only version on offer. I've got the yellow 16 Ch version cheeky

Edited By Max Z on 17/07/2019 18:20:30

17/07/2019 17:53:43

What do you mean, discontinued? The Multiplex website still lists it, and German/Austrian shops Lindinger and Schweighofer have it in stock (for the same price, but Schweighofer throws in the Souffleur spoken telemetry receiver)

17/07/2019 16:21:57

Hi Peter,

As an owner of one, I can thoroughly recommend the Royal SX 16. I also have the older RoyalPro 9 (firmware upgraded to SX) The Royal SX 16 also has the Profi stick units, very nice.

In stead of the neck strap, have a look at the special tray designed for the Royal. It is made of foam, but feels very nice and is durable. It is not cheap, and prices vary so a bit of shopping around can be advantageous.

Max.

Thread: Dutch Dawn Patrol pretty pictures
08/07/2019 16:05:58

Each year our club organizes the "Dutch Dawn Patrol" event, with the focus on WW1 aeroplanes. Besides our own members it has proved to be very popular with our German neighbours, who have turned up in numbers again this year.

The speciality of the event is that at 6:00 AM sharp a mass start of all "combatants" takes place in a real Dawn Patrol spirit. Have a look at the pretty pictures of the event HERE

Pictures start at post #88

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 08/07/2019 16:14:50

Thread: Hi from the Netherlands
21/06/2019 19:36:05
Posted by playtime222 on 21/06/2019 10:29:31:
@Max - 200? I'd never get a peg!

There is very little activity on the 35 MHz band these days, so that would not be the problem.

Max.

21/06/2019 08:48:13
Posted by kc on 20/06/2019 20:24:36:

Max, is 35Mhz legal for PLANES ONLY in Netherlands as in Britain? ( that means NOT for cars or boats)

Yes, I can confirm that. It has been like that since it's introduction in the 1970's.

@playtime222: I fly at the GMVC club, between Benthuizen and Boskoop (about 25k from Den Haag). You're welcome to come and have a look, but I don't think we are taking new members now, the club is already well over 200 members.

Max.

Thread: Transmitter / receiver issues, help needed pls
20/06/2019 12:44:59

2A seems ample to drive 4 servos, especially when these are not seeing any flight loads. Unless the servos are digital types which are famous for drawing a high current just to get moving. It sounds more like high friction control linkages to me, have you heeded Simon's advice and uncouple the servo linkage while testing?

Or indeed your esc is a rotten apple and needs to be binned and replaced.

Edited By Max Z on 20/06/2019 12:46:32

Thread: Switching Brand
20/06/2019 12:26:53

Otoh, looking at the Multiplex "Wingstabi" (or similar examples from other brands?) there is a tendency to move all the adjustments of individual servo's to the receiver, programmed via your PC or a specialized gadget for field use, and leave only the control functions to be transmitted from the Tx. In which case, an 8 or 9 channel Tx might be sufficient after all. The Rx then takes on the role of a flight controller, with or without stabilization, in the manner already applied to drones and specialized aircraft.

Cheers,

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 20/06/2019 12:31:56

20/06/2019 11:44:13

It may be good to think about the number of servo's (or esc's) you want to be able to adjust individually, since that is really the number of "channels" you need. It is all too easy to think of the number of functions you want to control, like aileron, rudder, throttle etc.

As an example, a twin brushless motor model will require 2 channels to adjust each esc individually, but it is using only one function (Throttle). I am happy with my Multiplex system which makes that distinction in assigning servo's (rather than channels) to a function, and does the same for a control element (I understand Open TX does the same), but it is not very widespread in the UK I believe, so it will be difficult to muster any personal assistance in programming.

Anyway, I do not know what your ambitions are, but realise that a motorized glider with ailerons, flaps and spoilers, rudder and elevator already occupies 9 channels, exceeding the 8 you mentioned( and you will be short of channels for a retractable wheel or Peter M's gesturing pilot cheeky)

Cheers,

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 20/06/2019 12:19:17

Thread: Transmitter / receiver issues, help needed pls
20/06/2019 09:38:24
Posted by Denis Watkins on 20/06/2019 07:30:48: So rebind with the throttle down

Denis, I am sure you meant to say initialize (the esc) with the throttle down. Binding is the process of connecting the Tx and Rx, and has nothing to do with the throttle position. This to clarify it to Daire.

20/06/2019 09:29:40
Posted by DAIRE CONNOLLY on 20/06/2019 08:27:07:

Denis - I will 100% get this failsafe reversed as I can now make it fail regularly so I'll do that today while I wait for a new esc.

Correct, reverse the failsafe, NOT the throttle. The Tx should show the throttle channel as "Normal", not "Rev", practically all ESC's should then initialize properly. Sometimes it will be necessary to trim the throttle channel all the way down as well. By the way, "throttle closed" is pulling the stick towards you, as you probably know by now, but it is a known beginner's error.

Thread: Hi from the Netherlands
19/06/2019 21:39:22
Posted by playtime222 on 19/06/2019 21:17:02: First thing I will need to figure out is whether I can run 35Mhz kit. The second is getting a training buddy when the heretics here (Netherlands) are apparently fond of Mode 1.

As one of those heretics I can tell you that 35 MHz is perfectly legal in this country (The Netherlands), and in the rest of the EU for that matter.

Max.

Thread: Multiplex Profi TX safety warning
07/06/2019 12:03:03

Profi owners:

Please go to the Multiplex home page for an important safety warning.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, English language message text included.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 07/06/2019 12:08:00

Thread: Skyleader Courier FrSky conversion problem.
11/04/2019 08:16:01
Posted by Ray Bull 3 on 10/04/2019 15:56:57:

The problem I find is when I connect an 30 aMh ESC to the throttle port instead of a servo and try to bind again,the motor bursts into life (no prop)

Hi Ray,

Two things strike me as odd, firstly, you should not have to go through the binding procedure when merely swapping a servo for an esc. Secondly, all (modern) ESC's will not "burst into life", but only arm when you move your stick to the minimum throttle setting first, irrespective of which end of your stick travel that is. Do you have any control over the rpm at all?

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 11/04/2019 08:18:01

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
24/03/2019 08:27:02

My version of Ton van Munsteren's cartoon scale micro mustang (RCM&E free plan):

dsc03839.jpg

Thread: Verhees Delta
20/03/2019 13:27:34
Posted by MattyB on 20/03/2019 08:52:57: It's big enough to sleep in

That, and as Bart told us at the presentation, you can slide in head first and inspect the rudder control mechanism without the need for an external inspection opening. idea

Max.

20/03/2019 09:57:50
Posted by MattyB on 20/03/2019 08:52:57:

Fancy a v2 Max? smiley

Hi Matty,

Thanks for posting the piccies and vids, I had not seen those yet. Designing a V2, hmmmm....

I did go to a presentation of the design aspects of the V2 by Bart Verhees last year, hoping that he would fly in either version or at least trailer it in, but alas, weather conditions prevailed.

An interesting presentation nevertheless, where my model was the (static) demonstrator smiley

Max.

Thread: RBC kits A4 Skyhawk build
13/03/2019 16:44:10

Sorry Jack, this was 18 years ago, I don't remember. I have tried to find relevant pictures, but on only one of those (of the completed and dark blue covered model) I can vaguely see that the servo was in the fin, above and slightly aft of the LE of the tailplane. I think the arm was sticking out and moved the elevator with a linking rod and the horn sitting on top. This seems to be confirmed by some of my build pictures showing a slot in the fin. What does the current drawing say?

dsc00835.jpg

dsc00836.jpg

Edited By Max Z on 13/03/2019 16:48:32

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us