By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Max Z

Here is a list of all the postings Max Z has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Baby Flea
08/09/2018 16:57:07

I re-read the chapter on the fatal flaw of the HM 14, and it was not so much the stick force as the travel on the pivot of the front wing, which in even a shallow dive was not enough to recover from it. Experienced pilots would realise they had lost control, and increased the dive angle to recover, only to increase the problem.

I shall not dive......sarcastic

Max.

08/09/2018 15:41:08

Thanks Geoff/JD8.

The Flying Flea that had the unrecoverable dive problem was the HM 14, on which the Carden-Baynes was based without any changes to the basic layout according to my reference (the book by Ken Ellis / Geoff Jones). The HM 16 was of later date, but never flown by anyone else but Henri Mignet himself. No plans were published, and only one example was ever built. The HM 14's wings are indeed further apart, but that did not prevent the (fatal) incidents from happening. The problem apparently occurred when more experienced pilots put the plane into a dive deliberately, which caused the stick force required to recover to increase by such an extent that the pilot could no longer regain normal flying attitude. If you just tottered around, the flaw never exposed itself.

I designed and built the HM 16 model earlier at a smaller scale, and it flew great, so fingers crossed...

Max.

08/09/2018 14:01:30

All done and ready for the inaugural flight:

p1030672.jpgp1030671.jpg

p1030670.jpg

p1030669.jpg

dsc03751.jpg

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 08/09/2018 14:03:08

Edited By Max Z on 08/09/2018 14:05:35

Thread: plotter/cutter
07/09/2018 13:51:28
Posted by Broken Prop on 07/09/2018 13:26:38:

The holder contains a small guillotine and guide for cutting the sheet off square afterwards.

The cameo has its own crosscutter on the rear. At first I did not understand how it was supposed to work, when I chose "move to cutter" all it did was move the top end of the sheet to the cutter, and there was nothing to cut off. Now I understand it is a setting, instead of automatically moving the knife back to the origin and roll back the sheet at the end of the session, you should set it to a margin to move forward, then hit "move to cutter".

I use rolls, I do not miss a holder. When the vinyl has been stored rolled it has a tendency to stay that way anyway so I just rest it on the table in front of the machine.

Edited By Max Z on 07/09/2018 13:53:49

06/09/2018 21:44:00

I cannot find the specs of either right now, but the obvious differences are the cutting width of 8" for the Portrait versus 12" for the Cameo, and the possibility to carry and use of two different tools in the same job for the Cameo. If I am honest, I have not found a realistic use for that yet, but the larger cutting width comes in handy at times.

06/09/2018 17:46:08

Alan, yes I need to do a bit more experimentation with that. I used airbrush masking tape with little succes, it does not stick well enough to lift the bits of vinyl off the backing without some help. I managed to work with it by prying the various parts of the decal loose with a scalpel. I also tried narrow strips of 3M Scotchtape, but these stick too strong and although it works you have to be very careful with removing the tape to prevent pulling parts away again, or worse, tearing them. Both methods do not go well with very small parts like the wheels and struts in my example.

I get the impression that the downforce of the cutting knife sort of works the edge of the vinyl into the backing material, once you pry a corner of the decal loose the rest comes off more easily. Again, maybe I should experiment more with the settings.

06/09/2018 15:33:31

dsc03751.jpgTo give you some idea: this was done with the Cameo. The main rectangle is 60 mm high and 48 mm wide, the little planes are just 19 mm span! I cheated a bit, I drew the wheels and struts with a fineliner. Not that they were not cut properly but because it proved impossible to lift them together with the main body of the plane keeping their correct positioning.

Edited By Max Z on 06/09/2018 15:36:28

06/09/2018 14:59:05

Silhouette Cameo, its accuracy amazes me everytime. The standard software will accept .dxf files besides a number of pixel file formats, I am using cad software to create the artwork, then export to .dxf and import into Silhouette Studio. I have not used the included drawing software much, but I feel it is a bit sluggish.

The Cameo is also capable of printing any picture on a regular printer, together with orientation marks, then cut out along the picture outline using these marks.

Thoroughly recommended!

Edited By Max Z on 06/09/2018 15:08:25

Thread: What would be a good first Balsa build
31/08/2018 08:03:14

For some simple fun, try the "Jimmy" from RBCkits. Download the manual from the site and see if you like it.

Max.

(Promoting my own stuff? Guilty, though I am not commercially involved in RBCkits)

Edited By Max Z on 31/08/2018 08:04:44

Thread: See if you can help me with this
28/08/2018 19:35:09
Posted by Martin Harris on 28/08/2018 19:20:41:

Those of us driving in the 70s and earlier will no doubt recall that you could identify older VW Beetles at night from their dimly glowing 6V headlamp bulbs straining to drag enough current through their wiring and switchgear!

Not being helped by the fact that both generator and battery were in the rear of the car....... I could tell you more about it (I had one), but that would be seriously OT frown

17/08/2018 13:57:00

Thank you Piers. It may come to a pullout plan, but I'll wait and see how it flies. It is deceptively difficult to build in places, I am not sure how I would cover that in a drawing. Examples are the wing leading edge, with its swoop cum kink at the dihedral break, and the strut angles to get the wing tilt bearings squared. Another thing are the struts holding up the rudder, with z-bends at the bottom and eyelets at the top, all with angles in different planes, and the length has to be exactly the same to have the rudder sitting up straight.

About the 30 four stroke: i really would not know, I'll have to see what prop at what revs is required to fly the beastie properly, maybe then you can decide yourself what IC equivalent it would need.

Max.

17/08/2018 12:01:08

Ready to cover&paint:

p1030661.jpg

p1030660.jpg

Thread: Why not 'cut and glide'?
09/08/2018 11:30:40
Posted by The Wright Stuff on 09/08/2018 10:55:06:Put another way, surely any model, whatever the wing load or drag, can be glided to a safe landing

One of the most epic examples in full size aviation being the Gimli Glider

Thread: Log in problems
27/07/2018 07:29:21

For the record, I was kicked out again yesterday. I removed the http password, let's see how it goes.

Max.

23/07/2018 17:55:01

Current state of affairs:

dsc03690.jpg

dsc03695.jpg

It may not look like it, but a lot of work has gone into the little critter since I last posted. Not all of it physical (although planking the top deck was a new experience for me, so that took a while), but also a lot of contemplation, what servo's and how to mount those, how to restrain the battery, how to make the landing gear and fit it, even what color I should put on, as you can see part of it is already on (Solartex) since I figured I could never reach the bit behind the wing struts with my iron so I had to do it before installing those.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 23/07/2018 17:56:47

Thread: Log in problems
22/07/2018 14:04:55

I like to test one option at a time, so for now I am going with Denis' first suggestion. I changed my Safari History setting to manual deletion, let's see what that brings.

If/when I am kicked out again, i'll delete the http site password. At least KiwiKid explained the two different entries in the list, but I'm afraid my login problem exists for a bit longer than a few weeks

Max.

22/07/2018 08:25:08

Hi Denis,

I did indeed look at that section, and made sure that the password for www.modelflying.co.uk is there. For some reason, there are two versions to be seen; one with an extension "-http" and one with "-https". I know what these mean, but do not understand why they are both there. Fwiiw, the same password is registered for both.

About the tip you found on Google: I am using a Dutch version of osx, and there is a checkbox on the top of the passwords section of the preferences window saying "Vul gebruikersnamen en wachtwoorden automatisch in", which translates as "Enter user names and passwords automatically". I wonder if this is the same as "Allow Autofill even for websites that request passwords not to be saved". Did you check yours?

Max.

(btw, I was logged in automatically this morning, so fingers crossed...)

Edited By Max Z on 22/07/2018 08:28:51

21/07/2018 22:21:58
Posted by Denis Watkins on 21/07/2018 21:59:12:it was sort of an effort to be neighbourly and helpful.

Which is much appreciated Denis, but I just could not see how it would affect retention of my login on the modelflying site. But I will give it a try nevertheless.

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 21/07/2018 22:22:23

21/07/2018 10:15:50

Nothing there about passwords, only "remove from history" (mine is set to 1 year) and "remove from downloads list" (set to 1 day)

21/07/2018 08:42:05

I have the same problem on the Imac. I faithfully check the box "Remember me?"every time, to no avail. Otoh login is pretty quick, and gets you back to the page you were on before, so I've just learned to live with it.

But it remains a strange exception, no other websites I know of have this (other than those that log you out deliberately, like online banking sites).

Max.

Edited By Max Z on 21/07/2018 08:42:39

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us