By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for McG 6969

Here is a list of all the postings McG 6969 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tony's Concorde
21/06/2018 08:12:05

Great job as usual, Tony. cool

Cheers

Chris

Thread: Film covering
21/06/2018 07:50:22

Hi to all,

IIRC, Balsaloc was a Solarfilm product. So it should be off the shelves very soon now. sad

A great alternative - cheaper & even easier - is to paint some diluted PVA (25%) to the surface and let it dry. As PVA is a thermoplastic, it will soften again with heat and bond perfectly to the covering glue.

If you prefer an even 'neater' job, it can be slightly sanded before starting the covering job.

Please note that as Aliphatic is resin based and not thermoplastic, it isn't suitable for this job.

@ Alejandro > nice to have you back to the forum. yes

Cheers

Chris

Thread: World Cup 2018
20/06/2018 20:02:44

No worries, BEB.

I started to 'like' John's 'ironic' humor since my first build blog here on the Forum. So, no way a few goals would make any difference to that.

Anyhow, 'jobs a good un'... being it England or the Devils.

Good luck to both of us, John.

But then, may I remember you that I'm leading you in the Fantasy GP ranking... devil ... that of course could be changing after the French GP results...  crying

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 20/06/2018 20:16:24

20/06/2018 18:09:09

... humm, yes... the main question remains "How far will England go"?

... but then, what about our Red Devils?

... you know, we have a few of them visiting England nearly all year long.

... what about competing each other in the next 'episode'... devil

Cheers

Chris

Thread: Chris's Vicomte 1916
19/06/2018 17:52:17

Hi again,

Not a great progression lately as The LotH’s new ‘career’ seems to incorporate quite a lot of ‘social’ duties. I believe I have been shaking more hands in the last week than in the last two years… surprise

Combined with some weather related gardening and household duties, this doesn’t allow me a lot of time in La Grotte.

But then, it seems to be a general trend around here as there isn’t a lot to read about ‘building’ at the moment.

Still, I managed to have a bit of progress to Vicky’s ‘vintage’ wheels with the reaming of the hubs allowing the insertion of some - 3mm ID - ABS tubing.

689_vix_wheelbearings_900.jpg

I’m using 12mm Neoprene cord for the tires and did some glue testing with a few short bits. Using Neoprene contact glue as well, I had a few ‘disasters’ at first with the glue joint sticking out of the tire. A really awful result… crying

I then tried with masking tape wrapped around both edges before cutting the cord to the right dimension, allowing the excess of glue removed together with both masking tape ’protections’. That worked (nearly) flawlessly. wink

691_vic_neoprenetest01_900.jpg

Still one to go for, but this is the result so far. cool

697_vic_neoprenetyre_900.jpg

The plan is to cover the wheels with Solartex, trying to imitate the fabric covering of the full size WW1 wheels. Not sure how I’ll manage that one. indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Neoprene Control

15/06/2018 19:11:56

Thank you for your input, Colin.

To be honest, for me it was the obvious choice regarding the 'contrast effect' that I wanted to obtain.

Once that decision made, I can now concentrate on finalizing the future decoration scheme for Vicky.

I think i must concentrate on the plane's vintage wheels next as well.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Deco Control

14/06/2018 19:07:34

Hello everybody,

I guess we’re now approaching the moment of truth regarding the covering test.

The first half of the test stab was covered with the ‘Linen’ Solartex. The result seems quite acceptable for my first try out with the product, but then it seems to work easily. Even easier than the HK ‘Bright Silver’ that I used on my former Bella Ballerina.

686_vix_coveringtest01_900.jpg

As David wrote earlier, the outcome is opaque and not really what I’m looking for.

The second half part got some ‘Natural’ applied the same easy way.

700_vic_coveringtest02_900.jpg

This seems a lot better and anyhow very close to my projected effect.

A later test of transparency with some backlight shining through finalized my decision to use the ‘Natural’ for Vicky’s ‘body’… surprise  wink

708_vic_coveringtest03_900.jpg

Quite pleased now to have made this test piece.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Transparency Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 14/06/2018 19:09:16

14/06/2018 10:20:41

Howitzer??? ... Didn't think about that one, Paul. surprise

You could be right if those old guns had some 120mm caliber as well?

I tend to believe it is just a tuna fish tin with a few layers of copper oil paint though... wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Tin Control

Thread: The Seagull has landed
13/06/2018 21:34:26

... or some 0,5mm / 100lbs Kevlar or Dyneema thread. Banggood and/or AliExpress are your friends. Free postage as well. yes

Cheers

Chris

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
13/06/2018 19:19:51

Superb build indeed, Tony. yes surprise

Cheers

Chris

13/06/2018 19:02:16

Hello again,

While I was doing some research for Vicky, I came across a Dutch Antiques Gallery website showing some pics of a Svenson Vicomte.

a020-vicomte-vintage-475euro_01.jpg

Now, the first thing I hope is that Vicky’s flying wires will be a bit more ‘functional’… wink

a021-vicomte-vintage-475euro_02.jpg

But I like the contrast between the frame and the covering which I suppose is some Japanese paper. Regarding the elevator control horn, it just needs a tiny bit of attention. cool

a022-vicomte-vintage-475euro_03.jpg

The decals seem to be genuine Svenson ones, but the wheels were very probably abandoned by their previous owners during D-Day at Omaha Beach some time back. I prefer not to give inappropriate comments concerning the cowl. angel

Anyhow, the good news is that this ‘thingie’ is for sale at €475,-… surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Antiques Control

13/06/2018 08:21:33

Thanks for jumping in, David.

I only have some 'Linen' (HK 2x5m) and 'Natural' (2x2m) at hand.

The days following Solarfilm's announcement, I tried to find some 'Antique' as well, but it was 'sold out' everywhere. I only could find 2 small rolls of 'Natural' from the UK and some 'Antique Yellow' from HK. sad

Also, I didn't realize that the Linen was opaque as I had never see it or use it. I thought it was just a matter of a slightly different color between the two. blush

Reading your post now, I guess I will have to use the 'Natural' if I want to obtain the type of contrast I would like.

Hakuna matata... well, some 'matata' here then... frown

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Choice Control

Thread: computer problems
12/06/2018 19:59:07

Hi Ernie,

I'm far from being a PC Guru, but the CS2 really is an old version, probably around 15 years old...

I'm running it perfectly on an old XP laptop though.

I'm asking myself if it just wouldn't be compatible with Win 8, 8.1 or 10?

If you can get hold of a Creative Suite CS6, that should work flawlessly with the later OS's.

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 12/06/2018 20:03:59

Thread: If WW1 had continued into 1919 - - - - - The Le Pere LUSAC 11
12/06/2018 17:45:13

Very nice little bird, Colin.

I will look great with its final deco scheme. yes

Cheers

Chris

12/06/2018 13:36:41

Hi Paul,

Of course tones and colours can often be of very personal preference.

I've been experimenting a lot with very dark - ebony like - tainting and staining as The LotH has a preference for very dark wooden deco items for her apartment. I must say that I like it as well. yes

But in this case, even if I would like to obtain a nice contrast, I believe a medium to dark oak type appearance would be preferable. We'll see what we can obtain. smiley

Thanks for commenting, young man.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Contrast Control

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
12/06/2018 09:41:51

Hi gents,

Here are a few pics of K1930 from the Landuyt Collection in Wevelgem, Belgium. In fact it's the one shown on Danny's Westburg drawings.

As Daithi wrote there are no hinges for the cowl, just a top and bottom row of 5 Dzus fasteners - plus a third Dzus at the back end - for each side panel. The top panel is removed in one piece and is showing some Dzus fixings around its perimeter.

fury_3.jpg

Here you can see the top panel sitting on the ground and a side panel resting against the right wheel.

The cockpit bottom panels are using the same system for fixation. Note the cowl 'ring' remaining in place just behind the spinner.

fury_5.jpg

fury_6.jpg

For those interested, there are some more pics in my Fury album.

Cheers

Chris

11/06/2018 18:48:33

Hello again,

I had to give some top priority to some graphical work for The LotH’s new - local political - career, so not really much progress to Vicky’s build. angel

I did some testing though, trying to define what kind of staining and covering to use to get the result I’m hoping to obtain.

For a first test, I used some standard sanding sealer to avoid the staining to penetrate into the balsa grain. Then the idea was to ‘taint’ some Balsaloc with a few drops of acrylic artist paint. Unfortunately the Balsaloc mixture started to ‘granulate’ right away… surprise

I then decided to give it a try with tainted diluted PVA as it is heat reactive as well.

672_vic_staintest01_900.jpg

Not that bad really, but it misses a bit of depth. Next step then.

I started over but this time giving the sealer a drop of acrylic as well. That became quite translucent after receiving a light rub with 400 grit sandpaper.

676_vic_staintest02_900.jpg

Then I used the PVA again with different concentrations of dark brown (Burnt Umber) and a try with the lighter and more ocher Raw Sienna.

I tend to like this recipe as it allows the wood grain to still be apparent but just accentuated. yes

Next step will be to cover one half of the test-stab with ‘Linen’ Solartex and the other part with some ‘Natural’ texture.

If somebody is interested to give it a try, here’s a close-up of the recipe.

683_vix_staintest03_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Burnt Umber Control

Thread: Fantasy Formula 1
11/06/2018 11:33:17

Hi to all,

Well, after my Monaco debacle - not being able to connect to the net to have at least an idea of the FP sessions - I can only be glad with my Montréal score.

Mind you, with only 3 predictions right, there is still scope for some improvement. wink

Congrats to John - without his 'plot' - and to Ade making Iqon very envious...

I guess Le Castellet could bring up some surprises to the F1 teams and their lack of useful data.

Anyhow "Vive le Ricard" as it is the French equivalent of the beloved Ouzo... angel

Cheers

Chris

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
08/06/2018 18:11:33

Electric as well for BE. cool

I'm the proud owner of a 3 speed vintage & chrome plated Princess ventilator.

Automatic side thrust & 18 inch four bladed prop... yes

07/06/2018 21:13:40

Thank you for your kind comment, Dwain.

I thought about the same regarding hiding that woodwork. crying

A lot of French Barons are covered the translucent way.

baron 1914.jpg

Above is the Ecotop Baron ARTF in yellow but obtainable in red as well.

Looking nice but lacking a lot of periodical realism IMHO. I would like to use a Solartex covering but keeping it as ‘translucent’ as possible with some stained and contrasting wooden bits under the covering.

We’ll see what I can achieve after some testing will be done. indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Contrast Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 07/06/2018 21:14:52

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues