By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for McG 6969

Here is a list of all the postings McG 6969 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Phil's F-86 Sabre build thread
23/01/2021 20:03:07

... looking at your garage, it looks like La Grotte's kitchenette when I'll have it protected from overspray, Phil...

Best of luck with your paint job, Chief. yes

Cheers & stay cool

Chris

Thread: Messerschmitt M-19 (Civilian)
23/01/2021 19:55:31

Absolutely great workmanship as usual, Dwain.

Wondering now if it could be finished during next week if your college closes... wink

Cheers & stay cool

Chris

Thread: Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog
23/01/2021 15:15:27

Hi again David,

I know close to nothing regarding the Fury, except that it was a carrier based variant of the F-86 with numerous adaptation mods.

Were you able to find some helping pics in my Dog 's albums(s)?

Cheers

Chris

22/01/2021 19:10:27

Hi David,

Thanks for visiting.

I thought I was feeling better, but I went out for the first time today having an appointment for our mandatory annual car check (MOT?). Back home it just felt like I just had half a marathon in the Sinaï desert... sad

Regarding the tailplane pics query, please remember that the Dog's tail-end is totally different than the the F-86. Fin, rudder and all the fairings are specific to the F-86D or K. Only the stab design is the same but without dihedral.

You can have a look in my albums of course, but I would suggest that you visit Phil's or Dirk's build logs for some more accurate visual info.

Glad to read that you ended happy with your Sauce experience.

Cheers & keep safe, young man

Chris

20/01/2021 21:06:03

Thanks for visiting, Dirk.

I bet that with your amount of glassing experiences, you must know about a few trapped bubbles... wink

Cheers & keep safe, young man

Chris

19/01/2021 21:23:52

Thank you for caring, Phil and Dwain. smiley

Yep, Phil. Even if I thought my fuse jig was long enough, I managed to mess it up.

There's still a child hidden somewhere in every man, Dwain... but this time I could have done without the bubbles, for sure. wink

Cheers & stay alert all

Chris

18/01/2021 20:01:18

Hello to all,

I started to finish the fuse glassing and to prepare it for the first coat of Sauce.

When cleaning up the shark mouth, I discovered that I made a real mess of it…

My own fault as I wanted to speed up the job a little and ended with a large amount of air bubbles trapped in there. Mr Dremel will be of great help here, I guess.

I only had two sessions last week as a typical Belgian flu took over midweek. Not pandemic related at all, but enough to ground a semi-retired old warrior.

Hope to be back on my feet soon…

Hakuna matata & stay careful, gents

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Flu Control

Thread: Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch
14/01/2021 14:18:56

... great job as usual, Dirk. yes

I have a - probably very daft - question > couldn't you leave the middle piece (between the 'legs' of the thrust tube) a bit more substantial, ie. leaving part of it still reinforcing the tube joint?

Of course, you might need that 'space' for equipment later on in your build?

Keep tracking on, young man.

Cheers

Chris

14/01/2021 12:32:54

... I just love your Yugo-stars, Phil. heart

Now the pupil really is proud of the teacher, Chief... wink

Cheers & stay careful out there

Chris

11/01/2021 20:40:39

Thank you for the kind words, Ade. yes

I do really remember the large amount of great brownie points you managed to get related to your 'golden' A4 sprayed in the conservatory... wink

But, no worries though. My Liquitex spray cans are water based and even the propellent is odourless and environment friendly.

In addition, I have that quite powerful extraction fan.

Thanks for being concerned with my health, young man. cool

Cheers

Chris

11/01/2021 18:33:14

... Georgije's office really looks splendid, Phil.

It surely deserved a new canopy compared to the somewhat 'dull' example, especially if you have still some budget to spend... wink

Don't forget the red/yellow outlined Yugo star on his left shoulder flag before you grab the canopy glue, young man... devil

Cheers & keep cool

Chris

11/01/2021 17:55:23

Thank you all for visiting and commenting, gents.

It really keeps the mojo up. yes

I was a bit surprised today that the epoxy still was a bit tacky. I decided to leave the cleaning up for later and I will leave the central heating turned on as the outside temps are very close to the freezing point nowadays.

I took some measures and decided that I will use the kitchenette to paint the Dog bits instead of converting the old garage box. idea

I'll need to modify the small kitchen into a 'spray booth' with the help of large sheets of painter's masking plastic, but I guess I'll enjoy the fact to have some correct heating, some decent light and even an extracting fan... hot cake cocktail

Cheers & stay prudent all

Chris

10/01/2021 20:37:22

Is there still somebody out there? …

No, I didn’t have a lazy week, but just a very slow progress in La Grotte.

I quite like glassing some bits but the fact is that it takes some time to cure before one can proceed with the next item or side.

I decided not to risk glassing the fuse in just two parts but went for having the fin fairings done separately both sides first.

1783_glassing_fairings_900.jpg

No worries about those black spots - the warrior has no gangrene - but my homemade filler seems to react strangely with the resin pigment…

Whoops… I suppose I went really heavy handed when I mixed the black pigment to my next batch of resin… blush

I decided not to bin it in these ‘hard’ times and went on using it on the ‘poor’ fuse. At least it gives a great contrast compared to the balsa wood. angel

1787_glassing_fuse_900.jpg

The Dog looks a bit like a Black Widow now… or should I say Black Whale… or just stick to the more official name of Stealth Dog… cool

Hakuna matata & keep careful all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pigment Control

Thread: Electric Grumpy Tigercub
10/01/2021 09:42:50
Posted by Chris Walby on 10/01/2021 07:55:01:

Wingspan: 53in (2125 mm)

Hey Chris,

... it seems that the inches are quite a bit larger in the UK than they are on the Continent... surprise

... but then that's probably the reason why I'm still an apprentice modeller...

Cheers & keep the faith

Chris

Thread: JB Aviation DH71 Tiger Moth
07/01/2021 21:47:22

... a really superb outcome, Robert.

I also have some 'antique' Solartex on the shelf for my 'back burner' Vicomte 1916... that is when I ever manage to finish that PSS Sabre Dog.

Congrats & Cheers, young man

Chris

Thread: Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch
05/01/2021 23:19:50

This is indeed awesome work, Phil.

I tend to have bit of experience with FG mouldings, be it at a larger scale, mostly 1:1.

But, to be honest, I don't see what Dirk will be coming up with?

As he needs a polished finishing at the 'inside' of the duct for thrust optimisation, I would have tried to create my 'end piece' in two haves right away from Andy's plug.

But then I guess that would be to 'simples'?

Cheers and keep careful, gents

Chris

03/01/2021 20:27:16

Hello out there,

Most of the Festivities are done by now, the reindeers are back home and Rudolf’s hangover is… over… wink

I had two quite long sessions this weekend at La Grotte and the fine sanding of the fuse seems finally to be done. Just a few corrections to handle at the shark mouth and at the turbine exit.

Nearly there for the glassing phase… cool

Hakuna matata & stay safe all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Hangover Control

02/01/2021 12:28:59

Thank you for your wishes, gents.

I do believe indeed it will be of great help for glassing, Saucing, sanding (again), up to the final paint coats.

But first some small balsa dings to fill and fine sanding the whole fuse... smiley sad wink

Cheers & keep cool

Chris

31/12/2020 18:18:35

... oops, nearly forgot...

Our best >

WISHES FOR A SAFE AND SPARKLING 2021

31/12/2020 18:04:59

Hi again,

Probably just a mini-milestone, but quite relieved I got there.

That long awaited fuse jig is NOW a fact, gents.

Assembly was close to straight forward thanks to my own accuracy regarding measuring nearly), sawing and drilling... wink

Even those plastic square bits were recycled from the old caravan bench. yes

In fact, I only needed to drill a hole in F10 as for the front I could use the blind nut originally foreseen to affix the potential balance lead behind the radome nose.

1762_fuse_jig01_900.jpg

1768_fuse_jig02_900.jpg

1772_fuse_jig03_900.jpg

1777_fuse_jig04_900.jpg

The threaded rods seems a bit 'long' as I took the original measures 'including' that radome nose... angel

Hakuna matata & stay careful all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Fuse Jig Control

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Jetworks
CML
electricwingman 2017
Subscribe now
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!