By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for extra slim

Here is a list of all the postings extra slim has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Winter seems to have arrived, who's been flying?
26/01/2015 21:53:26

Woah, would love to see a pic of the curare 25 Martyn. My little Tindal edge appears rare, I haven't seen another, but it is great, especially this time of year. Small nitro models seem to have died out, but I love mine

25/01/2015 20:03:56

6 of us out today up in cheshire, bright lovely morning with light but cold wind. Couple of guys with trusty WOT4's, few WOT foamies, bixler and a fun cub. I took my Pete Tindal mini edge, great little winter model, with an OS25fx, solid little plane, goes in the boot all up, frugal on juice (30%), bit of a pylon, sport aerobatic job, which handles breeze and bumpy ground well....very enjoyable, plus brushless zagi and suped up easystreet, until trying to setup wireless buddy on a Dx9 to a DX6i tested my patience and ended in failure still good to get out and enjoy the fresh air and good company.

Edited By extra slim on 25/01/2015 20:04:44

Thread: BMFA Area Chief Examiner standards
10/12/2014 15:36:12

BEB, apologies, fair do's, if aimed at me. Martin H...fair point and nicely put.

Mr Gorham....You appear disillusioned by lack of modeller involvement, yet by calling me and by inference all B certs who are not examiners selfish for not putting up for examiners!....well you have just answered the reason for your own disillusionment.

30yrs + of enjoyment and teaching in the hobby I love, an opinion expressed based on an all too familiar personal experience of the higher echelons of the hobby, and I'm called selfish......Martin....how can anyone given this type of view be tempted into trying to be more positive?.....

But back to the crux of the thread....two sides to every story of course...these guys who have been binned off without a reason, leaving people who cant fly to fill the gaps....Not a clear cut case by all accounts

09/12/2014 22:31:25

Many many times Martin, but am continually faced with edited highlights of this post, and fellow senior members who have tried, failed, got all the T shirts, got all the sad similar stories to these two poor guys. I love my flying, but I won't move house to a different area!...I'm not naive enough to presume it is every area....my posts are a bit tongue in cheek to emphasise a point, and I'm not ageist as I have learnt and continue to learn from my peers....but there is a face fit, old boys network, trouser leg rolled up, right surname, etc etc....and I would rather not set myself up to be treated as these two guys. I'll stick to my happy place....teaching...flying...HAVING FUN and relaxing.

09/12/2014 22:08:08

Mr Gorham....WOAH. I've hooked a live one......I have probably taught as many people as you, teaching since the age of 11....and am an instructor.....

Edited for insulting language

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/12/2014 23:25:02

09/12/2014 21:21:59

Do you know what, members at my club in the north west have been trying to get me to go for my examiners. I'm early 40's, B cert, been flying for 30yrs....and all this type of nonsense, underhand political back biting, rule book quoting, points scoring is EXACTLY why it is the last thing on my mind...

...totally dissolutioned with the way our hobby is going at this level......

Edited to remove insulting language

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 09/12/2014 23:23:02

04/12/2014 21:52:50

That's a proper kick in the nuts for you guys, I'd be totally hacked off. I didn't realise the BMFA and the FA had so much in common. The hobby needs enthusiastic doers, who can do!. Those that can, do, those that can't judge!!..I hear what you are saying fella. There's quite a distasteful under current to the way you have been treated, which is sad and worrying, as in order for the hobby to stabilise it needs to be far more transparent and open to change.

Whereas I agree to a point about not being able to fly the test is a big problem, I don't think it is that clear cut. It is a problem when the examiner can't show you what they mean else you would be just "like this"..."no"... "Like this...no!" Etc. but there are a few fellas who do what a pass looks like but not quite up to demo'ing.

What about the area chief has to take a B every year, if they can't/haven't got it, they can only award with another examiner?, if they have got a current B they no probs, that way the older fellas who have given up a lot of their time can still be involved/respected?

bottom line though IMO, you've been well and truly dumped on....shameful

Thread: I.c. or electric/silent - what do you mainly fly?
24/11/2014 15:29:52

Hey All

Flicking through the magazines which I get from UK and the states, the stats would suggest the target audience to be 99% electric!. It is getting a bit dull IMO. I like to see a bit of everything, even if it is not my cup of tea.

I personally fly all sorts and enjoy them all, big IC, small IC, large electric, small electric, sailplanes, heli's. The ARFT electric revolution has been positive in many respects but doesn't reflect the profile which I am seeing on the field and represented in the magazines.

Will be interested how the poll comes out.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us