By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for extra slim

Here is a list of all the postings extra slim has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Essential RC's videos
09/07/2018 13:42:35

yeah, thats a belter .. great

Thread: Power panel fire
25/06/2018 14:46:58

Lipo on starter for years and years, and one of these lipo glow drivers..**LINK**

Similar principle to the one Percy mentions, not as intelligent, but alot cheaper.. havent charged a 2200mah 3s so far since last season.. last ages.

Edited By extra slim on 25/06/2018 14:48:15

Thread: 2 Stroke deadstick issues
21/05/2018 14:57:37

weird, I had something similar years back, and eventually traced it to a transparent piece of flashing inside the fuel tank, which sucked onto the pickup... but you say you have changed the tank.. so perhaps carb O rings, overheating??.. very strange..

If everything else has been systematically changed, then as Jon says, you need to look at internals!. A fella's engine behaved similar this weekend, and bearing wear has made it run very hot and die... new bearings on their way.

Thread: UKCAA @ Watford 2018
21/05/2018 11:44:49

Looks fabulous and great photos.. i will hopefully be putting together a DSM Excelsior 150 this summer, with a Rossi 53 upfront, hopefully it will provide enough grunt.. got 11,400 out of it on test stand on a bolly 11.5x7 and 10% fuel..... I would be interested in model specs that attended.. would be interesting to see what people are using.. the 150 is a bit wee, but if it is ok, I would like to bring it along later this year, as a pal is also keen with a Joker and a lovely tornado... keep up the good work.. and thanks for posting

Thread: Powered by Laser, a gallery thread
08/05/2018 09:13:36

With the lovey weather this weekend, it saw a somewhat emotional outing of my DB Bi Stormer, bequeathed to me after the recent passing of one of mine and my dads dear friends, who tolerated me when I was a cocky teenager, down at the flying field. It originally flew with a merco 61, but I dropped in a laser 75, and my clubmates all agreed, a perfect match, and a lovely combination. I think our friend would approve.. lovely.

Thread: Drone Guinness World Record
03/05/2018 16:10:09

I was controlling the 3rd one in from left, it was tricky to keep track of !! cheeky

Thread: Sunglasses for rc flying
03/05/2018 16:05:02

Have had a pair of prescription Innovators from Rapid eyeware for over 12yrs (got them done at the RC hotel, same day service). They were getting long in tooth and a few small changes in prescription over the years, so just nipped online last week, entered prescription details, and bobs your aunties live in lover, they arrived today.. £80.. 4 sets of different/coloured lens.. wrap round to keep wind out... cant go wrong. Heres to another 12yrs!

Edited By extra slim on 03/05/2018 16:05:24

Thread: XCALIBUR JET ELEVATOR HORN FAILURE
06/04/2018 10:35:14

worrying, I have seen a growing trend of chest puffers with "I've got 10-15kg digital servos, cost me £70 each!".. but no attention is paid to pushrods, clevis', wire connections on pull pull, the area horns are mounted to on the airframe, the correct alignment, screws/bolts for horns, horn type, slop etc.... a control system is only as good as the weakest point... but so many think because they have spent a lot of money on a premium servo, they have done the right thing... WRONG..doh!

Thread: COX THIMBLE-DROME
04/04/2018 09:39:20

To echo Peter, I have over the last couple of years been passed loads of elderly IC engines which I have taken some pleasure in cleaning up and running up again. Of these, ranging from 0.20 Cox to 30cc petrol, the one which stood out and being plain evil, in terms of bad attitude, noise, scary.. was the Cox Tee Dee 09... It has a personality of its own, and screams that if it wasnt screwed down it would have you!!!.. My dad said he had an ETA which hated him!!, and attacked him every time..

I wonder whether anyone else has memories of engines which bite!!..

Thread: Acro Wot build advice
29/03/2018 09:55:55

Hi Neil, super looking challenger... the sense of achievement is priceless as you say. I have seen grown men weep when their creation takes to the sky and comes down in one piece. Good luck with your new one, and glad you enjoying all aspects of a great hobby.

Thread: And now for something completely different
23/03/2018 21:50:12

Sounds like something needs reversing?

23/03/2018 18:40:54

Hey BEB, good news on the leveller, shows your diligence on the mechanical side of things really paid off. 

Edited By extra slim on 23/03/2018 18:41:45

Thread: Mama Mia!
20/03/2018 16:27:07

You could do a "how to" on dynamix carbs Martin as I know they have a reputation of being somewhat a black art. A friend of mine has one on his webra 61 pumped, and has actually just bypassed the pump (another story), but I was amazed at getting hold of some instructions for the dynamix, and seeing the main needle was to be set at I think 6 turns out if I recall.

They seem to be marmite, some people think they are brilliant, others remove and put on a more mainstream one.

If you have the knack, perhaps you should share your sorcery

20/03/2018 14:26:24

Drool.. lovely.. have you experience with the dynamix carbs?.. is the 91 pumped?.. Good luck with the maiden, it deserves to fly well..yes

20/03/2018 10:13:12

Nice progress BEB, but you skipped over the bit I always found the most taxing in maintaining contact with the swash level tool THROUGHOUT the full pitch range... was this done just with the GPro??, I've not used one..

I also quickly found out that it was better to set the range fully at +- 12.. and then cut things down using the pitch curves on the tx

I think your heli will hover around 4 degrees with the correct head speed, and so you need your centre "throttle stick" position to be around 4 degrees for your first hover, not zero..like when you are setting up the full range.

17/03/2018 21:23:32

Good show Mr BEB, your next task is the one that I found was done in 5mins, or takes hours of messing with EPA and adjusting eyes...but is well worth getting just right.. the good news is after that is cracked the rest is a relative breeze albeit a methodical and time consuming one...good luck buddy.

Thread: New ASP .25 or second hand OS engine
12/03/2018 19:37:51

Quite a few BNIB ASP 25’s have appeared lately on well known auction site. One went for £20, one didn’t sell at £30!!. Like the fellas said, steer away from S/H unless you know the history, but given the price of BNIB on auctions it’s a no brainer IMO..

12/03/2018 15:52:30

Nice job BEB, I'm sorry to tell you that the assembly point you have reached is what I find the easy part!!.

The fun comes with obtaining a good setup. In my early days, I got a well known heli shop to set up my first one, only to find out later on, they had done a "bare minimum" job with a -2 - +8 range, so hovered around mid stick... but mechanically it would never reach the full extent of pitch ranges!!.. grrr...

I then had to re do the whole head etc to establish a baseline 0, and equal travel to +- 10 (latterly 12) etc. Since the first I have always taken my time to establish as near to a perfect setup as I could get, with everything mechanically set square at zero degrees, used the swash leveller to make sure the swash remained in contact with the tool all the way through the range, and then from there, establishing the curves etc was just sat with the tx and was dead easy. Initial curve was like setting EPA on a fixed wing, cutting travel down to -2 - 8, with 4-5 around middle stick, and then play with head speed to establish a decent hover.. flight modes 1 and 2, were then again easy to get V curves etc for when I started with aero's and inverted..

I actually put off learning to fly "whisks" until I was in my early 30's as peoples tales had put my off as if it was a dark art... I was looping and rolling etc within about 2 months.. if you are a decent "rudder" flying aero pilot, it really isnt too tricky.

Thread: Six Nations 2018
12/03/2018 14:09:29

Ponderously slow and predictable forward play, and completely static backs, playing 10 yrds too far up for England IMO.

Ireland grind out steady and error free well organised rugby

Highlight this weekend for me were the scottish backs, shame so many loose final passes, on another day they would have a back to back win.. very entertaining.

Thread: Low wing recommendation
12/03/2018 11:25:28

The gangster is indeed a super model. I have been surprised this year by a fellow club members Seagull 40 LOW WING SPORT - SEA10. I am not usually a fan of ARTF and Seagull especially, but this thing flew amazingly.. so slow and forgiving... it was his first low wing model and it couldnt have been better IMO... so much so, a couple of other club members rushed to get one...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us