By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Joyce

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Joyce has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Panther Trainer Autogyro
24/09/2020 15:48:38

Made a start on constructing the mast and head now that the parts have arrived from Sarik. Well impressed with the quality of the cut parts.

Concerned that my 20mm plastic hinges I have available for use on the lateral head tilt don't appear to be very strong so wondered if anybody replaced these with a dolls house style metal hinge.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
23/09/2020 14:50:51

Well our local Garden Center has been selling Christmas related items for the last 6 weeks, so you have to expect that this habit could easily get out of hand and spread just as quickly as COVID.

Was going to sign this as Bar hum bug but aware some do like to have Christmas all year long.

Got my present this afternoon from Sarik, lots of nice parts for a Panther autogyro.

Thread: Small self tappers
17/09/2020 17:51:02

Discovered that you can get a mixed set of 800 M2 screws on ebay if you search for "800PCS M2 Stainless Steel Metal Self-Tapping Screws Flat Head"

15/09/2020 17:42:58

Well to be fare I did look on the MF site before posting this query. Could not immediately see M1x5 but having scrolled down the page today note there is a button head panel screw in a gauge 0 close to my required dimensions.

13/09/2020 17:26:05

Could do with stocking up my deleted set of small self tapping wood screws in the region of M1 x 5.

Has anybody found a company offering a pre-selection of screws in varying sizes?

Thread: Import and VAT
11/09/2020 12:48:10

Have avoided buying from the US ever since I got stung with a $80 PSU kit several years ago. Looks like I will have to add Europe to the list of countries to be avoided at the end of this year.

Thread: Can I have two Life batteries powering my Futaba receiver?
04/09/2020 11:03:00

interested in this thread as tried to establish in the past what is the ideal set up within a larger model. Regarding the need to have dual batteries doubt this is actually required. Yes a battery could fail in flight but the most likely cause of brown out is incorrect capacity of a battery being selected or failure to charge the battery prior to use.

Therefore came to the conclusion that the ideal set up was a single large mah rated battery, two switches wired in parallel with the switch output wiring split to feed individually 2 separate Rxs.

Thread: Panther Trainer Autogyro
04/09/2020 10:20:59

Fiberglass sheet arrived from the far-east today but a quick measurement shows it to be 1.7mm against the 1.5mm specified. Is this going to matter for the blade plate?

Decent gearbox has also been sourced for the rotor head, so just waiting now for the laser cut parts to arrive from Sarik before I can start building.

Thread: Prostate Cancer
03/09/2020 17:49:22

Glad to see all are obviously in the land of the living and can at least add their input to this thread. Think the issue with this cancer is that there is no national screening programme despite it being the most common cancer in men. Shame not much pressure is applied to change this position. Unfortunately by the time symptoms are noticed it is probably a little too late for many.

03/09/2020 11:37:16

Surprised nobody else has joined this thread other than Keith in recent moths or is Covid still putting a halt on all visits to the doctors.

Trust all previous posters are still doing well.

Thread: Accident waiting to happen?
02/09/2020 15:53:19

Well at least this thread spurred me into buying some XT60 blanking caps today along with more connectors so I could standardize the connection method across my various models.

02/09/2020 13:10:58
Posted by Martin Gay on 02/09/2020 11:09:20:

Andy,

I don't know of anything to protect the balance plugs.

However, there are XT60 caps available on Thingiverse if you know anyone with a 3D printer:

**LINK**

Martin.

Edited By Martin Gay on 02/09/2020 11:09:44

Was thinking of buying a 3D printer last week but have no idea what to buy or what plastic types it would need to print. Quickly gave up the idea as unless you are an expert with CAD suspect they are of little use.

Thread: The Atom Special
02/09/2020 11:02:40

Just found you added 1 deg to the left in your original article published in RCMF.

02/09/2020 10:58:56

Yes I did put some left trim on Richard but not sure what the issue is. Possible is just a tweak required to the undercarriage. Note the motor has no offset. Should it have any?

Thread: Accident waiting to happen?
02/09/2020 10:02:11

Think it best to avoid any LiPo battery fire as the stench of the gas released is terrible, so intend to purchase some protective caps at the first opportunity. Unfortunately they seem to sell for silly prices on the auction sites. HK have nil stock in the UK or Eu.

02/09/2020 09:00:28

Thanks Martin, will go looking on the HK site today as there are several other parts I need. Obviously the balance connector is also a risk. Have you seen anything for those connector types?

02/09/2020 08:31:22

Probably we are all guilty of this (including myself). Although I probably increase the risk by storing batteries in an old ammunition case. Although I did mod the box to include vent holes to mitigate any build up of gas if a fire starts which would cause an explosion.

Have had one battery fire of a battery in a model, so I am very careful during charging now but don't pay much attention as to storage risk which is obviously wrong. So how should we all store batteries?

Does bring up an interesting side issue is that I have never seen any non conductive caps for the connector types we all use. Do they even exist I wonder.

Thread: The Atom Special
01/09/2020 17:31:31

Tried some rotor tests today but finding the walking pace runs all end quite abruptly when the rotors begin to turn at a faster rate with the model turning sharply to the right which cant be controlled with the rudder. Is the caused by the gyroscope effect of the rotor when the tail lifts from a three point contact with the ground?

Thread: Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter
29/08/2020 16:34:38

Got fed up of trying to get a decent cut of the original graphic as parts refused to cut with the laser visibly turning off in parts. So decided to generate a copy by tracing over the graphic. Whilst the path looks ok and is closed, again the laser is turning off at times in similar sections of the cut. Does anybody have any ideas why this may occur?

dsc01199_s.jpg

Edited By Andy Joyce on 29/08/2020 16:35:19

28/08/2020 17:55:44

File graphic is a jpeg, so do you suggest I do the edits in Inkscape or some other Windows 10 app?

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!