By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Joyce

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Joyce has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Outdoor Workshop
06/07/2020 10:38:25

Thanks all for the various advice and suggestions. Have asked for the shed to have an insulated floor as think I can insulate the walls and roof myself.

Diesel heater seems to be a viable option but strangely could not find one on flea bay when I looked last week. Little concerned that one of these types may result in spillages leaving an odour, but aware I did seem a thread recommending these as a good option.

03/07/2020 17:57:04

Well don't think I can change the direction of the garden, so stuck with south facing windows which I know will make the workshop hot during the summer.

Will look at insulating the floor and roof as a lot of suppliers don't offer that option.

Was thinking a diesel heater would be an option for the winter.

03/07/2020 15:47:22

Thinking of procuring a Summer house to use as a model workshop to be located in a south facing garden. Is there anything I need to ensure the design has to make it usable all year round. Assume I would need insulation on the walls, floor along with an extractor fan for the summer and a heater for the winter months.

Thread: Prostate Cancer
02/07/2020 09:42:41

See my oncologist this month Brian so will know more then. My initial PSA score was 16 but did fall significantly after starting the hormone injections.

Have you had a biopsy taken yet?

Thread: Returning after a long time away
29/06/2020 17:03:01
Posted by dan h on 29/06/2020 16:53:05:

Hi jim.

Yes it does have a removable backing which sometimes can be a right pita! Easy way to remove it is a piece of sellotape in a corner either side and pull apart.

Dan

If only you had told me that yesterday as spent at least 10 minutes trying to remove the HK backing film and ending up stabbing the end of my finger with a blade in the process.

Thread: Hanger Rash
26/06/2020 09:19:51

Have the opposite issue during this warm weather spell. Finding that some wrinkles in a HK transparent covering are slowly disappearing this week.

Interested to note how low a temperature people are using. I have typically used 120C to tacking down and 135C for shrinking. Should I now be using a far lower heat setting?

Thread: Prostate Cancer
26/06/2020 09:08:24
Posted by FlyinBrian on 25/06/2020 08:15:26:

I am a late comer here but was diagnosed April 2019 after a long wait to see a consultant. I am actually very disappointed with my local NHS as I had had urinary problems for a while before anyone suggested I have my prostrate checked. I am 72 and started having trouble in mid 2018 which was treated with antibiotics but did not fully go away.

Anyway bottom line is I have just had another scan as it seems it may have spread to my bones and Lymph nodes, possibly to my bowels too. - SCARY

I am waiting for the results and an appointment with an oncologist - hopefully soon.

Sorry to hear that this diagnosis has come late Brian. My cancer was only picked up be shear chance in my attempts to get a scan for my bad back.

Think this of what comes of the UK not having a national screening policy for Prostrate Cancer.

My wife has friends husband in a similar position to yourself so assume they will now put you on hormone injections to lower your testosterone.

Good luck with your treatment.

26/06/2020 09:01:48
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 24/06/2020 22:38:53:

HI Andy,

Largely on account of reading this thread and a having displayed a few of the usual symptoms, I went for a check up. Fortunately all clear on the PSA front. It's easy to be complacent until its too late though, so I would encourage everyone on here to get tested.

To all those that have posted so far, keep up the good work!

Best wishes
Robin

Glad to hear all is OK, at least you can strike that problem of the old age list!

24/06/2020 18:37:03

Surprised we don't have any new posters to the prostrate club. Sure it will not have cured itself just because we are all stuck at home self isolating.

So come on chaps a PSA test is very quick and could save your life.

Plenty of free advice to be had here.

Thread: Muffler choice
23/06/2020 16:23:47

Ignore my post Ted it was an NGH GT35R that is impossible to start when inverted. Was looking for an engine with a rear carb and exhaust.

23/06/2020 15:28:45

Was looking at that engine myself last week as thought it would be a good candidate for my Seagull Sparrowhawk, but read it very difficult to start when installed inverted.

Have you tried running it yet?

Edited By Andy Joyce on 23/06/2020 15:29:08

Thread: Shrink Film Covering Technique
22/06/2020 18:31:59

Thanks Ron, finally managed to get a half decent surface using a standard iron and running a separate strip over the wing fillet. Like the idea of using copper pipes though.

Bob.. Took the covering off the tail this afternoon. Came off really easily so shouldn't have worried. Least I can now repair the minor imperfections in the balsa skin.

Thread: Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter
22/06/2020 08:53:59

Has anyone had any success in cutting out lettering from Solartrim. If so, what speed is advised.

21/06/2020 18:26:58

Knew the answer before I asked the question Bob. Just confirms what I thought!

21/06/2020 16:47:29

I certainly purchased Balsa lock last year, so assume its available. Alternatively you could try Eze Kote which hardens the balsa.

21/06/2020 15:11:08

Well having completed the fuselage so now need to recover the tail surfaces. Given I cant dismantle the joined tail plane as it is stuck firmly in place it will be a hassle to remove the existing shrink film. Will it be possible to simply cover over the existing film or am I likely just going to end with a poor surface with lots of trapped air?

Edited By Andy Joyce on 21/06/2020 15:19:22

Thread: Seagull Kits Sparrowhawk
19/06/2020 15:46:04

Crack is quite lose at one end so will try some sellotape on the red trim section as this will be hidden. Have a bottle of formula 560 intended for canopies so assume this should work will it not.

19/06/2020 15:23:20

Do you suggest I first tape the crack from the inside and then run a bead of glue on the outside?

19/06/2020 15:13:12

Given it looks like an impossibility to find a replacement has anyone any thoughts how the existing canopy can be repaired.

Wondered if I could stick a strip of film on the inside but not at all sure if this will work.

dsc01168 (medium).jpg

17/06/2020 13:18:31

Think you could well by right Trevor. Just put some balsalock on the fairing to assist stick down and will try a couple of slits in the tight compound curves areas fist before I rush cutting off the entire lower section and replacing.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!