By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Joyce

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Joyce has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter
14/11/2019 19:17:42

Thanks Flynn, Re installed inkscape and followed a set of instructions I found on the web to generate gcode which it did, but what a faff.

Will go looking for dfx2gcode as Inkscape does not seem to be a User friendly interface at all.

Andy

13/11/2019 18:56:26

Thanks Flynn

Was tempted to go down the Eleskmaker route if only to ensure I could get working software. However down loaded their application last night and the input requires gcode.

At a loss at the moment as how to produce gcode files on the cheap. My version of autocad 2104, freecad, inkscape nor wintopo appear not to have the ability to produce the required output.

Thanks for the link re the 6W laser as was going to buy a GNC without a laser first just to see if I could get a working interface going, with perhaps a mod to add a 3rd axis for cutting slightly thicker objects.

11/11/2019 17:48:53

Spent most of the day pondering over e##bay and bang##good to try to make a decision on what to buy. Gut feeling is that the Eleksmaker pro at 2.5W is too small, so thinking 5.5W would be better but its a complete minefield regarding products available. Most of which lack any proper specifications.

Seen copies of the A3 pro with a 5.5W laser which have a neat wiring arrangement, but the seller has a very low score so reluctant to use.

Open to any suggested source for a suitable product. Otherwise Black Friday cant be that far away to see is the standard Eleskmaker goes on sale.

09/11/2019 10:48:51
Posted by Martyn K on 08/11/2019 17:46:15:
Posted by Andy Joyce on 07/11/2019 18:36:41:
Posted by christophe dauvergne on 04/11/2019 16:33:07:

Hello

how many passes does it take to cut 2mm balsa

Can you give your complete setup as well as the software you use for the cut.

Regards

christophe

Think this must be a closed forum topic, as I also did not get a response to a general query on the topic. Still from what I can see it looks feasible cutting balsa and thin ply so have re-started learning Autocad to allow me to draw objects in CAD. Think without an ability to generate drawings, one of these cutters are going to be money wasted.

Not closed at all. I think we are still experimenting. I am avoiding using full power. At 2000mm/min, I need 2 passes on 0.8mm balsa and 4 passes on 1.5mm balsa so guessing 8 passes. Regarding ply, I still haven't got through 3mm liteply but am upto 20 passes and about 2/3 through at 500mm/min. Still 80% power.

Martyn

Thanks very much Martyn. Still pondering if this is another toy that will not be used as have too many unfinished models without starting yet another

Out on interest has anyone tried cutting covering film such as solarfilm to make complex shapes.

Andy

07/11/2019 18:36:41
Posted by christophe dauvergne on 04/11/2019 16:33:07:

Hello

how many passes does it take to cut 2mm balsa

Can you give your complete setup as well as the software you use for the cut.

Regards

christophe

Think this must be a closed forum topic, as I also did not get a response to a general query on the topic. Still from what I can see it looks feasible cutting balsa and thin ply so have re-started learning Autocad to allow me to draw objects in CAD. Think without an ability to generate drawings, one of these cutters are going to be money wasted.

Thread: Soldering iron or flame torch
04/11/2019 19:09:47

For piano wire I purchased a 150W iron from the far east on ##bay. Think it was less than £12. Quality is excellent and easily solders piano wire of any size. Search for; 100/150/200/300W Electric Soldering Iron High Power Copper Soldering Chisel Tip.

For silver soldering large items I use a standard plumbers torch but this can take some time to bring larger items to a cherry red. For small items such as 1/4" thin wall stainless steel tube I use a simple cooks torch.

The trick to all soldering is to select a good quality solder and its related flux. For me you cant beat good old 60/40.for most jobs.

Piano wire can be very difficult to solder with a small iron, which I think is due to the carbon content. Threaded push rods also seem to suffer the same issue.

Thread: silver solarfilm
26/10/2019 17:29:23

Will go digging into my paint cupboard as sure I purchased some balsaloc many months ago.

Thread: Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter
26/10/2019 16:58:33

Came across this thread and it sparked my interest in laser cutters again. Looked at one of the far east 40W units some time ago, so now surprised that a 3W laser can cut ply. If I was to purchase a cheap kit to give it a go, what should I be looking at purchasing?

26/10/2019 16:32:16

Sorry yes it is solartex.

New digital iron arrived today so gave it a quick go. Certainly it is a lot better than my travel iron but the solartex still marks if the iron is held to aggressively to the airframe to get it to stick down. Using a dab technique seems to work far better then sliding the iron back and forth.

Thread: Fieseler Storch
25/10/2019 17:15:41

Well done Martin, at least you have a completed model. Still have a long way to go on my build which has a slightly larger wing span of around 86".

Tank has been constructed and the radio gear is now well tucked away under the cockpit floor.

Currently stuck on the wing struts as need something strong as it will be functional and will take the flight and landing loads.dsc01085 (medium).jpgdsc01087 (medium).jpg

dsc01088 (medium).jpg

Edited By Andy Joyce on 25/10/2019 17:16:08

22/10/2019 19:42:14

Well taken the advice given and have now purchased a digital prolux PX1363GB iron. Will report on how it performs in due course.

22/10/2019 19:21:34

Yes it definitely is Solarfilm, purchased about 2 - 3 years ago. Do also have some very old silver solarfilm which must be 10 + years old and that suffers also from the same problem in terms of its inability to stick down to hardwood and surface marking. Given the poor results so far, will now purchase a proper film sealing iron more because the lead on the travel iron is now showing signs of wear and tear but have little faith that this will solve the issue. However I may be proved wrong!

If I ditch the 10m roll of solarfilm, what fabric covering does anyone recommend given I date back to good old days using fabric and shrinking dope in the 60's for all models greater than 60" wing span. Model that I am working on is a 1/4 Flair Tiger Moth which will use a GF38 petrol power plant.

21/10/2019 19:05:05

Can someone please explain the trick of covering open structures using silver solarfilm.

Using a travel iron which I wrapped the sole plate with an old hankerchief but still ended up with marks on the film surface.

Aware some will say buy a dedicated film iron but personally cant see the difference as both have a flat stainless sole which is heated.

Also found the film very reluctant to stick down on the hardwood parts so gave these a pre-coat of PVA.

Anyway, open to suggestions before attempting the next wing panel.

Edited By Andy Joyce on 21/10/2019 19:17:26

Thread: CAD Tool
18/09/2019 18:21:00

Well looked again at what I sent to the cutting company and it was a .dxf.

May well have to try to find some other cutting company that will handle other formats other than dwg or .dxf. Any recommendations?

17/09/2019 18:58:18

A little of subject but sue its all semi related as 3D printing must start with a CAD drawing.

Anyway using FreeCad V18 to draw some small ribs which I need cutting. Unable to get the package to output a viable drg file to send to the laser cutting supplier. Has anyone had these type of issues before?

Andy

Thread: Prostate Cancer
16/09/2019 07:33:51

Spoke to soon about the hot flushes, on the positive side its the only thing that is heating up the bedroom.

15/09/2019 18:23:17

Thanks Glyn for the info. Believe I get 20 treatments, but sure I will find out when I next see the consultant. Interesting about the enema, was not aware of that. Had a similar experience for a colon examination. Thought it had not worked then boy or boy did it do its job. Worst was the taste of the liquid they gave me.

No hot flushes as yet but certainly the interest in ones manly duties has reduced, so the drug must be working.

12/09/2019 18:14:59

That's good to hear Martian, hope it stays around that value. My count was 16 which dictated further investigation.

11/09/2019 19:52:22

Now been on my hormone treatment for 1 month so interested to know how all others are doing who are going down the radio therapy route. No side effects with the treatment so far, but don't know quite what to expect.

Thread: Svenson 1/6 Scale Storch
08/08/2019 16:49:40

dsc01077 (medium).jpgAny suggestions as to a suitable tank welcome.

dsc01075 (medium).jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us