By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Symons - BMFA

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Symons - BMFA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BMFA site
07/10/2019 10:32:56

All updated and back to normal now.

07/10/2019 10:18:00

No need to worry (or ring), SSL certificate has expired, its renewal is in hand. Should be back to normal very soon.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
01/10/2019 19:25:39
Posted by Cuban8 on 01/10/2019 12:36:23:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 29/09/2019 20:39:32:

Its worth coming along to Saturdays Achievement scheme roadshow if anyone is interested in the latest position.

Dave Phipps will be speaking about the latest developments.

For more details and to reserve a place see

https://achievements.bmfa.org/achievement-scheme-roadshow-5th-october

Any chance of having this streamed via Facebook or YouTube?

Will depend on the quality of the wifi at teh venue, its a possibility though. Having said that its will be worth coming along in person.

29/09/2019 20:39:32

Its worth coming along to Saturdays Achievement scheme roadshow if anyone is interested in the latest position.

Dave Phipps will be speaking about the latest developments.

For more details and to reserve a place see

https://achievements.bmfa.org/achievement-scheme-roadshow-5th-october

Thread: Security of Information
23/09/2019 20:25:51

Your personal data is extremely secure and would not be shared with anyone without your express consent.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
11/09/2019 21:51:57
Posted by john stones 1 on 11/09/2019 21:50:18:

Make it a readable link someone please, I'm all of a dither. wink

Was posting from my phone so couldnt. Check on BMFA website.

11/09/2019 21:22:24

An update An-update-on-the-UK-regulations-for-model-flyers-a-bit-of-good-news-at-last

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 11/09/2019 21:56:16

05/09/2019 10:00:20
Posted by Cuban8 on 05/09/2019 09:39:32:

Let's not forget that we're just mulling over various ideas and possible future scenarios here - not actually making law. A few mates chatting in a virtual pub but without the face-to-face interaction. However, what we say on all sides of the argument is reflected in the hundreds of BMFA clubs up and down the country, so good to see that Andy S. is keeping tabs.

I don't consider it negative or harmful to be worried about things that are seemingly out of our hands & I still hold out hope for a last minute change in the rule makers stance, my positiveness.

Keep calm and go flyinglaugh.

Edited By Cuban8 on 05/09/2019 09:40:32

Potential new blood to our sport will run a mile if they read this thread.

05/09/2019 09:18:26
Posted by Old Geezer on 05/09/2019 00:29:11:

Club AGM tonight ( Central MFC ) -- it was decided that if/when registration becomes a legal obligation - that along with the obligatory BMFA membership and associated insurance, the member will be registered and his airframes will have to be appropriately 'labelled'. The registration will be the responsibility of the individual member.

The point was made, and accepted by the members present, that once the legislation has been enacted members will need to be 'CAA registered' and the airframe correctly labelled - as failure to comply with the law as enacted would in all probabuliy invalidate their insurance as well, as flying a model without 'registration' would be a criminal offence. (In certain circumstances I understand that a criminal act committed whilst driving your car can invalidate your motor insurance.)

Your club has not only jumped the gun, it has jumped a whole row of them!

The situation at the moment is very fluid, neither the final registration requirements for association members or the insurance implications are in any way clear yet. There are meetings going on as we speak with the BMFA CEO, more for tomorrow and Monday, with various sections of the DfT, ministers and the CAA. It is a long way from a done deal yet.

All the negativity around at the moment is doing more harm to our sport than anything else get out and do some flying!

01/09/2019 09:05:48
Posted by Jason-I on 01/09/2019 07:41:11:
Posted by Don Fry on 01/09/2019 06:38:03:

Paul, the BMFA have common qualification requirements at their events. A, B, LMA eqivilents, European equivalents. You need to get your professional body to persuade the BMFA your training is sufficient in the required procedures. It's not the job of the BMFA to find out for you.

An alternative is to join the BMFA, and take a B test.

Edited By Don Fry on 01/09/2019 06:40:49

Can you take your 'B' test with a drone?

Yes, you don't even have to be a member

29/08/2019 11:01:26
Posted by Don Fry on 29/08/2019 10:47:32:

Andy, I accept some clubs have safety issues peculiar to the site, rights of way spring to mind. But a demonstration that a pilot can keep the toy aircraft over the dead area in front of the pilot box, and crash in safety there, is a more pertinent skill than a figure of eight. Half of the clubs in this the U.K., by your numbers, have a policy which might be hindering the acquisition and retention of new members. My personal opinion. But the points have been made. let it rest there as it's history now.

A fig 8 is a demonstration that the pilot can keep the aircraft in the correct area.

29/08/2019 10:04:37

Only 50% of clubs use the achievement scheme as a requirement for flying unsupervised, it is however at a perfect level for that as anyone not capable of passing an A perhaps isn't yet competent enough to fly unsupervised. (my personal opinion)

Of course all clubs should have something in place to ensure those flying unsupervised are safe to do so. (Duty of care etc)

Thread: BMFA number
29/08/2019 09:59:43

Martin

You should find in your inbox an email so you can set your password for the classifieds, currently it does require a separate login at the moment although hopefully we will just have a single login for both before renewals for 2020.

When any individual membership is renewed, with through the office, via a club or directly online the member receives an email with documents attached, assuming of course a current email address on record.

Sorry it has taken a few days to sort out but to be fair it was Monday when you emailed and we have been rather busy with the Nats, and recovering from he Nats.

Thread: August Nationals 2019
26/08/2019 02:40:01
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 25/08/2019 16:46:03:

The only gripe is, and I would appreciate an explanation from the BMFA, is why was I held in a queue until 18.30 since all full size flying had long finished? This spoiled it a bit for a lot of people.

Quite simply because flying hadnt long since finished. The last touchdown was 5.20pm, they then have to clear the pan before the airfield was handed over, which happened at 5.30pm. We then have to get the campsite setup, fire lanes marked ropes up, banners and signs positioned before we could let people on to the campsite. That took about 45 minutes after which those in the holding area were released in a safe and controlled manner.

Thread: Upcoming BMFA Achievement scheme workshop and roadshow!
10/08/2019 09:47:58

Achievement scheme workshops and roadshows are a great way to keep up with whats going on with the BMFA Achievement Scheme.

There is an examiners, instructors and candidates workshop on Saturday 7th September at Woodspring Wings MAC, these workshops are a great way to meet other examiners and instructors and to compare notes, well worth the effort to attend. For more details and to reserve your space see

**LINK**

Then on 5th October the Achievement Scheme Review Committee will be hosting a Roadshow at The Ship Inn, Thornbury Rd, Alveston, Bristol BS35.

We are very please to announce that David Phipps, BMFA CEO, will be joining us for the Roadshow to discuss the latest regulatory changes and how they may affect model aircraft flying and the achievement scheme. This will be an ideal opportunity to find out the very latest position and ask any questions you may have.

For details and to reserve your place see **LINK**

Thread: Getting New Members
30/07/2019 07:21:09

Excellent work Cliff (and Cymaz) getting out to see the general public really does work in both letting them know what we do but also in recruiting new blood, following these types of static displays up with a club open day where people you talk to can come along and have a go using the buddy box has really worked well this year for clubs that have done so. Keep up the good work. We will be expanding the Flightfest theme for 2020 as it has worked well for clubs. If any clubs needs any assistance contact the BMFA office and we can send promo stuff, print posters, come and try vouchers etc etc, also get the simulator to you if its at all possible.

Thread: BMFA Buckminster Fly-in, August 2nd - 4th
23/07/2019 18:43:49

Just a reminder about the next Fly-in at BMFA Buckminster, not long now!!

Should be a fantastic weekend, focus is on relaxing flying and fun!

It is okay to just turn up but it would be helpful if you are planning on camping to let us know in advance using the booking form at **LINK**

Thread: Cyclists Amongst Us
11/07/2019 12:31:59

I have a Giant Defy Advanced Pro carbon roadie for serious riding, its the one I did the 100 miler on to raise money for the Air ambulance a couple of years ago. Also got a Whyte Suffolk roadie which I put 32mm tyres on for audaxes and more leisure riding.

Been a bit too busy to get out much this year though. sad

Thread: Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones
09/07/2019 18:40:37
Posted by Cliff Bastow on 09/07/2019 18:28:59:

We are doomed lads!

Did anyone else notice that within three years all uavs will have to carry electronic identification devices?

Sigh! No we really aren't doomed.

Thread: BMFA Buckminster Fly-in, August 2nd - 4th
26/06/2019 16:39:58

After the success of last years ASRC hosted fly-in at Buckminster we are doing it all again this year.
A relaxed fly-in, no certificates required for under 7kg but a great opportunity to seek guidance or attempt a test as we will have examiners and instructors on hand.

No gas turbines due to standing crops.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 26/06/2019 16:40:38

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us