By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Symons - BMFA

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Symons - BMFA has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CAA ID number discussion
24/02/2020 15:56:48
Posted by Gary Manuel on 24/02/2020 15:26:42:

Mike,

I read THIS exactly the same way as you, and can't think of any other way of reading it - members of one of the named associations are exempted from registration until 30th June (at which point, new regulations will apply). It also revokes record 1332.

I've just printed out 20-odd Operator Number labels but am reluctant to fix them because they are only temporary - until July, when new regulations come into effect.

Barrie,

Andy may not be aware of this as the BMFA exemptions page is still showing 1332, which is now revoked

Yes I am aware of it, just haven't had chance to update the exemptions page yet, its on my list of jobs to do.

The exemption rather surprisingly does exempt members from registering until the end of June, so there is no rush to label your aircraft, the CAA have said if you have an Op ID you should label your aircraft though. You will almost certianly find that the current OP id will change but not until first renewal, after which it is almost certain to remain the same year on year.

22/02/2020 17:44:39
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 22/02/2020 17:29:30:
Posted by ken anderson. on 22/02/2020 15:54:09:

hello ken, I'll be printing mine on my pc/printer. Then mounting inside the model/s with a bit of good quality clear tape, bearing in mind that they are supposedly going to be re-issued/changed every 12 months.

Can someone please explain to me why our OP number should change every 12 months? I still have the same CAA professional pilots licence number I was issued with 44 years ago and my driving licence number, even longer.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/02/2020 17:30:30

Will most likely change at first renewal but stay the same after that.

Thread: BMFA Membership Card
22/02/2020 14:33:27
Posted by Nigel Heather on 22/02/2020 13:07:00:

My card has just turned up, all seems correct but I notice the validity date

Valid: 1/1/2020

Expires 31/12/2020

Now I'm not going to moan about the 52 days use I missed out on and demand a pro-rated 49.7p back (yes I have accounted for it being a leap year) but more to question what happens next year.

I expect the card process to be more mature and established by then but how do BMFA and Vectis intend to handle continuity. The BMFA renewal window doesn't even open up until the first weeks of December - do I believe that even if I pay up promptly on first available day that BMFA will take my order, get it across to Vectis, who will print my card and send it out to arrive before the 1/1/2021 - not really, I would be presently surprised if that could be achieved, but I won't be holding my breath.

So what happens then as we become unaccustomed to using the cards - are we going to have to deal with a gap at the beginning of each year when our membership of the scheme has expired.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 22/02/2020 13:08:03

Actually that is exactly how it will happen and indeed is happening going forward from now. It was only a week or so before the renewal window opened for BMFA 2020 membership that everything was agreed with the new membership cards, what we didn't realise was they couldn't start producing the cards until the BMFA rewards site was up and running, we had thought that cards would be produced within 7 days of being ordered even before the rewards site was launched, they will be going forward. The rewards site was ready late January, wisely before jumping in and producing all the ordered cards we had a very small run produced (just 2, the CEOs and mine) to check all was ok mine arrived (on a friday) and all looked great, so we gave the nod to start production which was started (the stopped pretty quickly) on the Monday, as thats when the CEOs card arrived and we found an issue (it had my membership number on it, the field used had gone on as a fixed text field rather than a dynamic data field) that issue was corrected and samples again produced then production started again, then another issue cropped up where a member has lots of achievements, I have quite a few but some have more and it was knocking the card layout squiffy. So production stopped, the issue sorted and now all is good. So a fee delays caused by misunderstandings and technical issue, frustrating but no big deal in the grand scheme of things.

The process going forward is that any cards ordered up until Tuesdays at midnight are sent to the printers on Thursdays ( to give time for members to check their data an ensure achievements are all uploaded etc) then they should be printed and posted and get sent out by the Monday. So hopefully going forward they will arrive within 7 to 10 days of being ordered.

22/02/2020 11:29:27
Posted by Kevin 216 on 22/02/2020 11:04:43:
Posted by Dickw on 22/02/2020 10:52:12:
Posted by Doug Campbell on 22/02/2020 10:00:59:

Mine has still not arrived. That is two deadlines missed. I know I dont need it and not worried about it, I must admit to some annoyance over the matter. I have been mislead by the BMFA and CAA who also have not been totally honest with me.

I don't think anyone is trying to mislead you. Latest update here.

Dick

Apparently we should have our number by Monday - I think I just saw a pink pig fly past my living room window!

I think there is every chance you will have it, we are getting lots of the emails for those members who don't have an email address through in to the office (we have a system where we receive their email) the DMARES team are working on it over the weekend and the rate they are coming through I suspect they will be done unless they have a technical issue of some sort.

21/02/2020 18:14:52
Posted by Barrie Lever on 21/02/2020 18:05:49:

Chaps

Looks like there is a heap of money to be saved with the BMFA membership card, seems like you might have to slightly change your shopping habit to using these digital gift cards alike Andy eluded to.

If you can shift your mind on that there seems to be pretty much 5% of at Tesco's on store shopping about the same at John Lewis, Waitrose and M&S.

Seems like this model flying just got a lot cheaper.

Please pick me up if I have got this wrong.

Barrie

You have it about right, we have just got 5% of our weekly shop at tesco by buying a preloaded gift card before we went. Take about a minute to do and just scanned my phone at the till. Really quite simple but just a bit different to normal.

21/02/2020 12:46:16
Posted by Doug Campbell on 21/02/2020 12:43:42:

Still no sign of my operator ID. Should it have arrived by today?

It will be with you before much longer, however there is really no need to worry about it, it will arrive when it arrives and when it does put it on or in your aircraft.

21/02/2020 11:47:55

Working here on PC and android

21/02/2020 10:56:32

The primary purpose of the card is to act as a physical membership card, while in our research 65% of members were happy with the paperless documentation some wanted a physical card and after looking around this seemed a good way of providing it as an option but while giving the opportunity to easily recover the costs of the card. However I fully expect to recover at least my cost of BMFA membership, CAA registration and the card.

21/02/2020 10:47:50
Posted by Gary Manuel on 21/02/2020 10:45:38:

Ahhhhh - I see!!!!

I've now received my card and it comes with an explanation and a bit of a surprise.

In addition to the card being a Vectis Card, you also get access to "the BMFA Reward scheme". This does give discount at LOTS of different outlets. The list is very impressive! The discounts offered by the BMFA Reward Scheme are either via digital discount cards or via Reloadable discount cards. Not as convenient as the Vectis Card, but still worth knowing about.

Interestingly, the covering letter states ".... as a member of the BMFA, you have exclusive access to our reward scheme .....". It does not say that this is tied to the plastic membership card, so maybe this is available to all members? It's certainly worth looking into, but for now, I'll just make use of it as best I can.

It's tied to having the card.

21/02/2020 10:40:09
Posted by Nigel Heather on 21/02/2020 10:15:05:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 21/02/2020 10:09:31:

On the card and getting discounts, so far for me its working well, saved £7.00 at Argos and another £5 at B&Q so far. Not bad for £3.50.

I'm decorating the house at the moment so scope for more savings too.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 21/02/2020 10:10:08

Rubbing it in that you have your card devil

Cheers,

Nigel

Me??? Never!!! (Sent you a message )

21/02/2020 10:37:46
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 21/02/2020 10:31:22:

Gary there seems to be a lot more retailers listed now I have my card and am logged in.

Andy - Do you just present the card at the checkout? It's not actually clear. When I'm in the rewards website and go to a specific retailer theres a bit of a description of the retailer and the option to buy their branded reloadable cards at a discount. I'm hoping that is just another option, rather than being the only (tortuous) way to use the discount?

Some places you do, Go-Outdoors, Thorntons chocolates to name 2.

B&Q and Argos I bought a gift card in advance at the discounted rate, both orders were done click and collect though so I filled the cart, so I knew the total, popped on to bmfa-rewards, bought the cards and redeemed them immediat;ly online, took no time at all and not what I would call tortuous.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 21/02/2020 10:43:01

21/02/2020 10:35:47
Posted by Gary Manuel on 21/02/2020 10:17:24:
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 21/02/2020 10:09:31:

On the card and getting discounts, so far for me its working well, saved £7.00 at Argos and another £5 at B&Q so far. Not bad for £3.50.

That's great to hear Andy. Interesting that neither B&Q or Argos show up on the Vectis search App though. How did you know that they accept the card?

Through the www.bmfa-rewards.co.uk website. I suspect because quite a few of the discounts are via e-card that you purchase beforehand they don't show as a location on the app.

21/02/2020 10:09:31

21/02/2020 10:07:54
Posted by Dickw on 21/02/2020 10:06:07:
Posted by SR 71 on 20/02/2020 23:57:09:

I dont know my membership number, as i say i have heard nothing, been checking my emails including the spam every day,

How did you join the BMFA - online, phone, or through your club?

As others have said, if you did it on-line the response is immediate, so if you got nothing are you sure your email address was correct?

I suggest you give Andy as much information as you can (including time/date address etc.) and hope he can sort it out.

Dick

Can definitely sort it, but do need some details, name, postcode and email address should suffice. Email to andy@bmfa.org

20/02/2020 19:26:44
Posted by SR 71 on 20/02/2020 19:15:43:

i joined the BMFA paid my dues and also the £9 CAA tax two three weeks ago, not heard anything at ALL yet from them

Did you get a confirmation email? They are sent automatically the moment you pay and has your documents attached, you will also have got a confirmation about CAA registration too. If neither have arrived message me your membership number/email address and I can investigate.

20/02/2020 13:44:30

Wasn't a slow drip feed, they didn't start until Monday, quickly found an issue so stopped while they sorted the issue out, we then informed them that their email text was causing confusion so they have amended that and apparently they are starting processing again today.

Must admit to starting to long for some good weather, may slow the stream of emails down. wink

20/02/2020 13:39:02
Posted by eflightray on 20/02/2020 13:27:09:

I wonder how small and what they will weigh ..... the *black box*- (radio data link back to the CAA 'police' , that we will all have to fit next as proof we never flew, in the 'wrong' place, near any buildings, people, animals, how high we flew, how fast we flew, (sure to be speed limits introduced next).

Will planes have to have annual MOT type checks at registered CAA test centres ?, will pilots also have to have health certificates to prove they are fit to operate a transmitter ?

Yet I believe there are over half a million car/van/truck drivers that don't hold a driving licence or insurance, or even undergo a sight test.

I remember when it was a hobby, and we had fun, ....... sad

Ray.

Edited By eflightray on 20/02/2020 13:27:38

It's still a hobby and we still have fun, just a matter of not getting carried away about things that are either not relevant, minor inconveniences or unrealistic. Get on with your model aircraft flying , enjoy it and have fun, there is absolutely nothing stopping you.

20/02/2020 12:59:40
Posted by Richard Acland on 20/02/2020 12:52:02:

I did my registration on the CAA website in November and got my operators number straight away. This number has now been fitted to all my models. Has any thing changed that I should know about?

Not really.

20/02/2020 11:49:24
Posted by Michael Adams 4 on 20/02/2020 11:29:12:

Hi, can any one please explain while this is all going on if we do get a beak in the weather and can fly

are we

INSURED I have paid my dues to the BMFA also to the CAA but nothing about INSURANCE.

All so what proof have we got that we are in fact INSURED, is this what this card is all

about??

Mike.

Yes you are insured from the moment your renew, you should have received your membership documents by email immediately on renewal and they can also be downloaded from the membership portal whenever you choose. The plastic membership card is an optional extra if you chose to have one. They are landing on doormats as I type too.

20/02/2020 11:49:22
Posted by Michael Adams 4 on 20/02/2020 11:29:12:

Hi, can any one please explain while this is all going on if we do get a beak in the weather and can fly

are we

INSURED I have paid my dues to the BMFA also to the CAA but nothing about INSURANCE.

All so what proof have we got that we are in fact INSURED, is this what this card is all

about??

Mike.

Yes you are insured from the moment your renew, you should have received your membership documents by email immediately on renewal and they can also be downloaded from the membership portal whenever you choose. The plastic membership card is an optional extra if you chose to have one. They are landing on doormats as I type too.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us