By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jason Inskip

Here is a list of all the postings Jason Inskip has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Binding wire for solder joints
31/10/2018 21:18:54

Twin and earth works well for me too - It has so many uses besides carrying electronic pixies....

Thread: Do I need a UBEC?
23/09/2018 12:26:18

Also depends what make & power the servos are.

I have some cheapo 9g servos that will pull in excess of 1.2A each when stalled (worst case scenario)

Whilst other 9g servos will only pull 500mA when stalled. If I remember correctly, HXT900 9g servos pull about 500mA when stalled, so you could have 6 of those connected to your 3A BEC, all stalled, and still be OK (just!).

Edited By Jason Inskip on 23/09/2018 12:27:13

Thread: lead weghts
05/09/2018 22:10:07

I use self-adhesive window glazing lead. - The stuff they stick on glass to make georgian windows.

It comes in a small roll, and its dead easy to cut a strip off and stick it to your model (the self-adhesive is very strong and waterproof).

I don't remember where I got my roll from now (had it for years), but they have the stuff on amazon in different thicknesses....

**LINK**

**LINK**

8 quid for a 5m roll - which should last you a lifetime......

Edited By Jason Inskip on 05/09/2018 22:11:15

Thread: Stabilisation
26/08/2018 15:04:10
Posted by Don Fry on 26/08/2018 14:36:09:

Anyone know if the Eagletree Guardian unit supports 2 channels for ailerons, or does it just support single channel Y lead setups?

Supports dual aileron. You can also program differential aileron/crow/flaperons in your radio too without effecting stabilisation.

23/08/2018 14:05:59

Mmm, I always thought these were cheating! However, I reported a problem that I have in another thread, landing on the slope that is my flying sight. It is very difficult to land smoothly and I often break the u/c.

Presumably, this would help my landings on the slope? Also, being on a slope, I can get a lot of turbulence, etc, would this help minimise the effects when landing?

This may be the answer....yes

Edited By Rich too on 23/08/2018 12:46:24

I flew a 1.6m plane equipped with a guardian off the slope a few weeks ago (my first time sloping). Wind speed on the slope was 45mph. Did it help? Absolutely!

Also, my normal flying site is often windy, and always turbulent - the guardian is excellent at ironing all this out.

23/08/2018 13:59:11
Posted by Robin Mosedale 1 on 23/08/2018 12:24:10:

Thank you all.

I've ordered an Eagletree Guardian from Hobbyking. I'll test it out on a stable trainer after spending time making sure that I understand how to set it up and the modes.

Also picked up a 9 channel Spektrum receiver second hand, so when satisfied, migrate the Gaurdian to another plane, and the 9 channel gives me headroom for future growth.

Excellent help all.

Robin

Good choice. Make sure you read the new user guide I gave the link for. Also, there is a help group here:

**LINK**

Check and double check you control corrections are going the correct way.

Set you level flight attitude before the first flight - making sure to have the wing at a good positive angle of attack when doing so.

Then enjoy.

You can program the flight modes however you want. I have mine of a 3 position switch as follows:

Pos 0 - 2D mode (for take off/landing in foul weather)

Pos 1 - 3D mode (default position for most flights)

Pos 2 - 3D heading hold mode (for showing off and making myself look like a 3D pilot on suitable models)

I also have master gain on a rotary knob. Turning the master gain to zero will effectively turn the unit off if required.

PS - the plastic case (sleeve) it comes in is rubbish. I cut mine off and mount direct to a suitable tray.

Edited By Jason Inskip on 23/08/2018 14:00:23

20/08/2018 14:16:46

Hi Robin,

The guardian is a great little unit. The 3D Heading Hold mode is fantastic - makes me look like a much better pilot that I actually am!

The 2D modes will allow a novice to fly any plane in some truly awful winds (I'm just teaching a 78 year old novice to fly using one of these).

Anyway, be sure to check out the new user guide in addition to the manufactures instructions:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1964435-Guardian-New-User-s-Guide

To get the best out of it, you will have to plug it into your pc and configure using the eagletree gui.

Drop me a line if you get stuck setting it up.

PS - I now have 5 of these units, fitted in sports planes to warmliners to full house sailplanes. Works great in all.

Edited By Jason Inskip on 20/08/2018 14:17:43

Edited By Jason Inskip on 20/08/2018 14:21:07

18/08/2018 19:24:41

I would second an eagletree guardian. Separate unit, very customizable, much more effective that the Lemon stabiliser+, and it will allow dual aileron and aileron differential.

Free shipping to the uk from hobbyking EU warehouse at the moment:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/eagletree-guardian-2d-3d-inertial-flight-stabilizer.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOIm2gPOTpVMMaeXz3Gy0f9Jb69NdxVEn0Kzd6rrgHkTVbg37qbiThRoCWUYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited By Jason Inskip on 18/08/2018 19:25:21

Thread: Thinking of changing my car
03/08/2018 17:53:58
Posted by Colin Carpenter on 03/08/2018 17:13:50:

Am I the only one who still services their own vehicle ?

Nope, your not alone. My 14 year old honda accord tourer pictured earlier has never seen the inside of a garage/main dealer in the 12 years I've owned it - and It never will.

Any 'loss' of resale value due to not having a main dealer service history is irrelevant as I will run this car for quite some time yet (probably at least another 5 years), at which point the resale value of the vehicle ceases to be effected by the presence of any service history.

Plus I can sleep well knowing it has been properly maintained! In all fairness though, it has been a thoroughly reliable car - just the expected wear parts - including many, many brake pads and discs (result of a big heavy car, usually full of heavy stuff, with a 2.4 petrol engine and a heavy right foot)....

My previous car was a BMW 5 series estate. That did me for 16 years without ever having to visit a garage either.

Edited By Jason Inskip on 03/08/2018 17:55:04

31/07/2018 21:15:18

My accord tourer (posh name for estate) can swallow a 2.6m plane whole....

accord tourer.jpg

Thread: E-Glider new design called RedEagle
22/07/2018 14:34:12

Its nearly finished!

Just a few jobs left:

- Make some graphics for the fin & nose

- Install receiver & program radio

- Install flight pack & set CG

- Fly!

Colour scheme borrowed from this thread albiet with a few small changes (think it was one of Ton's clubmates schemes).

Weight without battery: 684g

Thanks to Ton for a nice easy design.

Thanks also to Andy for his assistance!

covered 01

covered 02

covered 03

covered 04

Edited By Jason Inskip on 22/07/2018 14:34:45

Thread: No Hosepipe Then?
19/07/2018 21:27:34
Posted by Chris Walby on 19/07/2018 12:38:02:

Jason,

Just go for your own borehole!

No permission or licence is required for anyone who wishes to extract up to 20,000 litres per day,

There you go, problem solved

Edited By Chris Walby on 19/07/2018 12:40:47

Thanks! 20,000 litres per day should just about do it! (even allowing for the time my teenage daughter spends in the shower).....

19/07/2018 11:30:57

Dont get me started on Useless Utilities.

I spent much time and money this spring re-seeding and repairing my lawn - and why I hear you ask? Well last winter it rained that darn much, my lawn was pretty much under water for about 4 months. Thus the grass & roots went rotten and died. So this spring, a massive undertaking removing dead grass, top-dressing, aeriating, reseeding, netting off (to keep those pigeons at bay) and watering. My lawn has just started to look nice again, and guess what - a hosepipe ban. Where did all that winter water go Mr UU?

Additionaly, our town has been gridlocked for several months this year - due to road closures caused by burst water mains. Even our main dual carriageway has had to be completely closed twice this year alone because of water leaks.

On top of all that, our water rates are astronomical!

Time to install a massive underground water collection tank and go off grid me thinks.........

Thread: E-Glider new design called RedEagle
20/03/2018 11:52:54
Posted by Tipsy Pilot on 20/03/2018 11:42:07:

Very nice Jason. I was just doing a bit of work on my redeagle. Getting ready to run the snakes for the tail feathers before I sheet the top deck.

What power train are you using?

Heading to my LHS in the morning to hopefully obtain a spinner and folding prop set so I can shape the nose of my red eagle.

TP

Hi TP,

I'm using a propdrive v2 2830, 1000kv

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/propdrive-v2-2830-1000kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html

Plus a 30A esc.

J

20/03/2018 11:33:53
Posted by Andy G. on 20/03/2018 11:17:14:

That's coming along really nicely Jason! Looks really neat around the the nose block!

Thanks! I'm at the fitting electronics stage now. Still some sanding/shaping to do, and then covering. Hopefully be ready for late spring & summer weather.

20/03/2018 11:28:05

I planned on using a 40mm aeronaut spinner, but I was not happy with the fit to the model. The spinner nosecone and backplate have different tapers, which did not sit well on the model. Also, the 40mm diameter was fractionally too big for my front end - it overhung the side by about 0.25mm top and bottom. Perhaps I made the front former a bit too small!

40mm dry fit.jpg

40mm aeronaut spinner.jpg

I ordered a 38mm areonaut spinner. the nosecone and backplate have a more constant taper. The size & fit suited the model much better...

38mm dry fit.jpg

38mm aeronaut spinner.jpg

nose with 38mm spinner.jpg

spinner end on.jpg

Edited By Jason Inskip on 20/03/2018 11:29:07

Edited By Jason Inskip on 20/03/2018 11:31:26

20/03/2018 11:13:47

Steady (slow) progress here. That thing called work keeps getting in the way.....

Firewall.jpg

nose construction.jpg

nose with 38mm spinner.jpg

hatch construction.jpg

wing fit.jpg

hatch closed.jpg

hatch complete.jpg

dry fit.jpg

Still lots of sanding & shaping to do!

Thread: Pedantic
26/02/2018 21:54:40

Or the good old double negative:

Youth: 'I aint done nothin'

Grumpy old man: 'So you haven't done nothing, so that means you must have done something then?'

Youth: 'weirdo'

26/02/2018 21:47:58

Don't get me started on the 'words' fuz, or 'fuse', for example:

'Go ahead and attach the stab to the fuz. It's super easy. Good job'

My poor ears.....

wink

Thread: Solarfilm
06/02/2018 21:33:55

Oh no! Sad news. I've still got a collection of solar products from my early forray into aero modelling back in the 90's. Amazingly, my 20 odd year old tins of solarlac are still usable (and being used) today.

I'll have to stock up on solartrim - is there an alternative to this?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
CML
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us