By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jason-I

Here is a list of all the postings Jason-I has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 5s / motor
02/11/2019 10:11:47

Others more knowledgeable may give you a better answer, but I would say it is possible, by several methods.

1) Using existing prop, limit throttle travel on 5s so that you do not exceed 4s rpm and current draw values.

OR

2) Re-prop accordingly so that you do not exceed maximum current rating of motor and ESC.

3) I am no expert. Wait for others to comment.

Edit: Dick beat me to it.

Edited By Jason-I on 02/11/2019 10:12:46

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
29/10/2019 15:46:22
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 29/10/2019 14:02:16:

BMFA members ARE exempt from registering as an operator until 31 January 2020 according to the CAA page linked in Nigel Heather's post made at 12.50.

This is to harmonise payment of the £9 fee to payment of BMFA subs. I think I wrote exactly that in my post that you quoted.

It would be great if you stopped repeating your spiel about rotten legislation and on and on. Its here, we knew it was coming, it could have been worse and it won't prevent anyone who wants to fly from flying.

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 29/10/2019 14:02:58

BMFA members are NOT exempt. They have a short stay of execution granted, but they are not exempt (I was just correcting the facts - to much incorrect information flying around)

This is rotten legislation. It's here, I agree, but it's still rotten!

Edited By Jason-I on 29/10/2019 15:47:17

29/10/2019 13:44:28
Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 29/10/2019 13:28:01:

The BMFA and other model flying associations members have been granted an exemption from registering as an operator and can opt to pay the £9 registration fee to their association along with their association membership fee in January 2020.

BMFA members are NOT exempt from operator registration. The BMFA will be registering members on their behalf (if the member consents). i.e. the BMFA is merely acting as unpaid tax collector. The BMFA will pass your details to the CAA/DfT for entry into their registration system - along with the £9 fee.

If you choose not to allow the BMFA to register on your behalf, then you will have to register directly yourself. (if you choose to comply with this rotten legislation that is).

Thread: Where to get wood from
28/10/2019 16:51:19

Also rc world

www.rcworld.co.uk

Thread: NEW POLL - do you use a throttle kill switch?
26/10/2019 14:23:52
Posted by Wingman on 26/10/2019 12:07:45:

Can't see the point in a throttle cut (or inhibit switch) as it's just something else to get wrong - which way is off and on? - but I suppose if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling then that is OK.

If you just place the throttle stick at half way when connecting the battery then the esc won't activate and the motor won't start until you return the stick to zero and then move it up again - note: that is two movements to activate - difficult to do accidentally!. Works on any transmitter old or new, needs no programming and is highly visible.

What safety procedure do you then use after flight to prevent accidental throttle activation whilst removing the flight battery?

26/10/2019 10:07:17

I ALWAYS use a kill switch, however, my view is that a kill switch should be made an industry standard. Even basic cheap 4ch radios should have a kill switch fitted. This would only cost pennies extra on the radio.

Thread: New to model flying but not new to RC
25/10/2019 23:55:05
Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 25/10/2019 23:05:01:

The new regs are nothing to worry about, the smallest of hurdles to participation.

Somewhat concerning that the new regs have not even come into force yet, but are already putting people off the hobby. sad

24/10/2019 23:41:34
Posted by Steve J on 24/10/2019 21:37:59:
Posted by CARPERFECT on 24/10/2019 20:19:00:

DOES that all sound correct ?

Can you come up with a plausible argument that either you or your son 'have management of' all 15 planes? Does one of you determine when, where and by whom the models are flown?

Nonsense.

Dad is the operator and a pilot. The son is just a remote pilot. All planes carry an operator number.

This fully complies with the letter and spirit of the law.

How complicated do you want to make it?

Edited By Jason-I on 24/10/2019 23:42:32

24/10/2019 21:14:15
Posted by CARPERFECT on 24/10/2019 20:19:00:

So here`s a little conundrum for you all. Two BMFA members in my house. Me and my 24 year old son. WE. yes WE have 15 planes and we share them all. I have an A cert he has not. So come 1st Jan 2020 we will both pay the BMFA subs. I or him will register . Just the one £9 NOT TWO. He will have to pass his A cert or do the online (impossible to fail test). If either of us are ever questioned by the DRONE police.,We are covered. the models will have a reg number, and both will have passed the A test or the CAA test. DOES that all sound correct ?

Absolutely correct. One registered operator with two registered pilots.

Edited By Jason-I on 24/10/2019 21:15:49

24/10/2019 20:35:30

Have to agree with this guy....

Thread: Model Retrieval (or not)?
24/10/2019 11:46:15
Posted by Peter Miller on 24/10/2019 11:24:17:

Here is a retrieval story to brighten dull day

**LINK**

Wow, what a great story.

24/10/2019 10:01:49

My hobby does make me happy. The threats to the hobby by rotten legislation and poor public perception makes me most unhappy.

Thread: Storage of models in light of the new CAA regs
24/10/2019 07:18:54
Posted by cymaz on 24/10/2019 06:22:30:
ill not be surprised to see an Amazon or KFC drone falls out of the sky. Think of the outcry then.

Yeah, can you just imagine, somebody's take away chicken will go cold. Ohh the horror!!!

Thread: New Legislation And Trainee Requirements
23/10/2019 20:37:57
Posted by Paul C. on 23/10/2019 20:33:01:

If nothing else some folks have had a laugh at my faux pas, time for a G & T I think 😂

Save one for me. yes

23/10/2019 20:11:52
Posted by Paul C. on 23/10/2019 20:07:27:

Err that's posters not posers 😯😯😯😯 bloomin predictive text and me not reading it , sorry 😱

I've been called worse!

23/10/2019 19:52:10
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 23/10/2019 19:34:57:

Damn but it gets confusing when posters refer to the person on the sticks as being the operator, while the CAA seem to use 'operator' to mean the person responsible for the maintainance and use of the UAV and the term 'competent person' or similar for the stick twiddler. It's a great pity they couldn't have stuck to nice clear terms like 'Operator or Keeper' (henceforth known as OOK) for the owner and ,say, 'Pilot On Sticks' (hka POS) so we could more easily diferentiate.

They need to just do away with the whole pilot and operator thing and just have a pilot, who registers, takes the test and pays the fee. The whole operator thing makes the system biased towards big companies who could run potentially thousands of drones and pilots all for just a single £9 fee. (Whilst us mugs subsidise the registration system for them). The whole registration system is setup with future commercial use in mind which is why it's so expensive - and yet it is us expected to foot the bill for this.

This is just one of my fundamental objections about the whole rotten scheme and is why I will continue campaigning government about it.

23/10/2019 18:32:31
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 23/10/2019 18:19:31:

Did everyone ignore my post?

Sorry Steve but the BMFA are saying that a student under instruction is not an operator so does not have to take the test. So if a random person walks in off the street they are allowed to fly right from the off. Their argument is the same as most of us have presented here. Full size aircraft and driving instruction is commenced when a student has no qualifications at all and model flying will be the same. The only real difference is that slightly closer attention needs to be paid to the qualifications of the instructor.

Its a total non issue

yes

Good enough for me.

23/10/2019 17:43:42
Posted by Steve J on 23/10/2019 17:27:53:

it is very clear that the remote pilot is expected to do the online test before touching the sticks

If I was instructing at the moment, the first bit of homework that I would give a trainee would be to do the CAA test.

Steve

At which point little Johnny would go home disappointed never to return. sad

I fly in a public space. It's rare that members of the public pass by, but when they do, and if they show an interest, I'll gladly let them have a go on the buddy box (I always carry a spare basic cheap tx, and most of my models have an eagletree guardian fitted, so I can switch to wing levelling mode for them). They are always most appreciative of this, and I think it is really good for the hobby.

Next time Joe public passes by and expresses real interest am I to say: "I'd love to give you a go, but you need to go home, study the rules, pass a test and register as a pilot before I can even let you near to the sticks", then send them away thinking I'm a mean spirited stuck up jobsworth, OR, am I to break the rules, let them have a go and send them away with a smile on their face?

I know which option I'll be choosing. wink

Edited By Jason-I on 23/10/2019 17:47:27

Thread: Ben Buckle Falcon Build
22/10/2019 13:34:41

Thanks for the info gents.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
22/10/2019 12:13:36
Posted by Zflyer on 22/10/2019 12:08:09:

Alternatively why not see if we can delay the outcome via the Courts by challenging the misrepresentation of the evidence.

I see we still have no actual footage of the Gatwick drone....

I see also the the Gatwick incident was back on the news last night and was spoken about in terms as the confirmed drone incident that affected hundreds of thousands of people. No mention of the fact that no evidence has been found. The whole article was demonising drone users all over again.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!