By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Blandford

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Blandford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Legislation Proposal at last
10/12/2017 14:23:53

A model aircraft is capable of flying (gliding) under full control even when not powered?

Mike.

Thread: Who wants a Warbird Replics Hurricane?
30/11/2017 16:46:17

Slowly progressing:

The tail, covered in clear film:

tail.jpg

I'm doing electric so this is the motor mounting:

nose.jpg

One wing with aileron and flap. The flap is 1/16 ply with a 3,, carbon tube leading edge. I'm then putting a 2mm carbon rod through the tube to form the hinge. I've left a small area, without the flap, at the trailing edge to provide more strength to prevent warping.

wing1.jpg

The Wing centre with U/C cutouts, lined with the ABS moulding. Next step is to cut out the inner flaps.
The retracts are only placed in position at present.

wingcentre.jpg

Mike.

Thread: Vintage Digifleet.
27/11/2017 22:27:59

For battery packs in various shapes and sizes, try Component Shop: **LINK**

They do "receiver" packs in a 4-square configuration, and you can also get individual cells with solder tags that are easy to assemble into packs.

Mike.

Edited By Mike Blandford on 27/11/2017 22:28:23

Thread: S6R compatibility
09/11/2017 14:48:33

The S6R/S8R are NOT compatible with the older 'D' protocol, no way to bind them.
They also need at least 12 channels as channels 9 to 12 are used to control the stabilising operation, so only the 'X' protocol works.

You also need the 'X' protocol to be able to set the failsafe as you cannot set it on the receiver directly.

Mike.

Thread: Horus TX battery
04/11/2017 13:00:46

I've noticed that when you have a NiMh battery become very discharged you can get a "false peak" occuring when you first start to charge it. So doing what you are doing is a good idea.

Mike.

Thread: DOH!
04/11/2017 10:32:55

David: Not easy to remember when in that situation, but the splash screen and each warning may be skipped by pressing a button (e.g. EXIT). So if it happens again, just go for the EXIT button and keep pressing it until you get control. That shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds.

Mike.

03/11/2017 19:08:44

I've got a set of HK retracts that fit OK. I've made the wheel wells and got the ABS linings fitting. When I tested the retracts, the wheels kept catching on the edges of the wells. With very careful alignment I could avoid this catching, but it seems to me if anything get slightly distorted they will bind.

As a result I replaced the 3 inch wheels I was going to use with some that are about 2.7 inches. Now the wheels clear the well lining OK. It might have been better if I had angled the wells to match the forward rake undercarriage!

Is no one else building their hurricane yet?

Mike.

Thread: What's a Watt?
01/11/2017 23:08:31

The statement I quoted indicates a brushless motor can only do conversion to mechanical power output. I still maintain that a brushless motor will operate as an alternator, so will also do conversion FROM mechanical power input.

Mike.

01/11/2017 18:39:14

"The other can only do conversion to mechanical power output (the brushless motor). "?
A brushless motor is also an alternator, so it can do conversion from mechanical power to electron transfer as well!

Perhaps not obvious, but all motors with the same kV (rpm/volt) value produce the same torque when the same current is flowing.

Mike.

Thread: my new full range 16 channel Rx is a bit big!
21/10/2017 12:01:16

If anyone is looking for a SBUS to PWM decoder, I have a project that uses an Arduino Mini that takes in the SBUS signal and output all 16 channels, see: **LINK**

Mike.

Edited By Mike Blandford on 21/10/2017 12:02:00

Edited By Mike Blandford on 21/10/2017 12:03:11

19/10/2017 18:19:31

Getting close to wanting to install some retracts. Are there going to be some specifically available?

I've got some HobbyKing ones, with some oleo's, although they may be too long. They are 5.4 inches from the axle to the pivot at the top, although I may be able to reduce this if I make the pin from the unit to the oleo shorter.

The other item I mentioned above is a spinner.

Mike.

Thread: X9D Tx battery
17/10/2017 18:46:00

When you plug the charger (actually voltage supply) in, the LED on the Taranis starts by flashing, indicating the battery is being checked. Then the LED goes on solid, indicating the battery is charging. Finally, then LED goes OFF indicating the battery is charged, so wait for the LED to go OFF.

Mike.

Thread: Unable to flash X6R with EU LBT firmware
12/10/2017 15:08:05

Given that upgrading from openTx 2.0.x to 2.1 or 2.2 can be quite involved, you might like to consider flashing one of my builds of 2.0.15 through 2.0.19 where I included "maintenance mode" that provides the flashing of SPort devices. You may find then here: **LINK**. together with instructins for use.

I wrote the flashing code, and put in in ersky9x, then I added it to openTx as the 2.1 release was much later appearing.

Mike.

Thread: Totally drained NiMh pack - can it be resuscitated, and how?
12/10/2017 14:55:49

I did suggest the discharge test is done at 0.5A to save time, although a C/10 discharge may well show the capacity available more accurately.

I also suggested: "Recharge at c/10 for 2 hours, then test in a model that servos drive OK (so testing with a battery that is only charged to 1/5th capacity."

Then I'd do a normal fast charge.

Mike.

11/10/2017 14:56:20

You know these cells have a nominal capacity of 2000mAh, and that you fully discharged them. Before trying a discharge test, you need to charge them with at least 2000mAh, hence needing to charge at C/10 for over 10 hours.

If you do this, then do a discharge test (0.5A as I suggested above) you will have a good idea of the health of the battery.

Mike.

11/10/2017 12:35:23

Wingtips on and part carved to shape, ailerons cutout, framed and hinged, next I need to do the servo boxes then start on the flaps.

The fuselage and tail is mostly built, although I'm leaving the stringers until last.

Mike.

11/10/2017 09:29:40

Don't do the discharge test until you have completed at least 12 hours charging at c/10.

Mike.

Thread: Horizon Hobbies
10/10/2017 18:43:42

Most of the problems with Taranis firmware are related to trying to upgrade it.

There is no actual need to do this, just switch on and fly! The Taranis has not ever needed to be updated, it works well as shipped.

Mike.

10/10/2017 18:37:50

Why did the charger stop? Many "smart chargers" include "backstop" timer and stop after that time even if the pack has not been peak detected.

Also, it is not unusual for a "false peak" to be detected on a fully discharged pack.

Since the pack was fully discharged, you do need to charge it at 1/10C for 12 to 14 hours (perfectly safe to do so at that charge rate), and then run a discharge test. For a 2000mAh pack, I would suggest a discharge at 0.5A, and you would expect at least 3.5 hours. You would very likely only get the full 2000mAh if you discharged at 200mA, but this woud take 10 hours.

So I suggest putting the pack back on charge at 1/10C for another 4 hours, and then repeat again.

Mike.

Thread: Help with dihedral
08/10/2017 12:45:02

26 inches is 660.4 mm.

A rightangled triangle with a hypotenuse of 660.4 mm and a short side of 10mm has an angle of 0.867 degrees.

Mike.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us