By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Blandford

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Blandford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spektrum DX10t
15/01/2018 11:20:21

I wonder why it seems to have taken 7 years since such an "auto trim function" appeared in the open source firmware, for it to appear on this type of transmitter.

Mike.

Thread: Considering going electric - advice rplease
10/01/2018 11:20:54

If using 35MHz, do a range check (Tx aerial down) and make sure the controls work OK at various motor power levels. I flew electric on 27MHz (Astro 25 + 16 1Ah NiCds) perfectly OK, and flew a lot with 35MHz. The only problem I ever had was with a twin with long wires from the battery to the motors (in spite of extra capacitors near the ESCs.

The mode flew OK, but occasionally glitched. Changing to 2.4GHz did fix that.

Mike.

Thread: Help needed with logic switches please
09/01/2018 22:58:58

It is saying 16 channels are sent by SBUS, but channel 8 is being used to send the RSSI value, so is not available as a control. SBUS carries all 16 channels, so 1-7 and 9-16 are all useable.

Mike.

09/01/2018 18:15:04

From the manual of the XMPF3E:

"Channels: 16CH (8CH is RSSI) by SBUS to UART2 Rx of F3EVO"

So channel 8 is RSSI, but channels 9-16 should be present.

"Configurationof F3EVO . .
1. In the ports, set the UART2 to be Serial RX.
2. In the Configuration, set the Receiver Mode to be RX_SERIAL and Serial Receiver Provider to be SBUS, and
disable the RSSI_ADC Analog RSSI input.
3. In the Receiver, set the RSSI Channel to be 8.
For other configurations, please refer to the Cleanflight/Betaflight."

You should be able to get 16 channels, make sure you have you Tx configured to send 16 channels!

You may then not need this switch override!

Mike.

Thread: Spektrum module for Taranis
05/01/2018 23:23:28

It uses serial data at 125000 baud, 1 start bit, 8 data bits, even parity and 2 stop bits.

You could have a read of this thread: **LINK**

and/or look at the code (open source) for either openTx or ersky9x to see the actual data format.

Mike.

Thread: Turnigy Radio Sets
04/01/2018 10:19:01

The 9XR-PRO is only £38.33 at present from HK **LINK**. You will need a RF module, but the FrSky XJT is fully supported and the firmware on the 'PRO is ersky9x, providing full telemetry support.

Full manuals for the 'PRO are here: **LINK**, so you may look to see if you would like it from them.

While a bit more money, you might also consider the FrSky QX7.

Mike.

Thread: Grandpas Great Escape
02/01/2018 15:33:41

My wife and I watched it.

After some web searching I found it at "Lytham St Annes Spitfire Ground Display Team", see: **LINK**

Mike.

Thread: Unable to connect to transmitter after downloading software
31/12/2017 10:38:47

We are guessing you are referring to openTx, but what Tx are you using (X9D, X9D+, X7, X12, X10 or something else)?

Mike.

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 109 club.
19/12/2017 17:14:24

A BF109 with a merlin is called a Buchon, built by Spain after WW2.

Mike.

Thread: OpenTx - Questions and Problems
16/12/2017 23:05:53

OK, we need a few more details. Are you seeing a message like:

"avrdude.exe: error: could not find USB device "USBasp" with vid=0x16c0 pid=0x5dc"

Mike.

16/12/2017 21:29:17

Is this a 9XR or a 9XR-PRO, I'm assuming the latter as the 9XR doesn't have a USB port.

The 9XR-PRO ships with ersky9x firmware, which you may upgrade to a more recent release.

When you plug in the USB, and then power the radio on, does the display show the bootloader is runnning, and two hard drives appear on the computer?

Mike.

Thread: Legislation Proposal at last
10/12/2017 19:17:47
Posted by cymaz on 10/12/2017 14:28:49:
Posted by Mike Blandford on 10/12/2017 14:23:53:

A model aircraft is capable of flying (gliding) under full control even when not powered?

Mike.

Yes,but that would exclude a decent scale helicopter sad

If the helicopter can do a negative collective, it should be able to autorotate under control to a landing.

Mike.

10/12/2017 14:23:53

A model aircraft is capable of flying (gliding) under full control even when not powered?

Mike.

Thread: Who wants a Warbird Replics Hurricane?
30/11/2017 16:46:17

Slowly progressing:

The tail, covered in clear film:

tail.jpg

I'm doing electric so this is the motor mounting:

nose.jpg

One wing with aileron and flap. The flap is 1/16 ply with a 3,, carbon tube leading edge. I'm then putting a 2mm carbon rod through the tube to form the hinge. I've left a small area, without the flap, at the trailing edge to provide more strength to prevent warping.

wing1.jpg

The Wing centre with U/C cutouts, lined with the ABS moulding. Next step is to cut out the inner flaps.
The retracts are only placed in position at present.

wingcentre.jpg

Mike.

Thread: Vintage Digifleet.
27/11/2017 22:27:59

For battery packs in various shapes and sizes, try Component Shop: **LINK**

They do "receiver" packs in a 4-square configuration, and you can also get individual cells with solder tags that are easy to assemble into packs.

Mike.

Edited By Mike Blandford on 27/11/2017 22:28:23

Thread: S6R compatibility
09/11/2017 14:48:33

The S6R/S8R are NOT compatible with the older 'D' protocol, no way to bind them.
They also need at least 12 channels as channels 9 to 12 are used to control the stabilising operation, so only the 'X' protocol works.

You also need the 'X' protocol to be able to set the failsafe as you cannot set it on the receiver directly.

Mike.

Thread: Horus TX battery
04/11/2017 13:00:46

I've noticed that when you have a NiMh battery become very discharged you can get a "false peak" occuring when you first start to charge it. So doing what you are doing is a good idea.

Mike.

Thread: DOH!
04/11/2017 10:32:55

David: Not easy to remember when in that situation, but the splash screen and each warning may be skipped by pressing a button (e.g. EXIT). So if it happens again, just go for the EXIT button and keep pressing it until you get control. That shouldn't take more than a couple of seconds.

Mike.

Thread: Who wants a Warbird Replics Hurricane?
03/11/2017 19:08:44

I've got a set of HK retracts that fit OK. I've made the wheel wells and got the ABS linings fitting. When I tested the retracts, the wheels kept catching on the edges of the wells. With very careful alignment I could avoid this catching, but it seems to me if anything get slightly distorted they will bind.

As a result I replaced the 3 inch wheels I was going to use with some that are about 2.7 inches. Now the wheels clear the well lining OK. It might have been better if I had angled the wells to match the forward rake undercarriage!

Is no one else building their hurricane yet?

Mike.

Thread: What's a Watt?
01/11/2017 23:08:31

The statement I quoted indicates a brushless motor can only do conversion to mechanical power output. I still maintain that a brushless motor will operate as an alternator, so will also do conversion FROM mechanical power input.

Mike.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us