By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Blandford

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Blandford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flashing Firmware to a Fr Sky X6R receiver
17/04/2015 19:48:30

This feature will get into future versions, from 2.1 I believe. I felt there was a requirement NOW for this, so I added it in myself. I've had it in ersky9x for many months.

NOTE: Be very careful with the connections from the module connector to the SPort connector on the receiver, POWER and GROUND need to be CROSSED over.

EW: Yes, you will need to update both the internal XJT and the receivers. As long as you have the non-EU firmware for the receivers, you should always be able "downgrade" any new receivers.

Mike.

17/04/2015 15:59:51

Have you upgraded the firmware on the Taranis itself (openTx, not the internal module)?

I've built and published a version of openTx 2.0.15 that includes the ability to update the receiver firmware using the external module connector.

Mike.

Thread: What Transmitter
17/04/2015 15:18:25

If you wonder "What is this Taranis all about", you could download the (free) program(s) that run on your PC and allow editing of all the settings in the radio. This would let you see what the open source firmware is all about.

There are two options for the firmware, openTx and ersky9x.

For openTx: **LINK**

For ersky9x: **LINK**

Both also include simulators so you may see what your settings actually do.

Mike.

Edited By Mike Blandford on 17/04/2015 15:19:23

Thread: Spektrum module for Taranis
15/04/2015 11:29:12

For information I've been testing a prototype DSM2/X Tx module (JR mechanics). This module uses a serial protocol between itself and the main radio firmware and supports telemetry, as well as up to 14 channels.

I have full support for this module in ersky9x firmware working on a SKY board in a 9X, a 9XR-PRO and the Taranis.

Currently I don't know when it might be available to purchase, but I have flown successfully with it using a Lemon stabilising receiver (DSMX) and a telemetry unit from the same source as the Tx module. I had over 60 paces range on the ground in range check mode, and no problems in flight. I had the telemetry unit (which doubles as a satelite I understand) monitoring the flight pack voltage.

Mike.

08/04/2015 18:28:43

It supports both DSM2 and DSMX.

I've just been testing it and doing the support firmware for the radios, they have developed the module and its firmware.

My test flight yesterday was with a Lemon stabiliser Rx.

Mike.

08/04/2015 17:16:23

For information, I've been working with a company developing a new, telemetry capable, DSM Tx module. I test flew with both the module and their telemetry unit yesterday with no problems.

I have support for this module working in a 9X Tx with the SKY upgrade board, the 9XR-PRO and the Taranis, all running the ersky9x open source firmware. It should be possible to support this module in openTx firmware.

At present the timescale to the availability of this module to purchase is unknown.

Mike.

Thread: New FrSky EU firmware - an unwelcome surprise
03/04/2015 17:26:51

Are you running the radio firmware as delivered or have you updated it to a later version of openTx?

I've built a version of openTx 2.0.15 that includes a feature to allow updating of the internal XJT and receivers directly from the radio.

Mike.

Thread: 2.0.14 Now available for download.
23/03/2015

Yes both the internal XJT and external devices are supported. The file(s) I posted didn't have GVARs included, but I just added version(s) with GVARs included.

Take care with the wiring for external devices. I was rushing this morning and slipped up, so blew up a X6R receiver due to the power being the wrong way round. It is still useful for testing flashing, but the RF doesn't work any more.

Mike.

21/03/2015 23:36:28

SInce the updating firmware I wrote hasn't made it into openTx yet, and I received several requests for this, I've built copies of openTx 2.0.15 with "maintenance mode" in it that allows easy updating of SPort devices.

The file(s) and instructions may be found here: **LINK**

Back up your EEPROM before flashing this, and take care with the wiring for external devices (power and ground swap over).

Mike.

23/01/2015 16:18:28

FrSky now have a new version of the firmware for the XJT available for download.

I've flashed it and it does seem the bug is now fixed.

Mike.

22/01/2015 11:36:59

There is a problem with the XJT, ETSI EN 300 328 V1.8.1 firmware when using a 'D' series receiver. It binds and works OK, but if you then change the XJT to operate in D16 mode to a 'X' series receiver, when you change back to D8 mode the 'D' series receiver no longer works properly until you bind it again. The problem persists, even if you power the Tx off.

FrSky have the fix for this and are expecting to post a new download "soon".

I suggest holding off from updating any XJT modules until this fix is available.

Mike.

19/01/2015 23:02:44

My understanding is the firmware to allow updating the internal module and external receivers and SPort devices will get into openTx, but isn't in there yet. The firmware is in ersky9x (used on th SKY board upgrae for the 9X Tx, the 9XR-PRO and also available for the Taranis). I have also built a copy of openTx with the updating firmware in it and I have passed all the required source code on to the openTx crew.

This feature will not be in the bootloader as there isn't enough space available in the bootloader for it.

What I do in ersky9x, and expect the same in openTx, is to have a "maintenance mode", accessed byt holding the horizontal trims APART while powering on. This then provides the facility to do the updates in a clean, safe environment where the Tx is not doing anything else.

We don't know exactly what FrSky do regarding LBT. It is allowed to listen, and if finding the channel is occupied, hop to the next channel in the same time slot. If this is done, there may be no lost packets at all.

I had no problems with an updated internal XJT and an updated X6R, nor with the updated XJT and a D8R-II. In both cases I did re-bind.

I can confirm the updated firmware for the X6R and the X8R are the same file, I downloaded both and compared the files.

If you want to update the internal XJT or external devices, you can flash ersky9x, use it to update the devices, then flash openTx back. ersky9x flashes in the same way as openTx (not too surprising since I wrote the bootloader originally and both ersky9x and openTx use it).

Mike.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
CML
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us