By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Blandford

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Blandford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sticky throttle
14/04/2019 23:01:03

As I now understand it the switch warning doesn't handle this requirement. There are TWO correct positions for this switch and one incorrect one in this application. The switch warning currently only handles ONE correct position and two incorrect ones.

It looks to me that the switch warning would need to be enhanced to support this.

Mike

14/04/2019 15:40:51

Totally confused now!

If the "Switch warning" is set to require SA to be UP, then surely you get a warning if it is NOT UP, which seems to be what you require!

Mike

Thread: Who wants a Warbird Replics Hurricane?
09/04/2019 18:50:15

I've just weighed my Hurricane (without flight pack) and it comes out at 6 lb 8.2 oz. The 6S, 3000 battery is around 18 to 19 oz, so I'm looking at 7 lb 11 oz plus any extra nose weight I need!

Mike

06/04/2019 20:53:57

Getting close to finished! I've still to fit the pilot and canopy, but the radio and electrics are all in. Just fitted a FrSky MLVSS (specially wired to give pack voltage only), and an FrSky RPM sensor. I already had a FrSky 150A current sensor fitted. All are mounted in the cowling area, as is the ESC. If I need some nose weight, it may as well be useful!

I think I shall go with a 12x6 prop, just got a couple of Master ones and a 3" black spinner. All fitted and working. I did a quick test indoors using s 2S, 3000mAh battery. I had readings of 7.2V, 9.0A and 4450 RPM. I haven't checked the calibration of the voltage reading yet. As I intend to use 6S, I could be looking at 12000 RPM on the 12x6 and around 1000W.

The next job is to check the CofG. Given I've used the larger tailplane size, I'm wondering how far back from the position on the plan, (mentioned earlier in this thread as conservative, nose heavy) I could go. I like "light" for the overall weight! I'll probably put the 6S in and check the weight and starting CofG position.

For information, someone on another forum asked about the MLVSS sensor (normally plugs into the pack balance connector and reads all the cell voltages) and if it would work to just measure the whole pack voltage, wired to the ESC power leads only. I did some tests and came up with wiring 6, 2K7 or 3K3 resistors, one each between the seven connections to the MLVSS. This provides suitable input voltages to each one, and then gives the total pack voltage.

I'll need some stick time on other models before I fly this!

Mike

Thread: How to use IRX4+ multi-protocol module with Taranis?
30/03/2019 16:45:07

For information, the Multiprotocol code was updated at some point to do channel mapping and scaling.

This means, for example, you have a default channel order used in the radio (e.g. AETR), with the mixes set to 100%, and the module maps this to the selected protocol. So if you use "DSM" the module takes in AETR at 100% and sends TAER at 80%.

When the firmware is compiled for the module, you specify the input channel order you wish to use. With a purchased module like the IRX4+, this is whatever they have decided to load!

Mike

28/03/2019 18:45:08

You might try asking here: **LINK**.

The firmware on the module is the same as in that thread, the hardware is just a copy really.

Mike

27/03/2019 23:08:12

I don't use openTx, but I understand if a protocol isn't listed by name, you may still select it by number.

Each protocol has up to 8 sub-protocols. For Bayang, there are 4, sub-protocols implemented:

0 Bayang
1 H8S3D
2 X16_AH
3 IRDRONE
4 - 7 are currently not in use

Mike

Thread: FrSky ACCESS - New improved protocol
25/03/2019 18:47:43

No timescales at present, FrSky are working on the firmware for the modules and receivers. They will provide this when ready so the open source changes may be tested.

Mike

25/03/2019 18:42:57

There is quite a bit of work involved in supporting this new protocol, it is actively being developed and implemented. It should be available on all FrSky transmitters and supported by ersky9x and openTx.

My view is it will appear at much the same time on all transmitter firmware.

The details of the protocol between the radio and the Tx module are being refined as the firmware is developed. This is happening in the same way that the Taranis was developed with direct involvement between FrSky and open source developers.

Mike

Edited By Mike Blandford on 25/03/2019 18:45:42

Thread: Who wants a Warbird Replics Hurricane?
24/03/2019 16:25:02

Interesting, I wonder what the mechanical explanation is! Normally, I would expect the motor to speed up as the 'plane gathers speed. Since I'm looking to use 6S, my motor should be rotating quite a bit faster than yours already!

The prop washer on mine is already hatched.

I'll check to what I have the timing set anyway.

Mike

23/03/2019 22:49:14

I did some power tests today. The motor I'm using is an E-max GT 4020/07, KV=620. My plan is to use 6 cells, although at that KV value, 5 may be better to give a larger prop.
Test 1 with a 11x7 master prop gave took 36.5A, so around 800W.
Test 2 with a 13x6.5 APC-E prop took 52A and around 1100W.
Test 3 with a 12x6 Graupner grey prop took 45A and around 950W.

I hadn't got an RPM sensor hooked up, but I'd estimate test 1 at around 11000RPM. As I was using a 4-cell and a 2-cell in series (3000mAh), I didn't have a full voltage reading either, although the 4-cell (quite old) showed between 14.6 and 14 V.

I'm tempted with the 11x7 and 800W at the moment, although a 12x6 may look better.

Mike

Thread: C rating on Lipo's
23/03/2019 22:27:54
Posted by J Moyler on 23/03/2019 15:57:24:. . .. In the example above this means 60% of 44Amph = 24.4 Amph. .

60% of 44Amps is 26.4Ampswink

Mike

Thread: Does your club prohibit the use of after-market receivers?
23/03/2019 21:35:16

I would question whether this actually achieves the objective. I would assume the club would allow the use of an Orange Tx module with an Orange receiver. However, some of the Orange modules had a fault in their firmware, I found the fault and reported it to the firmware writer. For the Orange modules I have, I re-flashed them with the multiprotocol firmware that had the fault fixed. So, as far as it looks, I would be using an Orange module and receiver!

As it happens, I normally only use FrSky, but I have used other modules and receivers when testing them.

Another possibility could be someone has several DSM2 receivers which match the make of the Tx, but some DSMX receivers that don't. I would suggest the DSMX receivers may well perform better, particularly on a crowded flight line.

I would also wonder what that club thinks of open source Tx firmware. Personally, I'm much happier using that as I know what is in it!

Mike

Thread: FrSky Taranis X9D Plus
16/03/2019 23:16:09

Do you mean a newer model of the X9D (or X9Dplus)?

They clearly have a range of transmitters (Xlite, X7, X9d/+, X9E, X10/X12) to suit a range of budgets and requirements. They are always working to improve performance and cost effectiveness.

I'm not aware of any replacement Tx likely to be available soon. I am aware of some of their developments (but under a NDA I can't say anything specific). By replacement I mean an updated X9D. Over time the X9D/+ has been improved internally to make it easier to produce, and may undergo further improvements, but will still be a X9D/+.

I assume you have considered the range available and have selected the X9D/+ as the most suitable for you, based on cost and features.

I actually use a X9D+ as my main transmitter.

Mike

Edited By Mike Blandford on 16/03/2019 23:20:19

Thread: Seagull 80" DH Chipmunk
16/03/2019 15:48:38

There is a lot of information on the openXsensor here: **LINK**.

If you want something "simple" to start with, you could look at **LINK**.

I did this to replace the X8R2Analog device I designed that was available from T9Hobbysport (and Aloft in the US), but has recently been discontinued. Note it uses a 3.3V, 8MHz Arduino Pro Mini.

Mike

Thread: Turnigy 9X range issues?
06/03/2019 16:31:46

Yes you may have both modules active, but when binding it is advisable to only have the one module operating to avoid it being "swamped" by the other module.

As I understand it, there is a known problem with the Orange module and some BNF models where the throttle never works. I don't have any BNF models so I can't test that myself, and anyway, all my Orange modules have been re-flashed to use the Multiprotocol firmware!

Did the Orange module have a flashing LED before and now doesn't?

Mike

05/03/2019 22:54:41

Which module do you have internal and which external?

When binding, modules usually transmit at a very low power level, having another module powered at the same time could interfere with the bind operation.

Mike

Thread: LBT
01/03/2019 15:55:09
Posted by Doc Marten on 01/03/2019 14:31:50:

The way I understand the regulations and the modules is that all new RC Tx & Rx bought after Jan 2015 needs to conform to LBT, now you can only buy JR modules on LBT so if you have a Futaba, HI-Tec or similar Tx which you want to change it is obselete on 2.4 Ghz unless you buy a DFT (non EU) module, in which case you are breaking the law unless you use D mode Rx, so you need to buy new gear which is LBT and is legal and compatible with everything new unless non EU, if you are a JR user and change to using LBT from pre-LBT you need to either change all your old Rx or tinker with them to make them work. Is this okay so far?

LBT is ONE way of conforming to the regulations, but not the only way.

I believe you may still sell non-conforming equipment as long as it was placed in stock before the regulations came into force.

I'm unclear whether the 'D' protocol does conform to the regulations, without measurements of the duration and power of transmissions we cannot be sure if they meet the 10% media utilisation factor or not. Given the DFT, DJT and DHT modules are still for sale, either they should either meet the regulations or they are "old" stock. 'D' receivers should be legal as they only transmit for part of 9mS every 36mS and at, I believe, only 60mW, so meet the 10% MUF.

Even with the LBT firmware in a XJT module, the module supports 'D' protocol. You may need to update the firmware on the radio to allow the 'D' protocol to be selected. An external XJT module (JR type), has switches on the back that enable switching to 'D' protocol.

Mike

01/03/2019 12:22:21

With FrSky, a data packet is sent every 9mS, so 111 times per second. With LBT, the Tx listens to see if the channel is "free". If it is it transmits. If not, then it doesn't. Probably, this has no significant effect compared with transmitting regardless as, if the channel is already in use, anything transmitted probably gets corrupted by whatever is already transmitting, so is lost anyway (and probably corrupts whatever is already transmitting!).

It is not illegal to use non-LBT equipment if it was purchased before the regulations came into effect, or was imported before then.

The DFT (and DJT/DHT) pre-date the LBT regulations and don't support LBT anyway. If the DFT module is available for purchase, it may well have been imported a long time ago.

This older type module and transmission (FrSky 'D' and 'V'" is becoming obsolete.

I note that the DFT module costs £23.40 from T9. You might consider purchasing the FrSky QX7 ('only' £103.40 from T9). This includes an internal XJT module, that fully supports LBT.

Mike

Thread: S6R receivers
20/02/2019 23:44:34

I've just put my 'scope onto the outputs of a S8R and can confirm there are no pulses output at power on (except for a single, very short pulse of about 15uS) until the Tx signal is being received.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us