By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Blandford

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Blandford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motorcycles and model flying
14/01/2019 13:38:41
Posted by Dave Hess on 14/01/2019 11:25:07:

I would conclude that it's a complete non-starter to use a motorbike for transporting your plane to the field.

See my post above, I disagree. I regularly used my motorbike for transport, when I was at university, and in the end I took the 'plane in the box home, which was a trip of 104 miles. The 'plane was perfectly OK.

It does need a 'plane designed to fit in the box.

Mike

13/01/2019 23:10:35

I had a Honda 175 with a (sloping) luggage rack behind the pillion seat. I made a wooden "wedge" that clamped to the rack, and provided a flat surface that extended the flat top of the pillion seat rearwards.
Then I made a plywood box that fitted on this flat surface, and extended behind it as well. The box included a couple of bolts on the sides that could be extended down to locate into the wedge to hold it in position. I also strapped it down with bungees.
The box was 1 foot square in cross section and 3 feet long with 2 inch wide slots down each side for wings and a fuselage would fit in the centre, with the tail sticking out the back of the box. Accessories and the Tx fitted under the fuselage. I transported a 60 inch span, 60 powered aerobatic model in it! The "wedge" included a couple of wheels so I could lift it and the box off the 'bike and wheel it to the pits!
As the whole thing was much lighter than a passenger, it didn't actually affect the handling of the 'bike.

Definitely surprised people when I arrived and assembled such a large 'plane and flew it!

If you have a much smaller model, you should be able to do something similar, but would only need a small box for it, say 9 inches square and only 2 feet long.

Mike

Thread: X9D+ Double Trouble
12/01/2019 23:50:23

Two questions:

1. You can't access the bootloader, but does the radio start normally?

2. When you plug in the USB with the power off, do you see a device in the "Devices and Printers" caled "STM Bootloader"?

Mike

Thread: Who wants a Warbird Replics Hurricane?
29/12/2018 21:29:14

I have been "plodding" along with my build. It doesn't look much different, but I have the wing fully covered (transparent, iron on film) and just need to add the linkage to one of the outer flaps. The radiator is also on the wing, so that is all ready for painting.

I have the (electric) motor mounting in place (ply box), a flight battery bay behind the motor with a hatch in the top of the cowl for access. The wing fairings are all in place and the exhausts on the cowl. Under the battery bay I hae a space for a NiMh radio battery (well if I need some nose weight it may as well be useful!). My current plan is to use the BEC from the ESC for main flight controls, and power the flap servo and the retracts from the separate NiMh battery. I may include a (schottky) diode from the battery to the BEC output as a backup supply.

All servos are fitted and operating OK, I put an 8-channel Rx in to test everything. As I have 5 connections to the wing (two aileron servos, two retracts and the flap servo, I shall put a SBUS to PPM converter on the wing to reduce the wiring needed, plugging up 5 cables sounds bad!

Just to see what it looks like, I put a 70mm spinner with a prop on the motor. It seems like I'll need a slightly larger spinner, 80mm looks about right, but as I have the 70mm one I may just use that to start with.

Any one else actually building theirs?

Mike

Thread: Gatwick drone incident
23/12/2018 14:22:01
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 23/12/2018 12:01:07:

Mike, does the R9M module allow for telemetry? Not that using that would exempt your models from being UAVs.

Sorry, slightly off topic.
Yes, that is how I monitored the RSSI, it has full FrSky SPort telemetry, at the lower power levels.

Mike

23/12/2018 11:52:27
Posted by Ronaldo on 23/12/2018 11:05:15:

Hmmm ... well if all else fails, I could always go back to my control line flying days ... They can't put restrictions on that ... or can they ? dont know

From the ANO (2016):

(2) A relevant aircraft which is launched, moored, tethered or towed must not be operated—
(a) in such a manner as to—
(i) represent a hazard to other airspace users; or
(ii) without the permission of the CAA, result in any part of the relevant aircraft whilst it
is being launched or towed, or its tether, mooring or towing equipment, extending
more than 60 metres above ground level;
(b) within controlled airspace or airspace notified for the purpose of this article;
(c) within the aerodrome traffic zone of a notified aerodrome during the notified operating
hours of that aerodrome except—
(i) during the day and in Visual Meteorological Conditions; and
(ii) with the permission of the person in charge of the aerodrome, the appropriate air
traffic control unit or the CAA.

So you already have restrictions on control line as they are "tethered".

David Mellor: I think you will find the 900MHz band is becoming more used as, in some countries, more output power is allowed (up to 1watt), and modules and receivers are readily available. I have the FrSky R9M module and receiver, and could easily update the firmware to use 1 watt power. I tested on 10mW and got similar (or better) RSSI results to the standard 2.4GHz units.

Mike

22/12/2018 13:14:49

I would suggest as many as possible write (or e-mail) to their MP explaining clearly the difference between actively controlling a model in LOS and having a multi-rotor operating in completely autonomous mode.

Our MPs are there to represent US (the people). Please provide them with the understanding they need.

During the last consultation I e-mailed my MP, clearly explaining why a 400 feet limit was not good for my (electric) thermal glider, complete with graphs of telemetry showing most thermal lift only occurred above 400 feet.. I received a reply from my MP, indicating he had (given my expertise!) passed my communication on to Baroness Sugg, the Minister. I subsequently received another reply that included a response from the Minister. This was positive in that it indicated the Minister was listening to the model associations, and expected the exemption we currently have to be provided.

Where I fly, we also have a NOTAM in force telling full size pilots we may be flying model up to 1800 feet above sea level (around 1500 feet above ground level). So this is using regulation in the "other" direction.

Mike

Thread: Turnigy 9X range issues?
10/12/2018 18:59:58

I suggest editing your last post, or getting a Mod to do it to remove your e-mail from it for security. I have your e-mail from your kind donation, thank you.

You may power both modules at once. With the 9Xtreme, if a module is not active, then it is not powered, so no need to remove an unused module.

Mike

10/12/2018 16:33:53

I've managed to sort out quite a few problems remotely.

The only differences between the version you have flashed and the latest test version are the extra numbers being displayed, so you don't need to update unless you want to get rid of those numbers.

Go to the protocol menu, select the internal module, then just tick the box to enable it. Power should be switched on to the module and a PPM signal sent to it.

The Orange modules did have a problem, and mat still have it, where some BNF models would not respond to the throttle.

Mike

10/12/2018 09:38:22

There is a 10-way cable going from the back board to the 9Xtreme board. It plugs in to the right sided of the 9Xtreme. Pin 1 is to the top of the board. The switched trainer power is on pin 5 (a yellow wire on my radio).

If you have a 3.5mm jack plug, you could try plugging this into the trainer socket a few times to see if that clears the problem.

To disconnect this, unplug the connector, then using a pin or a needle, gently lift the small "tongue" that holds the crimp terminal in the housing and pull the 5th wire out. Wrap the exposed terminal in insulating tape.Now plug the 10-way cable back in and test again.

Mike

09/12/2018 20:13:24

I've posted a new test version for you to try. This adds a couple of numbers to the "Shutting Down" screen. I'll need to know what these numbers are.

You may flash this test version the same way you did the previous version.

At some point, you could update the bootloader. This is done by powering the radio on holding the two horizontal trims APART, which enters "Maintenance Mode" where you have an option to update the bootloader from the file on the SD card.

It is looking as though you have power coming in from the trainer port, or a short to the trainer port power signal. This is on the "Back Board", the board in the back shell of the case. At the bottom is a 10-way connection. The "Trainer Power" signal is the 5th from the right. Please check there is no obvious short (e.g. solder splash) on that connection.

Mike

09/12/2018 17:16:04

Odd! We'll try a different way. Start the radio in bootloader mode, then plug in the USB cable. You should see two hard drives, one is the SD card. Check there is a directory on the SD card called "Firmware", if not create one.

Now copy the .bin file into the Firmware directory. Next, unplug the USB and use the "Flash Firmware option in the bootloader to update the firmware. You need to use a LONG press of the menu button to select and confirm the operations.

After flashing, power off the radio then restart it.

Mike

Edited By Mike Blandford on 09/12/2018 17:16:37

09/12/2018 16:00:28

With eepskye running, click on the "Flash Firmware to Tx" button on the toolbar (a Tx with an orange flame).

Then select the file to flash and click OK, then confirm the flashing.

Mike

09/12/2018 15:13:51

There should be 14 screens, so the first (BATTERY) screen should have 1/14 in the top corner.

Please check the version reported by the firmware: go LEFT LONG (to the radio setup), then find the version display. It should show today's date. I wonder if the file did write correctly.

Mike

09/12/2018 14:08:46

Make sure you are running eepskye, not eepe. It is installed in the same directory as eepe.

Also, in the Burn menu, Configure options, make sure "Use SAM-BA" is NOT ticked.

RIGHT is the right button and LEFT is the left button, regardless of what is on the buttons.

Mike

09/12/2018 12:07:40

Extract the .bin file, then "Burn" it to the radio.

Then, start the radio. "UP LONG" is press and hold the "UP" navigation button on the left side of the radio. Then press the RIGHT navigation button around 8 times to get to the DEBUG display.

Mike

09/12/2018 10:33:47

I've posted a specific test version of ersky9x (in "ersky9x9XT_rom_AM_test.zip" here: **LINK**

Please install this, then with it running go UP LONG, then RIGHT several times to the "DEBUG" display. On the 4th line from the bottom there are 4 numbers. What are the last 2 numbers with the power switch ON and OFF?

Mike

08/12/2018 15:26:05

Do you have eepskye installed on your computer? This makes it easy to backup your existing settings and firmware and flash new firmware.

I have a test version of ersky9x ready for you to flash.

Mike

08/12/2018 00:36:13

Please try plugging J4 back in, then connect the battery. What battery voltage is reported on the main display (and what battery are you using)?

Then switch the power switch on, then off. In theory, the firmware should detect the power switch going off and try to shut down, displaying "SHUTTING DOWN", even if it doesn't actually power off.

If you can get into the bootloader (trims inwards at power on), then I can build a special test version of the firmware that can display some information that might help locate this problem.

Mike

07/12/2018 17:47:04

OK, we will check the power switch. Check the continuity between pins 2 and 3 of the connector that plugs in to J4. With the power switch off (down) there should be no connection, with the power switch up, you should get a short circuit.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us