By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Blandford

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Blandford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Greetings from the land of Oz
24/12/2019 13:22:28

You might have a look at the open source firmware used on many radios er9x/erskyTx and openTx.

er9x, in particular, runs on AVR processors.

Mike

Thread: D8R-11 plus Receiver and EU LBT firmware
23/12/2019 23:24:11

In each of the .zip files is a single .bin file. You don't need to open it, just flash it to the receiver.

Have you downloaded the STM software that does the flashing?

Mike

Thread: FrSky Neuron ESC
22/12/2019 16:02:18

Try changing the initial value of "selected here (first part of line only shown):

local sensor = {sensorType = {selected = 13, list = {'Vario', 'FAS-40S'

The is an update to the SxR firmware that does let it configure external sensors. Because it has internal values you may change using SPort commands earlier firmware versions didn't allow any commands out on the SPort, they were all intercepted by the SxR.

I wonder if the Neuron is responding to TWO different physical IDs? As an ESC it uses an appID of 0xB50 (I suggested in the above change) while as a SBEC device it uses an appID of 0xE50.

You could try changing the B50 to E50 in the change I suggested and see if you get a different physical ID, maybe the same one as the FrSky LUA.

Mike

22/12/2019 12:29:13

Yes, this firmware makes a D8 receiver (almost) into a 'X' receiver.

Mike

22/12/2019 12:25:50

No it doesn't, needs another update.

You could try editing it in this area, where I've added data for the Neuron, it might work:

local sensorIdTx = 0x17 -- sensorid 18
local sensor = {sensorType = {selected = 12, list = {'Vario', 'FAS-40S', 'FLVSS', 'RPM', 'Fuel', 'Accel', 'GPS', 'Air speed', 'R Bus', 'Gas suit', 'X8R2ANA', 'Neuron', '-'}, dataId = { 0x100, 0x200, 0x300, 0x500, 0x600, 0x700, 0x800, 0xA00, 0xB00, 0xD00, 0xF103, 0xB50 }, elements = 12 },
sensorId = {selected = 29, elements = 28}}
local selection = {selected = 1, state = false, list = {'sensorType', 'sensorId'}, elements = 2}

Note the change to the value of "sensorIdTx " as well, I think this may have been translated from my original Basic script incorrectly.

Mike

22/12/2019 10:12:10

If you use the erskyTx bootloader, you get an option to "run an app". One of the apps available is a "change ID" app that lets you change the SPort ID of sensors to any valid value.

Mike

21/12/2019 23:51:45

On the link above, I've now posted an update to my D16 firmware for D8 receivers.

1. I now include a bootloader so after flashing this new version you no longer need to short the 2 pads to be able to flash any later versions.

2. By default the servo output pulses are at an18mS period. There is now an option to enable a 9mS period, with each channel individually configurable to 18 or 9mS. This is set by using a script on the Tx. I've included a script for erskyTx, which would need to be translated to LUA for openTx.

3. After some testing I've found the performance seems to be better if the "Auto tune" option is not used (so use a zero value as used by FrSky firmware). This is now the default, but "Auto tune" my be turned on.

4. I've removed the option to use the Tx signal as SBUS, as doing so makes it impossible to use any external sensors. However, the Tx signal, with the addition of a diode ecternally, my be used to provide a SPort compatible connection to use SPort sensors.

5. Tuning, SPort or hub, SBUS on chan 8, and SBUS on chan 4 are selectable using links at bind time.

6. Outputs of 1-8 or 9-16 are selectable at bind time via radio firmware.

I'm looking into adding an option to allow full mapping of the servo outputs. This would allow any channel to be placed on any servo output (it would also map the SBUS values at the same time).

Mike

Thread: Judder on all servos with DFT module
11/12/2019 00:50:20

In D8 mode, the module sends all 8 channels at a 9mS period, but every fourth 9mS period it doesn't send anything, instead this time is used by a telemetry receiver to send the telemetry data back to the Tx.

In PPM mode, the module has to measure each PPM pulse, and then it is sent in a digital format. The receiver (I believe) synchronises to the 9mS period and sends the servo pulses out every 18mS.

I just tried a DJT module (same hardware and firmware as the DFT) in a 9X with a SKY board upgrade, to a D8R-IIplus. The protocol to the DJT is PPM, and I can change the frame rate (erskyTx firmware on the Tx). I increased the frame period to 31mS, and I couldn't detect any significant stepping of a servo. Just possibly, the servos were slightly smoother when I reduced the frame period to 18mS.

This Tx creates the PPM frame by measuring the stick positions, then storing all the required pulse widths ready for transmission shortly before the start of the first PPM pulse.

I then swapped in a XJT module, configured for D8 mode, but using the PXX protocol. This sends the data to the module every 9mS in digital format. A servo was definitely smoother (I was using an old Hitec HS-303 with a 1 foot long balsa stick on it).

I would agree that any stepping being seen is due to phasing between the different frame rates, causing a significant variation in latency from stick movement to servo output pulse.. The more channels a Tx is sending, then the longer the frame period will be.

Mike

09/12/2019 18:53:46

You don't mention what transmitter you are using.
You say the servos judder. What do you mean by this? Do they move in response to the sticks, but don't stay still in any position?

If your Tx has a protocol setting, the DFT module requires PPM (not PCM).

Mike

Thread: Unexpected behaviour of SwE in Taranis
06/12/2019 11:54:08

CH8: MAX Weight(+100%) Switch(!SE^)

Does what you require.

Mike

Thread: Horus X10 Express
28/11/2019 23:13:04

You only need to do the self check and servo calibration once, so you don't need it permanently available.

How have you set switch G to control channel 12? I don't know FrOs, but I do have a X10 Express with FrOs currently on it (I needed it to test the PARA trainer function to the new X9LiteS running ersktTx, so FrSky sent me one!). I will be porting erskyTx to it when I have time.

So, I have an input map setting where FLP3 is set to SWG. I also have a channel set, in the output map, to use FLP3.
Then I've set another input AUX1 to be LSW2, but I (deliberately) don't have anything set on LSW2.
Finally, I have an EX-MIXER configured:
To: FLP3
Method as ":=" (replace)
SW: SWH_UP

This seems to work to prevent switch G from controlling the channel unless switch H is pulled.

There may be a better way, but I haven't investigated FrOs further to find one!

Mike

26/11/2019 12:43:04

What update download is this in? I can't locate one on the FrSky site with such a LUA script in it.

Mike

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
25/11/2019 16:16:34

Well I needed the LUA script so I could write the BASIC script version for erskyTx, which I then passed to T9 and Aloft for their use!

I have heard that dealers have sent the LUA script out to some people needing to change.

Mike

25/11/2019 12:51:17

I don't believe the RX8R-PRO has ACCESS firmware available for it, so it will still be ACCST (D16).

GG: Have you selected ACCST and not ACCESS when binding?

Mike

25/11/2019 11:13:20

On the X9Lite with the ACCESS module, the EU/non-EU mode is set simply by running a script to change the mode, the module doesn't need re-flashing. You may need to enquire about getting a script to run on your Tx.

My understanding of the ACCESS protocol is the Rx (running ACCESS of course) automatically detect the EU/non-EU mode when binding.

Mike

Thread: Jumper T16 is it me ?
24/11/2019 10:17:41

Assuming you are using the multi-protocol module on the T16, this has most likely got automatic channel re-mapping in it. What this means is you (always) set the Tx to AETR. The module then changes this order depending on the protocol it is using. For Spektrum (and compatibles) this is TAER.

So, with the Tx set to AETR, you should find the throttle is output on channel 1 of the Rx, Aileron on 2, Elevator on 3 and Rudder on 4.

Mike

Thread: Binding
23/11/2019 18:53:00

Try this **LINK**

I just did a search for
"top gun" rc 2.4GHz transmitter manual

Looks like it binds on every power up!

Mike

Thread: Horus X10 Express
19/11/2019 00:21:30

There is a video how-to here: **LINK**

However, you might like to consider the following. With the radio powered off, if you connect it to your computer via USB, the processor will start in "STM Bootloader" mode. In this mode, you are able to read the flash memory from the processor and write to it. Reading it means you should be able to restore it if something goes wrong during the update.
To use the STM Bootloader, you need a DFU (Device Firmware Update) program. STM provide one called DfUse. You may download DfUse from STM here: **LINK**
It looks to be available from other sites as well (DfUse Demo works fine). I read the flash memory from my X10S Express using this only a couple of days ago!

Mike

Thread: RX8R Pro Signal Swamping??
16/11/2019 10:25:17

The new ACCESS capable modules (built in and external) include support for 'X' series receivers (D16 protocol).

If you have older D8 receivers, I've written firmware for them that operates in D16 mode, see here: **LINK**

Mike

Thread: FrSky Futaba Tx Module
23/10/2019 20:49:15

RapidRc appear to have a combo for £44.99 (DFT + V8FR-II) see: **LINK**

While needing a bit more effort to fit, the DHT will work.

The DFT (and DHT) are now listed on the FrSky site as discontinued.

Mike

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!