By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Blandford

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Blandford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gatwick drone incident
22/12/2018 13:14:49

I would suggest as many as possible write (or e-mail) to their MP explaining clearly the difference between actively controlling a model in LOS and having a multi-rotor operating in completely autonomous mode.

Our MPs are there to represent US (the people). Please provide them with the understanding they need.

During the last consultation I e-mailed my MP, clearly explaining why a 400 feet limit was not good for my (electric) thermal glider, complete with graphs of telemetry showing most thermal lift only occurred above 400 feet.. I received a reply from my MP, indicating he had (given my expertise!) passed my communication on to Baroness Sugg, the Minister. I subsequently received another reply that included a response from the Minister. This was positive in that it indicated the Minister was listening to the model associations, and expected the exemption we currently have to be provided.

Where I fly, we also have a NOTAM in force telling full size pilots we may be flying model up to 1800 feet above sea level (around 1500 feet above ground level). So this is using regulation in the "other" direction.

Mike

Thread: Turnigy 9X range issues?
10/12/2018 18:59:58

I suggest editing your last post, or getting a Mod to do it to remove your e-mail from it for security. I have your e-mail from your kind donation, thank you.

You may power both modules at once. With the 9Xtreme, if a module is not active, then it is not powered, so no need to remove an unused module.

Mike

10/12/2018 16:33:53

I've managed to sort out quite a few problems remotely.

The only differences between the version you have flashed and the latest test version are the extra numbers being displayed, so you don't need to update unless you want to get rid of those numbers.

Go to the protocol menu, select the internal module, then just tick the box to enable it. Power should be switched on to the module and a PPM signal sent to it.

The Orange modules did have a problem, and mat still have it, where some BNF models would not respond to the throttle.

Mike

10/12/2018 09:38:22

There is a 10-way cable going from the back board to the 9Xtreme board. It plugs in to the right sided of the 9Xtreme. Pin 1 is to the top of the board. The switched trainer power is on pin 5 (a yellow wire on my radio).

If you have a 3.5mm jack plug, you could try plugging this into the trainer socket a few times to see if that clears the problem.

To disconnect this, unplug the connector, then using a pin or a needle, gently lift the small "tongue" that holds the crimp terminal in the housing and pull the 5th wire out. Wrap the exposed terminal in insulating tape.Now plug the 10-way cable back in and test again.

Mike

09/12/2018 20:13:24

I've posted a new test version for you to try. This adds a couple of numbers to the "Shutting Down" screen. I'll need to know what these numbers are.

You may flash this test version the same way you did the previous version.

At some point, you could update the bootloader. This is done by powering the radio on holding the two horizontal trims APART, which enters "Maintenance Mode" where you have an option to update the bootloader from the file on the SD card.

It is looking as though you have power coming in from the trainer port, or a short to the trainer port power signal. This is on the "Back Board", the board in the back shell of the case. At the bottom is a 10-way connection. The "Trainer Power" signal is the 5th from the right. Please check there is no obvious short (e.g. solder splash) on that connection.

Mike

09/12/2018 17:16:04

Odd! We'll try a different way. Start the radio in bootloader mode, then plug in the USB cable. You should see two hard drives, one is the SD card. Check there is a directory on the SD card called "Firmware", if not create one.

Now copy the .bin file into the Firmware directory. Next, unplug the USB and use the "Flash Firmware option in the bootloader to update the firmware. You need to use a LONG press of the menu button to select and confirm the operations.

After flashing, power off the radio then restart it.

Mike

Edited By Mike Blandford on 09/12/2018 17:16:37

09/12/2018 16:00:28

With eepskye running, click on the "Flash Firmware to Tx" button on the toolbar (a Tx with an orange flame).

Then select the file to flash and click OK, then confirm the flashing.

Mike

09/12/2018 15:13:51

There should be 14 screens, so the first (BATTERY) screen should have 1/14 in the top corner.

Please check the version reported by the firmware: go LEFT LONG (to the radio setup), then find the version display. It should show today's date. I wonder if the file did write correctly.

Mike

09/12/2018 14:08:46

Make sure you are running eepskye, not eepe. It is installed in the same directory as eepe.

Also, in the Burn menu, Configure options, make sure "Use SAM-BA" is NOT ticked.

RIGHT is the right button and LEFT is the left button, regardless of what is on the buttons.

Mike

09/12/2018 12:07:40

Extract the .bin file, then "Burn" it to the radio.

Then, start the radio. "UP LONG" is press and hold the "UP" navigation button on the left side of the radio. Then press the RIGHT navigation button around 8 times to get to the DEBUG display.

Mike

09/12/2018 10:33:47

I've posted a specific test version of ersky9x (in "ersky9x9XT_rom_AM_test.zip" here: **LINK**

Please install this, then with it running go UP LONG, then RIGHT several times to the "DEBUG" display. On the 4th line from the bottom there are 4 numbers. What are the last 2 numbers with the power switch ON and OFF?

Mike

08/12/2018 15:26:05

Do you have eepskye installed on your computer? This makes it easy to backup your existing settings and firmware and flash new firmware.

I have a test version of ersky9x ready for you to flash.

Mike

08/12/2018 00:36:13

Please try plugging J4 back in, then connect the battery. What battery voltage is reported on the main display (and what battery are you using)?

Then switch the power switch on, then off. In theory, the firmware should detect the power switch going off and try to shut down, displaying "SHUTTING DOWN", even if it doesn't actually power off.

If you can get into the bootloader (trims inwards at power on), then I can build a special test version of the firmware that can display some information that might help locate this problem.

Mike

07/12/2018 17:47:04

OK, we will check the power switch. Check the continuity between pins 2 and 3 of the connector that plugs in to J4. With the power switch off (down) there should be no connection, with the power switch up, you should get a short circuit.

Mike

Thread: Servo rotation
07/12/2018 17:35:48

I have some code for a small Microchip PIC processor that extends a servo pulse to give a 180 degree rotation for using a normal servo to drive mechanical retracts. It does also slow down the output change to give a realistic retract operation.

Mike

Thread: Turnigy 9X range issues?
05/12/2018 18:57:11

The board never had any pins on the expansion grid.

Probably 3 hands needed for bootloader mode! Possibly you could temporarily wire a switch in the battery leads.

First test, with the battery disconnected, unplug J4 (the 6-way connector in the middle at the top of the board. THe pins are numbered from the left 1-6. Using a resistance measurement, measure the resistance between pins 2 and 3. Try the measurement with the leads both ways round as there are 2 MOSFETs in the circuit with opposing (parasitic) diodes. We are checking for one or both being a short circuit, You should get no, or a very high, resistance.

Mike

04/12/2018 18:26:45

Well, the 9Xtreme upgrade board from Smartieparts runs ersky9x firmware. I guess you haven't updated the firmware since you got the board. As long as the firmware does everything you need, then you don't need to update it. The current release version of ersky9x is R221. I think the 9Xtreme shipped with R218.

The trainer source is set on the trainer display, at the right of the top line. I'm not sure when I added that, along with "trainer profiles"!

If you are OK probing with a multi-meter (voltage and resistance) I can take you through some places where you may investigate further.

The 9Xtreme schematic is published here: **LINK**.

Mike

03/12/2018 20:16:45

One way of powering on the radio is by plugging a trainer jack plug in. This works independent of the power switch.

Connect your battery, then go to the "Trainer" menu. If in trainer mode, it will just display "SLAVE". This will test to see if the trainer jack socket is the cause of your problem. You won't get the "SLAVE" display, if the trainer source is not set to "JACK PPM" at the top right of the display.

Mike

03/12/2018 09:17:31

Did you miss my question?

Mike

02/12/2018 09:43:20

Does the firmware run normally, when you now just plug the battery in, or just a buzzing noise with nothing on the display?

The 9Xtreme has a "soft power switch", so that once it is powered on with the switch, it keeps the power on, even when you switch off, so it may ensure all data is written to the EEPROM before it then turns itself off.

The 9Xtreme fully supports TWO modules, one mounted internally and the other externally. Both have software controlled power switches and separate signal outputs so you may select either (or both) to operate on a specific model. You wire the DIY module to a connector on 9Xtreme.

Details of the connector are here: **LINK**.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us