By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Blandford

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Blandford has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stabilisation
18/08/2018 14:38:08

For FrSky, the S6R and S8R stabilising receivers are only a couple of pounds more than the X6R and X8R. You may configure them with the stabilising function turned off, so I reckon you might as well always get them.

They may be configured from the Tx (assuming you are using ersky9x or openTx).

Mike

Thread: Finding records of WWII service men.
17/08/2018 12:39:19

Definitely look into getting his service record. My wife got those of both her parents and I got my fathers record. It will probably cost £30.

They can make interesting reading, although sometimes the writing is difficult to read and you need to look up acronyms!

Mike

Thread: Power Safe for any receiver
17/08/2018 12:28:06

Very nice and a good idea.

A thought on Rx brownouts. You could use a schottky diode feeding the power to the Rx, then include a (large value?) capacitor on the Rx side to keep supplying power to the Rx if the power rail does dip.

As always, adding this makes everything larger and more complicated, but may be useful if you are concerned about brownouts.

Mike

Thread: EU. LBT
11/08/2018 19:37:15

Interesting! I don't have any official DSM transmitters, only 4-in-1 and Orange modules (flashed to the Multi protocol).

Checking on a 4-in-1, I see what appears to be two short transmissions, a bit over 1mS each from the power voltage dip, every 22 mS, so as long as the power isa bit under 100mW, then they are under 10% MU. However, in 11mS mode there are FOUR such transmissions in 22mS, so I reckon the power would need to be under 50mW to be under 10% MU.

Of course, a "real" DSM transmission may be less than 1mS in duration.

Mike

Edited By Mike Blandford on 11/08/2018 19:38:24

11/08/2018 09:33:10

Does anyone know if DSMX does LBT, and if it doesn't, what does it do to be legal in the EU?

I'm not aware of a different version for EU and rest of the world use.

Mike

Edited By Mike Blandford on 11/08/2018 09:33:28

09/08/2018 13:35:29

Some information on FrSky "D" series receiver. The "D" protocol works with the Tx sending a packet over the air every 9mS, for 3 periods, then the Rx sends a packet back (telemetry) in the 4th 9mS period. By looking at the receiver voltage (that dips while the Rx is transmitting), I see the Rx only transmits for 6.7mS, so only 6.7 mS every 36mS.

The power is, I understand, less than 60mW. I just looked at the FCC test report and this indicates 58.7mW for the DJT module. I'm unclear if this is with the 2db antenna. The Rx, without a 2db antenna may well be lower than 60mW. The range of the telemetry to the Tx will be the same as the control as the 2db antenna on the Tx will provide the same gain when receiving.

According to my calculations, if the Rx only transmitts at 53mW, then it will be under the 10% occupancy.

Mike

Thread: AXI 2826 bearing replacement. Advice needed.
07/08/2018 22:58:10

Once you have removed the circlip, the bell and shaft should slide out, no need to undo the grub screws. The magnets are very strong, so it does need quite a pull. Be very careful when sliding the shaft back in, the pull is so strong, it goes together "fast" and can trap part of a finger!

Mike

Thread: SBUS SERVOS
06/08/2018 23:49:40

The Rx (X8R) servo pulses are always at 18mS. Some of the D8R receivers had an option where you press the bind button on the Rx for 6 seconds to switch the outputs between 18mS and 9mS.

On openTx selecting 8 channels (9mS) simply sends channels 1-8 to the XJT every 9mS. The XJT still sends all 16 channels, but since channels 9-16 are always in the centre position, changes on channels 1-8 will always be sent before channels 9-16, so you get lower latency.

Mike

06/08/2018 22:39:35

In ersky9x, I have a mode available where all 16 channels are sent to the XJT module every 9mS. The XJT actually monitors all 16 channels and doesn't always send the channels in order. Each RF frame, sent every 9mS, contains 8 channels, nominally 1-8 or 9-16. However, each channel position has a bit to indicate whether it is from 1-8 or 9-16, so the first channel in the frame is either 1 or 9, the second is either 2 or 10 and so on up to the last channel that is either 8 or 16.

What the XJT does is to note the "last value sent" on a channel, then when it is about to send a frame it looks to see if channel 1 or channel 9 has the larger difference from the "last value sent", and sends that channel. This means that sometimes channel 1 is sent in consecutive RF frames. I have seen this happen when using a logic analyser on the SPI bus to the CC2500 RF chip on the XJT.

By sending all 16 channels to the XJT every 9mS, this gives the XJT all the information to get channel changes sent as early as possible, so minimising latency. I believe openTx may have or get this at some point.

To make best use of this, you really need to use SBUS as that also outputs frames every 9mS. For minimum latency, you therefore need to use the 9mS PWM output and so a digital servo.

I have some changes (unpublished) to my arduino SBUS decoder that try to make use of the 9mS update rate. Basically, it normally sends pulses only every 18mS, but if it sees a change on a channel, and a pulse is not normally sent in that 9mS period, it sends a pulse, then returns to an 18mS period. I still need to do some more testing on this.

Mike

05/08/2018 11:25:19

I have an Arduino project that is a SBUS decoder here: **LINK**

By default the output rate is 18mS (for analog servos). There is an option to switch to 9mS.

Mike

Thread: Electric setup conundrum
02/08/2018 14:51:22

Peter, if the ESC has a BEC, and is then powering the receiver and servos via the red wire, connecting a battery to the receiver as well is then providing two power sources in parallel, with NO protection to either.

It the receiver battery is lower in voltage than the BEC output, then the BEC will be charging the battery, with no current limit.

If the receiver battery is higher in voltage than the BEC, then the BEC circuit will be powered in reverse. These days, many BEC circuits are "switch mode" operating in "step down". This generally means there is a MOSFET transisistor that switches the flight battery voltage through an inductor directly to the BEC output. Such MOSFETs have a (parasitic) diode that would conduct the opposite way to normal (i.e. pass the receiver voltage back to the flight battery. One result of this is if the receiver battery is connected, but the flight battery is not connected, then the receiver battery will power the ESC. If you advance the throttle at this point, then the motor will start, powered from the receiver battery. There is likely to be enough power for the propellor to injure someone, particularly if they thought the motor wouldn't start because the flight battery is not connected. The amounr of current flowing to the motor may also be enough to overload the copper tracking in the receiver, thus causing damage to the receiver.

If you don't have a "power sharing" circuit to prevent these events happening, then I strongly recommend the red wire is disconnected from the ESC.

If the ESC is an "opto" type, then it doesn't have a BEC and the red wire does need to remain connected.

Mike

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
25/07/2018 13:41:32

Well done to all from me as well.

I does seem that my Qudratwirl (4-rotor autogyro) is still limited to under 400 feet (not that I think I'd see it that well above that anyway, and I mostly flew it indoors). Does an autogyro have "lifting rotor or rotors", even though it/they are not powered? I would think so!

Is the Tony Nijhuis Harrier restricted to 400 feet as it has 4, lift generating "rotors"?

Note, I'm not being negative, we have an excellent result, just thinking about clarifying things. Clearly, if in doubt, keep below 400 feet.

Mike

Thread: The 2018 Transmitter Survey!
23/07/2018 09:53:03

Andy, what is it about the "Taranis" programming you don't get on with? I'm guessing you mean openTx programming model. ersky9x open source firmware also runs on the Taranis and may be easier to follow:

sd1.jpg

Mike

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
20/07/2018 23:21:05

For interest I put a vario in my aerobatic model (the one in my avatar, 52 inch span) and flew it today while logging the telemetry data. The model is quite light (3.5 pounds I think) and has around 700W available!

For much of the flight I was comfortably below 400 feet, but I did fly in level at around 100 feet then pull up into a vertical roll (single roll) and then do a stall turn. The height peaked at 500 feet, and took only 5 seconds to go from 100 to 500 feet.. Later in the flight I pulled a nice large loop and that peaked at 401 feet, again taking only 5 seconds to go from 70 feet to 401 feet..

Mike

Thread: IRange module
17/07/2018 09:38:13

To flash new firmware to the module you compile it using the Arduino IDE. All the power settings are included in the file "multiprotocol.h" like:

enum CYRF_POWER
{
CYRF_POWER_0 = 0x00, // -35dbm
CYRF_POWER_1 = 0x01, // -30dbm
CYRF_POWER_2 = 0x02, // -24dbm
CYRF_POWER_3 = 0x03, // -18dbm
CYRF_POWER_4 = 0x04, // -13dbm
CYRF_POWER_5 = 0x05, // -5dbm
CYRF_POWER_6 = 0x06, // 0dbm
CYRF_POWER_7 = 0x07 // +4dbm
};
#define CYRF_HIGH_POWER CYRF_POWER_7
#define CYRF_LOW_POWER CYRF_POWER_3
#define CYRF_RANGE_POWER CYRF_POWER_1 // 1/30 of the full power distance
#define CYRF_BIND_POWER CYRF_POWER_0

So to reduce the output for the CYRF chip (used for DSM) just change the line:
#define CYRF_HIGH_POWER CYRF_POWER_7
to
#define CYRF_HIGH_POWER CYRF_POWER_6

Mike

16/07/2018 23:01:06

I doubt they actually know what the output power is! There are 4 RF chips in the module and a single power amplifier. On my DIY module I notice the RSSI readings when using FrSky protocol are lower than when using a real FrSky XJT module, so I reckon the output power for that is lower.

The chip for FrSky (CC2500) can output a max of 1dbm (before the power amp.).
The maximum for the NRF chip is 0dbm, the A7105 is 1dbm and the CYRF chip (for DSM) is 4dbm.

Mike

16/07/2018 19:34:03

This all started out as a DIY project, see: **LINK**

The firmware on the module is open source, see: **LINK**

The transmitted power may be adjusted in a header file of the firmware.

Mike

Thread: X4R receiver seems to be stuck in CPPM output mode
11/07/2018 18:21:16

The RX4R is a different receiver, the X4R is on the second page of receivers and there is more than one firmware download listed.

If you go to the "bars" display on the Tx, is bar for channel 1 moving?

It may be worth creating a new model on the Tx, if you haven't already done so, to rule out any odd settings on the Tx causing the problem.

Mike

Thread: FRSky DIY module
06/07/2018 14:21:27

The switch is to select the mode of operation:

1. Old "V" receivers (not "V-II" receivers).
2. "D" (telemetry) receivers and "V-II" receivers.
3. Firmware upgrade.

Mike

Thread: Can't get S8R to stabilise or auto-level
22/06/2018 21:39:15

You "run" the LUA script like the PC configurator program. It reads all the values you may configure on the S8R and lets you edit them. As an example, you could change the "Auto-level offset" for the elevator to correct the nose down of the twinstar, and you can do this on the flying field.

Also, if you find the stabilisation is too mild, and turning the channle 9 gain up doesn't give enough, you can increase the individual gain values in the S8R. They default to 50% for the aileron, 80% for the elevator and 100% for the rudder. All may be adjusted up to 200%. Again, using the LUA script, you may do this at the flying field (e.g. between flights).

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us