By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ted hughes

Here is a list of all the postings ted hughes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help, two speed teapot.
20/02/2017 17:41:58

I didn't know anyone used teapots nowadays.Since the advent of teabags, tea can be made in the cup- unless you are trying to get two cups out of each bag!

Thread: Odd servo behavior
20/02/2017 17:37:47

I have been told it is nomal for digital sevos to chatter and jitter about when the Tx is close by.

I had a Radian Pro that did it with all 4 wing servos, in the air all was fine

Thread: E-Flite Radian XL
19/02/2017 17:56:44

There is some worrying talk of wing flutter, even the wings breaking up in a dive (Page 251):**LINK**

Thread: Ebay sellers...
18/02/2017 22:48:13

Good value?:**LINK**

Thread: Time to change car
18/02/2017 08:39:59

Edited By ted hughes on 18/02/2017 08:41:01

18/02/2017 07:19:21
Posted by cymaz on 18/02/2017 07:08:11:
Posted by David P Williams on 16/02/2017 17:44:56:

Thanks chaps, I know what you mean about anything else feeling small after the Mondeo. Its an hours drive to any flying club from here, so I tend to take a selection of models plus supplies for the day and the floorspace available makes it easy. I did baffle the Seat salesman by getting him to fold the seats down (they don't go flat) and measuring the loadspace. About 1.6m long, so a tight fit for things like my Wots Wot XL.

It is annoying that all the references for loadspace are in litres, when I need to know the floorspace.

Anyone out there able to measure a Focus estate for me please?

How about one of these? Flat floor, plenty of leg room, petrol . And you could stay at the club all weekend,

Or this:**LINK**

18/02/2017 07:03:18

A sign of things to come?(10 year old cars penalised):**LINK**

Edited By ted hughes on 18/02/2017 07:04:22

17/02/2017 22:03:33

One car I'd never buy is a Mercedes, and that is solely due to my grandfathers terrible experiences in the war....

He had one and it was really un-reliable....

What made it more embarrassing was that he was high-ranking in the SS.

(courtesy of Jack Dee)

17/02/2017 09:49:39
Posted by David P Williams on 17/02/2017 09:16:22:

The diesel thing is part of the problem I have. I said I would not have another diesel when I was shopping for my current car nearly 4 years ago - I only do 8000-9000 miles a year and a lot of it is short (<30miles) local trips.

The problem is that in the second hand market for model carrying type vehicles like estate cars, the vast majority are diesels. Finding a decent spec petrol one with a decent engine seems difficult, especially when you live a long way from any large towns or cities as I do.

Manufacturers over the last few years put all the effort into diesel models and the petrol versions appeared like an afterthought, or the basic entry level model with a puny engine that allowed them to advertise a low "starting from" price.

Things appear to be changing - new models, such as the Ateca I looked at, have good petrol options through the range, but it will take time for this to filter into the second hand market.

I'm extremely reluctant to buy new having dropped 18 grand in a couple of years on a new Jaguar I bought years ago back when I was still working. Now properly retired I have to make optimum use of the pension and non-increasing savings, so would be happier spending 10-12K plus the value of my current Mondeo (not much!) rather than 20K+. Anyway, no point having a really nice car round here as it's all narrow muddy lanes full of potholes and you spend a lot of time squeezing into hedges to make room for tractors the size of earthmovers, huge artics full of sheep, and school buses.

So - round and round the decision loop I go and I know the answer is probably either to keep the Mondeo estate I have and just patch it as it goes (will be less than 10-12K over the next 3 years) or swap it for a 2 or 3 year old petrol version if I can find one.

Apparently the cheapest way to run a car is to buy one a year old and keep it until repairs are un-economic (that came from a money-saving website, for what it is worth).

17/02/2017 09:46:29
Posted by Chris Whalley on 17/02/2017 08:27:42:

If they do ban diesels there's going to be an awful lot of vans and hgv's going spare!!!

Quite. I'm not supporting the backlash against diesels, I'm just pointing it out.

The harm diesel emissions do was not considered by Gordon Brown's government when they brought in the current tax bands.

17/02/2017 06:39:03

Don't get a diesel whatever car you get.

They are already being penalised with higher parking charges in some cities, and there is talk of them being banned altogether:http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=124368

Edited By ted hughes on 17/02/2017 06:58:21

Thread: Am I drinking too much?
15/02/2017 12:22:01
Posted by Broken Prop on 15/02/2017 11:55:11:

Well done Ted. You have taken the first step towards recovery and I mean recovery. I used to have an alcohol dependency, drinking around 60 units a week. I finally ended up in hospital with alcoholic hepatitus, losing a stone in weight in 10 days and wondering if I was going to survive.

I did, took it as a wake up call and gave up drinking. It is the hardest thing I have ever done having been a life long toper, but it has been worth all the pain, frustration and need for a drink. (You don't know you need a drink until you can't have one. It gnaws at you).

Three years later I feel better than I have for years. I am more active, have more patience and am able to cope with life. I still have trouble losing weight but that could be the subject for another thread!

Good luck Ted. I am with you all the way.

Pete

Thanks for this.

I shall report back tomorrow after the appointment.

15/02/2017 11:24:03
Posted by GONZO on 15/02/2017 11:14:41:

That amount of alcohol taken regularly will kill you in a few years. No way to put it gently, I'm being deadly serious, literally. Please get help immediately!

Thanks for all the replies.

Gonzo, I kind of thought it was excessive!

I have made a GP appointment for tomorrow, shall see what she says.

Mods, please delete this thread if you think it best- I don't want to make people feel uncomfortable.

15/02/2017 08:33:13
Posted by Jon Laughton on 15/02/2017 08:13:38:

I try not to judge others - it's a recipe for arguments that go nowhere

Please judge yourself- but not here

Go elsewhere, why?

I said at the beginning it was not model related.

People often ask questions about planning consent, cars,occasionally health-related. etc.

I'll be even money I'm not the only person over-drinking here, it is so common!

I just wanted a few lay opinions- feel free to ignore this thread.

15/02/2017 06:42:04

Not about models, but there is a lot of wisdom on this site.

I was wondering whether I might be drinking too much?

When I retired a couple of years ago, I would occasionally buy a half bottle of vodka, and drink it with lemonade in the evening.

These last few months, I have realized I have been buying a whole bottle each night (70cl bottle),drinking all but a half-inch or so, which I finish in the morning.

It doesn't really affect me, as I don't drive first thing, and I still do my chore like muck out the horses and take the dogs out in the day.

I do forget what I may have posted late at night though, it is sometimes a surprise to see what I have posted on various sites.

I also tend to think about doing things, rather than doing them.

What do people think,harmless, or should I knock it on the head?

Thread: Planning laws, clarification sought
11/02/2017 07:25:20
Posted by Rich2 on 11/02/2017 07:04:35:
Posted by ted hughes on 10/02/2017 19:24:24:
Posted by Tomtom39 on 10/02/2017 17:29:33:

I don't have an issue with new houses being built . My kids will need to buy affordable housing when the time comes. However . Its the huge volume of housing that's gone up in the last few years without accompanying changes in the general infrastructure. We have had close on twelve hundred houses built within a 15 mile radius of where I live with another 600 planned in the next 12/24 months. The numbers in the classrooms at our local comprehensive schools have gone up between 25-30% with govt funding being reduced . Our hospital A & E is being downgraded and being moved to a "super" hospital an hour away! It takes me two plus weeks to get a non urgent appointment at my local surgery (if I'm lucky) . So yes I am a NIMBY and very much against the huge tracts of greenland being taken up and lost .

We have had to campaign vigorously to stop new builds in our village in Dorset, but simply because it has outstanding beauty due to thatched roofs and Purbeck stone buildings.

New builds would look completely out of place here.

That's a bit rich after your previous comment???

Yeah, well who wants housing estates in SSSIs ,Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty or National Parks?

Not me.But there must be other sites.

11/02/2017 06:42:52

There seems a general consensus that houses are being built by "greedy","unscrupulous""profit-hungry" etc developers.

In fact, since we have had a short-fall of about 250k houses being built per year over the last decade, these un-scrupulous developers have been conspicuous by their absence!

The government is desperate to encourage, incentivise, someone to start developing!

So maybe they should be offered something more, otherwise we will have three generations living in each family house!

10/02/2017 20:19:01

I know, the UK had some beautiful coal mines and slag heaps- still has them, in some parts.

10/02/2017 19:24:24
Posted by Tomtom39 on 10/02/2017 17:29:33:

I don't have an issue with new houses being built . My kids will need to buy affordable housing when the time comes. However . Its the huge volume of housing that's gone up in the last few years without accompanying changes in the general infrastructure. We have had close on twelve hundred houses built within a 15 mile radius of where I live with another 600 planned in the next 12/24 months. The numbers in the classrooms at our local comprehensive schools have gone up between 25-30% with govt funding being reduced . Our hospital A & E is being downgraded and being moved to a "super" hospital an hour away! It takes me two plus weeks to get a non urgent appointment at my local surgery (if I'm lucky) . So yes I am a NIMBY and very much against the huge tracts of greenland being taken up and lost .

We have had to campaign vigorously to stop new builds in our village in Dorset, but simply because it has outstanding beauty due to thatched roofs and Purbeck stone buildings.

New builds would look completely out of place here.

Thread: Mode 1 or Mode 2
10/02/2017 17:41:05

double posted in error

Edited By ted hughes on 10/02/2017 17:41:29

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us