By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Kim Taylor

Here is a list of all the postings Kim Taylor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 2 or 3 questions please, need some wise advice
17/02/2020 11:37:18

With regards to your motor, I'd consider two aspects:

1. You may need weight up front to help balance the model, so getting a smaller one may not be the best thing.

2. The motor which you have may seem massively over specified, but remember, it will only turn at a fixed(ish) speed. The power being absorbed (and thrust created) is entirely a function of the prop you fit, so just find a prop that will give you your required 350w at whatever the speed is at which the motor will turn. This is calculated by multiplying the kV number of the motor by the voltage of the battery that you're using.

Sorry if I've duplicated anything mentioned above by others but it seems to me a bigish motor hung out at the front may be a good thing in this instance.

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 17/02/2020 11:37:44

Thread: Spektrum SAFE or Low rates
10/02/2020 12:00:32
Posted by David Davis on 10/02/2020 08:53:26:

Would SAFE work in all conditions? If you were flying a model with a 2 metre wingspan, inverted at high speed 500cms above the ground and you hit SAFE, would it have the sense to put in down elevator first and then climb or would it roll first and smash itself to pieces? devil

Safe has no spatial awareness, so in your example it would probably try to roll upright and therefore hit the deck.

It definitely has it's uses, but it's not an auto pilot!!cheeky

Kim

Thread: EME 120 problem
01/02/2020 15:32:13

I don't know the layout of the engine, but I deduce from your post that it has a single carb feeding through some kind of manifold to the two cylinders.

If all else such as compression is equal, I'd be looking for an air leak, possibly on the 'good' cylinder causing it to run lean, which you could be compensating for and causing the other pot to be rich.

Maybe!!

Kim

Thread: Max Thrust Riot versus Wot4
08/01/2020 14:51:03
Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 08/01/2020 14:36:26:

KIm,

Sorry to correct you.

Others have made the comparison and I am responding to it!

Your arguments are exactly the same as mine!

smiley

But by who Keith - I can't say I've ever seen that comparison made on here anyway. It just can't stand scrutiny.

I know that you feel that you've been misled in some way by advertising, or 'hype' but at the end of the day, all you're seeing is the difference between a traditional model and a foamy. Apples and Oranges

Nothing to add, but I'll end with a smiley

KIm

08/01/2020 14:29:44

Keith,

You've obviously got the bit between your teeth on this one, and that is fine.

But you're trying to compare a 3lb ish 330w foamy with a 5lb ish 750w wooden ARTF and not surprisingly, in your opinion, it's coming up short.

If we assume that the wing area is roughly the same on each (cba to look, but it can't be far out) then the wing loading alone will tell you the story. The Riot will fly slower 'cos gravity isn't assisting it as much.

A fairer comparison would be with the WOT4 Foam E, but I can't shed any light on that, as I haven't flown one of those, whereas I have flown both the Riot and WOT4 woody and as you have found out, they're completely different, no meaningful comparison can be made, in my view.

Btw, I think that you'd find, should you ever decide to build one, that a 'lectric WOT4 ARTF would weigh somewhere around or above 5 1/2 lbs, I know that mine, with a 3000mah 6S lipo fitted, was just over 6lb.

Kim

Thread: Max Thrust Riot - Upgrades
06/01/2020 17:56:11
Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 06/01/2020 11:01:26:
*Posted by Jeffrey Cottrell 2 on 06/01/2020 08:52:51:

Hi Keith

Unless I'm mistaken, Kim is using these, which show as 22mm deep. Should fit the battery bay with room to spare.

Jeff

Yes, the one in the photograph!

And I’m guessing that even that 3S Turnigy (22mm deep) barely clears the hatch cover once the strap is on and provided that it doesn’t puff up!

Oh, and just putting any larger battery in will also increase weight, further reducing the watts per pound figure!

Edited By Keith Miles 2 on 06/01/2020 11:05:55

Edited By Keith Miles 2 on 06/01/2020 11:10:28

Edited By Keith Miles 2 on 06/01/2020 11:16:44

No, I've got a couple of slightly puffed ones as well, and there's no problem closing the hatch.

Don't forget you can lose the weight of the er....... weight (previously buried in the nose).

Iirc, that is about 80 - 100g, so overall, you probably lose a little weight, so watts/lb goes up a bit.

Kim

05/01/2020 23:08:00
Posted by Neil67 on 05/01/2020 20:03:38:

Slightly off topic, but several people have discussed taking the steel weight out of the riot and state that this moves the c of g backwards, ok, however....

With a 3s battery my riot balances almost neutral, marginally nose down, with the 3s fully forward based on the balance point given in the instructions. Am I correct in assuming that a 4s is required, again fully forward to compensate for the removal of the weight, or am I completly missing the point.

I inadvertently flew it one day with the 3s fully back, senior moment, rushing, and it was very tail heavy and almost impossible to fly without loads of extra down trim. With a 4s, Century did advise taking out the weight and fitting a different prop but will the extra weight of 4s compensate, from the thread it appears it does?

My V1 flys well reasonably well although as others have said not exactly riot status. Fine for a lazy summers day with no surprises. A club mate has the Rukus which appears very similar, Riot with low wing but has a lot of fun with it compared to his Riot.

Hi Neil67

I guess it all depends on whether you've got it balanced at the forward or rearward end of the 75 - 90mm range in the manual before you change anything.

For whatever it's worth, I fly my Riot (currently on my 2nd, a V2) with a 3200 3S, which basically fills the battery tray, and with the weight removed. Mine balances just aft of the rearmost (90mm) recommended by Century for "initial flights". From memory, it's at about 93mm. Now I don't claim to be an 'ace' flyer, or have the reflexes of a cat, but for me, it's entirely stable and controllable at that.

dsc_0379.jpg

As you can see, no room to really move the battery, although on my first Riot I re-routed the esc wiring and had the battery pushed fully aft in the tray, so maybe 10mm further back. By the time I 'retired' that one, it had gained so much weight through being repaired that tbh I have no idea where the c of g actually was!!

By the way, in case anybody's wondering, the wiring and connector is tucked up in the void between the battery tray and the plywood subframe.

I'll be back later in the week with my amp and rpm readings, as promised in an earlier posting.

Kim

04/01/2020 10:22:33
Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 03/01/2020 20:14:57:

Just noticed that I seemed to have called Kim by the wrong name!

Please accept my sincere apologies.

I have a mate called Kev but he’s a dipstick which makes things even worse!

smiley

Hi Keith

No offence taken, I can assure you.

With a name like mine, I get used to being called ANYTHING but Kim.

A bit like 'a boy named Sue!!

I'm following all of this with interest, because although as pointed out above performance is subjective, my Riot can't be described as anything like blancmange or jelly. Having said that, these recent cold mornings have noticeably reduced the performance, but it'll still pull up into the vertical and go on up and up and up and.......... you get the idea.

I've taken to warming the batteries in my trouser pocket for a while before fitting them, which improved things.

Kim

eta

Meant to say, when I get a few minutes spare I'll get some current and rpm figures from mine, to see how they compare. Won't be until the middle of the week though.

Edited By Kim Taylor on 04/01/2020 10:32:31

03/01/2020 16:43:15

Keith,

Whilst I have no doubt that you are experiencing what you describe, I don't think it's typical of the Riot.

I use a 3200 3S setup, everything else standard but with an APC-E 12x6, The model is good in the vertical, as long as you don't 'dawdle' (i.e. it won't accelerate from a near stop vertically). It will float around very happily, albeit slowly, on a whiff of throttle and will cruise around at half throttle quite happily. It will loop and bunt from level flight (once you've upped the control throws).

Having flown both, it is my opinion that the model isn't as slippery as a WOT 4, so it'll never go as fast unless you up the power train substantially

I haven't got any rpm readings, but I do remember seeing 33A on my meter on the APC prop, and a little more on the original prop. It seems to me (from a distance) that if you're only seeing 37A on a 4S battery and 12x6 prop, then maybe there's something wrong with the esc (I'm assuming that you've set the end points). Even using your 30A 3S figure, my feeling is that you'd see more than 37A on a 4S (i.e. a 33% potential voltage and therefore speed increase).

It just seems to me that you haven't got to the root cause of your issues yet and are in danger of just papering over the cracks by using a 4S.

As I said, no doubt that you've been experiencing issues and have gone to a lot of trouble to overcome them, but my question has to remain - why???

Just my 2p worth

Kim

Thread: CAA registration take-up?
17/12/2019 18:29:21
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 17/12/2019 08:44:33:

Chris, have you not received the latest BMFA news, it's all in there, but basically

Sorry to jump in off topic, but has anyone else NOT received their copy of the BMFA News yet, or is it just me?

If just me, I'll have to email the BMFA sad

Thanks

Kim

Thread: Graupner
06/12/2019 21:23:14
Posted by Sam Longley on 06/12/2019 20:57:26:

Annoying if, like a friend of mine, you have invested in a Graupner transmitter & will want some receivers in the future.. Need to stock up now.

I think that the South Korean parent co. will continue to manufacture and distribute the radio sets, as that was their 'part' of the business. It's only the German office / factory that has been shut down.

Kim

Thread: Max Thrust Riot - Upgrades
28/11/2019 17:33:17
Posted by Richard Mellor on 28/11/2019 15:34:23:

How about the ESC installation. Is it just left to lie in the front space

As I said above, I tied mine to the wooden structure under the battery.

I'm sure it won't come to any harm if left loose, it's just the engineer in me that doesn't like it!disgust

Kim

eta

Just thought - when I got my first Riot (actually a 'Devil' badged one as no Riots were available at the time) I put the 'Safe' rx from my old Apprentice in it and it flew beautifully, much better than the Apprentice ever did. I reckon that combination would be a perfect combination if someone was 'going it alone', as I was originally.

Just fyi.smiley

Edited By Kim Taylor on 28/11/2019 17:43:40

28/11/2019 14:47:36

Hi Richard

If they HAVE done away with the circuit board and its' associated teeny tiny plugs for the wingtip led's then it's no loss as they are a right royal pita to get hooked up - at least they are with my banana fingers!!smiley

Not 100% clear on how you're connecting the lights up now - you'll maybe need a Y lead to split the aileron channel (if you're not using two channels on the rx) then some other way of connecting the wingtip lights up. Or did I misunderstand??blush

Kim

eta

For what it's worth, I cable tied my esc to the structure underneath the battery holder, just to stop it 'rattling around' loose

Edited By Kim Taylor on 28/11/2019 14:49:40

Thread: Scam or what ?
23/11/2019 10:45:19

I think the fact that you need to ask the question points to the probability that it IS a scam.

Someone has hacked Talk Talks user details, by the look of it, unless it's a lucky coincidence on a phishing expedition by some lowlife.

Ignore

Kim

Thread: RX8R Pro Signal Swamping??
15/11/2019 23:09:32
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 15/11/2019 19:13:48:

Do the RX8Rs have the paddle aerials and the RX6Rs plain coax? That could account for the extra sensitivity of the 8R. I've never quite understood the need for the paddle-blade aerials when most flyers are flying line of sight only.

Hi Bob,

The '8 has a kind of moulded sausage at the tip of the aerial, not the paddle type that I've seen pictures of.

The '6's have standard coax cable aerials. And yes, that may be the reason for the difference.

Kim

Thread: Mick Reeves Gangster 63 Lite
15/11/2019 16:17:18
Posted by Old Geezer on 15/11/2019 16:07:39:

I'm sure original Gangster 52 & 63 kits would still sell well, and they were so much tougher than these CNC plywood airframes we're stuck with these days - one rough landing can often result in the portion of the fuselage supporting the U/C requiring a major reconstruction (a 3D jigsaw or bodge depending on your talents). Or scrapping it altogether.

I think if you speak to them nicely, you can have an original Gangster 63 from Mick Reeves Models.

Not cheap though!!

Kim

Thread: RX8R Pro Signal Swamping??
15/11/2019 16:12:30
Posted by Kim Taylor on 15/11/2019 13:10:05:
Posted by Andy Meade on 15/11/2019 11:12:33:

Pretty much the same with all of my FRSky receivers and my Horus, especially when running both aerials at the same time. Are you seeing the same on the RX6R's?

Thanks to all for the reassurance - I thought it may be normal, but needed to check.

Hi Andy - the answer to your question is no, I haven't noticed any similar issues with the RX6R's. I'll have a go at making it happen this afternoon when I'm in the workshop (or back bedroom, as my missus insists on calling it!!) and I'll report back if it happens.

Thanks again

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 15/11/2019 13:11:03

As promised, had a play with it this afternoon with the result that I could not get the RX6R's to swamp or drop out despite severe provocation - obviously the design must be different.

Kim

15/11/2019 13:10:05
Posted by Andy Meade on 15/11/2019 11:12:33:

Pretty much the same with all of my FRSky receivers and my Horus, especially when running both aerials at the same time. Are you seeing the same on the RX6R's?

Thanks to all for the reassurance - I thought it may be normal, but needed to check.

Hi Andy - the answer to your question is no, I haven't noticed any similar issues with the RX6R's. I'll have a go at making it happen this afternoon when I'm in the workshop (or back bedroom, as my missus insists on calling it!!) and I'll report back if it happens.

Thanks again

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 15/11/2019 13:11:03

15/11/2019 11:08:59

I've recently been swapping my planes over to FrSky, using an X9D+SE 2019 with mainly Rx6R's and a single RX8R Pro receivers, all bound in D16 mode.

Up to this point, all has been going well, with no unexpected issues.

Yesterday I put the RX8R Pro in to my WOT4XL which has a petrol motor, which is why I used the Pro rx. Whilst doing the setup, I noticed a number of unexpected signal losses and upon investigating I found that if I get the tx too close (say within 1 metre) of the rx aerials, the rx immediately lost signal, the red l.e.d. flashing, until I moved the tx away when the link was re-established.

I have not been able to do a proper range test due to lack of space, but will obviously do one when I next go to the flying field.

Is this a 'normal' thing to be seeing, bearing in mind that the test conditions are, of course, abnormal regarding the distance between the rx and tx? Or should I be thinking about returning the rx for testing?

I'm a bit jumpy because the reason I have changed to FrSky is that I was getting unexplained control losses on my previous system, resulting in the loss of three models, and I don't want to be repeating that, obviously.

Thanks for looking

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 15/11/2019 11:09:44

Thread: November 2019 Xmas Wrapping - errata?
21/10/2019 17:50:53

Can certainly confirm that D16 is supported.

I've got an X9D+SE2019 and due to lack of ACCESS stock, I'm using it with an RX6R on ACCST D16 protocol and have no issues (well, only of my own makingblush). Still learning the programming, but it's not as hard as I had feared, at least to do the basics.

Kim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us