By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Kim Taylor

Here is a list of all the postings Kim Taylor has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Max Riot Motor alternatives
17/07/2019 14:25:02

A 4000 might be pushing it, but I fit a 3200 3s in mine without modification. It's the one H-K sell as Eflite compatible so it's got an EC3 connector. These are a legacy from my Apprentice with which I came back in to the hobby a few years ago.

It is a squeeze (you have to poke the connector down (up?) into the void where the esc sits, but having done that it's a nice snug fit.

I set my timer at 10 minutes (lack of concentration sets in after this) but there is normally 50 - 55% left so I reckon I could go to 15 minutes if I wanted to.

Kim

Thread: Switching Brand
28/06/2019 10:03:58
Posted by Foxfan on 28/06/2019 09:19:09:

Just wondering if the apparent trouble with Spektrum is a result of there being so many of them. Our club seems to be almost completely Spektrum. I'm wondering if the percentage of trouble is much the same, just with so many of them that percentage looks like a lot of sets playing up? I hope that's the case. I have a Spektrum that I've never yet used. Mind you, it came to me new, with the trainer switch wire fractured, a fault found for me by a friend and corrected.

Martin

Don't you come on here with your logic and balanced view, you'll get shot down!!smiley

Kim

Thread: DB Sport & Scale Sopwith Pup 60" ws
15/06/2019 23:13:39

Thanks for that PV, I'll bear it in mind. yes

Kim

15/06/2019 20:28:49

I bought the Comper Swift plan from Dennis Bryant at his shop in SE London back in the early eighties, I would guess. I also bought at the same time some injection moulded cylinders, heads and pushrod tubes which Dennis had produced to take the faff of cutting multiple discs for the pots. I've still got the plastic bits somewhere, never got around to building the model (family life got in the way) and somehow lost the plan in a house move along with other plans etc. which I'd been storing in a cardboard tube.sad

One day, I'll make a fresh start and get another plan, assuming I can ever afford to retire!!

Kim

Thread: Mick Reeves Gangster 63 Lite
13/06/2019 17:23:59
Posted by Jonathan M on 13/06/2019 10:21:24:

In the meantime, speaking of U/C, hoping I won't have to make up longer legs for the Gangster's electric prop, which I assume will be 12" minimum with my power-train..? Our patch is reasonably good and regularly mown, but I'd want a minimum clearance of at least an inch or so.

My Gangster 'Lite' is powered by a .61 4 stroke, using a 12x6 prop, and I've had no issues on our strip, so I think you'd be OK at that. 13" may be pushing it a bit though.

Kim

Thread: Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA
30/05/2019 11:00:28
Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 30/05/2019 10:24:01:

What makes up "all the hassle" that's about to be thrust upon us that will make it so unpalatable to fly a model plane?

Speaking for myself, it's not the 'hassle' of paying a fee (tax) and passing some tick box test or other.

But it is the principle of being held to ransom by the hang 'em high brigade within government, fuelled by the press and organisations such as BALPA who see drones blackening the skies.

Do we need to stop the rogue element who operate irresponsibly, dangerously or with malicious intent?

Yes, absolutely.

Will the proposed register / fee / test do ANYTHING to address the above?

Absolutely not!!

It is simply the common injustice of it that I object to, and I suspect that is the position of many of us.

Kim

25/05/2019 18:24:07
Posted by Steve J on 25/05/2019 14:43:25:

I don't see any differences between the DfT and CAA and the CAA have known that SUA registration was coming for at least two and a half years.

Steve

I can't do multiple quotes, but as far as I can see, the o/p in this thread, and the letter from the DfT seem to be at odds with regard to registration through the BMFA.

Or perhaps I'm misreading something?

Kim

25/05/2019 13:07:57
Posted by Steve J on 25/05/2019 08:04:00:

Alberto Costa MP's written question has now been answered by the government.

Steve

I had exactly the same reply in response to my letter to my MP, which he 'passed up the line' to the DfT.

It seems that the DfT and CAA are seeing things differently at the moment, looking at the published responses in this thread. I do think the whole thing is being driven (policy wise) by the Government and the CAA are having to think things up 'on the hoof' at the moment.surprise

Kim

Thread: CAA registration consulation
16/05/2019 21:08:16
Posted by Jason Inskip on 16/05/2019 20:48:34:

If I still don't get a relevant response then I will raise a formal complaint.

Edited By Jason Inskip on 16/05/2019 20:49:05

Make sure you put it in writing!!wink

Kim

p.s. emails sent to CAA, Minister for Aviation and my MP - no response other than an automated receipt from the Aviation Minister. I won't be holding my breath!!

Thread: ARTF Riot chat thread
09/05/2019 23:32:52

Further to the above, with the nose weight removed and using my 3s 3200 LiPo packs, the c of g is spot on 90mm from the leading edge, i.e. at the rearmost limit of the recommended range.

Hopefully maiden this weekend

Kim

09/05/2019 11:34:25

Hi Jon,

To be honest, no I didn't. I was flying my old one at the back end of the suggested range so needed to remove the weight to get there. Didn't think there would be a difference between V1 & V2 in this respect.

If I need to put it back, I can easily stick some weight in the nose.

I'll report back later if I need to do that.blush

Kim

09/05/2019 11:34:23

Hi Jon,

To be honest, no I didn't. I was flying my old one at the back end of the suggested range so needed to remove the weight to get there. Didn't think there would be a difference between V1 & V2 in this respect.

If I need to put it back, I can easily stick some weight in the nose.

I'll report back later if I need to do that.blush

Kim

09/05/2019 11:19:56

Thread revival alert!!

Just thought it may be useful to update with my thoughts on the Riot V2, which I've just finished putting together as a replacement for my original Devil badged version.

First impressions were that the finish on the plane is much better than the original, the decals are perfectly applied and to my eye are much nicer than the Mk1. The cowling is no longer painted which seems to change the shape of the plane visually making it look a bit less blunt at the nose.

When I tried to fit the tailplane / fin, I found that it was difficult to line up the tailwheel bracket and still get the fixing screws to turn in. In fact, when I tried to just push it all together and tighten down the screws, I found I had the old problem of the fin seating detaching.

Looking at the problem, I decided to trim a couple of mm off of the back edge of the foam fin locating tab, and it all went together perfectly after that (obviously after re-glueing the fin bracket),

I removed the nose weight, as I had done on my original and put in a bit of ply for reinforcement of the foam in that area. I'm using 3s 3200 LiPo's, so need a bit of help to get the c of g back.

There are a couple of alternative servo horns in the box, with adjustable screw type connectors fitted, along with a note explaining that some airframes have been found to have control rods that are too long. I found that I needed to use these, cutting off the original 'Z' bends as directed. In my view, this is a better arrangement anyway (there was some play at the z bends on my first one) although I know some don't like the screw type connectors, whatever they're called. . When I'm confident that I've got the setup right, I'll add a blob of thick cyano as a precaution against slipping / undoing.

Just fitted my rx and set up the throws - strange but true note, I used the profile from the original and the same rx, yet the direction of travel had to be reversed on both rudder and elevator, which I thought was odd. Just need to check the c of g and we'll be ready to go (when the weather lets me,anyway).

The complete model, in my view looks a lot 'crisper' than the original, let's hope I can keep it looking like that!!wink

Kim

09/05/2019 09:59:58
Posted by ken anderson. on 09/05/2019 09:43:00:

as an aside,i read yesterday that someone(52 year old)had been arrested in Scotland for flying his "Drone" near a nuclear sub at Faslane…..silly man-I hear you think?.....or part of the times we now live in?.....(the norm)

ken anderson...ne..1...pain dept.

It's a sad fact of life that the more the regulation to cover off the 'idiots', the bigger the idiocy becomes!sad

Kim

Thread: failed e-flite SAFE receiver
06/05/2019 11:48:52

Tim,

Not trying to have an argument, and I stated twice that I didn't doubt that you had experienced a problem.

You stated that this receiver is a park flyer reduced range receiver, which it is not.....FACT.

You have obviously got a bad one, which had a reduced range. It is not designed as a reduced range receiver, which is what you inferred in your original post.

I was just trying to point out that your experience of this receiver isn't necessarily typical.

As I said, not looking for an argument so I'll leave it there.smiley

Kim

04/05/2019 18:11:56
Posted by Tim Flyer on 02/05/2019 18:11:03:

I bought an Apprentice a couple of years back for my son . We had constant problems with the “safe” receiver. It kept going out of range and forced the model to land in “ safe mode” . We ditched the receiver and swapped it with a full range standard receiver and have never looked back😊. I’m afraid I’m not a big fan of those “safe mode” receivers after that! Our “safe” receiver seemed to just have “park flyer range”. Anybody who has taught beginners knows they often end up flying too far out! It’s totally stupid in my opinion to have shorter range receivers on trainers.

Edited By Tim Flyer on 02/05/2019 18:14:32

I'm not doubting that you had a problem with your receiver, although I don't understand why it would 'force' you to land in safe mode.

I must, however, pick up on your assertion that the Apprentice receiver is a reduced range park flyer type. It simply isn't. The trouble with the internet is that if inaccurate statements aren't challenged they become fact.

Again, not doubting you had a problem, but it wasn't due to the range of the receiver. I've used couple of these receivers both in the Apprentice and once that plane was retired, transplanted into a Max Thrust Riot and then a Sig 4 Star 20 which I built using all of the gubbins from the Apprentice. All flown out to (my) limit of vision - certainly 400 - 500 metres at a guess with no problems.

Kim

Thread: Loaded Dice 40S - spray painting
04/05/2019 17:59:40

I don't know if weight is an issue here, but be careful if going for the drippy wet look with 2k clearcoat - it gets heavy really quickly!!

Kim

27/04/2019 23:50:36

I've filled in the form and made appropriate comments as outlined by many above.

But the point is, this isn't a consultation in anything but name. It's a done deal, like it or lump it.frown

Our best chance is that the BMFA (who, it appears, seem to have been kept out of the loop) can somehow drag the CAA back to the EASA position that membership of a national body is sufficient to satisfy their requirements.

I won't be holding my breath!!!sarcastic

My thinking is that our efficient and reliable Minister for Transport (or whatever title he answers to) has thumped the table and demanded action to justify his existence. Why else would this not have been discussed with the BMFA during their recent negotiations regarding the height limits and no fly zones.

Kim

Thread: Eflite 60amp esc
19/04/2019 18:26:26

Cut & paste from an earlier thread may be of use..........

I've got a Max Thrust Riot (Devil) which I wanted to fit my old Apprentice receiver to, but the esc was having none of it.angry

In essence, I believe that the reason some esc's won't arm with the apprentice receiver is that the esc looks for a throttle low signal to arm it (presumably within a certain, but unknown to me, time frame). However the Apprentice receiver doesn't give this arming signal until the control surfaces have done their 'dance' which takes 10 seconds or more from switch on.

Having done a bit of research, I tried a couple of techniques which others have found to work. Before doing any of the following, REMOVE THE PROP!!!

1. Set up the throttle range using another receiver first, then connect the Apprentice receiver - this had absolutely no effect on my setup, although some have had success.

2. Remove the +ve lead from the lead connecting the esc and the Apprentice receiver throttle port. Arrange a separate power supply via the bind port of the receiver. Switch on your tansmitter and power the receiver up BEFORE connecting the lipo to the esc. Set throttle high, then plug in the lipo. You will get the tones from the esc, then lower the throttle, at which point it will arm and you will have full control of the throttle. Disconnect the lipo, then switch off the receiver, followed by the transmitter. Replace the +ve wire previously removed and plug into the throttle port. Switch the tranny back on, connect the lipo then switch on the receiver. With luck, you've got full control still and your problem is solved. This technique is often successful, apparently. In my own case, however unplugging the lipo caused the esc to 'forget' the settings and the problem was still evident.

3. Provide a separate switched supply to the receiver, Permanently remove the +ve wire from the esc to the receiver and connect everything up. The start up sequence MUST be tranny on, receiver switch on (wait for dance to finish) THEN connect the lipo. Eureka!!! It works.

So a bit of a faff and probably not ideal but with throttle cut set it's safe enough I think even if (as in my case) the lipo has to be loaded from beneath the nose. An arming plug would give a second level of safety, which I may well do in due course.

As I said, much more info here (be warned, there's a lot of it!!).

**LINK**

Kim

19/04/2019 17:12:40

The apprentice receiver won't 'talk' to all esc's, not even all Eflite ones.

The normal getaround is to put a switch in the signal wire, to let the receiver do it's dance before enabling the esc, although in my experience, this doesn't always work.

I got over it in one application by using a separate rx battery and cutting the red wire from the esc to the rx.

There's a lot more info on RCGroups in the thread 'Eflite SAFE Rx in another plane' in the electric plane talk forum.

hth

Kim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Motion RC
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us