By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MaL

Here is a list of all the postings MaL has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: HK's "Sale now on".....or not
07/03/2018 10:21:53

I see HK are advertising a sale. They sent me an email notification which caught my eye..

hk_2.jpg

I thought..why not, at that price it would be rude not to buy another (I already have one) as it could be useful in all sorts of projects.....BUT ....upon adding to my basket it becomes...

hk_1.jpg

Ho-hum......

Thread: Hobbyking
01/03/2018 12:22:42

.....€216.69 from the global warehouse, also apparently FREE shipping from the UK to France.......

hk.jpg

Thread: Keep Those Old Cordless Tools Going
22/02/2018 13:48:52

I have replaced all my old ni-mh drill batteries with a 1300mAh li-po so it fits inside the existing battery case. I recharge using a cheap HK balance charger so only the balance port socket needs to be accessible. (the main power socket is connected to the case terminals. The only problem is you must stop and charge the battery AS SOON AS you detect the drill or whatever is slowing down, if you carry on for another 5 seconds I find one cell is usually too low for the charger to allow a charge and I end up having to 'flash' the cell to bring it up to a voltage that the charger will accept. OK... I know it is no way to treat a li-po, it is either that or throw it away.

Thread: Tesla launch car!
13/02/2018 16:45:12

Be afraid.....be very afraid!

elon.jpg

Thread: February 2018 RCM&E
13/02/2018 15:55:55
Posted by Bryan Anderson 1 on 17/01/2018 08:44:48:
Posted by Mike Freeman on 17/01/2018 06:37:33:
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 17/01/2018 00:36:54:

How about terminals

But the terminals are always labelled + & -, the cathode and anode..... I mean electrodes attached will have either a +ve or -ve charge depending on whether the cell is being charged or discharged.

An anode is always positive, a cathode negative regardless of whether it is being charged or discharged. Check with a voltmeter.

On charge, the current flow is reversed because the electromotive force ( open circuit voltage) of the charger is greater than that of the battery. On discharge, the emf of the battery drives the current through the load. The currents are reversible but the voltage is not.

Using incorrect terminology is potentially dangerous if it misleads people as to polarity.

potentially,,,,ha ha ha!

Just seen another post that explains what i was going to say in a much better way so....rest of post deleted.

/0.02p

Edited By MaL on 13/02/2018 15:59:33

Thread: Trust your R/C set?
12/02/2018 10:56:53

Home made version of the Velocopter.... nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf3SRQwHm5o

Edited By MaL on 12/02/2018 11:04:16

Thread: WOT4 Becomes Racing Car
09/02/2018 10:38:37

Is the elevator linkage a bowden cable? Have you checked for elevator 'blow back'?

Thread: packaging
05/02/2018 16:55:03

Big parcels are generally harder to lose... you should be thankful yours were oversizeyes.

Thread: Lidl Sander
05/02/2018 16:50:00
Posted by Handyman on 05/02/2018 13:14:19:

Hi Mal, it makes a change for some other country to be ripping people off. A friend of mine went out to the States some years ago. He is in to shooting sports etc,etc. He took with him a British catalogue produced by the importers of this shooting gear and compared it to the American edition of the same catalogue. Guess what??? The British catalogue was exactly the same, with the same item numbers, but they had changed the Dollar sign for the Sterling sign. Needless to say, he bought his goods from the Yanksm, and used them out there so no import tax to pay on used items.

We are still "Rip off Britain".

Pretty sure VAT would still have been due had the UK customs been aware that the item had been bought in the US....used or not....your friend is guilty of smuggling!surprise

05/02/2018 13:05:57

Here is something for those of you still living in the UK...LIDL France has the sander on sale for €39.99.. thats about £5 more expensive than the price in the UK....Rip off Britain huhwink

p2050128.jpg

Thread: Fusion 360 for modellers
25/01/2018 10:12:27

Posted by Andy Meade on 25/01/2018 08:45:38:

Also remember that these are extremely simplistic machines - the only advances I've seen in recent times is in the extruder heads, and these are bolt on items so upgrades take all of 10 minutes. As long as the stepper motors were high enough resolution to start off with, you should be good for a fair few years yes

And in the electronics... the current trend is to employ 32bit processors in better designed main boards to increase the machine capabilities and manage heat dissipation, also better, newer, stepper drives to increase reliability, resolution and reduce the noise from the motors... it is debatable if any of this is really needed for the average end user, but technology moves on (even if you don't need it)

I'm not sure waiting for the next revolution in technology is a wise thing these days, you will spend your life forever waiting. Go for it - it's very fulfilling designing and then printing something that serves a purpose.

I guess most people who play with a 3d printer would agree that you can get through plenty of 'marks' before arriving at the final version so perhaps getting something printed at a professional printers could be quite expensive in the long run.

Thread: Why do I now suddenly see my Facebook profile when visiting retail sites?!
02/01/2018 10:06:59

If you read the T&C's on Facebook you will find -

About Advertisements and Other Commercial Content Served or Enhanced by Facebook

Our goal is to deliver advertising and other commercial or sponsored content that is valuable to our users and advertisers. In order to help us do that, you agree to the following:

1. You give us permission to use your name, profile picture, content, and information in connection with commercial, sponsored, or related content (such as a brand you like) served or enhanced by us. This means, for example, that you permit a business or other entity to pay us to display your name and/or profile picture with your content or information, without any compensation to you. If you have selected a specific audience for your content or information, we will respect your choice when we use it.
  2. We do not give your content or information to advertisers without your consent.
  3. You understand that we may not always identify paid services and communications as such

So item 1 allows Facebook to do whatever they like with the information you provide them with and item no.2 is superfluous as you gave them permission in item no.1.

I don't like Facebook so I so don't use it ..but I don't have any friends eithersmiley

Just noticed the advice in the post above... it is against the rules to give false information...although the only punishment appears to be disbarment..  (no great loss there then)

Edited By MaL on 02/01/2018 10:09:51

Thread: Covering iron
01/01/2018 14:27:36

I made a tip to go on my temperature controlled iron. Set to 100 degrees (it's lowest setting) it works fine sticking down film on seams and in hard to get to corners. small bit of steel silver soldered to a filed down normal soldering iron bit.

needs a bit of a cleanblush

p1010091.jpgp1010090.jpg

Thread: OpenTx - Questions and Problems
18/12/2017 13:37:25

ERIC - your problem resolved on your other thread but to save others having to go look for it  -

If your Usbasp shows up under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' in Windows device manager you have the wrong driver installed, it should show up in libusb-win32 devices. The driver linked in Daithis post works for me, however, this driver wont work in the Arduino enviroment.

Zadig 2.3 lists 4 different possible drivers for USBasp, Arduino requires the WinUSB9v6.1.76000.16385) driver to work and USBasp shows up under 'universal serial bus devices' tab in device manager whereas Companion requires the libusb-win32(v1.2.6.0) driver, which shows up under 'libusb-win32 devices' tab in device manager.

At least this is the case for me. Win7 64bit. Different OS's may get a different mileage!

Edited By MaL on 18/12/2017 13:38:47

Thread: usbasp not found
18/12/2017 13:06:21

If your Usbasp shows up under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' in Windows device manager you have the wrong driver installed, it should show up in libusb-win32 devices. The driver linked in Daithis post works for me, however, this driver wont work in the Arduino enviroment.

Zadig 2.3 lists 4 different possible drivers for USBasp, Arduino requires the WinUSB9v6.1.76000.16385) driver to work and USBasp shows up under 'universal serial bus devices' tab in device manager whereas Companion requires the libusb-win32(v1.2.6.0) driver, which shows up under 'libusb-win32 devices' tab in device manager.

At least this is the case for me. Win7 64bit. Different OS's may get a different mileage!

Thread: BMFA Classifieds Scammer Alert
13/12/2017 11:46:34
Posted by John F on 13/12/2017 10:12:36:
Posted by Mike T on 12/12/2017 16:14:20

It's not been unknown (but recorded instances are vanishingly rare...) wink

I'm not asserting anything; just quoting the change to the banking regs implemented by the OFT in November 2007.

Nigel R is right in that the 6 day timescale does not apply to foreign currency cheques, so think twice before deciding to help that nice Nigerian prince get his hands on the family simoleons...

If the cheque/draft is drawn on a UK bank and paid into a UK bank a/c, then there should be no problem.

Sorry but that is not correct.

Cheque scams from any bank, any nationality including the UK, is still going on. It is the most common kind of fraud.

Don't be lured into come kind of false sense of security that if it is a UK cheque it is OK. It is not.

**LINK**

**LINK**

John F - If you read the text from the link you provided you will find

You are protected and can keep the funds from the cheque provided you are not a knowing party to fraud or have been negligent in some way and have kept to the terms and conditions of your account.

Thread: Wish to use 12v dc charger for lipos and Nimh at home on mains supply
10/12/2017 11:08:42

Be aware there are several different server power supplies that are available for conversion. almost all will be admirably suitable for conversion to charger power supplies but most are converted slightly differently. As this has already been covered I thought it would be useful to link the info here

**LINK**

The server power supplies do not suffer from the issues that PC power supplies have a tendancy to suffer from with regards to unstable voltages with load.

Edited By MaL on 10/12/2017 11:10:14

Thread: Anet A8
04/12/2017 13:59:30

You are right..... there is ONE roll of PLA 1.75 available from the EU warehouse.. I am in France and getting stuff from the UK warehouse is too expensive at $13...a bit on the steep side for $11 worth of goods, not so bad if you order up to the weight limit of 30kg thoughdisgust

Thanks for looking though.. I hope it is just that there was rush to take advantage of the sale offers and normal service will be resumed at some time. I suspect they are phasing out the esun stuff in favour of their own brand..not that there is anything wrong with their brand.. i have used it for ages....

03/12/2017 19:40:55

Had a look for some more pla today to replace the stuff I've been using..... only......there's none to be had from the EU warehouse (at least i couldn't find any).. plenty available from China but a 500g reel of pla weighs over 1500 grams when packaged apparently - that pushes it into the £19.56 postage bracket disgust......

Found a 1kg reel on ebay.fr for €13.36 delivered express from a french shop!!! (now theres a turn up for the books!!)

Thread: Vintage Digifleet.
27/11/2017 22:59:26

Most of the experts of 2.4Ghz upgrades to vintage gear are over on

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us