By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Robertson 3

Here is a list of all the postings John Robertson 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cordless - Dremel or Aldi special?
19/05/2019 23:35:07

I have both a Dremel corded and one of the Aldi cordless machines. I'm happy to use the cordless for most work, simply because it is convenient. It wheezes a bit if overloaded (that is, it stops!), but I haven't found that to be a problem. I simply unload the motor or go over to the Dremel corded machine.

Thread: STOL Mk2
13/04/2019 01:00:37

Sarik Hobbies, £18.50!

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/stol-mkii-plan/

I have a plan purchased off Ebay, and there MAY be a ready-built fuselage in David Davis' garage to be picked up in France later this year.

Off to research Green Cards and International Driving Permits next.

Thread: DX6 Transmitter
13/04/2019 00:27:24

Unless you want to tie yourself in knots, I wouldn't bother researching the "curve". It bothered me at first, too, then I realised that it seems to be a representation of the softening or otherwise of the response around centre when exponential is dialled in. Zero expo gives a straight line at 45 degrees, increasing expo takes this graphical representation into a wave form. From memory, when setting dual rates, Curve 0 on mine is at High rates, Curve 1 is at Low rates.

I have 2 x Dx6 and 1 x Dx9 Tx and just fly without concerning myself about the curves or whether I need to fiddle about and try to get more "points" on it. If I don't like the responses I simply adjust throws, rates and expo until I'm happy. I fly electric fixed-wing and shudder at the thought of helicopters . . .

Thread: "One Last Flight" (short film)
13/04/2019 00:11:18

Nice one.

I enjoyed that, having been practicing tight-landing-site approaches with my own modified 4-year-old Radian. It looks virtually pristine against yours, but I suspect that that will soon change with my penchant for fully deployed flaps and spoilers landings 'twixt sea-wall and fence!

Thread: source for Hobby Eagle stabilisers
26/03/2019 18:37:14

Ali Express, Banggood.

Thread: STOL Mk2
18/03/2019 23:14:14

David Davis - a STOL Mk2 plan appeared on Ebay. Now it's mine and on it's way! First part to build will be the wing - just in case one heads to France. All the more likely with the motorhome having sailed through another MOT this morning.

I've been working hard on "vertical" landings on flap- and flaperon-equipped models and have yet to have a seriously-damaging event, apart from undercarriage failures.

The next step will be to fashion some slatted-wing versions and see how that goes - "ye'll never ken if ye dinnae try" is my approach to these things.

Thread: 4 max motors
18/03/2019 00:31:23

"Statements worded as above not likely to endear oneself to the forumites - just saying!" - I agree. I have been happy with 4max's services.

Edited By John Robertson 3 on 18/03/2019 00:31:50

Thread: Typhoon Documentary
04/03/2019 21:24:07

Another Thumbs Up for Alan. My late neighbour was a Radio Technician, initially with Hurricanes and latterly with the Typhoons, and recalled seeing one of the early 'planes lose its tail overhead, He was flown in to Normandy very early on and had some hairy stories to tell about his adventures! He died a few years ago having reached 101. I will enjoy watching this documentary.

Thread: Death of a Fun-Fly.
25/02/2019 20:08:47

David Davis - As regards "... Nice model thought the Fun-Fly was, I've too many incomplete models and unstarted kits in the workshop as well as a couple which need small repairs so I'm going to concentrate on those before entertaining the idea of building another Fun-Fly …", hopefully you won't be working on the STOL Mk2. It's a purely selfish thought on my part as I still cherish the thought of another French trip in the motorhome, as in:

David Davis 24/07/2018 08:03:32
3205 forum posts
535 photos

Is it the one in Ossett, West Yorkshire John?

I have a complete fuselage and tailplane for this model in my garage, I only need to build the wing but I've too many other calls upon my time!

If you can get yourself over to the middle of France you can have it for free!

and the associated reply.

Just a thought!

Thread: Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?
25/02/2019 18:06:22

rcaddict - "... is that at Ganavan beside the shinty pitch . . .". Yes, but don't tell anyone!

I managed 28 consecutive flying days from and including January 8th before I decided to not set TOO difficult a target for next time.

2 more sessions today - only a T-shirt and Polo-shirt required in the morning as it was so balmy.

Thread: YAD (Yet Another Drone) and its idiot
23/02/2019 20:52:15

Yes - I too have been wondering at some of the strange comments and can't see WHY they have been posted.

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 24/02/2019 11:09:45

Thread: Doubler mistake
07/02/2019 21:47:06

Me? No fuselage problems. Just a spoiler popping UP on the left wing, correctly. The right wing? Spoiler popped down, as carefully and accurately built by me. How did THAT happen? How . . .

Thread: Whipet anyone ?
29/01/2019 19:53:46

These:

https://www.banggood.com/180mAh-3_7V-1S-50C-Lipo-Battery-For-E-flite-Blade-Nano-CPX-Inductrix-Tiny-Whoop-RC-Quadcopter-p-1105309.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

or larger capacity:

https://www.banggood.com/Charsoon-3_8V-250mah-30C-60C-1S-HV-4_35V-Lipo-Battery-PH2_0-Plug-p-1141243.html?cur_warehouse=CN

I've used both in my UMX Radian, very successfully. Not from UK, of course, but I doubt if they were made in the UK and the postage won't break the bank!

23/01/2019 20:49:36

west - to mull.jpgPiers Bowlan : "Beautiful location John, where is it? Looks good for floatplane flying in those calm conditions too. I recognise the Fleet tranny but what is the model?".

Oban, Argyll. Fleet XP/FM with FrSky Hack Module in a VERY beat up FMS SuprEZ Trainer. The u/c has been removed for rough-ground landings on our heather-clad slopes. The 'plane has had many indignities heaped upon it, including a 2-day spell lost at sea, during which the LiPo was seen pouring out a most impressive smoke-screen. The loss was caused by a complete loss of DSM2 communication with the plane (DSMX is useless here, DSM2 is much better, but I have gone over to FrSky and have had zero problems). The FMS flies well and after all her adventures I simply cannot find the backbone to scrap her!

There are 2 pictures - one of the FMS heading off into the sunset, the other of the view from the site on a clearer day. Today's flying was consecutive Day 16.

In response to your "floatplane" observation, have a look at

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=fleetairarmwebri;id=53;url=http%3A%2F%2Frafoban%2Eco%2Euk%2F

What is in the picture below is the location of the old Seaplane Maintenance Facility - there are still two old rollers embedded in the slipway, over which the winch cables would run when hauling out the aircraft.

fms sunset.jpg

Edited By John Robertson 3 on 23/01/2019 20:50:06

23/01/2019 01:06:44

Consecutive Day 15, with Old Faithful and her 1993 partner.

Old Faithful

Thread: In your late 60s or early 70s?
23/01/2019 00:20:37

It does, and I have signed the petition.

22/01/2019 01:42:17

West of Scotland - 14th consecutive flying day yesterday (Monday). Can't complain - thanks to Aldi for their cold-weather stuff, particularly the salopettes, current on "special".

Edited By John Robertson 3 on 22/01/2019 01:43:41

Thread: MARGARET
22/01/2019 01:37:00

thumbs up

Thread: Camping for Motorhome
22/01/2019 01:29:35

It does indeed.  And I would be interested in the replies, being both a motorhome owner and having an interest in the PSSA's activities.

Edited By John Robertson 3 on 22/01/2019 01:30:27

Edited By John Robertson 3 on 22/01/2019 01:31:52

Thread: Contacting retailers
15/01/2019 00:07:19

Al's Hobbies? I've had excellent service from them. It seems a bit harsh to get stuck in so early. I'm with Jon and Ron on this one. Go on - give them a ring and a fair crack of the whip.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us