By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Elen

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Elen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mark's Ballerina MK1
29/10/2017 21:56:11

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the comments. I will get signed up Chris 😁

Managed an hour tonight, I'm wanting to get everything together now, so that I can test balance and decide exact placement of the battery, the photo below is my preferred placement, but it will fit below the throttle pushrod in the bottom of the tank bay. I really don't want it there, but if it balances tail heavy now, it's probably where it's going to end up.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Thread: Who's going to LMA Gaydon on Sunday?
29/10/2017 18:42:57

Here are my photos Cymaz👍

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tony Nijhuis' talk about the harrier was fascinating. Proper dedication.

Cheers

Mark

29/10/2017 00:00:26

No takers? I'm looking forward to it and thanks to the clocks going back tonight, an extra hour in bed will be welcome😂

Now I just need to delete a load of photos from my phone to make room for them all tomorrow.

Cheers

Mark

28/10/2017 22:12:59

Hi Chris,

Don't twist my arm too much buddy, it wouldn't take a lot for me to sign up😂 In fact, I'll do you a deal.... You promise to post up your Baron/Vimicote log to here, and I'll sign up and build the Fury.....(Geez, what have I let myself in for now) 😂

Regards

Mark

Thread: After run oil
28/10/2017 21:29:15

I use Marvel Mystery Air Tool oil, been using it for a couple of years with no issue

Cheers

Mark

28/10/2017 19:39:00

Hi Peter,

It's as much a curse as it is a blessing. Trouble is it takes forever to do anything and then it's never good enough. 😁

Today ive got all of the plumbing finished in the bathroom and had a few minutes sanding the fillets at the back of the Fuz. I'm pretty happy with these

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Thread: Who's going to LMA Gaydon on Sunday?
27/10/2017 23:09:00

Ive managed to get my pass signed by SWMBO so I'm going to take a trip to Gaydon on Sunday. Looking forward to it and hopefully I can pick up some Cyparis if Stuart from Solutions is there. Anybody else going?

Cheers

Mark

Thread: Chris's ChtiCat Racer
27/10/2017 22:52:06

Hi Chris,

I'm watching this with great interest. Not got much to input as foam/Depron is all new to me. Looking forward to seeing the Baron/Vimicote come to life too.👍

All the best

Mark

27/10/2017 22:45:49

Hi Andy, Chris,

Many thanks for your kind comments. I was trying hard to get those right as my plan is that they are going to be on show with the transparent blue covering them. Still not 100% on the final scheme yet, but I've pretty much decided that the stringers will be visible under the covering.

I've toyed with the idea of signing up to that build Chris, but I'm not really a biplane fan, and I've got the hawk lined up next, if it takes me as long as the Ballerina, I'll still be mithering over it in 2020! 😂

Regards

Mark

27/10/2017 20:22:57

Not great, but they will have to do.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I really should have taken more time and spaced the stringers out evenly. I knew this would come back and bite me. Never mind.... Next time😂

Cheers

Mark

27/10/2017 16:55:50

Another job that I've been putting off and pondering how to approach was rounding the fillets between the stringers on the top of the fuselage. I finally bit the bullet and made a start. That's one down and a few more to go. Sanded that down with a 6mm dia Permagrit fine file, it should fit all of the front fillets, but it ain't gonna fit the back ones.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The Permagrit needle files I have are much coarser than that, I may end up wrapping some fine sandpaper around one for the back ones.

Cheers

Mark

Edited By Mark Elen on 27/10/2017 16:56:31

26/10/2017 15:34:57

Hi Peter,

The tank bay is as per plan with 4 or 5 thin coats of brushed White Solarlac. It looks better in the photo than it does close up.

Cheers

Mark

26/10/2017 02:17:40

A little more done tonight, this is always the bit I like the least, plumbing and setting up linkages. Put one last tank of fuel through the engine this afternoon, I'm happy it is run in enough to go in. Finished off the night with a bit of painting. I've still got some sanding work to do on the bottom of the cowl, but until I decide where the battery is going and glue in the bottom of the tank bay, the extra 'meat' is taking the dings as its moved around.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Thread: Dremel tools
22/10/2017 12:19:36

Here's mine that I was given as a Christmas present about 5 years ago

image.jpeg

One of the first things I bought was the chuck to replace the collets. I've since added the work stand. It has been used for loads of non modelling tasks as well.

I use the speed click cutting discs. They are not cheap, but they last pretty well and I've not had one shatter yet.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Thread: Mark's TN Hawk Build
16/10/2017 13:56:40

Hi Gary,

That was the 1250kv 8S - I'm pretty sure the same fan as Tony used on his. It seems like it's only available from the HK Global warehouse. I ordered mine from HK before I found out that 4-max are doing a fan and ESC package.

HK link here: **LINK**

4-max link here: **LINK**

Regards

Mark

16/10/2017 10:03:04

Thanks for the pointers guys👍 I will take those spacers out.

Today I have charged up the lipos, and set the power train up on the bench. At full chat, it is pulling 114.71 Amps giving 3436.7 Watts. That doesn't look too far off does it?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The biggest question is how closely calibrated is the watt meter?

I'm pretty happy that this will be adequate based on the fact I was having to hold onto the workmate to stop it moving😂

Cheers

Mark

15/10/2017 20:36:21

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your comments. Wow, that looks impressive!

Cheers

Mark

15/10/2017 19:52:01

I made these up tonight:

image.jpeg

And fitted them

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That looks better, there is still some squash room there and the fan is held tight. I'm going to charge the lipos up in the morning and give this fan a test.

Cheers

Mark

15/10/2017 18:59:20

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the info, I've got no problems if you want to do that. It will be a little while before I start the build proper, when I start, it will be my usual 'photo heavy' build blogs. Feel free to post up on here if you want to.

If the mods want to change the title to something like ' TN Hawk Builders', I'm cool with that too.

Regards

Mark

15/10/2017 15:00:11

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for the heads up. Looks like there is quite a bit of movement there. Did you trim the vac forms down and then fit the balsa support, or fit the support first? I've got to say, I'm not looking forward to the plastic bits of the build.

Regards

Mark

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us