By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Elen

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Elen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Johns Skywriter....will it be spelt correctly ?
26/01/2017 10:40:00

Hi John,

Many thanks for your generous comments over on my Ballerina build blog. I'm watching this with lots of interest. Very nice wing building going on here. yes

Regards

Mark

Thread: Mark's Ballerina MK1
25/01/2017 21:40:36

A little more done tonight:

image.jpeg

Not had much time this last couple of weeks due to work. Progress is being made, but it's slow going.

Cheers

Mark

21/01/2017 19:07:55

Hi Chris,

Don't get me started on tools.... I love em. I always work on the basis that 'you can't do the job without the correct tools' ........

This weeks tool purchase was a servo connector crimp tool to shorten the aileron servo leads so that they fit in the servo boxes without coils of cable and I can still take them out if needed.

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

21/01/2017 17:36:02

Hi all,

Seems like lots of time doing things, but not much progress, today I've been flying and got started on the U/C

image.jpeg

Engine has been on a he stand this week and is now we'll run in

Just nailing those last few jobs now before covering.

Cheers

Mark

14/01/2017 14:13:41

One servo box done:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

13/01/2017 18:36:59

Hi Chris,

No problem, I went a little 'off topic' this afternoon too.😁

Cheers

Mark

13/01/2017 13:58:45

Hi Gents,

Many thanks for your helpful info. I'm looking forward to getting started on this one although it won't be for a while, Flaps, Retracts and a Twin, again all firsts.

Regards

Mark

13/01/2017 13:46:51

Hi John,

I'm just getting the plan ironed out in my head before I start the build. It will be a few months yet though.

nacelle.jpg

nacelle1.jpg

As you can see, the 6 oz shown is a nice tight fit in there, but there is a lot of unused space above it.

Cheers

Mark

13/01/2017 13:10:00

Sorry, I should have given you more detail.

My current building plan at the moment is:

Finish, cover and fly the Ballerina.

Start on the next project which is a 72" span Grumman Cougar from the 1980 Dennis Tapsfield plan. The plans for this show 2 off .25 2 strokes as power (shown as os25 Schnurle ported) I'd nearly fixed myself on a pair of SC25s, one reason being the price, the other being they would fit in the nacelles with no modification to the plan.

The only downside to this is the thought of a pair of screaming 2 strokes in what is a stand off scale model. I'm now wondering if a pair of Saito 40s would a) give it the power it needs and b) sound much better.

My concerns are if it is advisable to power a twin using 4 strokes and also the changes necessary to the nacelle to accommodate the longer engine/engine mount (it would need the firewall moving back in each nacelle about 1/2" which would then make the fuel tank bay too short to allow a standard tank to fit.)

One option if the 4 stroke is chosen, is to move the firewall back and construct a custom tank to fit the bay.

As I said earlier in this post, I'd pretty much decided on the SCs but now after running the Saito a few times this morning and it starting so easily and just wanting to run, its got me thinking again.

Any pointers?

Regards

Mark

13/01/2017 12:42:16

It certainly put a smile on my face this morning. Peter, do you have any experience with 4 stroke twins? Is it a good idea?

Regards

Mark

13/01/2017 12:30:36

Thanks for the generous comments guys.

I've got the engine on a test stand this morning and I'm just a little in awe. All set up, primed, turned the prop backwards till I felt compression, glow on, then to my amazement, the little Saito started first flick backwards.

So, first four stroke, first time trying the 'reverse flick' method and the first time I have ever started a new engine on the first flick. I'm going out now to buy a lottery ticket. wink

Cheers

Mark

12/01/2017 23:25:44

Some more done in the last few days, With the wings now both at the same stage, it was onto making up the plates for the servos. These are the mk2 versions - I was planning on using standard servos on 1/8 plates, but, having made up the plates, I've decided on mini servos on 1/16 plates. Been out today and got a pair of metal gear Hitec that are half the weight but the same torque and speed as the HS422HD that I was planning on using.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

06/01/2017 11:23:43

More tip work last night:

img_1610[1].jpg

img_1611[1].jpg

img_1612[1].jpg

Still got a way to go, but its coming along slowly.

Cheers

Mark

05/01/2017 10:31:51

Hi Tom,

The duty wouldn't have been too bad at £6.00 It was the additional Admin fee of £10 that hurt. Its worth knowing about SMC though.

Many Thanks

Mark

Thread: Chris's Bella Ballerina HD
04/01/2017 20:16:07

Hi Chris,

Looking good there fella.👍 You realise you won't need that Easy Touch now😂

Regards

Mark

Thread: Mark's Ballerina MK1
04/01/2017 20:08:50

Thanks for the comments guys. There is a niche in the market for those sanders, although, how many are going to sell is another story...... They are cheap enough if it wasn't for the import tax and fees associated. I had to pay the post office £16 on a $40 order. Outch.

One tip nearly complete and attached:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Spot the little 'adjuster' as I'd made both tips short by 1/16" 😁

One good thing about approaching these with trepidation is that it's given me time to come up with a cunning plan for getting the tip rib to the right size exactly, but that's for next time.

Cheers

Mark

04/01/2017 08:41:45

A little more done at the tips last night. I was apprehensive about starting these, but I don't know why now. Enjoying this.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

02/01/2017 17:17:32

A little more done today. Got started on the tips too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

31/12/2016 10:04:55

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments and a nice find there Colin. I bet I spent half a day searching for a UK stockist before I placed the order in the US. Made a mental note of that and it looks like they stock a few other Great Planes bits too. I bought one of each of the papers with my bar and as Peter says, the stuff is going to last for ages.

Chris, your build is an inspiration to me. I've been following right from the start.👍

Cheers

Mark

30/12/2016 22:24:55

Hi Colin,

I got it mail order from Tower Hobbies in the US. Took about 2 weeks to arrive and cost a few quid in import tax. Shame nobody in the UK seems to stock these. Does a great job and the stick on paper is great.👍

Regards

Mark

Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!