By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Elen

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Elen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mark's TN Hawk Build
08/04/2018 22:19:22

A bit more done today. Finished making the hole jig for the retract cut outs, got one side sheeted and the retract hole cut. It worked a treat. I made the blocks up to be a snug fit between the retract bearers and glued them onto the jig with superphatic. I also used a scrap block pushed onto the needle file to stop me from poking it through the top skin.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

05/04/2018 22:53:00

Hi all,

I didn't get a lot of time tonight, but I made a lot of progress with what little I had. I've been mulling over making a cradle to sheet the underside of the wings to keep it straight and true.

I made an upgrade to my workshop before Christmas of a Proxxon Scroll Saw, but it has not been out of its box until recently. The old scroll saw was a B&Q cheapie, but it was pretty poor. Couldn't keep a straight line, let alone keep it true in the horizontal plane. Wow, just wow. The photos will do the talking. None of these have had any sanding or any other intervention, just straight from the saw.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The 2 blocks of 1/2" for the tips were pinned together and put through the saw as a 1" thick block. I'm very happy with the accuracy.

Cheers

Mark

03/04/2018 21:16:58

I had a look this afternoon and Tony's came out at just over 9lbs, that's given me something to aim at. Tonight's activities, apart from sanding and cutting out sheeting, I started looking at how I'm going to cut the bottom sheeting in the right place for the servos and retracts. Unfortunately, the retracts and the plan don't match very well (I had to open up W2 a fair bit to get the wheel to fit)

image.jpeg

So I traced the retract onto some scrap 1/16 ply and gave it a bit of 'wiggle room'

image.jpeg

The plan is to cut this out with the fretsaw then use this as the jig to cut the sheeting. I don't like cutting with a scalpel on the 'good side' so I may have a rethink and make a jig so that if the scalpel slips, it is into the scrap that is coming out. I can think some more on this tomorrow while I'm working.

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

03/04/2018 13:13:10

Thanks Gents👍

Geoff, those retracts are the ones from Tony Nijhuis Designs. I don't know if I dreamt it, but I seem to think I read somewhere that they are HK units with some modifications. One thing they are is heavy. 135 g (just over 5oz)each, I'm getting a bit concerned at how heavy the wing feels with all of the bits attached.

I was hoping to bring this in at less than 4.5kg (9.9 lbs) to give a 1:1 power to weight ratio with the fan, but it is not looking likely. I can't recall what weight Tony managed with the prototype.

Cheers

Mark

02/04/2018 22:49:37

Bearers are now all done, the bottom now needs sanding and the jig tabs removing. I had to move the aileron servos nearer to the spar as in the position shown on the plan, they were fouling the underside of the top sheeting. I have formulated a plan for marking out all of the holes to cut in the bottom sheeting when it's fitted, more on this later.

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

01/04/2018 21:23:57

In keeping with my 'quick and easy' motto of this build, I've decided to use the SLEC mini servo mounts, I'm well on the way with the bearers.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

31/03/2018 10:44:39

Hi all,

Second wing panel is now done and sheeted on the top

image.jpeg

The other side sheet is on the board with the glue drying. I cut out the sheet so that it is 1/2" oversize all around except for the root edge. I have left this a few mm so that I can fettle the fit to the sheet that is already on.

I'm glad now that I extended the l.e. And t.e. Pieces down to the board, as I have been using these to pin the wing panel flat to the board whilst the sheeting is progressing. I also cut up a piece of 1/2" to 40mm to pin the tip that wasn't being sheeted to.

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Thread: Chris's Vicomte 1916
27/03/2018 20:57:47

Hi Chris,

This just gets better and better, I'm really enjoying watching your build and picking up some ideas. Those cap strips look great.

All the best

Mark

25/03/2018 21:07:40

Hi Chris,

Not so sure about easy, but this is definitely quick by my standards. I've just about got the second wing panel built now.

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

18/03/2018 17:36:07

A bit more done over the weekend, in places, I've gone a bit 'off piste'. Maybe a little OTT, but it has kept me busy. I've fettled the stub spars into the main spars and also the webbing. The plan is a little vague as to where the light ply webbing goes, at one point saying up to w3 on the fronts, but at the other end, it says 3mm hard balsa from W4 to w9. That leaves the backs of the central section and the whole of bay W3-W4 to interpret.

As the stub spars terminate into the back of W2-W3 and the retract bearers terminate into W3-W4, I decided to use light ply for all of the central section up to w4.

I also made a mistake getting a hole in the wrong place😁

I made up the front false l.e and the t.e so that they both extend to the board. This will allow me to pin the wing flat to the board whilst skinning the top.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

16/03/2018 22:54:49

Hi Chris,

Hope you are well 👍 You look like you are doing just fine buddy. The trouble with translucent covering is that you're joints need to be spot on. There is nowhere to hide! Having said that, on the Ballerina, I had a lot of trouble with a former that came out undersize on one side, it happened to be one of the formers that held the stringers..... Anyone who looks really closely will see the balsa 'Packers' that I used to correct that one😁

The joy of working with wood is that there is always a way of fixing the errors that are not structural in a build without it showing too much.

Cheers

Mark

15/03/2018 21:53:02

Hi Chris,

Some lovely precise work going on there. Looking good 👍

Cheers

Mark

15/03/2018 21:49:49

Not done a lot tonight. I got the top spar glued in and made up some scrap blocks to hold the front of the ribs while they are sanded back to give a greater gluing area to the false leading edge.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

15/03/2018 13:27:21

A bit more done last night. I ran out of 'square things' to use for holding the ribs square.

image.jpeg

I found that I needed some packing at the bottom of W1 to space it off the board and keep it all lined up. Also, the CNC cutting of D1 (the dihedral brace) had the sides square with the flat top edge, on trial fitting there was a bit of head scratching as to why it wouldn't fit neatly to W2. It was a little too long as well. My Proxxon sander soon had it to the correct length and square to the bottom edges.

Cheers

Mark

13/03/2018 21:19:06

At long last, I've made a start on this build. Just for a change and because I've never built a wing with jig tabs, I've started on the wing first.

The quality of the laser cutting and routed bits in the CNC kit is excellent.

I started by getting both sheets of the plan photocopied, with 2 copies of the wing plan - 1 a straight copy, the other a mirror image. It's strange that Tony has drawn the wing twice on the plan, but they are both the same wing (one shown in detail and one shown fully sheeted. Or is it just me not reading the plan correctly??😁

Anyway, by doing the photocopy, it means I can cut the plan up and fit it to my board and not make a mess of the original

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Thread: Mark's Ballerina MK1
13/03/2018 18:18:36

Hi Nigel,

Yes, I find that if it can't be fixed with a small screwdriver at the field, then it's much easier at home in the dry and warm. I don't take any hex keys with me on purpose, so if it needs the engine removing or servos out, I can't do it at the field.

That field box is great, it's about 20 years old now, I bought it at the Sandown show. Everything clips in its place, so apart from the tacho and chicken stick, as long as everything goes back in after charging, there is nothing to forget.

When I got home today, I adjusted all of the trim out, so we are onto maiden 3 next time.

Cheers

Mark

13/03/2018 17:45:55

Hi Chris,

Your build is looking fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished model. Keep up the good work👍

Cheers

Mark

Thread: Mark's Ballerina MK1
13/03/2018 17:38:52

Hi all,

Managed to get a couple of hours at the field this afternoon and apart from it being a bit waterlogged, I flew the Ballerina 3 times. Wow, what a difference. A much more pleasant experience.

Many thanks once again Peter, it's a beautiful design you have given us.

I will try and get some flying photos in the near future.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Edited By Mark Elen on 13/03/2018 17:39:25

12/03/2018 21:46:19

Hi Chris,

I've not forgotten buddy, this is going to be a 'quick build' just to keep my hand in until October 😂

Now... Where is that toothpick? 😁

Cheers

Mark

11/03/2018 21:29:58

Yup, that is definitely the case. Next plan on the bench,

Shot Portrait

image.jpeg

Shot Landscape

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us