By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Elen

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Elen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Martin`s Hawk
12/11/2017 15:46:22

Hi Martin,

Hope you are well.

That looks great 👍

Not sure about the elevator, but I'm sure the flaps are shown as 45 degrees on the plan. (the plan is at work at the moment)

Cheers

Mark

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
11/11/2017 20:43:36

Danny,

You'll have to say it quicker than that for me to believe you😂

Ive got the plan and am wondering what I've let myself in for😂 Looking forward to the challenge though.

all the best

Mark

Thread: Mark's Ballerina MK1
10/11/2017 21:31:00

Hi Chris,

Are you sure you've not contaminated the whole board? I'm coming down with the cold right now😁

The OCD? That's a life long challenge...

Regards

Mark

10/11/2017 19:18:52

Hey Chris,

Hope you are well. Yes, the bottom half will be white, and as it will 'show through', I've had to make a great effort to get all of the lines straight and equal. I'm not overly happy that the white will have an edge to catch the oil from the engine (covering sequence should be top, bottom, then sides, this is going to leave a 'wrong edge' but the to do it properly, would mean the blue edge over the white.

Ive just realised my OCD is getting the better of me😂😂😂😂😂😂👍

All the best👍

Mark

10/11/2017 18:39:05

Hi Peter,

Tips are always welcome here, there is always something to learn 👍

A little more done tonight

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Most of that was done with the heat gun (and without burning my fingers too😁

Cheers

Mark

08/11/2017 22:09:58

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the tips Peter, I actually managed to use the heat gun tonight and not burn my fingers😁 By far the hardest bit of covering done and I'm pretty happy with it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Thread: What soldering iron wattage?
07/11/2017 21:23:30

Hi Dave,

I've had this for quite a few years. Use it both at work and at home, it's had a few new tips as it gets quite a lot of use. I used it a few weeks ago to solder 10AWG into 150A connectors, no problem

I seem to think Maplins stock these.

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Thread: Mark's Ballerina MK1
07/11/2017 21:08:31

I'll have to try that Peter👍

Hi John, hope you are well👍 I tend not to use the heat gun as I always end up burning my fingers as I'm holding the covering, end up hopping around the workshop swearing whilst trying not to make a mess of whatever it is I'm holding😂

Heres my plan for the tail wheel, the thinnest Ali I could find, it still needs Fettling and it will be held in place by the rudder horn.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

07/11/2017 19:08:58

Hi Davey,

I'm not sure about Solarapan, as I've not used it. This is Oracover, I'm pretty impressed with it, it will take a lot of heat without burning a hole.

With wrinkles, once you stick a wrinkle down, they are nigh on impossible to get out. I've got a lot of tiny ones on the really tight curves on that tail, but from a foot away you can't see them.

Definitely worth practicing as it is a bit of an art. Also have a play with your iron temperature. Once you get the knack, it isn't that hard, it's just time consuming.

Cheers

Mark

07/11/2017 18:31:51

Here are the photos to go with the description above:

These first 3 with the iron on low, just tacking in place

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Once the corner is firmly tacked, iron on hot and shrink it down, no pressure put on the corners, it just needs to shrink and not stick.image.jpeg

Then scalpel off the waste

image.jpeg

And it then looks like this

image.jpeg

With the iron still on hot, go over the edges again with no pressure, to shrink out all of the creases, once they're gone, they can be stuck down.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Then go over the whole surface with the iron on hot, again this needs little pressure, we want it to shrink out the wrinkles, not stick them down.

image.jpeg

That's it.

Cheers

Mark

07/11/2017 13:41:51

Hi Gents,

Many thanks for your kind comments.

Davey, the edges are part of the main covering. I will post up a photo later of my method. Basically it involves making sure the piece has a straight edge, then, using a scrap piece of 1/4" square hardwood, positioning the covering to leave the edge as you can see, then with a low heat, tacking the covering into position. After that, whack the temperature up and shrink around the curves. Cut off the excess with a sharp scalpel, stick down all of the edges, then with a hot iron, go over it all to finish.

I will say that I find, this Oracover is much easier to deal with than Solarfilm.

Cheers

Mark

06/11/2017 22:53:50

Hi Gents,

Disaster averted. I managed to call in at my LHS (Gliders at Newark) today and purchased another metre of the same transparent Oracover 👍

Tonight I've been covering and hinging, I needed to hinge up the elevators so that I could fit the small filler piece behind the elevator joiner. I've also been filling in the gaps where I cut the covering around the tail plane, as these will stand out under the blue.

Used Vaseline on the hinge pins, heated to make it flow into the pin, then with a fine nozzle, filled the slots with superphatic. They are well stuck. The only problem with this method, is that because the hinges are a tight fit in the slots, the superphatic behaves like cyano and wants to 'grab' the hinges as they go in. Got there in the end though and they will be pinned with cocktail sticks stuck in with more superphatic.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Cheers

Mark

05/11/2017 20:35:42

That's pretty untidy for me Peter. It's normally much tidier than that😁

Bit more done, along with the realisation I've not got enough of the blue.... I'm a Rudder short.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

04/11/2017 10:03:25

Hi Peter,

In my working life, I have to design and install fibre optic networks. A lot of time is spent making sure that any maintainance work in the future is easily accessible. It's the law of sod!

A little more done:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

02/11/2017 09:24:38

Hi Peter,

Yes, but there is a big hole in F2 that the tank and the battery will fit through if needed later. It will be a bit of a rave to get the battery out though. The tank will have to come out along with the throttle pushrod.

The NiMH receiver battery will be charged in situ. I only ever charge batteries under supervision, usually whilst I'm building.

Cheers

Mark

01/11/2017 22:24:44

Hi all,

Quite a bit of progress, but not a lot to show. Got pretty much everything on and with the wings on, I've decided to fit the battery below the tank. It pretty much balances in the correct place with it there. There may be a bit of fine adjustment to do once the covering is done, but I'm happy we're in the right ball park.

Fitted the tank with silicon and the battery is well wrapped in foam, so got on with the final piece to glue on.

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Thread: Chris's ChtiCat Racer
01/11/2017 21:22:34

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the PM yesterday, this is looking good👍 Are you sure Gaston is awake? Looks a little bleary eyed to me😂

Regards

Mark

Thread: RM Trainer
01/11/2017 12:15:19

Hi Nigel,

I'm watching your build with interest. It is a great design, just needs a lot of rudder input during take off if you build it as per plan without a steerable nose leg. I know you are going electric and I look forward to seeing your solution, to give you something to compare to, the performance of mine is adequate on a OS25LA.

Your build is looking good👍

Cheers

Mark

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
30/10/2017 19:41:50

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the welcome.👍

Danny, I'll order the plan and the cowl from Sarik and source the wood myself.

Many Thanks

Mark

30/10/2017 12:42:08

Hi Danny,

Can I sign up please? I've been umming and arring for long enough as to whether to sign up.

If accepted, can you put me down for a set of hinges and a vac spinner please?

Cheers

Mark

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us