By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Ashby - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings David Ashby - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Overseas subscribers can download the May and June issue plans
08/07/2020 20:47:33

No solution is perfect when it comes to the two issues (May and June) not sent overseas during the lockdown, but I've persuaded the Editor to make the pull-out plans from those issues available to overseas subscribers (and all RCM&E subscribers).

They can be downloaded (for free of course) from the home page article here.

Normal service has resume with the July issue that overseas subscribers should be receiving soon.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 08/07/2020 20:49:46

Thread: Swoop. 1.2m aerobatic slope soarer
08/07/2020 06:00:05

Looks promising thumbs up

Thread: The RCM&E 60th Anniv' Fly-in ** CANCELLED **
02/07/2020 11:28:03

Just bumping up this thread in case folks missed it.

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
02/07/2020 10:03:56

My wife was telling me that she failed her exam in Aboriginal music...

I said, "Didja redo it?" smile

Thread: RCM&E July 2020 issue chat
02/07/2020 08:32:20

Overseas print copies have restarted with the July (Miss Sizzles) issue Graham so, assuming you're a print subscriber, you should receive one. UK print copies were never halted.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 02/07/2020 10:04:52

Thread: Rcme latest issue
30/06/2020 08:26:39

No further developments I'm afraid Joost.

Thread: Swoop. 1.2m aerobatic slope soarer
28/06/2020 07:16:39

Looks great Dan, following with interest thumbs up

Thread: Seagull Challenger - First kit Build - First IC
26/06/2020 19:51:34

The fuselage jig is included with the kit.

Thread: The RCM&E 60th Anniv' Fly-in ** CANCELLED **
25/06/2020 20:35:43

I'm very sorry to say that this year's event has been cancelled in the light of the ongoing Coronavirus situation. Fingers crossed, perhaps we can look forward to a fly-in next year.

Thread: Old posts deleted
24/06/2020 16:14:10
Posted by kc on 24/06/2020 15:49:13:

It's a great shame that so much has been deleted. It's worse than censorship! It seems rather like kids taking their ball home just because they are not winning.

...as you say kc.

We've found that GDPR has raised awareness of 'data' and whereas, in the past, some people left the forum but were happy for posts to remain, now they tend to request that everything is deleted; usually because of data fears they can't really explain.

Then there are some who leave having had three strikes (forum warnings). Sometimes these people are prolific posters and, usually, in a fit of pique (and threats) they ask for everything to be removed. Then there are those who once removed try to come back under a different user name/IP address. If we spot them then they'll be removed, but sometimes we'll go through the three strikes process again, which allows more posts to build up.

One particularly prolific poster had a third warning a few months ago and departed, came back under a different name and departed again. But the moderators have noticed that the community is a happier, less troubled place since.

David.

Thread: The thread for your subscriber questions and queries **please do not start a new thread**
23/06/2020 20:00:29

Any day now if you're a UK subscriber. A little later for overseas.

Thread: Seagull Challenger - First kit Build - First IC
23/06/2020 16:27:25
Posted by gangster on 23/06/2020 16:20:57:

RCME did a review of the kit a few years ago. It would be worth getting hold of it.

Yep, the April 2015 issue.

Thread: Will we continue to get the magazine (RCM&E)?
23/06/2020 16:24:48

Tomas, as I think this thread alludes to, those issues weren't posted owing to the potential for delay and/or non-delivery due to the Covid crisis. Subscriptions will be extended for 2 months accordingly.

23/06/2020 09:15:44

Untrue Tomas. At least as far as RCM&E is concerned.

Thread: The great i.c. / electric finger chopping debate
22/06/2020 21:29:45
Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 22/06/2020 16:58:23:

I wonder what the OP is making of this?

Where is a moderator when you need one?

Oh, hang on a minute.......

(Do I hear the sound of distant chuckling?)

😊

Oh, well, I suppose it might just be a bit of ‘armless fun which many of us have had a hand in and although I can’t quite put my finger on why, I’m giving it a thumbs up! Maybe it’s time to leg it before someone puts their foot in it?

Edited By Keith Miles 2 on 22/06/2020 17:05:55

Well, the thread's evolution wasn't a great surprise, but interesting all the same. Me thinks the biggest threat is the operator, the human factor, and you can't negate that 100%.

19/06/2020 09:38:51

Just as an aside. Like a good number of other people I'm on blood thinning tablets so bleed well with even the slightest of cuts. I nicked my finger on the slope the other day trimming some wing retention tape, nothing to stop flying apart from decorating every model with a few splashes of red. But I have added some steri strips to the first aid kit I carry in the car.

19/06/2020 08:56:32
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 18/06/2020 21:04:03:

Whilst I agree that an IC engine is not dangerous while it's not running, and that it only takes the combination of a couple of mistakes for an electric motor to start unexpectedly, that's surely not the end of the debate.

IC prop strikes dominate, in my experience, and that's because engine adjustments or removing the glow clip can require you to put your fingers perilously close to the prop. A moment's lapse in concentration can see you reaching through the prop too. I've even seen a loose tether cause someone to put their hand out to stop the model as it took up the slack and travelled towards him when he'd just started it.

I'd agree Chris, the vast majority of prop nips (and worse) that I've personally seen have been i.c. related.

Thread: Will we continue to get the magazine (RCM&E)?
18/06/2020 09:41:46

Well, I'm not an employee of the company, just a freelance contributor and you do have my genuine sympathies.

It's not a perfect situation and I'm sure the company management didn't enjoy making the decisions they made along the way. I'll pass your thought onwards and upwards of course and let you know if there's any encouraging news.

18/06/2020 09:37:23

Sorry Glen, I was editing the language in your post and hit delete by mistake......

I'll add your post below.

Thread: The great i.c. / electric finger chopping debate
18/06/2020 09:30:46

We were putting the world to rights at the club recently when conversation got round to the great i.c. / electric motor comparison which traditionally says that electric props are more dangerous because they'll try and keep turning when coming into contact with something, where an i.c. engine will stall and stop.

Then someone threw a spanner in the works by saying that an electric motor would stop too because the ESC would lose synchronisation and start to re-arm itself.

That's not a theory I would like to test but I wondered if anyone has some thoughts they could share here perhaps based on actual experience, or some technical aspect to confirm or otherwise.

Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!