By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Ashby - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings David Ashby - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: October 2020 issue chat
29/09/2020 19:38:57

One thing they did mention in passing....

One way the ‘bad referrer’ error can happen is if you are browsing using a proxy server or elevated security settings. This means that the link you clicked to get from our website to the magazine archive gets obscured and the archive website therefore is unable to see the information that demonstrates that you are a legitimate subscriber.

I suspect that you have a security setting on your browser that is blocking referrer information. there is some information here, although it is not particularly easy to understand:

**LINK**

If you have recently updated your browser or changed security settings/installed security software that may be the root cause.

So, still being looked into, but, apparently, there’s an option within the browser settings to protect the firewall which needs to be unticked to allow people to view the archive.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 29/09/2020 19:39:59

29/09/2020 19:31:39

Gordon/Sparks, I've asked our tech people to have a look at this and return to me ASAP.

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
27/09/2020 08:02:18

Off topic/political posts removed. 

It's probably a good time to lock this one, please start a new thread in the light of new developments.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 27/09/2020 08:07:14

25/09/2020 15:28:04

They all seem to be working fine for me Gordon. Anyone else?

24/09/2020 09:22:33

Don't think so Leccy, although Covid has played havoc with this year's publishing dates. The Special Issue was due to go to the printers about this time.

Thread: Return of the SMA
23/09/2020 18:39:36
Posted by kevin b on 23/09/2020 14:14:49:

How about adding SMA to the thread topics mods ?

Might make a nice place to discuss small models (aviation type !).

No problem, done thumbs up

I can create a separate forum section (Like the PSSA and UKCAA) in due course, perhaps when the SMA becomes more formalised?

23/09/2020 13:42:39

Folks, just to let you know that we're aware of the problem with the digital archive issue (Oct 20) and we'll get it fixed very soon.

Thread: The thread for your subscriber questions and queries **please do not start a new thread**
23/09/2020 08:31:18

Looks like it's now available via PM Christopher. thumbs up

Thread: Ebay sellers...
22/09/2020 10:24:12

I'm lost for words.......teeth 2

LINK

Thread: Drone delivery service, the shape of things to come?
20/09/2020 07:41:13

And this, which (reassuringly wink) was also in yesterday's Times newspaper.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 20/09/2020 07:42:08

Thread: New limit on groups in England from Monday?
18/09/2020 13:24:06

Off topic posts removed. Please start a new thread for comments about the government and covid in general.

14/09/2020 09:14:10

Two off-topic posts removed. If you're fed up with Covid/Governments and life in general then we really don't want to know about it here. Let's keep this factual and helpful for those seeking guidance on this specific matter.

Thread: The thread for your subscriber questions and queries **please do not start a new thread**
06/09/2020 06:41:59
Posted by Noel Burgess on 06/09/2020 03:38:37:

I have been a subscriber for about 15 yrs and recognise problems with covid 19, But I have not received my May and June issues. I have received July and August, can I please have sent to me ,These two issues? Cheers Noel Burgess.

Hi Noel,

The two issue you've not rec'd weren't sent to overseas readers owing to the pandemic postal problems. Subscriptions were extended for a further two months accordingly.

Details are here including free plan download links for the issues in question.

David

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 06/09/2020 08:02:46

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 07/09/2020 09:39:03

06/09/2020 06:36:10
Posted by robert chamberlain on 05/09/2020 23:57:15:

Hi, Beth, The last copy I have received is the April edition,---any thoughts?---Bob Chamberlain.

Bob,

I've removed the personal details from your post. Please kindly email Beth with your details (subs no, address etc.) and query (email address above).

David.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 06/09/2020 06:36:56

05/09/2020 14:47:32

It has been sent Julian but drop Beth (above) an email just to check yours has gone too.

Thread: Gliding video thread
03/09/2020 09:08:54

Nice videos Den and Steve thumbs up

Thread: Looking for Help Identifying Vintage Model Planes!
02/09/2020 08:26:55
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 01/09/2020 18:54:54:
Posted by David Davis on 01/09/2020 17:07:48:

Kailyn, I think you'll find that your "German Hawker Hurricane model" is in fact a Junkers Ju 87b commonly known as a Stuka.

**LINK**

Are you sure it's not a German Messerschmit BF109, I don't see the wings as being cranked?

Agreed, it's a '109.

Thread: DVLA scam
30/08/2020 09:29:59

Phone, email or letter Alastair?

Thread: Why RC? Why not FF?
30/08/2020 09:17:22

Maybe I'm wrong, but I could imagine RC flyers would tend to skip over the FF sections, or are simply unsure what they're looking at on the page.

So one thing I guess FF needs to think about is how to be more visible and how to communicate the modern side to people! Clearly the old balsa-and-tissue stuff (which is still regularly flown safely and well, with radio dethermaliser and tracking beacon) very much drives the perception, and what I would call the "sports" or "fun flyer" segment rather than competition flying.

The trick is writing for both experienced free flights and beginners, which isn't easy.

Pete, great thread and, funnily enough, I built FF models during lockdown - a peanut and a KK Gypsy. In the process I stocked up on more kits for next winter. Nothing has flown yet but thoroughly absorbing they were.

Have you thought about approaching KC (mag editor) with a view to writing something for RCM&E? When I was editor I intentionally ran FF pieces every now and then for a bit of variety and because I know many R/C flyers either do FF too every now and then or they'd done it in the past. A series demystifying aspects of FF and bringing the old hands up to date would, I'm sure, be appreciated.

We ran a KK Ajax duration comp at my club last year and although most entries were from those who remember the kit being launched (teeth 2), a couple of young guys had a go having never built from sticks and tissue (let alone FF). So, as you say, it's a case of hammering home the message in an accessible way and doing it relentlessly.

I'd like to know more about the modern FF model in your pic, are kits available?

David.

Thread: E-flite Havoc XE
28/08/2020 09:47:54

Those I've seen fly well Robert, assuming you've flown EDF you should be fine remembering that setting the timer is the most important part of any flight wink 2

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!