By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Ashby - Moderator

Here is a list of all the postings David Ashby - Moderator has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What's the best tip you can offer to new modellers?
27/01/2007 07:49:00
1. When learning to fly, follow a fixed learning schedule - just keeping the model in the sky so as to prevent it from hitting the ground is only just a start. Andy Ellison's excellent article in the January issue has a flight training schedule and loads of good advice.

2. Don't ditch the trainer too soon after you've solo'd, it'll still have things to teach you for a long time yet.

3. Practice, practice and then practice a whole load more. Never give up, keep practicing and learning and sooner than you think you'll be flying that 'Spit.

4. Have fun.
Thread: New Electric Lanc plan
25/01/2007 05:49:00
Noted Vince, many thanks.
Thread: Futaba 14MZ a dead radio?
25/01/2007 05:33:00
Andy, yes of course it's only a JR 2610 as far as basic computer tx functions are concerned...and in looks too. It doesn't meet your rather more demanding requirements. So I guess the manufacturers have pitched their first offering at the club flyer - the largest segment within the hobby.
If it sells well then it stands to reason that the range will be expanded and hopefully other manufacturers will come on board. You can't escape the fact that at £240 including 4 digital servos, it's very well priced. If I was in the market for a FF7 ?

Brian, the airels are short because they don't need to be long, we're talking about 2400MHz here. The range is proven to be beyond visual.
In a funny way we need to re-condition our brains to accept that our models don't need a long trailing ariel with 2.4 spread spectrum. It's natural I guess after decades of long ariel models :-)
Thread: what are we gonna do instead of sandown
24/01/2007 21:28:00
The Nat's is my favourite, should be at the hop farm this year Steve, barring illness!
24/01/2007 21:25:00
I've been reviewing the set this week - it'll be in the next issue.

The battery connector on the pack itself isn't the standard futaba/jr type - I'm not sure what it is but it meant I had to use the wall slow charger for the tx.
Thread: New Electric Lanc plan
24/01/2007 15:53:00
Tony, make that .....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sea fury zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sea fury zzzzzzzzz

David
Thread: Hellooooo
24/01/2007 15:47:00
Barry, contact the BMFA and they'll point you to a local club contact.

Terry - ah, sorry I'm being completely daft, serves me right for replying after a long day in the office. Maurice is my dad so I've seen his one fly. I'll have a word with him. My guess would be a speed400 or brushless equiv, perhaps a 3s pack. You could try giving John Emms at Puffin models a ring, he's good at helping choose an electric set-up.
Thread: What's the most wind you've flown in?
23/01/2007 20:41:00
Andy Ellison was telling me recently that he was slope soaring in 100mph winds just after xmas.

I've flown in some very strong winds, with the right model it's fun. Often it's just landings and take off's that are the tricky bit, once up its a hoot.

Jeremy with, say a WOT4/Cougar a hovering type landing is pretty easy....'ish
Thread: what are we gonna do instead of sandown
22/01/2007 21:11:00
My wife will be pleased, I'll save money by staying at home. Plenty more shows to splash some cash mind.
Thread: Aims for 2007
22/01/2007 21:09:00
To progress my flying skills, learn a few new manouvers in the sky and keep my models in one piece. I may even dip my toe in the helicopter water in 2007 !!
Graham will be pleased.
Thread: Hellooooo
22/01/2007 21:07:00
Terry a whole heap of questions, You might want to start a new thread for this one. Anyhow, start by describing the model for us, what powerplant was it designed for ? size? Then we can go from there.
Thread: Customer Service
22/01/2007 21:05:00
I just love it when Sky TV phone me to try and get me re-connected and the first thing they do is ask ME! for ID, as if I phoned them, bless..
22/01/2007 18:16:00
Hows that Brian ?
Thread: Still havn't flown yet this year
22/01/2007 06:36:00
Sounds good to me John. I've never seen Headcorn muddier than it is now.
22/01/2007 06:34:00
Possibly John, If 7 channels is enough for you of course. The 14Mz does a lot that the Spektrum wont do but the price premium is so huge that only the most demanding pilots will need the full facilities of the 14Mz.

Thread: Mk.9 - coming soon!
21/01/2007 19:01:00
Mark, Graham and I have been flying the prototype on and off this winter and as it's a pretty light model it hasn't suffered any probs from belly landing. It looks better on low fly-bys without anything hanging down too :-)

21/01/2007 14:39:00
Mark, an 40 size engine in the Spit would be a bit big, perhaps a 30 as a max. Tony's model bombed along on a 25. Retracts would add weight and the model is a bit small for them in truth although it wouldn't be impossible to fit.
Thread: Wing repair question
18/01/2007 20:04:00
Michael, is this an open structure ?
If so, and assuming this is just a covering problem then a patch made from solartrim (sticky backed solarfilm) should suffice.

David.
Thread: Portable MP3 players
15/01/2007 19:26:00
You could try a mobile phone with a decent mp3 player. I like Sony Ericsson phones which have good players and with a 1-2gb memory card you're getting a decent amount of music on-board. The SE 750i or w800i have come down in price. They are great to use, have a decent 2MP camera and good MP£ built-in, well worth a look.

Thread: Still havn't flown yet this year
13/01/2007 15:59:00
Oh cheers mate, I'm a lot happier now :-( do we have any hills in Kent ? Perhaps I could launch off the garage roof ?
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us