By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel R

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel R has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
11/11/2019 10:57:41

The average drone kind of flies itself, so moving it closer until you can see it clearly is probably an acceptable path to recovering safe flight.

I also thought 'land' was another acceptable, but I'm not the CAA, I'm thinking like a fixed winger, and it occurs to me there is the possibility our hapless hypothetical drone pilot may have registered a flight over/near a crowd / house / mineshaft / mountain rescue situation, or some other contrived scenario.

Thread: How many on-going projects and unstarted kits do you have?
09/11/2019 20:34:45

I'm with Pete M in this one. I have no ongoing projects at this point in time. A few minor repairs to do and a workshop tidy.

Sadly that does not mean my shop is clean or neat!

I do have a box of engines that I'm unlikely to completely use.

Thread: CAA BMFA
08/11/2019 13:54:38

Steve, I will, going by my clubs AGM, offer the following:

Many, if not most, fliers, have their pants in a twist about the test. It is confusing and unknown.

BMFA are trying, as is their remit, to make the hobby easier to participate, in this case for those who fear the test.

Choose, scary new CAA test, or friendly familiar BMFA who can take your A cert instead.

If you don't meet the A standard, BMFA will provide you with a BMFA approved tick box test.

The recent straw poll of my club says almost all fliers will choose BMFA.

Thread: Lipo for trainer
08/11/2019 13:45:07

easier answer perhaps - go down 1" in prop diameter

Thread: CAA BMFA
08/11/2019 12:00:14

"That said, I think all clubs need to make it crystal clear that obedience to the law is a personal and individual obligation, and that in no way can the club be implicated in or liable for non-compliance by any member or visitor to the Club."

Insurance / personal liability are another consideration.

BMFA still to clear that one up I understand.

Thread: Spares for my Mini drill
08/11/2019 08:53:02

My Makita cordless drill recently gave up.

Gearbox fine, motor fine, trigger (speed control) - not ok.

Price of replacement trigger, approx 2/3 cost of new unit.

I bought an entire new unit for the same cost, as soon as I found a NOS on Ebay.

Thread: Fuel Agitation
07/11/2019 09:08:41

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about cutting the former - you can always reinforce it with some ply. Even if it is one of those laser cut "lots of holes" type formers, it could be doubled up to retain strength.

What about a different shape tank? A longer thinner one?

Thread: Irvine 53 issues
07/11/2019 08:54:54

there is still some stock of spares for these carbs

**LINK**

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
06/11/2019 17:10:20

Well I decided to just do the CAA site test.

Total time, 5 minutes. It is not difficult at all, especially as you can keep the answers handy and search through them.

I shall now be a good boy and stick my magic number on my toys, and look forward to enjoying all the positive benefits that registration can bring me.

06/11/2019 13:06:35

Will the BMFA route result in us being registered as operator and pilot?

I assume so, but can't recall reading anything to confirm.

This came up in our clubs AGM last night along with a host of other confusion although by the end of the discussion, most members agreed they would prefer to pay the BMFA an extra £9 and go with the BMFA's multiple choice test if they did not have an A (or B).

Thread: Which servos for a Boomerang & a Nova 40
06/11/2019 09:49:42

"Futaba are the Volkwagen of radio controlled equipment!"

Expensive and unreliable? devil

PS does that make Hitec the Honda of RC?

Edited By Nigel R on 06/11/2019 09:51:18

Thread: Covering a sheeted surface in tissue and dope.
06/11/2019 09:23:05

in my (fairly limited) experience;

1 sanding sealer,

2 very light sand with fine grit to smooth off any lumps

3 repeat above two steps if needed

4 tissue attached using 1 thin coat of non shrink dope

5 several coats of shrinking dope to suit

6 transfers and all that stuff

7 several coats fuel proofer

"Esaki Super Flite only weighs 21gsm."

It'll be a bit more when you've got fuel proofer and paint and dope on there, surely?

Standard non vintage film is around 65g/m2 (not that you'd use it on this, although I probably would).

'Tex is easy, although a bit pricey, but, you don't need to buy dope or very much fuel proofer.

Edited By Nigel R on 06/11/2019 09:23:39

Thread: Gas engineers
06/11/2019 09:11:21

"The old boilers tend to be reliable because there are few working parts but need to be safety checked regularly and you do lose out on efficiency now. "

There's a lot to be said for having low repair and upkeep costs. Ours is old, very old, c. late 70s I believe, runs on anthracite, and has electronics consisting of one thermistor, a temperature dial and a fan unit - all still the original parts. I expect one day the water jacket will rot, but it will have done good service. Annual maintenance consists of me sweeping the chimney, a few squirts of WD40 and giving the fan a brush out to clear off any cruft. Efficient? Not really. It gets very warm - and then so does the kitchen. Annual heating bill for early 1800s house, ~£750. Over the five or six months we run it, we don't need to use our immersion for hot water or use the electric showers, and we have more hot water than we can possibly use, so in theory the electric goes down by about £1 or so per day - although in practice we have to do more washing and tumble drying so that all cancels out.

On the other hand, I shudder to think of what the emissions are like compared to a current gas condensing job...

Thread: Which servos for a Boomerang & a Nova 40
05/11/2019 22:38:35

I like Hitec. So, Hitec 311, 422 or 425.

I don't know about banggood makes, sorry.

Any standard size (45g ish) servo will be ok.

Thread: Mini Blitz
05/11/2019 16:52:09

Hairy! yes

Thread: How many flyable aircraft do you have ?
05/11/2019 16:49:41

"And speedster, the allowable number of models is governed by the formula T = N +1 where T is total models permitted and N is the number you currently have."

I think you're mixing up desirable and allowable there Jon!

05/11/2019 15:57:40

Of which half are small foamboard type.

Thread: Ribs - 'C' Grain, But What Density? (for Chilli Wind)
04/11/2019 17:24:48

No worries.

Many ways to skin a cat.

I would consider doing Alex's mod if I was building one again - sheet right back to the TE and cut out the ailerons afterward.

This would also allow space for flaps to be added at the same time if the ailerons were made shorter and wider. The Chilli is quite slippery and I use up all of our runway unless there is a little breeze. I could use some brakes of some sort! If landing space is not at a premium that may not matter.

Thread: Design & Build Sport Twin
04/11/2019 17:19:25

Many thanks Timo smiley

I forgot to add a few figures - the final weight minus fuel is 6lb 9oz (3kg) and wing area is just over 700sq in. Loading is 22oz/sq ft. Cubic loading, for those that take notice of it, is 9.6 oz / cu ft.

04/11/2019 16:51:22

Thanks Jon. I didn't tacho the mid range but it sounded quite close, and pickup was even.

I'm waiting on a noise check before getting airbourne now.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us