By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel R

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel R has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: To Sell or Not to Sell
14/06/2019 09:08:29

Worst financial case I can see - buy another bigger house, with a big mortgage, work goes under, you can't get a job quickly.

I guess you got to weigh up how likely the place going under is, that seems to me to dominate the decision right now. Redundancies and the three month deadline doesn't sound good from the outside, so I think my call would be planning for that... If your existing mortgage is paid off it all becomes a bit simpler, as staying put until work situation resolves seems more viable, even if work go under and you have a slack period. If your existing mortgage isn't paid off, how expensive would a mortgage holiday be? How long a period of being out of work do you envisage?

Obviously kids factor into this as well, and that probably precludes staying with your parents for any amount of time.

Take all the above with pinch of salt.

Ultimately, best to figure out a the likely turns of events and plan out how you'd deal with each.

Best of luck.

Edited By Nigel R on 14/06/2019 09:09:15

Thread: foam airliner shop bargain project
14/06/2019 08:07:52

nice!

are you burying a few 9g servos in the foam?

Thread: What setting for charging NiMH batteries
14/06/2019 08:05:44

Have you tried a trickle charge cycle to balance the cells? It might affect how well the peak detect works on next charge.

Under a discharge at 1C, I would set 1V per cell as the low threshold.

Thread: Ripmax ARTF stocks
13/06/2019 17:41:07

"I don't see how Brexit can have anything to do with it."

Hmm.

Massive uncertainty over future trading conditions will have quite a lot to do with anything that has to cross a border, regardless of origin or destination. Civilian business does not in general thrive on uncertainty. Could be said that other types might do, but I don't think our game really does.

"Very little indeed I think, and it's quite possible, even likely, that trading conditions with non-European countries could be improved without conditions imposed by the EU."

I don't think I can agree here.

Consider, who has a better negotiating position, the entire EU bloc, representing one of the largest trading areas / markets of the world, or the UK, who at the point in time we're talking about, won't be.

Either way, it will take years, and years, and probably more years, of individual negotiations with said individual countries. Until such time trade will be on the worst possible conditions/regulations, i.e. WTO if UK crashes out of EU. In short, we can expect pretty much about everything we buy to be more expensive for a long time.

Mods if I'm drifting too political here then please delete, I'm trying to stay relevant to the low stock level discussion.

Thread: Kings Lynn Model Shop
13/06/2019 14:45:19

Don't ask me! You're the boss (effectively). smiley And as the saying goes, you can only do what you can do with one pair of hands.

Appreciate your input as ever.

Thread: Galaxy models mystic - help on electric conversion
13/06/2019 14:02:15

"Nigel, thanks for the feedback, a 15 inch prop sounds good - you don’t happen to know what current it’s pulling do you"

No worries. I could make a guess on fuel consumption for the 120, but no idea on the electric - but Bob's posted details on his setup smiley

Thread: Ripmax ARTF stocks
13/06/2019 13:49:24

Its the commercial dream, isn't it? Express yourself by choosing which thing to buy.

Not by what you do or what you craft.

Thread: Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones
13/06/2019 13:44:20

"Shows DJI in a completely different light and although arguably the main contributor to the initial problem could be a useful ally in the fight for common sense!"

Clear commercial interest - DJI want to continue selling drones.

"The second half is not just about Amazon filling the skies with delivery drones or how China is spying on nuclear power plants either. Some good comments from both sides to take on board"

Bit of a tangent, but, China are building Hinckley, aren't they? The AGR, designed in the 60s, is probably not even worth stealing these days as current projects are all PWRs (I think), and the Magnox predecessor has already been built from publicly accessible documents by North Korea... It was more the whole defence angle of drone (mis)use being discussed that I found interesting.

But yes some good comments all around.

13/06/2019 13:13:26

"To use myself as an example, should i spend the time telling people they cant have their stuff yet or should i shut up and build it?"

Depends - did you advertise it as in stock and with next day delivery? If so then I would say yes, because there, something has gone wrong when it isn't delivered when expected.

But I seem to recall you did something different, i.e. "back order" - which really doesn't imply the same immediate response, and/or expectation from the buyer.

My point is, if you want to run a website with live stock indications then it creates expectations in the buyers mind.

I appreciate I am not in your shoes, nor those of the Kings Lynn shop.

13/06/2019 10:10:29

C8, I think the communication aspect is key.

If you are contacted somehow, when things are not quite as expected when ordering, it goes a long way.

Thread: Galaxy models mystic - help on electric conversion
13/06/2019 10:07:11

"120 Surpass (1500W-ish?)"

Mine showed 9100 rpm on 15x7 APC. The calculator I have used many times shows that to be around 1250W.

Accounting for electric system inefficiency, I'd guess 1500W would be equivalent.

"I have several .60-.90 two stroke sized models running 5055 430kv motors on 6S with 15*8-15*10 props,"

Bob's setup sounds ideal to me.

Trevor, that looks nice

Edited By Nigel R on 13/06/2019 10:07:31

Thread: Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA
13/06/2019 09:58:52

Rates in that contract would suggest around £1m for the first year of Alpha/Beta/Public Beta. Onboing running cost ought to be a lot less when completed and deployed.

The contract might be issued by CAA but as above posting may very well be done to gov rules.

The contract seems to suggest that this system is purely for registration, payment, and some third party access at an administrator level (e.g. CAA, police). I don't see any mention of services involving integration with automatic ATC for USpace or geofencing.

Without trying to sound disparaging, that contract suggests a database, a shop front, and an admin interface. Not exactly rocket science. Ongoing costs; some bug fixes, hosting, assorted tech support.

£2.8mil/year (do I have that right?) - the software place must be laughing their socks off.

12/06/2019 17:29:06

Sounds like you should stick with it, if he's a one man band it may simply be a case of not yet getting to your order or unable to answer the phone.

Thread: TV Licence petition
12/06/2019 17:25:20

how did "the poor old tax payer" bail out those "greedy bankers"? which sort of Brexit is Boris delivering? a good one, a hard one, one that the EU likes?

12/06/2019 17:20:56

"the BBC costs us a fortune to run"

£154 a year, if you have a colour telly, surely?

Left wing? Really? Think we've veering into politics which will get the mods upset...

edit for typo

Edited By Nigel R on 12/06/2019 17:21:45

12/06/2019 17:03:52

The BBC does do some of what commercial stations do, it sells a lot of its content to other broadcasters and on DVD release (etc).

Pete, of course it isn't a level playing field. The BBC has a massive, free, guaranteed income - unlike actual commercial broadcasters. All it has to do to collect it is administer the TV license, mainly by unsavoury letters threatening the use of (and eventually actually using) very dodgy debt collectors on people who don't or can't pay. In fact that wing of it is so unpleasant, the BBC go to lengths to disassociate their 'brand' from the licensing activities.

12/06/2019 16:37:31

A number of reviews on trustpilot seem to suggest they have history for sub par customer service and being slow to sort their website orders out.

Give it a while, then seek refund, via credit card or paypal etc.

Thread: Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones
12/06/2019 16:32:07
Posted by Peter Miller on 12/06/2019 08:17:48:

"I have made up my mind. Do not try and confuse me wth the facts!"

The very antithesis of science.

12/06/2019 16:28:50
Posted by michael matthews 2 on 12/06/2019 14:08:17:

so what are we getting for the £16.50 ?

A nice, virtual, internet based, rubber stamp.

A small amount of our life wasted obtaining said stamp.

Of course, not to forget, like every other resident of Britain, we will all be an awful lot safer.

Thread: Design & Build Sport Twin
12/06/2019 06:35:06

I think I am going to end up with the neck of the tank in line with, and the fuel lines coming through, the centre of the mount. Nothing particularly unusual. With the engine upright it is a bit lower than optimal however there isn't much I can do about that. The nacelles are not very tall!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us