By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel R

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel R has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Guess the fault
04/10/2019 12:24:25

"Does anyone do a load test on RX packs as a maintenance check"

I periodically do a charger based discharge/charge cycle to check things, using a load of about 1C (i.e. 2.5A for average AA size pack). That should result in approx. 50 minutes of discharge, with the cutoff at 1V/cell. Capacity should show around 80% of nominal. Ideally, trickle to charge.

"IMHO with digital servos I am not sure these RX packs are up to the job."

My take

RX pack choice depends on your servo load (somewhat obviously) - a "standard" nimh RX pack with a good switch, standard wiring (but quality, i.e. silicon insulation, 22AWG up to the RX) etc., are all good for a few amps (5A or more IIRC), which is enough to safely run four standard size digitals. Anything beyond that and yes, you're into lipo + reg territory, or sub Cs, or something along those lines, but also beefy wiring and the entry point for power distribution blocks and backup packs and whatnot.

I fly (max) 10cc sized sport stuff as a rule, and universally use analogue servos and standard nimh packs (or, switch mode BEC on an electric) - nothing up to that size class really needs the juicy servos. I'm not fast enough to detect a difference with fancy fast / digital servos. If I went the far side of 10lb then the picture would change (as it would if I had a 40 class or above 3d airframe).

04/10/2019 11:04:57

C8 thanks for sharing the issue and solution.

What brand and how old are the cells?

Thread: Tony Nijhuis Harvard - Build Log
04/10/2019 09:04:41

That looks very smart, great work.

Thread: Design & Build Sport Twin
04/10/2019 08:36:57

Many thanks gents. Yes, looking forward to getting it airbourne now.

No photos of the last nights progress, but, the covering is proceeding nicely - the fuselage is covered and the only thing left to cover is the nose cone. I had about three feet of hobbyking white film left over from my last build and that has made up the shortfall I discovered upon completion of the wing. All told it has taken nearly twenty hours to get the film on! And of course I still have the trim strips and sunburst or similar to finish it off after that.

I'm starting to wonder if it might have been quicker or easier to do a dope and tissue, or poly-c and glass type finish. Film is pretty good at big flat panels, like regular wings, and simple boxy shapes like a Stik, but with lots of corners and curves and so on, it starts becoming much slower and trickier to get a nice finish.

Edited By Nigel R on 04/10/2019 08:43:38

Thread: B -17 crashes
03/10/2019 22:05:48

Not good news at all.

Thread: Mark’s Peggy Sue 2 Build
03/10/2019 22:03:57

Very neat work as ever Mark

Thread: Guess the fault
03/10/2019 21:57:22

Black wire

Thread: Miss Deeds or 1/4 semi scale Cassutt
03/10/2019 17:14:33

Erf, sounds like an overheating problem.

You might need to add a lip to the cooling exit hole to encourage the flow, or similar.

My midwing Aerobat suffered this same issue (although no cutouts, the ESC was simply quite toasty when I landed and tried putting a finger on it) - the cooling exit hole was underside of fuselage just behind wing. I put a simple ramp on the inside to encourage more of a venturi effect, which solved the problem for me.

Good to hear the positive flight report. My dad has just started building one of these.

Edited By Nigel R on 03/10/2019 17:15:24

Thread: Spektrum newbie
03/10/2019 17:08:58

All-the-features type comparison of the Spektrum TX range is here:

big chart on spektrum website

Thread: Help please with enlargment of pdf plans
03/10/2019 17:05:47

Where did the plans come from? It is possible they have not been sized correctly.

Anyway. If "112%" came out at 78 inches, then 103.5% should be very close to 72.

At 103.5% the chord will come at 11.5 inches.

Either of the plans may not be quite perfect scale outline - i.e. one of the designers may have added some chord to gain a bit more wing area.

Thread: A Terrifying story
02/10/2019 18:00:27

Oh to have the time to walk the dogs 10 miles every day.

Lamb pastie. Mmm.

Thread: Binding DX6i to AR6200
02/10/2019 17:51:12

Have you tried outdoors, with some (10 ft plus) distance between TX and RX?

Indoors can be a little flaky sometimes.

Minor point to add to the above post - I don't believe there is a specific setting, I think the early model DX6i simply bound in DSMX mode if possible, or DSM2 if not. Later DX6i were DSMX only, as Denis says.

Thread: setting up Dynam Spitfire Mk IX 1200 V2 with Spekrum DX6e
02/10/2019 15:47:21

"I now have to the two connections (from from each WING) going to the ELEV port and AUX port on the receiver, all seems to operate as expected now."

Something sounds wrong there - none of the wing servos will go into the elevator port on the RX; and if you have flaps then there will be three connections from each wing.

I think Don's post has it nailed, put this one away for a bit, learn the ropes with something else, then return to it later.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
02/10/2019 11:18:28

"More naval gazing by a lot of overpaid Eurocrats at our expense......"

In the sorry history of the UK registration saga, it seems like the "overpaid Eurocrats" arrived at a better answer, than the pointless gold plating applied on top by the overpaid Brit quango effort.

I'd also imagine that if, say, an entire continent funded a single central agency to do this stuff, it might work out considerably cheaper for each country, than each country funding individual agencies to do the same stuff, over and again on top of the central agencies efforts.

So yes, at our expense, like most governmental agencies, but a lot less of our individual expense than, say, the humble and open minded De Vere fiddling around doing busy work and Failing Grayling's database contract.

Thread: Piano wire
01/10/2019 16:36:06

Hobbyking sell K&S branded wire which I have found to be much the same as that from SLEC and balsa cabin.

Thread: Wing trailing edge
30/09/2019 16:56:08

How wavy is it?

If you need whole inches to measure the wave then maybe a problem.

Otherwise just go fly.

Thread: Afternoon all.
27/09/2019 23:28:35

Evening Kevin

Thread: Thrust
27/09/2019 23:25:00

You are a brave man.

Thread: 2019: Britain's new air disaster
27/09/2019 12:08:24

And you would hope the police were trained to avoid such bias in witness accounts.

Thread: Thrust
27/09/2019 10:45:23

It'll rev on that prop, maybe 15k?

Speed model I assume?

Static thrust in region of 5lb, bit of a guess, but most any sensible prop on a 50 size 2 stroke will be in that ball park, so to speak.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us