By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel R

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel R has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric Cars.
16/07/2019 15:08:59

Yes, I think you're right. If you can legitimately waste time on facebook while the car drives you to work, you don't worry about the extra five minutes.

Alternatively, sleep on the motorway while you travel from north to south of the country.

etc.

Wishes? They're already made, Renault Twizy has been around for a while but I don't see many being driven. 17bhp, 1/3 the size of a normal parking spot, 2 person, currently about 40 mile range.

Seem to recall some bloke called Clive made an effiicent electric trike once, nice idea, didn't catch on.

16/07/2019 13:30:08

Easy way to universally maximise the range of electric cars - blanket 50mph limit on main roads of all kinds motorways included.

Want to increase their range around town? 20mph limit, make them under 500kg.

Expectations are the problem. We all still want a 2000kg SUV that tanks along at 100mph, in electric. With 300 mile range and a cherry on top please.

16/07/2019 10:26:07

If it helps to know, I fly 12 minutes on an wot 4 sized electric aerobat, take off weight 4.75lb. That's 12 minutes of aerobatics not just stooging. Comes down still 25% full. Spec the power train correctly, it can be done.

Thread: FliteTest Legacy
15/07/2019 23:18:25

I've found a breadsaw works quite well for clearing the folded over areas.

One motor or two?

15/07/2019 16:44:04

I'd also point out that

"3 similar electrically powered models and a dozen (or more) pre-charged batteries "

is actually quite convenient.

And if you want a mix of sizes, then 5 lipos for each one, or something like that, that's very convenient too.

"How much does glow fuel cost these days? "

weston 5% prosynth, 4 gallons to your door, £60

Edited By Nigel R on 15/07/2019 16:46:34

Thread: Sukhoi SU-26
15/07/2019 16:35:23

It'll be relevant at landing devil

But yes, that is a big fuselage on the 26 and will soak up a fair bit of power being dragged through the air.

15/07/2019 14:49:22

Manual says 780 square inches of wing, and 10lbs weight... 40cc should be "spirited" !

It's looking good, anyway yes

15/07/2019 14:39:09

"When I can fly my Wot4, for example, for up to 25 minutes on a battery"

you really fly a wot4 for 25 minutes?

how big a tank does that need?

Thread: Building from plans - wing ribs?
15/07/2019 13:22:17

I don't really like the sandwich method.

So I completely ignore the wing section on the plan and instead use a wing design program (DevWing), I can tell the program the root size, tip size, rib positions, spar position, LE/TE and all that, and get a very accurate set of templates, to stick direct to the wood, for each rib.

It seems to take about as long to do it that way as it does to do the sandwich method.

Thread: Newbie with some starter trainer plane balsa IC questions please.
15/07/2019 10:57:45

"I am guessing the heads are ally with a steel thread on the glow plug?"

quite so.

with a copper washer - which should tell you everything about the required torque

I would expect the plug with the AX to be an OS #8.

Edited By Nigel R on 15/07/2019 11:00:29

Thread: ESC only works when increasing the throttle very slowly
15/07/2019 10:38:28

"PS I have the same issue but no where near as bad with a ESC if I snap the throttle open (not yet sorted so interested what you find)."

As do I.

Once spinning, it is never a problem, so whilst airbourne and travelling, it never happens. As it is not fitted to a 3d type where airspeed could drop to zero, I am not minded to dig further.

I have put it down to the motor/esc combination; for whatever reason the esc cannot ramp up the motor speed, from a dead stop, with the prop load as is. Perhaps it is due to some parameter of the startup mode in the ESC. The only thing we can usually tinker with is the timing figure, and in my case that did not affect startup.

One fix for this scenario could be to program low throttle trim to be the very lowest amount needed to keep the prop turning, and use the the throttle cut switch to stop it completely.

15/07/2019 09:11:00

A bad joint is not necessarily visible to the naked eye, all the connections could well "look" ok.

The other possibility that comes to mind is that the ESC timing is or has become set incorrectly, for the given motor.

Thread: Droning on at the F1...
14/07/2019 23:25:54

Alternatively, existing laws perfectly adequate to stop miscreants.

Thread: Which Servo Sould I Use?
13/07/2019 19:35:51

Must admit my fix would be two snakes and servos in the wing saddle.

I'd go with hitec 225 rather than the 81 or 85 though.

12/07/2019 13:01:51

I think that's a fundamentally different problem there Don. You're talking about readjusting the aspirations that have been sold to all and sundry, and how a large shiny bauble can show off how much of those aspirations have been achieved. I kid ye not, overheard recently, the comment "I used to think you'd made it in life when you had an Audi parked on the drive" - this made over the replacement vehicle, an Evoque. That's the problem that needs fixing, the expectations that in every life will be a garden full of rainbows and unicorns, and rewards fit for a king. Rather than admiring the nice lawn that's already there.

Back to the practical, it would help if all the 2000kg baubles were actually 500kg, stop-start town driving would use far less energy.

But. A far worse problem, because of low turnover, is the massively inefficient housing stock we live in. In ancient Greece, they built South facing, everywhere - take advantage of the sun in winter, shade them in summer. Here, there, and everywhere, just plonk them in and patch up the heat problem with a fossil fuel boiler. Anything remotely designed to use the sun is "an eco house", a special case, an exception to be examined, and, something you can charge extra cash for. Not simply "a good house, built right".

And if you think our houses are bad, try the US...

Thread: Ebay sellers...
12/07/2019 09:55:13

I don't think ebay is any more or less full of bad stuff compared to a number of years ago.

There are always some good bargains on there.

Thread: Newbie with some starter trainer plane balsa IC questions please.
12/07/2019 09:21:42

"I do have a metal workbench but was thinking of adding a trestled board set up as well. any thoughts please."

You can always go large later - for now, just pop a piece of 1/2" plasterboard on the bench; it will stop anything gluey getting to the workbench, and takes pins very well.

"Glues"

a pack of 5 min epoxy would complete your set, I think. I use cyano and PVA in the main, epoxy gets occasional use on awkward materials or joints that may need a little gap filling for whatever reason.

"Is there anything that absolutely should be in my arsenal please"

steel rule, 12"

scalpel, or , x-acto (or similar) knife, either are good for balsa, I prefer the x-acto,

sanding blocks. A coarse and fine block is essential. I use 9" x 2" pieces of 3/4" MDF, with 80 grit and 180 grit glued to it. At the end of the build, some 180 grit in the hand is useful. Some 180 grit on neoprene on an MDF block is also handy. For odd corners and slots you can just glue bits of paper to appropriate size/shape bits of hard balsa.

You will likely want a razor plane at some stage, but probably not for this kit trainer build.

"covering"

hobbyking iron on film, its the best value film out there; you will want a covering iron to go with it... you can use a household iron, but they are a bit clumsy.

some sort of fuel proofer for the engine and tank area. thinned epoxy resin is used by many on here.

lastly, a small beer fridge and something to go in it, you'll be in the man cave for a working week or two!

Edited By Nigel R on 12/07/2019 09:23:48

12/07/2019 08:51:56

80% of existing, current, right now, electric car owners.

Not 80% of all private car owners.

There's an obvious self selection in the first group, for whom charge-on-the-drive is practical.

Yes, electric motorbikes are not cheap. But, electric mopeds, a.k.a. ebikes, can be.

Thread: Never throw anything away!
11/07/2019 16:17:05

they do, but they're not that bad, its a click or two at most in my experience

any effects of expansion can be minimised by using a nice big control horn and a long servo arm

11/07/2019 15:49:09

Keith, the switch to electric with private cars is not entirely about reducing demand on the supply, in part it serves to remove a lot of pollution from inner cities. The long term dream is of course that the electricity will come from renewable sources and thus not depend on digging up squashed dinosaurs from under unstable nation's soil.

Somewhere along the line, I agree, we will probably need to accept that cars will need to be more economical, likely smaller and slower.

The cynic in me says we'll end up depending on solar panels that can only be constructed using some rare earth mineral found only in a different set of unstable nations...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
CML
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us