By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel R

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel R has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Problem with air in fuel line. Pulse xt40
30/07/2019 23:36:21

Ideally they do not touch. You may get away with it, if they do, etc.

A sintered filter clunk may well be a reasonable workaround. Definitely worth a shot before surgery.

Thread: Electric powering a Biplane or twin
30/07/2019 23:24:16

Short answer, no difference.

Longer answer, biplane drag will affect top speed much more than anything such as climb rate.

For a twin, power loading is power loading regardless of number of motors. Consider, two motors belt driving one prop.

Thread: Model Recommendation
30/07/2019 15:59:52

Does it have to be conventional layout ?

A simple delta from foamboard of about 20" span would work well for that size lipo.

Thread: Servo Torque guide - Sport Flying (electric)
28/07/2019 19:19:59

More than man enough for a sport model of that size. As already said the forces in the controls are not that great.

Even assuming the rudder servo was stalled the current demand on a 322 is around 1.5a (I believe - worth checking in hitec website). N kit enough to challenge a functioning SBEC.

As you say if the SBEC failed the signal to the motor would have been lost and it would not have been running.

Without further info I would have to guess at pilot error...

Thread: Electric Cars.
27/07/2019 22:22:19

Frank

You've missed the grid transmission efficiency and battery charging efficiency.

I've read that the oil we use in our cars, as much is used again to get it there. I'm unsure how accurate that is though.

Thread: Oracover Easycover Sold As Seconds
27/07/2019 22:14:14

I've had some sagging on a model covered with HK film when it has been in the car boot in a hot day. Less so than solarfilm however.

Solarfilm did not melt if you shrunk it with the iron set to medium. It also wrinkled less when not exposed to excess heat (easy to do with a heat gun). Moot point now though.

Thread: SIG Kadet LT-40 Build - My first proper build!
23/07/2019 23:12:43

What Don said.

I would add. The trainer is a moped. The warbird, a fireblade.

The moped should be cheap, simple, easy, and teach you the ropes. Make it like the instructions say. It is s tool to teach you the game.

Plenty of scope for building how you want later in the game.

By the time you are ready to ride the fireblade, you will know whether you still want the fireblade - or if maybe you actually want a blackbird instead now you know your mind better.

23/07/2019 06:54:40

Agree with Alan and Don.

Torque rods work prefectly well.

I will use them over a two servo install as I find they are quicker and easier than doing two servos. As Alan says the benefits of sticking in two servos are not that actually that beneficial for most models. There are exceptions of course but a trainer is not one of them.

Thread: FliteTest Legacy
20/07/2019 13:48:40

Good to know the foamboard is resilient to a moderate iron.

Pictures of the finished article please!

Thread: ASP etc gone
20/07/2019 07:46:19

see the 'stockpiling' thread...

what about, new in box irvine 39?

link - being sold on ebay here

Thread: Shipping Lipos to Australia
19/07/2019 12:54:47

For aircraft, discharge to 30% or below, and, there's a bunch of rules about how you are supposed to mark them up. I forget now where you can find them, but the regulations are on the internet somewhere. There's a "maximum per package" limitation as well.

Not sure if any of that applies to water bourne shipping.

Thread: SIG Kadet LT-40 Build - My first proper build!
19/07/2019 12:25:50

"And cyno glue is not your friend until you cease to make errors"

cyano effectiveness, in order:

1) your fingers

2) the bottle

3) the workbench

4) the thing you've just picked up after putting the bottle down without realising you got it on your fingers

5) anything you are wearing

6) wood

extraordinary care must be taken to avoid #1 - #5 every time it is used on #6.

also, fumes are really, really bad for the lungs

alliphatic or pva are much more human friendly

Thread: Stockpiling
19/07/2019 10:07:17

"I upset a chap the other day by saying that i was unable to offer him a spare part for his engine as it was discontinued the year i was born and we no longer support it. Apparently i was being rude and unhelpful, "

Perhaps the word you need is "child" not "chap", as it seems you were on the end of a small tantrum.

19/07/2019 10:05:55

He sounds an ideal user of electric motive power Denis. A standard bearer, even.

Thread: Newbie with some starter trainer plane balsa IC questions please.
19/07/2019 10:01:44

Good stuff.

Thread: Think I've been spammed!
18/07/2019 10:03:44

"If an item is to be collected I always say cash on collection, but this is not always observed."

Must admit, my take if that happens -

Refund via paypal.

Reassert "apologies, but, my policy here is cash on collection."

If they object, something is amiss, walk away.

Thread: Design & Build Sport Twin
18/07/2019 06:57:14

Fin and rudder are done so time for Some more carving at the back of the fuselage:

20190716_225318.jpg

And made a start on installing the servos:

20190717_230702.jpg

17/07/2019 16:32:48

"100% IC" in this case meaning "powered only by IC" I would guess.

Thread: Dave Smith Models 'Saphir' plan wanted
17/07/2019 16:17:56

Plans for Matt's original are on the HPA site

**LINK**

They differ quite significantly from the DSM version, if I remember right the DSM fuselage was much simplified.

17/07/2019 11:28:34

"The last time I was in that position was with my OS61SF powered Tornado that would just manage 7 minutes with reserve for ONE go-around."

Must have been a small tank in there!? IIRC a 12oz would easily do a 10 minute flight with plenty to spare on the SF. I might be wrong - it's been a long while since I've flown an SF in anger.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us