By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon Feather

Here is a list of all the postings Simon Feather has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Waterproof glue
08/07/2019 11:38:25

I seem to remember from my very early modelling days (mid 70s) that Cascamite was the glue of choice for building model boats - powder mixed with water to activate it. It's still available....

Thread: Who said it would never happen in our lifetime
20/06/2019 10:50:33

Here you go: this is what powers the Alice, and suitable for retro-fitting to Otters and Beavers, they say, for ranges up to 1000 miles.**LINK**

Thread: TomBoy 48" kit
30/05/2019 11:59:04

remember this other Tomboy thread....

**LINK**

Thread: Suitable caption?
15/05/2019 18:49:11

Attack of the Drones!

(with apologies to George Lucas)

Thread: FLOUREONŽ Lipos
15/04/2019 11:37:07

Nigel - Oh yes, mea culpa, sorry! insufficient attention to detail juggling this whilst working.... Sorry!

15/04/2019 10:36:30

I have some Floureon 3S 2200s which have outlasted all my Turnigy 3S batteries. and by a considerable margin. Over 4 years old now, and absolutely no sign of puffing, they have probably been used hundreds of times. Mine came from Amazon originally, and I see Amazon are currently selling two Floureon 3s 35C 2200s for £25.99 with free delivery, but there's a checkbox to say "apply voucher" which will give you £2 off that.

Thread: Burn Crispy Aviators
09/04/2019 11:04:53

The app is well worth having on your phone - I do - so that if you need the emergency services in the middle of a field you don't have to try and describe how you got there, just say "here I am". It's already saved lives apparently.

Just in front of our flightline is Flown.Mile.Grass.

Very appropriate!

Simon

Thread: Square Rx 4.8v batts.
03/04/2019 18:08:50

an alternative, if space is tight or of an awkward shape, is to use a BEC with small Lipo - perhaps worth considering. I've done this, not so far to replace a flight battery, but using a 2s Lipo and a Hobbyking BEC to power electric retracts separately to using flight battery juice. This installation can be very compact.

Thread: Batt, problem mobile drill
13/02/2019 12:30:50

I had a similar problem with a Bosch cordless drill, battery pack stopped accepting charge. Bosch replacements were silly money, no-name replacements from Fleabay were a bit better; but simplest solution was to take the battery out of the plastic case and retrofit the battery case with an XT60 plug; now it's much more powerful than before when driven off an old non-flightworthy 3S 2200.

Thread: Film covering to repair "alumium" Mustang wing
06/02/2019 17:43:44

Steve - I have some of the "silver" HK film. They do two versions, so watch out if you do order that... one has a brushed finish, and so one needs to ensure the brushing marks go the "right" way if you use it. I've used the non-brushed finish on the Skywriter I built:20180404_174941.jpg

Impossible of course to tell from the picture whether this will match or not, but I'm happy to send you some samples for colour matching if you like to PM me.

regards

Simon

Thread: Hurricane - 303 Movie Due For Imminent Release
04/02/2019 21:56:10

Hear hear Colin. I merely pointed out that the film is now available. It tells a story - how accurately I am not in a position to tell, and my personal opinion was that much of it looked as though it might have filmed against green screen as there was a lot of "flatness" in some of the imagery. But I am no expert, so I can't tell - I do know that some of it appeared rough around the edges which one has come not to expect from modern CGI. Perhaps it was lower budget than recent blockbusters.

Some of the shots do show very clearly how weathered and battle-worn the aircraft were, not like our pristine showroom models.

It tells a valuable and little-known story, whatever its shortcomings in our "expert" eyes. Watch it - or not - in the spirit it was intended and with an uncritical eye on the flying scenes.

Simon

04/02/2019 10:53:03

You may like to know that this film "Hurricane", about Polish squadron 303 is now available on Netflix if you have access to that.

I watched it the other day - many of the flying scenes look a bit fake, unfortunate in these days of high quality CGI; but it's good that the story has been told. As noted above by FilmBuff - it's a drama, not a documentary. Some nice static shots of planes on the ground. I did feel it left a lot of "joining the dots" for the viewer to do.

regards

Simon

Thread: Drilling ply/balsa
04/02/2019 10:04:20

For balsa and soft ply (i.e. liteply) , a piece of brass tubing of the right diameter, sharpened on the inside (needle file or conical grinder on your dremel) works brilliantly and makes a very clean hole, as it's cutting not drilling. Run it slowly and clamp your work to a sacrificial backing for a clean exit cut.

Simon

Thread: Spektrum AR 620
27/01/2019 12:10:40

Bruce - I have! Summary: very impressed.

Look at my thread here:

**LINK**

best regards

Simon

Thread: U/C LIGHTS
18/12/2018 15:21:36

Chris, Hobbyking do several receiver controlled switches eg. this for under a fiver: **LINK**; plug that into your aux channel, and your lights into its output, then assuming your receiver is capable, set up a mix retract channel -> aux channel; play around with the settings a bit and you should be able to get the lights to come on reliably as the wheels go down. Job done!

Thread: Spektrum AR620
16/12/2018 18:13:16

Reporting back....

I have now tried the one I bought last week from Leeds Models, and I have to say I'm quite impressed. I positioned it centrally in a vintage sport model (a Precedent Lo-boy), with an OS 46AX up front, a 9oz tank and a 6v Eneloop flight battery just behind the tank.

When doing the range test, I asked a helper to hold the model at such an angle that the engine block, the (full) fuel tank and battery were all blocking the direct line of sight to the transmitter (a DX8 G2).

At over 40 paces, with my back to the model (so the signal had to get through me too) there was no sign of any glitching or anything other than normal operation. We didn't find any issues with any other orientation either.

So I was more than happy to fly that model, and have just returned from flying it almost exclusively all day with no radio issues whatsoever. Unfortunately I didn't manage to remember to note if the telemetry had recorded any holds or fades, but there certainly were no glitches!

I'll definitely be getting more of these receivers, certainly for the smaller models. Not having to worry about antenna placement is a bonus.

Hopefully this will concur with Mr Ashby's review when he does it for the mag.

Simon

Thread: Ebay sellers...
11/12/2018 10:11:32

Here's a bargain for you: a new AR610 for only £76.87. Postage is free though.

**LINK**

Doesn't need batteries. Apparently.

and the number of "puzzle pieces" is 1...

Thread: Spektrum AR620
11/12/2018 09:47:23

Hi there, has anyone tried one of these new internal-antenna Spektrum receivers yet?

I picked one up yesterday from Leeds Models. Clearly with the antenna purely inside the case there is a possibility of signal blockage if there are large lumps of metal or batteries up front. It claims to be full-range, and presumably Spektrum have tested stuff like that...

I've not tried mine yet, but will do lots of ground based range checks before I risk flying it, and will report back with my findings

Simon

Thread: Ebay sellers...
21/11/2018 14:36:07

This has got to be a fake:

**LINK**

Thread: Ammo box
16/11/2018 11:57:20

I second (third?) the views about ammo boxes, great things; just be careful when shutting the lid that you haven't trapped any of the battery leads....

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Revoc
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us