By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for BackinBlack

Here is a list of all the postings BackinBlack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RPM Conundrum
10/06/2019 12:45:57

+/- 2.5%, not bad when you consider all the manufacturing, calibration and process variables.

Propeller

Motor

ESC

Wiring

Connectors

Batteries

Rx conversion/processing

Tx calibration/processing

Thread: Lil Cub
15/05/2019 21:20:00

It will be next on my building bench, which will be clear in about a week. A kit from Sarik would help in getting it in the air a little sooner.

Thread: CAA registration consulation
27/04/2019 12:26:13

David and Percy, I agree with what you say, but it does not change the inept way in which Regulation has come about.

I shall, like many others here I suspect, when the time comes register and pay my dues. I would like to think that we shall see more prosecutions for the unregistered or illegal use of drones as a consequence. I have my doubts though.

27/04/2019 11:59:33

I still find a degree of confusion in the terminology used in the Consultation document and response form. In responding to the Consultation we are asked to choose from a list where our interests lie, this acknowledges a differentiation between drones and model aircraft. The next question asks if we own a drone, Yes or No? Are they now including model aircraft or not?

From the Consultation document -

There will be no charge for remote pilots to take the required test, thereby, encouraging remote pilots to educate themselves (our research has shown that 85% of remote pilots are also drone operators);

If drones includes model aircraft what are the other 15% piloting? Or do 85% of model aircraft pilots really pilot multirotor drones?

This whole process is a farce where related to flying model aeroplanes, helicopters and multi rotor devices as a hobby/pastime. The irresponsible, unwitting or deliberate misuse of "Drones" has brought about this situation and deserves control, but not at a cost to the majority of responsible, law abiding model aircraft flyers.

The previous provisions of the ANO and CAPs relating to remote operated model aircraft and multirotor drones were, if followed, adequate to assure safety. They were never effectively policed or enforced and there is no indication that the new Regulations will be, so how have we progressed?

Regulation of commercial Drone operations is a different matter.

Thread: Variable resistors
18/04/2019 12:02:43
Posted by Doc Marten on 18/04/2019 10:04:34:

I like that idea but I'd rather have the convenience to select the power by a rotary switch rather than have to plug in/unplug leads to different outlets to select, could this be done using a rotary stepped dial switch with the resistors soldered to the pins? is there such a switch available?

Reliable low voltage DC, high current switches are almost as rare as the potentiometers.

I would ask how often do you need to adjust the current?

Chris' suggestion looks worth a try and would work with a 1 or 2s Lipo, 6 or 12V lead acid gel battery as well. There are quite a few others in the links below Chris' suggestion in that large River place.

But, as peter suggests the NiMh solution is the simplest and based on my use of NiMh glow sticks is as simple and reliable as it gets.

Edited By BackinBlack on 18/04/2019 12:04:35

18/04/2019 09:56:26

Forget variable resistors, unless you can find a 1 ohm 10 watt wirewound, a rare and expensive item. The paralleled resistor idea will not really work with the value of variable resistor you have.

You need fractional ohm resistors. For instance if your Cyclon is fully charged at 2.2V and the plug is rated at 1.5 volts 2 amps the resistance needed is (using V=IR, R=V/I) .7V/2 = 0.35ohms at 3 amps it would be .7/3 = 0.23 ohms. As the cyclon discharges at 1.9 volts, say 0.4/2 = 0.2 ohms.

Best answer is is to get four 0.1 ohm 2 or 3 Watt resistors, five banana plug sockets and wire the resistors from one socket to the next with supply from the cyclon at one end, you then have 0, 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 and 0.4 ohms available depending on which socket you use. No switches, just simple and reliable.

Thread: Prostate Cancer
08/04/2019 14:46:49
Posted by Glyn44 on 08/04/2019 07:33:38:
Posted by BackinBlack on 07/04/2019 19:38:23:

Just a year since I was diagnosed with stage 2/3 Prostate Cancer. I had had regular "finger" examinations, up to about 3 years ago as I had for some time had a need to get up during the night for a pee. Findings were only of a slightly enlarged Prostate, no need to worry. Need to get up during the night increased to 2 sometimes 3 times, mentioned this to doctor, PSA test followed immediately which showed significantly raised PSA levels. Immediate referral to Urology department at Churchill Hospital Oxford. MRI and Multipoint biopsy followed quickly, then offered either surgery or radiotherapy plus hormone treatment. I chose surgery, 4.5 hour keyhole surgery, home next day a few weeks recuperation and almost back to normal. 8 Weeks from referral to Surgery, can't praise the Churchill team enough, they were brilliant.

A year on and all is clear.

If you're over 50 PSA tests are available on demand, so if in doubt get tested, it's only a simple blood test and might avoid the consequences of Prostate Cancer.

Ian

I am, as of last Friday, at this stage. Now awaiting a bone scan to ensure the C hasn’t spread. It goes into bones apparently. I’m told that if that is clear, then I get the hormone plus radiation treatment (every day for 4 to 7 weeks)

i haven’t been offered the keyhole surgery option. Do you think I should query that? The consultant mentioned that 1 in 8 men will suffer this, so yea get checked. Early is good.

Sorry to hear that. The positive thing is that you have been diagnosed.

I can only repeat the information given to me and can offer no advice except for people to get checked out at the first signs of anything untoward.

The Oncologist I saw explained that in my case the hormone treatment would have been carried out first for a period of 4-6 months, then radiation treatment every day for 4-6 weeks, then further hormone therapy for up to 9 months.

I felt that for me surgery was less disruptive.

It is well worth looking through the MacMillan Leaflets explaining the surgery and radiation procedures and their respective benefits and downsides.

07/04/2019 19:38:23

Just a year since I was diagnosed with stage 2/3 Prostate Cancer. I had had regular "finger" examinations, up to about 3 years ago as I had for some time had a need to get up during the night for a pee. Findings were only of a slightly enlarged Prostate, no need to worry. Need to get up during the night increased to 2 sometimes 3 times, mentioned this to doctor, PSA test followed immediately which showed significantly raised PSA levels. Immediate referral to Urology department at Churchill Hospital Oxford. MRI and Multipoint biopsy followed quickly, then offered either surgery or radiotherapy plus hormone treatment. I chose surgery, 4.5 hour keyhole surgery, home next day a few weeks recuperation and almost back to normal. 8 Weeks from referral to Surgery, can't praise the Churchill team enough, they were brilliant.

A year on and all is clear.

If you're over 50 PSA tests are available on demand, so if in doubt get tested, it's only a simple blood test and might avoid the consequences of Prostate Cancer.

Ian

Thread: DX9 problems
27/02/2019 19:52:15

UK service agent is Al's Hobbies. Helpful people. Als Hobbies

Edited By BackinBlack on 27/02/2019 19:53:02

Thread: Programming AR636A
20/02/2019 20:03:54

Hi Mike, I think you may have to persevere with registering the receiver. I have several AR636 Rxs and had to download a new sprmx file for each one as the files appear to be locked to one serial number.

Good Luck

Ian

Thread: Chisel Headed Scalples
25/01/2019 17:59:20

See Here:

Scalpels and Blades.

Ian

Thread: World Models Pilatus Porter P6
21/01/2019 18:30:17

I gave up on cheap clamps, as you have found they fly apart. I now use those from Wilkinson hardware stores, they come in 3 sizes and work well.

Old fashioned "Bulldog" and spring type paper clips are also very useful, almost too many sizes to choose from.

Ian

Edited By BackinBlack on 21/01/2019 18:33:03

12/01/2019 12:31:43
Posted by Dad_flyer on 11/01/2019 19:20:11:
Re lipo postage: backinblack shows what I have seen when looking, no lipo allowed - for individuals via the post office. However patmc gives 'account customer' rules which say yes. So whether you can send lipo depends whether you send enough for an account, which is probably enough for direct collection from the sender.

I can only think that the differentiation between private and account customers is only to identify a bona fide sender.

11/01/2019 10:10:49

Not the first time I've seen LiPoly batteries incorrectly described.

Whether it's a deliberate act to circumvent the postal regulations I cannot comment, however under Parcelforce and Royal Mail Ts & Cs the carriage of any new Lithium batteries not connected or part of an electronic device is not allowed

Extract from Ts & Cs on Parcelforce website on what may be sent:

Batteries, specifically new and used lithium batteries when not sent with or connected to an electronic device. No No
Thread: Laminating
10/01/2019 21:13:37

I use a method that was described in an early 80s issue of Radio Modeller which has proven to make strong and reliable laminated sections ever since.

The joint surfaces of the parts to be laminated are brushed with a thin coat 70/30 PVA/water mix and allowed to dry thoroughly. When dry bring the parts together in their final position and apply a domestic iron preheated to "cotton heat" for a minute or so. As the PVA is heat sensitive it will form an excellent bond and the iron being flat will hold the lamination flat.

I have some models that have used this laminating method for fuselage formers that date from the 80s which are still structurally sound. I have even used this method with thin ply sheet place of fibreglass bandages for wing joining, far neater and stronger.

Thread: Aeroloop model retriever
05/01/2019 18:04:59

why not just use a carbon fibre fishing pole with a cord loop attached to the end, probably cheaper.

Edited By BackinBlack on 05/01/2019 18:10:22

Thread: New Tv. It's Good But...........
03/01/2019 14:05:20

4G interference is becoming a more common problem on SD channels.

There are solutions, see here:

**LINK**

Thread: BMFA mag's going a bit over the top?
09/12/2018 14:11:38
Posted by Erfolg on 09/12/2018 11:24:52:

Although I did not make the connection that the Magazine Label list and the new membership Portal were one in the same thing, from reading the magazine I should have twigged it.

In reality it looks like the BMFA have created a new relational data base, with a number of front ends (windows) for the different users. These probably range from Internal management, membership payments, club official access, magazine address list, and so on.

I am guessing that provision will have been made for head office to undertake queries. These could be as varied as members per area, clubs, types of clubs.

If I am correct, the issues with a few names, pales into insignificance compared to the task that has been achieved, with little or no fanfare. I am guessing that the cost or investment has been low, as is a necessity for a business with +30,000 people.

As an aside I have used the new club portal (window) and have found it (so far) very intuitive, accessing via tiles, allowing specific fields to be amended, without being a current IT guru. Great for an old numpty with no current knowledge at all, that is me. For those of us who see IT as a tool, rather than a intellectual pursuit, it cuts the mustard.

I can see the this new data base being used for trials of providing the mag on line in the not to distant future. As with everything, nothing stays the same.

Edited By Erfolg on 09/12/2018 11:27:50

Well said, I wholeheartedly agree. Praise where praise is due

I see that the magazine is already available online, but not the December issue yet. It's under the BMFA tab as BMFA News Magazine.

Thread: Home Insurance
07/12/2018 08:50:56

Damn, I stand corrected. I should have known to thoroughly read ALL the document.

I wonder how other model engineers, say those who build steam locos, do for insurance?

06/12/2018 18:56:22

Perhaps it could be an add-on to the BMFA or LMA Insurances?

I suppose that from an Insurance Assessors pint of view establishing the cause of loss or damage would be a consideration, fire or theft should be straightforward, but accidental damage might prove contentious.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us