By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Timo Starkloff

Here is a list of all the postings Timo Starkloff has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1/12 Messerschmitt Bf 109
24/02/2020 20:43:48

The 109 Hs are ready for rc installation (something I would be happy for the Whirlwind). After a while I even got used to the unusual looks. Weight is at 272 and 275 grams each.

m032.jpg

m033.jpg

m034.jpg

m035.jpeg

24/02/2020 20:38:00

The black V48 got a bat as mascot, the white G12 a penguin. For the new Hs a crow and owl is planned. You need luck in combat flying. After some years of flying planes without names I have to restart that tradition. I had my biggest success with a Blackburn Firebrand called "Nightmare" with a small friendly ghost painted on the fuselage.

The white G12 weighs about 725 grams with a 3S3000 accumulator, the lowest weight I ever achived for a 1/12 109 and it flies absolutely fine.

m030.jpg

m031.jpg

m029.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 24/02/2020 20:39:52

24/02/2020 20:31:48

About time for a little update! Beneath working on the Whirlwind I made small but constant progress on the two new 109s. And the black V48 is repaired and flying again. The new contest season starts in March and the fighters have to be ready.

I made a succesful flight with a self-built spinner (another first for me), part 3d printed by my brother, part vacuum formed. A new version is made from glassfibre but not tested yet.

Timo

m026.jpg

m027.jpg

m028.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 24/02/2020 20:32:25

24/02/2020 20:31:03

About time for a little update! Beneath working on the Whirlwind I made small but constant progress on the two new 109s. And the black V48 is repaired and flying again. The new contest season starts in March and the fighters have to be ready.

I made a succesful flight with a self-built spinner, part 3d printed by my brother, part vacuum formed. A new version is made from glassfibre but not tested yet.

Timo

m026.jpg

m027.jpg

m028.jpg

Thread: 1/6 Westland Whirlwind
19/02/2020 19:30:43

Back to the model! A week ago I had a nice meeting with Andreas. He started the idea of a big twin-engine. He's building the Junkers 88 and sometimes regrets that because of the huge size of 3 metres. But now it's getting really exciting, comparing both models and thinking about formation flights

Timo

c011.jpg

c012.jpg

c013.jpg

c014.jpg

07/02/2020 21:19:31

Of course projects like these need logistical and financial support. If you like to see a real Whirlwind in a museum again, maybe you can help! Here are two links to Chris websites:

www.whirlwindfighterproject.co.uk/

www.facebook.com/merlinai57/

wfp_001.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 07/02/2020 21:20:01

07/02/2020 21:14:16

wfp_01.jpg

wfp_02.jpg

wfp_03.jpg

wfp_04.jpg

wfp_05.jpg

Rear fuselage on jig at AA

wfp_06.jpg

Whirlwinds at Westland

wfp_07.jpg

This is the one we are building, P7056

wfp_08.jpg

wfp_09.jpg

wfp_010.jpg

wfp_011.jpg

263 Squadron

Copyright Whirlwind Fighter Project

07/02/2020 21:02:14

Apologies for not posting Chris Haywards information yet. Busy times actually.

As posted before, he provided me with the story of the Whirlwind Fighter Project together with many pictures. In return I will write a short text about my model for his newsletter

Chris Hayward, Westland Fighter Project:

"I suppose the best way to define this project is by starting at the very beginning so if you’re sitting comfortably then I shall begin.

About seven years ago, during a discussion on the old Flypast forum between Mike Eastman and Matt Bearman the idea was raised about building a full sized replica of the forgotten Westland Whirlwind Fighter, if like me you were raised on Airfix kits then it was the only model of the Whirly available at that time and seemed to stick in the memory of men of a certain age.

Mike and Matt decided that it was quite possible to construct the airframe but what plans were available and could it be done with CAD?

Westland Aircraft were approached and appreciated that this time the build was serious having been asked by different parties in the past which had come to nothing. Unfortunately, they had very few plans left after suffering a flood at Yeovil some years previously, but they let us have those that survived.

During further conversations on the forum, Gunnar Olsen who lived in Norway, said that he had been working on a CAD breakdown of the airframe and structure, so now a way forward had been found.

Working from plans drawn up by Gunnar, Mike cut and formed the first frames that had been done for a Whirlwind in eighty years or so.

We had decided to start with the rear fuselage from frame 10 back to the start of the tail fin. This was where we came across our first stumbling block, this was frame ten itself, which was beyond Mike to complete as it was extremely difficult to form. Well there is another person who was also a Whirlwind fanatic, having dug up what was left of P6966 in Scotland many years ago, so enter Steve Vizard of Airframe Assemblies, they took on the construction of frame 10 and also the Tail spar.

Having completed the frames our luck seemed to run out as Mike was taken ill and the plan to construct the rest of the Airframe at Fishburn Airfield in Durham had to be abandoned due to problems with the airfield landlords. So the project went into hibernation for a couple of years, we were still collecting parts and information and Gunnar was still working on the CAD .

Eventually we found a way forward and approached Airframe Assemblies to complete the airframe as and when we were able to raise the funds to complete each stage as we went along.

We are now at the stage of completing the rear fuselage which is being skinned now and then we need to raise the funds to complete the cockpit section. The original idea was to finish off the tail section but in a unexpected twist to the story, The Battle of Britain Museum Trust at Hawkinge offered to give P7056 a home and thought that we should raise more interest and money if the cockip section was complete so that the public could sit in it.

The plan is to get the fuselage to Hawkinge this year in time for its opening for the 2020 season. This will be an ongoing display as the airframe is assembled on site, that way the public can understand the design and structure of this advanced fighter.

1) at its time the Whirlwind was faster than a Mk1 Spiffire.

2) the RAF’s first canon armed twin engined Fighter/Bomber.

3) the first with bubble canopy.

4) first with fowler flaps

5) retractable tail wheel.

Luckilly they changed the exhaust from exiting next to the fuel tanks.

The project now has a fully functioning website at whirlwindfighterproject.co.uk and a proper membership structure through which members can join or just donate.

That’s the story in a nut shell, I have included some Photographs from WW2 below."

07/02/2020 20:51:42

Small but important progress! I bought an infrared spotlight and made some tests vacuum forming bigger canopies for Whirlwind and Hayabusa. Before I used an electro grill which was only suitable for small parts. Result was perfect and the raw canopies fit perfectly to the fuselages. In return I used the canopies to refine the molds. After applying the canopy frame I will make the final canopy

Regards, Timo

img_4768.jpg

img_4774.jpg

img_4770.jpg

img_4769.jpg

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 07/02/2020 20:52:59

Thread: Sq. Ldr. Paul Farne
30/01/2020 21:05:09

Sad to hear that

Interesting story about him:

https://www.hurricane501.co.uk/501-squadron-pilots-complete-list/farnes-paul-dfm/

**LINK**

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 30/01/2020 21:05:30

Thread: Druine D.31 Turbulent
26/01/2020 08:27:48

Finally plans and article are published in the German FMT

Timo

2205a9e5-0e12-4f72-9173-7e6dc19f7313.jpeg

12/01/2020 20:52:23

Pictures

k007.jpg

k008.jpg

l032.jpg

l033.jpg

r038.jpg

r039.jpg

12/01/2020 20:49:12

Nearly there for covering the first parts, yes. But many items on the list afterwards with much equipment on board!

More work done on the tail. Starts looking very good now

A small job is the camera and empty shell housing below the wing. Maybe I attach them with magnets for easier transport.

And during marking the canopy model I recognised a mistake at the front. Not too late for changes so I added some filler.

Timo

PS: I got some information from Chris Hayward concerning the "Whirlwind Figher Project" for rebuilding a 1:1 plane for museum. I prepare his informations and pictures and publish them the next days. Exciting story!

http://www.whirlwindfighterproject.co.uk/

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 12/01/2020 20:59:44

Edited By Timo Starkloff on 12/01/2020 21:00:29

30/12/2019 14:55:03

Another great book and part of the Whirlwind story, the autobiography from Harald Penrose, test pilot at Westland Aircraft. Once again writtenvery nice in his unique style and full of exciting stories. Another small story about flying the Whirlwind I found in the book "Dangerous skys" from A. E. Clouston.

Best wishes and a Happy New Year to everyone,
Timo

p030.jpg

30/12/2019 14:50:40

Time to put everything together again

Not easy to build the Whirlwind, but it is a great looking design from Teddy Petter!

c008.jpg

c009.jpg

c010.jpg

30/12/2019 14:47:59

It took quiet some time to measure all important angles and glue in the elevator tubes.

l028.jpg

l029.jpg

l030.jpg

l031.jpg

30/12/2019 14:45:56

Hello Alan, post a picture of your Whirlwind when it's painted! The Lysander is interesting, too. I once saw it flying at Old Warden.

I worked further on wings and tail. Ailerons are easy and accurate to cut out with a sharp knife first, and then the ribs with a Japanese saw.

f064.jpg

f061.jpg

f062.jpg

f063.jpg

f065.jpg

Thread: Veron Avro 504N
23/12/2019 18:04:43

Nice one

I never took notice of the 504 until I saw one flying at Old Warden. Very manouverable!

Timo

Thread: The Few Are One Fewer
10/12/2019 20:30:19

Thanks for the link, David. The generation of soldiers (understandably) didn't talk much about those times, it seems it was the same in Britain as in Germany. But their kids were old enough and fully aware of what was happening during and after WWII and they speak quiet frankly about their experiences. One has to talk with them as long as they are here to tell their stories. Many interesting things to hear, especially when they come from different countries.

Best wishes from Germany,
Timo

10/12/2019 20:23:08

f058.jpg

f059.jpg

f060.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us