By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Graham LL

Here is a list of all the postings Graham LL has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
08/12/2018 13:55:00

I have come into the forum late but I started building my Fury (slowly) a year ago. In case my approach is of interest to others I have made the following modifications to the plan based on my experience in building (and flying) a SIG Smith Miniplane (biplane) kit.

Wings: spruce spars and leading edges. Carbon fibre strip instead of balsa for the training edge. I have put a blind nut into the spar at each of the flying wire / strut attachment points so that a bolt can be used to hold brackets for the flying wires and struts (better to physically attach the struts to the wings?). 3 not 2 hinge parts at each hinge to prevent any sideways movement. Single carbon fibre rod for the hinges for each aileron, not separate bolts

Fuselage: Had trouble with F6 being too large. Used spruce for the stringers, these will not be glued into place until all the elevator, rudder and tail wheel installations are complete. Created a removable 'cockpit box' that can be detailed then installed from underneath.

Fin/rudder: pullull to be used. spruce for the main upright of the fin

Stabiliser/elevators: spruce for the stabiliser bar. single servo but separate elevator horns

Undercarriage: I will make this wider than on the plan as suggested by Dick van Mourik in his 2004 article.

Thanks for all your useful tips and comments. I might build and do a test fIight or two before doing the fine detailing just in case my flying is not up to it. I was lucky to find a Laser120 when I was in UK earlier this year so that is one problem solved.

My main problem ahead is how will I fit it into the car?

Graham

01/12/2018 06:52:06

Danny

I purchased a full Fury kit from Traplet before they went under and I am slowly working through the build. I have just found this forum and have read most of the useful comments from you all, particularly those on the cowl and the brass parts.

Are there still any copies of the brass parts for sale?

The main part trouble that I have had so far was that F6 seems to be too wide and created a bulge in the paneling that is not there on the original.

Thanks

Graham

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us