By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Denis Watkins

Here is a list of all the postings Denis Watkins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: U/C LIGHTS
18/12/2018 12:28:51
Posted by SR 71 on 18/12/2018 12:09:04:

Hi Deniis im building a 1/4 scale F104 starfighter and need some UC lights, where did you get your bright LEDs from please, i will be looking for something around 15mm

Thanks Tony

Tony, I had mine in stock from rapid online.com, but have you seen those £2 torches, with 9 superbright LEDs in

The front lens assembly can be modified, to large model u/c lights

s-l500.jpg

Edited By Denis Watkins on 18/12/2018 12:29:48

Thread: RC Paints
18/12/2018 11:53:00

These are RC Car Body spray paints for Polycarbonate body shells

The clean up solvent is Acetone and may suggest some form of Enamel Paint

As you found, these are more difficult to varnish

If covering small areas, give light coats of varnish, and time to dry between coats

Large areas would need a more stable 1st choice of paint

Thread: U/C LIGHTS
18/12/2018 11:07:08

Chris, is this the 49" Dynham Hurricane? As I cant see landing lights in the manual

With a large model, have had some success with using the electronic switch on Aux 1 or Aux 2 receiver channel

With its own power pack, so easy on off, and room to wire up and fit 10mm superbright LEDs

If this is the 4 foot span Hurricane, there is not much room as you know, but micro modelling is possible.

Have you yet to source or make lights?

Thread: Rimfire or AXI
17/12/2018 20:11:08
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 17/12/2018 20:05:03:

There has been a discussion on Facebook BMFA unofficial site recently as to oil or not to oil the bearings on brushless electric motors. Any comments.

Not recently Tom, but in early electric competition

We oiled bearings, soaking plain bearings every opportunity, and later ball bearings oiled

And we did " run in " motors too, as revs increased with use

Thread: lndoor model anybody?
17/12/2018 18:04:44

EPP, bouncy plane, a brilliant flyer

**LINK**

Thread: Blackhorse Hurricane 46
16/12/2018 16:22:49
Posted by SONNY MONKS on 06/12/2018 08:32:37:

Hi,I have decided to keep this model now,im going electric with it,can anyone tell me,will i have to add additional holes in the cowel,as there are only two small ones to the front of the cowel,and the underside of the fuse?

Bump

Thread: More flying sites needed!
16/12/2018 08:40:25
Posted by nigel newby on 16/12/2018 01:12:25:

I have been looking for an easy/closer club. I knew that they flew at Kempton park racecourse.

Looked them up on the web and found they had been kicked off in 2015, so they could put up houses.

As of now, they still have not even applied for planning permission. That's 3 years that the club could have been flying there. This is what we are up against.

Nigel N

Edited By nigel newby on 16/12/2018 01:13:10

I can beat that one Nigel, our club lost a field due to the land needed for houses in 2001

We were relocated, and the previous field remains untouched with NO house builds 2018

Thread: Home Insurance
13/12/2018 16:58:07

Highlighted in 2016 Lads

**LINK**

Thread: Pegasus Galaxy Twin Hornet
12/12/2018 16:55:45

PM some of these lads Nigel

**LINK**

Edited By Denis Watkins on 12/12/2018 16:56:03

Thread: BMFA club finder
12/12/2018 09:40:52

This post is made on a Fire

Do you lads get the Total Numbers of Clubs shown around the UK? As Below

img_20181212_093743_988.jpgimg_20181212_094344_178.jpg

Edited By Denis Watkins on 12/12/2018 09:45:44

12/12/2018 07:30:16
Posted by PeterF on 11/12/2018 23:06:02:

I have tried Internet explorer, Edge, Chrome plus on my Amazon Fire tablet, Silk and I can not find any clubs at all, however, the map does centre in on the location I choose and shows the search area but never any clubs, see the no clubs in London map. There must be something different in peoples set ups that either allows this to work or not, perhaps ISP or security settings. I will mention this to Andy Symons at tomorrow nights training session on the Go membership system.

no clubs in london map.jpg

On the Fire Peter, at the Magnification above, my Fire shows no clubs either

But if I zoom in

The Clubs in my area appear

Try Zooming in

Thread: running in asp 70 four stroke.
11/12/2018 18:57:59

Like yours my test stand is in the model, and goes into the air ASAP

3 in 1 oil is Acidic, so don't use it on any motor but it is good on rusty bolts

After run works as it burns away when we fly

Good synthetic motor oil is designed for Aluminium and Steel, so use a few drops of that if northing else

Your ear is quite good at tuning, but a tacho gives you the facts

Don't let the lack of a tacho hold you up though

If The right prop is 12 x 6, then 11 x 7 is ok

Thread: Spektrum AR620
11/12/2018 11:59:53
Posted by Nigel R on 11/12/2018 10:53:49:

" Clearly with the antenna purely inside the case there is a possibility of signal blockage"

No more or less than with the wire poking out.

Only about one inch of the aerial, the tip, as Denis says, has any effect or use, for 2.4GHz.

Keep it a short distance away from the lipo as before, all will be well.

" ventilated, not double wrapped"

Not sure of the logic behind this statement Denis, foam wrap and airflow will make no odds to the RX?

Thanks Nigel

With Spektrum, and Futaba, from the onset, maybe not so much these days

Neither Company liked the Rx deeply embedded in foam due to heat

I think this is long forgotten, but find early installation instructions and you will see it

From then until now, I just mount an anti vibration pad to the area, then a thin acetate surface UHU glue to the pad

Then a double sided mount tape on the Rx, leaving it in fresh air

This is just habit that I carried on doing

Thread: Hangar 9 P47 repair
11/12/2018 11:50:34
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 11/12/2018 11:37:01:

Jon: Thanks or your comments. I used to run glow engines a lot and reasonably successfully but they do seem to be a touch sensitive. I've seen numerous times in others' models as well as my own when an engine is left ticking over for some time (eg when waiting for the opportunity to take off) they 'choke up' and hesitate or even stop when powered up for take off. I assume that's what happened to me with this model.

This comment is only my belief Geoff, with no science attached, just years and years of sitting at too long an idle

Then throttle up, to Stop

I believe, or IMAGINE, the glow crankcase gradually filling, drip drip with a puddle of fuel

That then interrupts the slow moving conrod in its cycle.

As I say, no proof, but a tuned motor, waiting at idle a long time, just move the stick regularly giving a blast to move that fuel

Pure speculation, but advice given after many many times waiting, then success at idle up to take off

Thread: Spektrum AR620
11/12/2018 10:08:09

What Spekrum have done Simon, is to negate installation problems

Antenna work at the tip of the wire at that wavelength

What Spektrum have done is to fix this point within the case

It will have been tested " up hill and down dale "

Always give any 2.4 gig Rx the best chance, ventilated, not double wrapped, firmly fixed, not on one sticky pad on the side of the fuz, and with good power pack, and it will do its job

Thread: Hangar 9 P47 repair
10/12/2018 16:20:28

You can run a single slot deeper, and straight across Geoff, with a Dremel

Do one at a time, and slot enough to fit a hefty straight blade screwdriver

Edited By Denis Watkins on 10/12/2018 16:21:18

Thread: Plane for new engine - any suggestions?
10/12/2018 09:47:03
Posted by Martin Levy on 09/12/2018 22:16:51:

Just bought a lovely 30 size four stroke. Any suggestions for a nice plane to put it in. Happy to go with any kind of plane and can scratch build

Have flown this motor on a number of models Martin, so am offering some guidelines.

5% nitro fuel is fine, but 10% does give noticeable increase in performance.

10 x 6 is maximum prop size, but my best performer was on 9 x 5 and 9 x 6

Wingspan ideally 48" to 52"

Weight 1250grms, about 2.5lb, but it will fly 3lb marginally

This is of course affected by airframe style

Thread: CDI interference?
09/12/2018 16:01:52

Check with Cymaz, Ron

**LINK**

Thread: Adhesives,Which are your favourite Brands?
09/12/2018 15:56:03
Posted by SONNY MONKS on 06/12/2018 18:37:02:

Epoxy-i like the devcon 30 min,marks on the sides of the bottles,allows accurate measures,cyano,zapp medium,and pva,just the standard,always been okay for scratchbuilding,uhu por for foam,whatever happened to balsa cement,is this still available!

Humbrol Balsa Cement is still available on eBay

And its fast drying properties are very useful for holding things in place, while your favourite glue is still drying in stress points

Also, for quick 3D modelling, balsa cement is ideal eg chuck gliders at events

Thread: FlyFly Models
09/12/2018 08:09:53
Posted by Stearman65 on 07/12/2018 21:44:58:

It isn't just Gliders UK who haven't replied to emails, one of the glider suppliers who advertises on here, didn't reply to my email, then, when I rang in the middle of the day, an auto message said they were busy & to ring back. I bought the model from France, cost me £10 more than the UK supplier, but at least I got it. Maybe they don't like committing to written replies?sad

As a Seller, and connection to a couple of Businesses, sadly,

General Email enquiries very very often lead to nothing, maybe pulling a figure from the air, 1%?

An enquiry Email can be complex and require some time, thought, and research to answer, maybe 10 minutes on a good day

So you sit for over an hour answering 10 emails, and then how many sales do you make from it?

None, very very often, the hour spent on emails results in nothing.

This is soul destroying for the Shop, and we draw straws for the resultant waste of time

This is a sad fact

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us