By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John H. Rood

Here is a list of all the postings John H. Rood has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog
19/03/2020 15:20:04

According to the World Health Organization, any PSSA event will in no way whatsoever be a source of pandemic contagion. NEVER!

Why, you ask? BECAUSE THERE'S SO DANG MUCH HOT AIR PRESENT !!! smile d

ALL THE EXPERTS AGREE: No way any bad bugs can survive in THAT "CLOUD OF ALL-KNOWING" smile

Thread: PSSA Sabre Mass Build Event T-shirt - NOW AVAILABLE TO ORDER!
18/03/2020 17:03:51

Golly but I'm such a tiny mere wisp of a thing, but somehow I will nonetheless need a hefty, stretchy size XL !!!

Also ordering a smaller one for the Mrs. Rood; doubtless the consummate BIRTHDAY / ANNIVERSARY / VALENTINE'S / EASTER / COVID-19 STAY HOME AND BUILD MODELS / etc. luxury romance gift!

Paypal & Particulars just now sent to the Cooke Mansion & Aeronautical Trust.

Thanks guys for doing this and everything PSSA!

Air.Trails.MiG.jpg

05/03/2020 21:51:45

Chris, beautiful job. And nice tip about sealing off CF rods!.

Thread: Pete's Cavallino Rampante Italian Aerobatic Team Sabre
05/03/2020 18:32:57

Pete, your fuselage process reminds me of my MiG-15 1/10th scale that I started but never finished some years ago.

Here I was laying on the first fibreglass strips over the packing-tape-covered pink foam... and yes, Sir -- that same unbelievably godforsaken messy "is-ness" that you encountered from A to Z... foam dust, static cling, resin, gloves, brushes, fiberglass shards, silica dust, the works!

Note the extra strips lying there in the foreground...

It was my first attempt at doing anything in fiberglass... and after the resin dried I was dismayed by how dang HEAVY the fibreglass monster seemed to have come out... as in, I likely fell prey to the impulse to add more resin than was needed... something I had set out to AVOID, but maybe it happened anyway?

So... here's how the thing looked during the next step, rough-sanding the now-cured White Whale:

The leftover pizza and gin helped me to cheer up, as did the shiny insides that emerged when I cut the thing in half... turned out that I didn't even need to destroy the foam original plug in the process!

So I can fast-forward to NOW and your Sabre build is a real eye-opener. Lots of info about where and how next to proceed on this MiG-15 someday soon, especially with all these new Sabres out and about.   Love your detailed, info-packed build threads!

Edited By John H. Rood on 05/03/2020 18:47:59

Thread: Sabre made in Belgium
05/03/2020 14:26:01

Q: Why the bandage on my silly face?

A: THIS sky-angel scratched me while I was trying to measure her canopy frame seam-width!

Miss Canopy Frame 2020.jpg

All to say, THANK YOU, DIRK, you are awesome !!!

starstarstarstarstar

Thread: XFJ-2 Fury: F-86E Modified for Carrier Operations
26/02/2020 21:19:08

LE, spars, and TE of hard balsa. Joints all cleaned up nicely.

Quick photo-op before securing everything back down on the jig so to (hopefully) ward off any warping.

Next is to box up the spars via the vertical-grain shear webbing and then install hinge blocks and servo mounts.

h.jpeg

g.jpeg

Thread: An Introduction to the PSSA 2020 Mass Build Project
24/02/2020 16:27:13

Andy, that's great, matey. I'll pm you.

24/02/2020 12:47:49

Andy that’s some Top Gear there!!! I’d love one!

Do you make pilots as well?

Thread: XFJ-2 Fury: F-86E Modified for Carrier Operations
23/02/2020 04:34:22

5 November 1952: Sea Trials aboard the carrier Coral Sea (CVA-43) for the Pax River-based XFJ-2 prototypes.7.jpeg

23/02/2020 04:28:08

f.jpeg

Thanks, guys! I've been clamping the wing jig to a very flat and sturdy 1/2" thick glass table top with good results thus far. The clamps also have helped me forcibly "tweak" the jig to align properly with the rib positions et al. I'm using hard balsa for the spars and the false LE/TE strips. Gluing with Titebond "Thick & Quick" and Titebond II.

21/02/2020 02:38:30

b.jpeg

d.jpeg

e.jpeg

Thread: Sackys FJ3 Fury
11/02/2020 19:05:01

I learned not to sandpaper my airframe in the house as this seems to initiate marital distress and anyway working in the garage is altogether quieter.

Scott_Edwards_Canberra_Kitchen_Arts.jpeg

Oh, and never has a PSS problem ever "INTRUDED" on a otherwise blissful MARRIAGE !!! idea

Thread: Sabre made in Belgium
06/02/2020 05:30:01

ideasmilecocktailcocktail

05/02/2020 18:03:45
Just in case anybody besides me was curious, I was going to ask Dirk about what wax and PVA combo he used in his canopy frame molding process -- but seeing his photos I decided to just investigate them myself. So here are product links: Wax and PVA.

Edited By John H. Rood on 05/02/2020 18:04:54

Thread: Prostate Cancer
03/02/2020 16:51:23

I just this morning got my latest PSA blood test results -- all clear for me, a very low risk situation for me at this time. I feel very relieved and grateful. My dad contracted PC when he was about my age (64.7 years ancient), so I am on "the waiting list" as it were. Or at least it sure feels that way at times!

Hang in there, guys. My dad is now 93 and he beat PC. They removed his prostate (bad) and put him on Lupron (not great but hey).  And a pretty intensive macrobiotic diet (oh dear!), which really helped him lose some belly and get exercising again.  Eventually he got off the Lupron entirely, stopped the macro diet, quit exercising, and pretty much slid back into classic middle-age male-ness! 

AND thirty or so years later he is now remarkable healthy, all-told. I think he used a combination of nicotine and alcohol and steak and BBQ and a few other fun and toxic chem-trails!

It also helped him A LOT to get involved with PC peer support activities. Hang in there -- be well, y'all.

smile

Edited By John H. Rood on 03/02/2020 17:05:04

03/02/2020 16:41:44

Chris, amen.

And if you're at all similar to me, keeping things SIMPLE might be a real good thing -- a real good DOG as it were -- as this is your first slope soaring build. Me? Keeping things SIMPLE is my NUMBER ONE challenge in trying to get my arse in gear. I love to defeat myself by over-complicating things.

I was actually thinking of you the other day as I was landing one of my very simple non-scale foamie gliders; whilst trying to bring the plane in properly I couldn't imagine myself actuating flaps, a rudder, speed brakes, ordnance, drop tanks, et al. I find it is PLENTY for me just to proper fly and land even just a very simple slope glider!

Remember, too, that, at least here in the USA, for decades the vast majority of PSS models did very well on just ailerons and elevator. As did Gordon & Martin's prototype Sabre in our PSSA Mass Build!

Managing things on a transmitter in wind and no wind and lift and no lift and sun and trees and rocks and Andrew Meade's hounds and my wild rantings and wailings (and a thousand other variables) is PLENTY for most anybody. Slope has a steep learning curve, as it were. I might even need to forgo having an operating in-flight pilot relief tube system on my PSSer. .

smile

p.s. LOVE the EXCELLENT Dog Sabre tough guy look that's emerging on the nose and chin of your build! Very nice! WOOF-WOOF !!!

desert scene.jpg

23/01/2020 22:42:26

airfix recovery set.jpg

Chris, glad to hear you are on the road to recovery from that miserable flu bug. And who knows, the good chaps of the British Royal Air Force might even help out an errant Belgian get back in the fray. Heavens maybe even a bloomin' YANK, perchance!!!

nerd

FT bank.jpg

Edited By John H. Rood on 23/01/2020 22:49:51

17/01/2020 17:03:03

Chris, also you must remember that the vast majority of us Mass Build enthusiasts are known criminals; most are now behind bars and their access to computers is limited. The rest of us are still at large, and this, too, can restrict one’s ability to post F-86 Sabre build progress.

But, no worries! All these fine young criminals will be seeping through the cracks soon enough. By their works ye shall know them? YES! Meanwhile, your Sabre Dog is lookin’ good!

nerd

Thread: Pete's Cavallino Rampante Italian Aerobatic Team Sabre
04/01/2020 17:31:12

Fuselage_Shell.jpg

Peter, once again I shall crawl on my belly down the alabaster tiles of my aeromodelling HALL OF SHAME... another unfinished project... this one here is a bogey in 1/10th scale ... I pollute your thread here because this MiG-15 has her nice portly fuselage constructed via the LOST FOAM process.

I designed her in another lifetime, never finished her, and/but/however now I feel I just might need to raise the stakes for all these F-86 Sabres on zee rise...

Thread: Sackys FJ3 Fury
04/01/2020 17:10:34

M.A.N. feature April 1962.jpg

A little FJ-3 Fury inspiration for y'all !!! smile

A 1960s childhood flashback for me: The cover of my fave magazine, graced by this fair maiden and Joe Coles' Dyna-Jet (pulse jet) - powered control-line model of an FJ-3. Ever heard a Dyna Jet roar? God be the days!

Nowadays the OUTERZONE online plans resource has PDFs of the gorgeous plans and the accompanying feature article from April 1962. look for the tabs down the page there to download those two PDFs if you'd like to add 'em to your stash.

The Great Orme PSS Scale Fidelity Police will note that Mr. Coles has faithfully captured the deeper nose contours of the FJ-3 variant.

cool David, best wishes on your build! Fun idea to do the great and mighty badass FJ-3 !!!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us