By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Walby

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Walby has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A newbie trying to save some money
27/09/2019 09:19:17

.... do people have a thing against mode 3 and 4? Can and does anyone fly these modes?

Thread: TN Concorde
26/09/2019 19:02:24

I did see Tony fly it at the RCM&E fly-in and it looked quite stable and was okay on/off the grass where some foam EDF's would struggle.

If you don't mind mass production buy a HK Vampire along with the rest, but if you want something different then build it yourself.

Other designers have packed up as demand is too low to even produce established kits (even with modellers putting their names on the pre-order list).

You could have gone cheap with the gear, but then its a lot of time invested in the airframe only to find it struggles to fly or the U/C disintegrates on its first landing.

Its not on my list, but that won't stop me following your build log and giving you credit for supporting UK designer/suppliers.

Fortunately we are all different and that's what makes it interesting.

Thread: A newbie trying to save some money
26/09/2019 13:20:45

Totally agree with KC, I bought what I though were a couple good models. One turned out to be not even worth the cheap components fitted and fire wood, the other had been maiden with a C of G nearer the TE than the LE! 280g of lead sorted that.

Buy nothing yet, in short visit a couple of clubs, talk to the instructors and see what they advise most likely a foam ARTF and a tube of UHU por would be a good start.

Riot/Kingfisher running 3S2200 lipo with a TX that the instructor can buddy with (as long as the TX can buddy I would spend any more). Once flying you may chose to ditch the RX/TX combo you are running and go for something else for whatever reason.

Good luck and all the best.

PS once flying you could always do a mass build if you fancy balsa bashing, loads of forum help and your own built model at the end!

Thread: Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed
23/09/2019 21:44:33

Edited By Chris Walby on 23/09/2019 21:47:36

Thread: Thank You SLEC great service!
21/09/2019 07:20:12

I would like to relate my recent experiences with sorting out a wood pack, canopy and materials.

• Email correspondence was excellent with fast and knowledgeable replies
  • Very useful discussions with Chris regarding drawings, rescaling and wood selection
  • Having never made a canopy plug, supply of wood, advice and phone help. Finishing touches by Roy

Its worth the hour and twenty minute drive to see them and get things sorted. For example my canopy plug was dropped off last Friday, the first canopy for approval arrived Monday. A couple of additions by me and the finished article arrived on Thursday. Wow

And Inwoods is on the way back...

Thread: Ageing lipos!
18/09/2019 16:27:13

I pensioned off an old and slightly puffy lipo for starter duty, only problem was when I came to recharge it (not balance, but C1) the lipo puffed up and then vented!

I would be inclined to dispose of them at end of life and be very careful of using and especially recharging lipos that no longer perform well.

Thread: Repair of a Hanger 9 P-51 Mustang.
17/09/2019 07:07:23

Paul,

Please keep posting as this sort of thing is always helpful to others that don't nail that landing every time...or hardly ever!

Thread: Laser Appreciation Society
09/09/2019 08:53:07

Club open day yesterday, wing was bumpy in the morning, but ended up dead still late afternoon.

Three flights with the Acrowot & Dual Ace and one with the Mosquito, all Laser 70 and not a beat missed.

5 lasers.jpg

PS apologies for the electric A10 for sneaking into the photo!

Thread: Thinking aloud about Spits...
08/09/2019 07:47:31

Slightly off topic to the Spit, but I think its relevant. IMHO There are manufacturers that produce smallish foam park flying models that have wing profiles designed to be very well behaved and not exhibit the normal tendencies.

These are great models as it allows people with less experience to fly them more than once and move on from the "trainer". The problem is that as Martin has pointed out if you revert to poor landing technique with a less forgiving version it will bit hard.

Its a bit like the driving test, so much of learning is geared towards passing the test. Once you pass your test then the learning really begins. My advise is to fly as many different models as you can (+ different manufactures) some will fly well and some not, but you will be learning all the time.

Sometimes the challenge of flying a poorer behaved model is more rewarding than one that is very benign....as long as its not in the repair shop after every landing! I do have one current model that is proving very tricky and just wish we could crack the landing set up.

Did exactly as Martin described with a model which I can no longer obtain spare wings, so I contacted a chap that could make wings and he asked which wing profile I wanted as he had 5 different variants (from different designers) for the same aircraft type.

Thread: YT International anyone had recent experiance
08/09/2019 07:12:23

Thanks guys and response from YT plus the Bigplanes web site looks very nice.....too nice, but not quite what I wanted.

Dear Customer,

YT International is no longer trading due to the current climate, we are now solely concentrating on our pilot business, www.tailoredpilots.com

My apologies for any inconvenience, we are having problems removing the YT website at the moment so will take it down as soon as possible. If you require any model spares then you contact the factory directly, talk to Herlin at esm2002@163.com

Kind Regards,

Wilson.

Thread: Low pass Petes Mass Build thread - Renaissance
07/09/2019 20:24:15

Pete,

Looks really good and glad you have finished it off in time for next week.

If it flies anything like mine and I am sure it will be as its better built you will be impressed.

PS - at least your pilot isn't looking as ruff-alo as mine!

Thread: YT International anyone had recent experiance
07/09/2019 20:15:05

Are they still supplying kits?

what's the build and flying qualities like?

Thanks in advance.

Thread: Best/Safe practice or wiring electricmotor - ESC- On off switch - Reciever
05/09/2019 14:52:06

Best and most safe way is to never be in front of a live prop/electric motor/ESC

I have been pulled (and rightly so) by our safety officer for plugging a battery in through the prop arc.

I have used throttle cut and there are mechanical means available (plugs in battery/motor wires), but IMHO a good safe working practice is less likely to be skipped/forgotten about.

I have a number of models that have quirky start up methods (RX powered first, ESC's second etc) and thinking about it if I am not in a position to get hurt then its the best mitigation, rather than hoping this plug is in/out or that switch is off/on.

Just my view, others will have there's which are equally valid.

Thread: Laser Appreciation Society
27/08/2019 14:54:09

Thanks Jon,

I'll let him know about the tank and pitot tube. plus I'll introduce him to the rates switch.....his last model had high rates and no expo...how much fun I had with that "Extra" I would rather not repeat!

PS the CofG is just behind the LE...might need some lead as well wink

27/08/2019 12:59:00

Jon,

A club member presented his model for a test run (with a Laser 90 in it) and after a little tinkering (not me!) it started and ran up for the first time in about 4 years. It sits inverted in the model with a full cowl, but with a fair amount of ventilation.

Couple of questions?

• Had a quick look on the web site but could not find the recommended prop for a 90, would the 80 recommendations be close enough (we were getting just short or 9k on the prop we had)
  • Should the tank vent be left loose to dangle vertically down or better to fit on to a forward facing "pitot" tube?
  • I noticed fuel dripping from the main needle once stopped, does the owner need to obtain some o rings or is there another fix. I didn't fancy taking the cowl off in yesterdays 30+ heat too look at the carb
  • A bit late now, but Is there anything else we need to check before committing to aviation?

Thanks for your time

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
23/08/2019 21:41:13

In a moment of weakness I went a bit electric!

Anyway it turned up promptly from Motion RC EU including the heavy duty U/C which fitted a treat.

20190823_144532.jpg

Maiden was a complete non event with loads of power to get off the deck, couple of clicks on right aileron and it felt very stable.

1/2 flaps and only used 1/2 of our short runway to land. Decals to finish

Summary, despite its war bird wing loading (funny that!) it flies well and landed no trouble, but might bite if allowed to run out of airspeed.

Well done Motion RC for the P38L Lightning

Thread: Twin ic throttle mixing
18/08/2019 17:04:42

....Depends what you want to do? And with what sort of model

With a Gen 1 you could mix the second throttle on to aux 1, then a couple of mixes on the flap switch (centre no effect, other positions throttles low).

Gain height (four mistakes high) and flick the switch, one engine will drop to idle and if you are quick with enough speed and rudder authority you should be able to hold it. If not it will spin...assuming both engines are running or you have enough height you might miss the ground.

Waste of a good model IMHO.

If you have a simulator set it up for random engine loss and see how you get on....

Only personal experience with three engine induced spins, one not recovered/write off, one more luck than anything and the other...mostly luck and a lot of height just pulled it off with a couple of good engines (I don't think I could have recovered it with one quit engine).

Having said that there are some good models that fly very well on one engine, perhaps practice with one of those?

18/08/2019 13:37:58

DX8 gen 1, I don't think so

DX8 gen 2, I would have thought so....and you intending on using for starting or flying?

Thread: How many mass build Renaissance
15/08/2019 14:21:05

Hi,

Missed the post (bump) and yes I'll be there with Mr G-RUFF

Thread: Take off dolly for a Funfighter, anyone used one?
14/08/2019 06:02:07

I had an ME108 electric, with very fierce take off roll.

Best hand launched (under arm) with the throttle at 2/3 and the throttle cut employed. So model in left hand, thumb on right stick (elevator /aileron, mode 2) and finger on throttle cut switch. Advance throttle, flick switch and WAIT

Wait 2 or 3 seconds until the motor has stopped accelerating...then with a little swinging action and the wings at 30degrees roll to the right let go!

Did try a dolly (kit version with steering servo) but I am on Spektrum with model match so I have to keep rebinding between models (bit of a faff) and without the rudder (do fit a controlled rudder to the model) the massive P effect makes it very hard to launch + you are really low to the ground so easy to touch a wing tip and spin in...

Bungee if you have to, but that's a faff as well...so hand launch it is normally easiest,,, and into wind makes a difference even on low wind days!

Hope that helps

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us