By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Walby

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Walby has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Mounting servos between ribs
12/04/2020 22:05:43

Thanks to all who have offered advice, much appreciated and I'll sleep on it.

The rib pitch is too small to get the servo in on its side + Martin enlighten me as to what the original design intended (vertical and stuck to the side of the thick rib, cover on top).

I might make a cover plate with a hole and see if gets the servo spindle to protrude far enough, if not a long arm on the servo and side mount it (the down side is if the servo needs to be changed I'll end up recovering most of the wing (bearing in mind it will be translucent film).

Well at least it stops me having to deal with the Focke.

12/04/2020 18:05:42

Hi, question for the collective as I am sure there are far more elegant solutions than what I have in mind. Thanks in advance.

Its intended to have a translucent covering and I am having trouble interpreting the drawing and getting my head around the open structure.

I could just sheet where the servo is going to go and plonk the servo on the top of the sheet, but the servo pokes out a long way

Or mount the servo lower and then a cover plate above with the servo shaft protruding - seems like a bit of work and how do I finish off the covering around the hole.

Or is there another option?

20200412_175800.jpg

PS - The balsa bearers are not fixed so all options are available wink

Thread: I never thought it would come to this....
08/04/2020 08:08:02

David, with all due respect why not build a balsa nutball and give it a try? As they say don't knock it until you have tried it. Nutballs have a massive flight envelope from self centering and gentle circuits all the way up to (if you so wish) prop hanging and very entertaining inverted flight.

All that from something disk shaped

I for one would be interested to see how traditional materials could be used in a quick and uncomplicated build.

Bonus point, they are quite crash resistant although due to their flight characteristics are quite difficult to crash!

Thread: Rather Fast
07/04/2020 14:53:21

Catapult...easy when you have massive power to weight ratio..Try doing it with overweigh and under power model.

cal_0190.jpgcal_0191.jpg

PS 25kg bungee on a 6Kg model and boy does it eat the sky up (not that fast, but slows if its turned too quick).

Thread: Benefits of the lockdown
07/04/2020 11:21:08

I used to keep the service and MOT as separate events (used to do the service myself), but after getting a car mechanic to do it I noticed he would MOT it first, then service it and ask for approval to do the bits it failed on.

Seemed to be standard practice in the motor trade although a bit concerning that you could be driving around with a defective car.

PS our mechanic was very good as he would highlight items (e.g. brake pads) based on previous years mileage that would wear out before the next service/MOT.

PPS I suppose that's why you see so many cars with defective lights as people wait until the next MOT.

Thread: Light Relief
05/04/2020 14:36:47

Well a bit of everything and even a twin allowed to join the flight!

**LINK**

23 minutes of something for everyone, superb.

Thread: Benefits of the lockdown
05/04/2020 07:14:56

Accidents on UK roads,

Statistics on reported road casualties in Great Britain for the year ending 2019 show there were: 1,870 reported deaths. 27,820 seriously injured.

With much less traffic on the roads hopefully there will be fewer accidents.

Not much consolation, but good news none the less.

Edited By Chris Walby on 05/04/2020 07:18:27

Thread: Capiche Woes
05/04/2020 06:41:32

I don't know as I haven't owned one, but will it really be a dog at 20 oz/sq ft?

I built a Renaissance which comes out at 19.9 oz/sq ft and its a total pussy cat to fly and the pilot is a bit of an animal!

20190801_182212.jpg

I fly IC warbirds and if its below 35 oz/sq ft its a real bonus....just don't ask what the pusher Vulcan comes out at, but the best description would be "flying manhole cover".

IMHO, build it, set the C of G in the right place and go fly (when restrictions allow"

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
04/04/2020 14:21:35

Rich - Nice clean lines and interesting decals, will it be a quick one being a Mirus 40 with a 53 in it?

Thread: Focke Wolf Ta 154 Laser
04/04/2020 10:23:11

Well I guess its time to mention the Lasers, the idea was that I would cut my teeth with a pair of 70's in the Dual Ace and then put them in the SG Mosquito. Great plan, but then I started pining for the Dual Ace and and was lucky enough to pick a second matched pair for it. As the days worn on I started thinking about a plan/scratch built twin and use the Dual Ace engines again.

Of course it would take months to build the Ta 154 and if it all went pear shaped with the Ta 154, then the engines could no back in the Dual Ace

Jon kindly loaned me a runway darted engine after I spent considerable time with my spare 80 lining up the bulkhead and everything else to then realise that the 70 and 80 are different in almost every dimension! Doh. More discussions and progress with Chris at SLEC and the ribs/bulkheads were coming along nicely.

Roy at SLEC had selected some suitable wood for the canopy plug and after lots of hacking I had what I thought would be suitable. Then a bit of too and throw with test pieces Roy arrived with a very nice canopy.

20200404_091144.jpg

Next time....the collection of the wood pack

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
03/04/2020 11:29:54

Well a reduction drive would get my vote as the future will hold only more noise restrictions.

A radial you say, very nice. Mind you getting a numpty like me to get one cylinder set up correctly is a challenge, a twin an outside chance. Now a radial it would best be to fit anti-tamper on all the carb screws or make every owner attend an anti-numpty training class.

Then again a nice inline twin for those long nose warbirds is an idea. smiley

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
02/04/2020 14:19:16

One thing I have noticed while walking the dog at 9pm is how quite it is with no aircraft/car traffic noise. We are in an urban area with the fields a short distance away.

The other thing is how fast the wildlife has adapted in a short space of time, normally the odd hoot of an owl, but in the past six days

Different days and locations with two foxes crossing the normally light trafficked road, hedgehog just off the path next to the road, buzzed by an owl as if I was intruding on their patch and plenty of rabbits that were taking advantage the conditions.

Thread: Scratch Build Twin
02/04/2020 10:30:23

Jim, messaged you a couple of days ago, hope you are well. Chris

01/04/2020 20:57:55

Moving on the next decision was regarding U/C as the original had fixed, but I though it deserved retracting.

Chat with Dave at Inwoods resulted in a very nice nose wheel oleo and retract, a couple of retracts and some buggy shocks. Mock up resulted in this

20190329_185643.jpguc mock up v1.jpg

Now at this point I realised I could make the retracts, but might never get the rest of this project progressed so I started a conversation with Ken King.

I sent some drawings and the mock up and Ken did lots of thinking with the focus on lightweight and simple design.

Really please with the result and can take no credit for Ken's great work. If it flies okay I will add tubes over the rods to make it look a bit more scale.

20191024_105827.jpg

Around this point we spotted the UC is in front of the C of G

Edited By Chris Walby on 01/04/2020 20:59:21

Thread: DH89a Dragon Rapide
01/04/2020 20:41:22

David, If you are struggling with the split wing you could always have a chat with Chris at SLEC. He designed in wing tubes on a one piece wing (now three piece with tips and centre section with nacelles). Best bit was everything lined up although the ribs are not equally spaced and the tips have dihedral compared with the centre section.

Good luck whatever you decide smiley

01/04/2020 15:46:45

Martin - Did Jon not give you a set...strange surprise, mind you he did he didn't give me a set with the last engine either crying

Jon might know what there true purpose is, but being a new boy I just thought they were spacers so the socket to nut does not foul the side of the engine bearer + they look nice.

PS - I think washers fowl as their OD is greater than the nut across corners diameter.

Thread: Flat Car Battery from non-use of car
01/04/2020 14:51:21

I would be inclined to take the car out for some exercise once a week for 30 minutes at a moderate speed

Rational

If it fails to start when exercising it you can fix it

If you need it in an emergency you know it will start

If you get stopped by Plod just say you are over 70 and the car may be needed in an emergency + you are going out for essential supplies - petrol

All other options involve tinkering which is okay if you have the time, skill and equipment to do so.

01/04/2020 14:40:45

Cliff, I built a TN Moskito but In kept breaking motor bulkheads and cowls every time I landed and in the end resorted to folding props and reduced performance as you don't have the same choice as standard props.

I tried differential throttle control as mine did not have a rudder servo - very weird yaw and un-scale like + I found that colour scheme almost impossible to see with a winter sky against trees (funny that!). After about 4 major rebuilds due to crash damage it ended its live with a 50ft lawn dart (not fully explained but either RX or ESC failure - money is the ESC and at low speed, low altitude and no rudder not catchable).

Martin - I am at a total loss as to your comment as the photo clearly shows the manufacturers supplied engine bolts with rare spacers + recommended Nylon engine mount and ply bulkhead. This was the prototype bulkhead and the final supplied by SLEC has the beech bearers (photos will be published in due course) oh and the engine rotated 90 degrees for carb/tank level.

I'll post progress shortly and thanks to all that are following.

31/03/2020 21:07:26

I'll be compressing the last 12 months into hopefully what would appear to the reader quite a quick build although rest assured its been very time consuming and its not finished yet!

Lets start with the airframe, apologies to the trad builders, but I don't think I am going to live long enough to cut wing ribs and bulkhead by hand so it was off to see Chris at SLEC

No problem with increasing the wingspan from 70 to 80 inch, help in selecting wood sizes and a set of nacelle parts to assist with engine and U/C design.

20190517_133949.jpg

Now the first issue was that the Laser 70 engine sits on engine mounts and the bulkheads are in the wrong place. Good news the was to use the beech bearers for the U/C, but getting the U/C to retract into the nacelle was going to be a challenge.

20190526_205847.jpgPS Not engine or tank final position!

Edited By Chris Walby on 31/03/2020 21:10:10

31/03/2020 20:52:29

A bit of history

Apparently the Germans were very impressed with the DH Mosquito in its role as pathfinder and photo reconnaissance and especially with its use of non metal airframe. Kurt Tank of Focke Wolf had already been designing aircraft using wood composites and here was an opportunity to submit a design for a twin engine night fighter with a similar performance as the Mosquito.

Despite having the same wingspan and composite wood air frane the Ta154 differed in being high wing and fuel tanks within the fuselage. This allowed for a thinner wing section and less likely to be damaged under fire.

Major problems arose when their only Tego film (glue) factory was bombed and an alterative less strong glue was used. Worse than that they later found after a number of wing failures that the glue was corrosive to the airframe.

Back to my Ta 154

Plans for 70 inch version were obtained (if only I had looked in Outerzone!) but not to worry at least I has a hard copy to look and measure over.

Looking at the wing area and target weight it soon became apparent that a 70 inch version with twin Laser 70 in it was going to have a high wing loading.

The answer was to copy the Mosquito and go for 80 inch wingspan which brought me to the U/C. The original plan had fixed and while in the 70's/80's there was no real economic alternative I thought it could not be too difficult to do.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!