By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Walby

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Walby has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Powered by Laser, a gallery thread
28/11/2019 21:55:04

Ron,

Are both vent line outside of the cowl facing forwards? Just if they were in different places it might on a very outside chance effect things.

Other than that please keep us all posted on your developments smiley

Thread: take off dolly
25/11/2019 12:27:03

Tried a few dolly designs with little success on a fun fighter (electric). Ended up with a RX, servo and battery on the back wheel to hold it straight however the tendency for adverse roll on lift off generally meant it touched a wing tip and cartwheeled in (not very conducive when at 3/4 throttle!).

As C8 says, sort he U/C out or hand launch it and save collecting the dolly every time.

I do launch my 5.6kg Vulcan with a dolly via a 25kg pull bungee and its a very tense few moments to see if it gets off the dolly and drops its bungee (been there & picked up the pieces!).

cal_0191.jpg PS - because its bungee launch the caster wheel is at he front!

Thread: Multi Engine Plane
24/11/2019 21:48:51

Hi,

I will echo Jon's recommendation, keep everything simple like one RX output to a pair of engines and have easy mechanical adjustment + a tank per engine.

Only other thing I was advised was don't nail it (WOT) on take off, gentle increase to 80% throttle as the most likely time an engine will quit is at 100%. If you need 100% just to get off the ground it won't leave you with many options once its in the air.

Watch this for aircraft management **LINK** (thanks cymaz) although I don't suggest the one wheel landing technique although the comments about air speed are completely relevant.

Thread: Scroll Saw
24/11/2019 14:04:05

Thanks for the comments all very helpful, cheers

24/11/2019 07:28:56

Mr Numpty managed to break my very second minicraft saw and can't find any spares.

Views, advice and recommendations of currently available scroll saws please

Cheap better or more expensive?

Thread: Powered by Laser, a gallery thread
24/11/2019 06:41:19

Ron, Oh is this the holy grail of laser engine installations...a pair of vee twins.

Let us know how the maiden goes and where you will be flying this as it will need to be heard to be believed smiley

Thread: Full size aircraft displays
23/11/2019 22:40:01

Yes very good pilot, but she is flying an aircraft designed for extreme aerobatics, although I do show the scouts that fly one of her videos as it demonstrates positive and negative g nicely + what happens if you repeatedly grab the stick with both hands and put it in opposite corners of the cockpit!.

Thread: Another way for props to bite
23/11/2019 22:32:03

The mechanical guys I am sure will fill in the details, but my dad used to "back off" drills so the tended not to snatch as much. If I remember rightly if you look at a drill bit the cutting edge has a relief behind it so it can bite into the material being cut. The problem is if the relief is too great the cutting edge bites too much material, hence it snatches.

The other trick was then cutting sheet was to fold a small piece if emery cloth (a bit bigger than the hole) and put it between the drill bit and work piece. Then drill through the cloth and metal. Useful when the material already has a hole through it

PS you may have compounded the issue as you were using a hand drill, very easy to move it off vertical and thus allowing the drill to bite more material.

PPS Has worked for me in the past, within reason increase the drill speed and decrease the rate of feed, easier on a pillar drill to control.

Anyway best wishes on a speedy recovery

Thread: Full size aircraft displays
23/11/2019 21:47:07

Come on guys, let no let the Italian's steal all of the limelight!

Not bad for a 20,000 to 30,000 kg aircraft and I give them extra points for the use of the rudder in the knife edge!

**LINK**

23/11/2019 07:19:58

Thought some might be interested as this pilot seems to be pushing "scale" flying to a new level.

**LINK**

Although they could be marked down for minimal use of the rudder!

PS do Typhoons have elevons or is everything via the canards, LE and rudder?

If anyone has any outstanding video of full size aircraft being flown please post here.

Edited By Chris Walby on 23/11/2019 07:20:28

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
22/11/2019 07:17:46

That's the problem with VOC, ask five people and get six answers.

If I need a plug spanner then I have the time and skill to make/adapt one, if I want a glow engine then I look to a manufacturer for the same reasons.

There seems to be sufficient demand for glow engines (singles and vee's) as demonstrated in the speed that the recent ones sold. Might not be very exciting for Jon to produce more engines, but if the demand is there then why not meet it and go back to the boss for more resource to manufacture more. If inline or larger glow versions can come along based on existing designs then so be it.

As for the petrol if its impacting glow sales then follow the market, if not its a lot of effort for little gain.

I'll just shut up and go an bash some balsa in the garage as at this rate the model will be finished before the engines are available.

Edited By Chris Walby on 22/11/2019 07:40:25

Thread: Plane storage ?
20/11/2019 12:43:28

Cold as long as its not below sub zero I don't think will be an issue. High ambient temp seems to effect coverings and glue on foam models (>25C).

As long as the humidity is quite stable you should be okay (as in brick building), if its a tin shed with a leaky roof then no!

More advice from experts will be along shortly. wink

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
19/11/2019 21:59:54

Don, I think you are missing the point

Jon is doing the best he can with what he has available and if you want to vent your spleen I suggest you write to the company owners and make you points to them.

Hopefully they will push more resource Jon's way so he has more time to build engines, but in the end that's down to Jon's boss to decide.

If we all make a really big nuisance of ourselves then the directors might just cut their losses and stop making engines.

PS I am up for a bit of engine testing with my Acrowot 70 if it helps out.

19/11/2019 13:30:17

If you don't want to measure bore and stroke you can always do it by swept volume, but would seem a lot more effort in my book.

1. Slacken valve adjusters or remove rockers
  2. Remove plug and rotate crank to TDC
  3. Fill cylinder head with oil
  4. Rotate crank to BDC
  5. Measure quantity of oil to fill back to operation 3
  6. Done!

Reassemble and find missing oil that has leaked passed the piston ring!

19/11/2019 10:48:54

Well at least its not a twin overhead cam, chain drive with vernier cam wheels, V twin, oh the fun! LOL

Edited By Chris Walby on 19/11/2019 10:49:15

19/11/2019 10:01:05

If in doubt measure the bore and stroke and calculate the volume, job done!

18/11/2019 21:23:13

The rogues gallery should be a list of people who have bought engines and are not using them.

On an annual basis owners should declare the number of hours the engine/s have run and if not sufficient then returned to Jon for resale.

I am guilty of an 80 in a box for a couple of years, but it will be in a ARTF for next year honest....deviland if I ever get time I'll build the model it was intended for.

Thread: TN Concorde
18/11/2019 12:50:42

Try Callie Graphics **LINK**

Helpful, fast, does bespoke graphics (Gruffalo for me) and local.

Okay well not local as they are in Magdalena, USA, but don't let that put you off, 7 to 10 day postage normally!

Highly recommended...by me

Thread: Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed
18/11/2019 12:43:48

Just suppose you direct your exhaust gas via a heater matrix and forget to turn you heater off or run it against a high heat load (very cold outside), just how hot will the matrix get?

Not as per manufacturers instructions, no over temperature protection and your shed burns down....I think it will be a very one way conversation with the house insurers.

Anyone considered why the exhaust gas gets that hot? I would expect its for a reason of the manufacturer would be using that heat to improve the efficiency of the unit.

Thread: voltage/brown out capacitors
16/11/2019 21:46:59

IMO, of no benefit and possibly making your set up less reliable by increasing the number of components that could develop a fault.

On the subject of RX supplies I took some advice from a UK manufacturer of batteries, ESC's UBEC's and motors and used 3S2200 lipo and 20A UBEC on the basis of keeping it simple (using lipos I already had) and it was suggested that if a servo developed a fault/stalled then the UBEC would provide sufficient current to "burn it out" without dropping the voltage to the RX.

I have a couple dual battery switches, but of course the switch is a common point of failure + both batteries' discharge at the same rate. Only advantage is if one battery cell goes open circuit, then the RX will be supported by the other battery.

From experience cheap switches have caused the biggest issue and not ventilating ESC's sufficiently, oh and UBEC's that don't supply their rated current without "browning out" the RX

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CADMA
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us