By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stuart Marsden

Here is a list of all the postings Stuart Marsden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DB Excellence electric conversion
19/11/2016 11:07:27

Hi Gurth

The Excellence was designed by David Boddington for the original FS20 OS. 20 years ago this was a popular build with guys trying all sorts including massively overpowering with 40 2 strokes. Net result of all of this is a fantastic well balance aircraft. An old friend and I mean old now 91 used a FP25 and this proved to be perfect in fact, an excellent Excellence.

To answer your question there is enough room for a 2700mm 3 cell pack. In my quick mod, I have left the engine bearers in, placed the battery beneath these, there is enough room, and built a light ply cover with the ESC sitting on top but under the tank cover. I have modified the removable to go from the bulk head in front of the wing right to the front with the motor bolted on the front. This of course increases the front moment arm but flight trials are good. the new build will have the motor set back by iits own depth so the prop driver ends upi being similar to the IC version and there is still room for a 3 cell2200mah pack. I have moved the motor back as the Cof G is slightly too far forward, but this will bring it bang on. The only unfortunate thing is the battery is part of the forward weight not on the C of G, thus making larger or smaller batteries another challenge. In the grand scheme of things I don't like adding unnecessary weight to model aircraft.

I hope all of this helps, I will post some pictures when I get time and show progress. One last point, I have built quite a bit of down thrust in and used a 9x6E pulling 16amps peak, about 8 minutes mixed flying without stressing packs. Plans still available from the plans service, or they where last time I asked

18/11/2016 13:58:11

The Excellence has flown on a Overlander thumper 420 watts using a 3 cell 2200 pack and 8 minutes with 30% left, I will get all the exact details together and post again if any others are interested. I am now getting on with the purpose built version. Thanks to all

Thread: AcrowotMk2 built up artf version
11/11/2016 10:21:39

I have just purchased a secondhand AcrowotMK2 and wonder what setups people have used inc battery size and likely flight times for mixed flying.

Thread: Scrap Box Wellington Bomber
03/11/2016 20:51:35

Can't wait

Thread: DB Excellence electric conversion
02/11/2016 20:52:55

Thanks for this, I bought a 400watt overlander motor and 40 amp speed controller to match, as I was thinking this would be about right, the IC version weighs just over 3 lbs including engine, so I am expecting to get to no more than 3lbs. I would interested to know how long for flights are o n 3700math 3 cell pack are with your model, as I expect this would probably be similar on the Excellence? Best regards.

02/11/2016 12:56:59

David Boddington designed and published a couple of designs for the original OS 20 FS, one of these was called Excellence, and it was. I have a version powered by a FP25 OS which is exactly the correct power, but is now oil soaked and with another on the board, electric is how I want to go. Advice and experience very much appreciated.

Thread: Scrap Box Wellington Bomber
26/10/2016 21:37:26

The power of your wife is your problem, just as mine. Looking at your earlier content,I would be surprised if you haven't more than enough. Perhaps you can let me know if the plan is still available and maybe downloadable. You have really inspired me, Warboys, where I most often fly had Wellingtons, Oxfordshire and Lancs. Thanks again. Stuart

26/10/2016 19:11:36

Robert, this has so far been a great story, can't wait for the next episode. Well done.

Thread: TN large scale Wellington Bomber
26/10/2016 18:41:37

Well I am looking to acquire such a model but see you had no replies at the time. I am hoping you have made progress and can comment on how you have fared.

Thread: Tony Ninjus Lysander electric set up
21/10/2016 06:00:38

Thanks once again Allan, I have read through your earlier posts 're carbon undercarriage with interest. You are correct regarding size. I have decided to go for it and join the Lysander gang. Once again thank you and to everyone else who has contributed. Best regards, Stuart

19/10/2016 19:55:47

Thanks so much for this, it is really useful. I understand the model I smoking at is 48inch span, but this may be an error. I will check out with Tony next. Many thanks for all your help. Best regards Stuart

19/10/2016 19:55:44

Thanks so much for this, it is really useful. I understand the model I smoking at is 48inch span, but this may be an error. I will check out with Tony next. Many thanks for all your help. Best regards Stuart

19/10/2016 16:14:42

Thank you Allan, perhaps you would give me some idea of general flight times with your set up. The other question I have is: Having built and flown this 48inch span model, would you assess it as a good flyer, or is it heavy and a poor flyer. The Lysander is known for its STOL capability, is this list, or is it indeed at 5 3/4 lbs, scale like? I really would approve your thoughts

19/10/2016 16:14:40

Thank you Allan, perhaps you would give me some idea of general flight times with your set up. The other question I have is: Having built and flown this 48inch span model, would you assess it as a good flyer, or is it heavy and a poor flyer. The Lysander is known for its STOL capability, is this list, or is it indeed at 5 3/4 lbs, scale like? I really would approve your thoughts

18/10/2016 20:40:49

Thank you this is and it is all so useful, I hate putting lead in model aircraft but sometimes you just have to. I am looking at an example that says it flies on 4 cells, hence my original post, as Tony suggests the same as on Max4. All experiences most welcome. Best regards Stuart

18/10/2016 08:31:19

Yes Geoff, the Lysander is one of my favourite aircraft. Ibecameclose to this when I wrote a trilogy of articles for .model Works (as I remember). I built for review a charger model which was part foam I.e. turtle deck etc. I was lucky enough to make contact with Sir Hugh Verify, who was prominent with SOE. Sadly Sir Hugh died the day of the test flight, his obituary was in the Telegraph. I may be preaching to the converted, but a really good read and available in most Libraries is, We landed by Moonlight by Sir Hugh Verify. Best regards. Potty Flyer

17/10/2016 21:19:04

I would like to hear from anyone who has successfully converted this design to electric flight. Tony does offer a system but this appears to sometime ago.

Thread: Phoenix versus Realflight
11/08/2016 22:48:10

Thanks all, it has been most helpful. I purchased the Realight7.5 today and first impressions are excellent. Best regards. SM.

10/08/2016 22:58:36

Many thanks for this, Pheo ox is looking good. Cheers Stuart

10/08/2016 22:42:18

Thanks for this, do you use a laptop and can you link to a large screen?

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!