By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mannyroad

Here is a list of all the postings Mannyroad has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Purple Haze Plan Wanted
20/05/2016 23:06:58

Hi,

I used to have an IC version of an old plane called a Purple Haze from a plan back in the 70's /80's I believe. It was a pocket rocket of a plane that gave me hours of fun over countless flights, till I went across the strip at full chat inverted and hit up elevator when I should've hit down. That was a good number of years ago.

I'd love to build another one but can't seem to find a plan. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or does anyone still have a plan knocking around that I could photocopy?

Edited By Mannyroad on 20/05/2016 23:08:13

Thread: Cartoon Cutlass Wings Warping when glueing & covering.
17/05/2016 17:55:04

Hahaha! You still got that spinner of MINE eh? Haha!

By the way, how did you figure it was me?

15/05/2016 22:47:58

Hi Andy,

Funny, I'd just finished reading your comments to the DOH thread when your message came in, so I recognised your avatar straight away.

Your Cutlass looks excellent, hope mine turns out as well. I used 6mm sheet for wings, as plan, and similar for the K2 front section. Wish I'd spot glued that sheeting rather than wetting out the whole surface; I'm reckoning that was my mistake. The warp isn't excessive, just noticeable and now I've glued it to the fus I'm waiting to see if that will pull most of it out.

Always had issues with large sheet wings, especially when heat shrinking. Will consider tissue and poly C in future, or glasscloth and the acrylic stuff by Falcon Models, which i've had good results with.

What motor/prop setup did you find worked well? Been reading about hand launch issues and that smaller 5x5 props can help reduce torque roll during launch. Did you have any issues hand launching?

15/05/2016 22:18:17

Thanks guys for your comments. The cross-grain strips are indeed great for keeping sheet surfaces straight and they \re soething I've used numerous times in the past. As they weren't on the plan I presumed that warping wasn't going to be an issue with this build so decided to leave out; a mistake perhaps.

I'm not sure how the top sheet for the K2 section was glued on others models but I used PVA glue for this job. maybe in hindsight I should've just used thin epoxy strips along sheet edges and a few dabs in the mid-section to reduce wetting out the balsa too much; again, a mistake perhaps. i'd be interested to know how others approach the issue of preventing warping of wide sheet wings when glueing or, perhaps more importantly, when using shrink coverings.

15/05/2016 16:19:21

Hi,

I've decided to return to modelling after a 7 year break and have chosen to build the Cartoon Cutlass, featured a good few months ago in RCME.

I wanted a quick to build, small electric model that I could chuck in the car and go and fly whilst I sorted the engines and batteries etc out on my other planes (sadly, despite engine after run oil birng used, several engine bearing problems came to light, having been stored in garage for so many years).

Anyhow, all was going well, until I came across a problem I've encountered several times in the pat when building delta type wings from sheet balsa, namely the warping of the sheet balsa. It began as soon after gluing the top sheets in place for the K2 section wings. I'm not sure how Nigel Hawes glued the top sheets in place, i.e. what glue he used and how much, to prevent the wings warping when the glue dried.

The next problem I've found with these type thin balsa wings is that the shrink covering deforms the wings when being shrunk, and I even used an old power panel gel cell battery as dead weight to try to prevent it happening.

So, what is the best way to glue up and cover these type of wings to prevent them warping. Same goes for the thin balsa fins too; mine have developed a slight curve to them. Its annoying having spent time and materials, to see it all goe to waste.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. And any tips for easing out the warping too (prefer not to waste all the work todate).

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues