By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Wasey

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Wasey has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Looking for a trainer kit
27/10/2019 17:50:10

img_1509.jpg

27/10/2019 17:49:25

p1020677 - copy.jpg

27/10/2019 17:42:11

IMHO the all time best trainer was the Kamco Kadet. It's a doddle to build, flies superbly thanks to a great semi-symmetrical aerofoil and can be flown as a three channel (rudder, elevator & throttle) or "full house" with an aileron wing.

Originally a club favourite from the 1970s the Kamco range has been revived somewhat by Rich Booth who can supply plans (search for his Kamco site on Facebook) and the wing ribs are available from eBay.

**LINK**

I'm sure SLEC would laser cut the other bits and pieces but to be honest it's a simple stuff designed to come out of standard sizes sheets.

Nick

Thread: Oratex - it's thinner than Solartex! Advice need please.
27/10/2019 17:31:22

Thanks for the reply Don & Allan.

It's an obeche veneered foam wing and I'm covering it in red, white and blue Oratex. The problem is that the Oratex is very slightly transparent so you can see the grain of the obeche and filler etc. It's not totally opaque like Solartex was.

My plan is to use Deluxe Products Sand n Seal and then spray with a while acrylic aerosol to give a solid colour base.

Sound like a plan?

My only doubt is that Sand n Seal is water based and I did see something on another post about the risk of water based sealers warping the obeche. Surely if you don't drench the wing it'll be OK?

Nick

24/10/2019 20:20:00

Good evening all!

I've just started to cover a foam wing with Oratex having used Solartex in the past which is now unavailable. The Oratex seems good stuff but is noticeably lighter than Solartex and is very slightly translucent resulting in the grain of the obeche and areas of filler showing through the covering.

Is the solution to paint the wing in balsa sealer and do a light coat of white paint as base colour?

If so a recommendation on balsa sealer and type of paint (acrylic spray?) would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!