By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bruce Collinson

Here is a list of all the postings Bruce Collinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: aliphatic bond
17/07/2019 20:03:32

Andy Hardman still had Balsaloc a week or two back. I still can’t persuade him to tell me what’s in Prymol though.

BTC

Thread: Electric Cars.
08/07/2019 17:18:43

Percy, if he was less sanctimonious he would have bought the hybrid but he allowed his dubious priorities to countermand common sense.

GM, I'm with you.

08/07/2019 13:38:22

Colleague acquired a BMW i3 (?) for work, greatly against mainstream viewpoint as our business sometimes demands quite long routes and by the time he's driven to work via school it has to be plugged in (charge point cost north of 2 grand) before it can safely go anywhere distant. Really fed up of the proselytising . Pulled up whilst on the phone, didn't want to switch neutrons off in case the handsfree crashed, finished call, got out, car ran through shop window.

Unfortunately, the car is repairable, as well as the Co-op's shopfront. Might use a lot of carbons to mend though.

Worth the £500 excess just for the silence.

BTC

Thread: Field boxes
08/07/2019 13:23:06

My (recent) experiences with them:

avoid power panels, use seperate pump, glow driver and starter battery; avoid lead acid 12v batteries, had hopeless results, use any 12v-ish LiPo instead, ditto for the starter. Small Cyclon (?) lead acid in a box with an ammeter and a switch, seems to run glowplugs all season on a charge and is portable. J'en starter with bespoke frame and LiPo attached goes weeks on a charge, portable.

Useful to have most things in one place but Bob's right, they can too readily become inclusive of the kitchen sink. Two small drawers for bolts, bands, plugs, tachometer and thermometer etc still useful though.

BTC

Thread: Burn Crispy Aviators
07/07/2019 21:32:10

NLMFC gate entrance is when.skies.groom. Spooky.

BTC

Thread: DLE 20RA vs ?
07/07/2019 20:48:34

You will struggle to get it below 82dB.

BTC

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
02/07/2019 20:33:12

A jump-lead walks into a bar. The barman says, “I’ll serve you a drink, just don’t start anything”.

A blind man walks into a bar and orders a pint, then says to the barmaid, “ I’ve just heard a priceless blonde joke, want to hear it?”. The barmaid replies, “you need to know that I’m blonde, the other barmaid is blonde, the bar manager is too and so is the owner. Do you still want to tell your blonde joke?”

The blind guy says “no”. The barmaid says, “I thought not.” The blind guy says, “I can’t be bothered to explain it four times”.

Michael O’Leary walks into a Dublin bar and asks if they serve the Guinness. Yes says the barman. How much will that cost then asks O’Leary. It’s two euro for a half, or three euro for a pint says the barman. I’ll have a pint says O’Leary. The barman asks for the three euro (England losing again here) and puts it in the till. Now, he says, it’s Mr . O’Leary, isn’t it? Will you be wanting a glass to go with the Guinness?

BTC

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 02/07/2019 20:57:52

Thread: Advice please
02/07/2019 20:16:48

Andy,

Having just passed it, stick with your go-to plane and pray for 5 mph wind. DON’T chuck it about, fly sensible open figure 8 at even height.

I think it’s safe to say that most of us found it easier without the extra complications of an ic engine and there’s no discrimination against electric.

Any high wing mid size plane ought to do, a Wot 4 seems hard to beat. In our group, the 3D fliers failed. Sweat the whole of the BMFA handbook. Listen carefully to the examiner’s instructions. Check the site specific rules too. Pick a good pit man to carry out/hold tx etc. Remember the electric rules, live when plugged in etc.

Best of luck and tell all post facto!

BTC

Thread: The Seagull has landed
02/07/2019 20:05:42

Thanks Gary. Ordered some. What was the best glue?

when it lands I’ll check out UK equivalents and report back.

BTC

02/07/2019 14:26:22

Gary,

Worth a try on BMFA Classifieds to find a new wing set?

Cowl; am I getting tiny g/f splinters every time I touch it?! What was the stuff you used for the ducting/blanking in yours? I was thinking 1/8" ply then remembered you'd used foam board which I guess would be easier to shape.

Also remembered that there was discussion over mine re the incidence, which might have been nearly right as 5mm of up el suggests to me it needs some positive incidence added.

You can see why Acrowots are so popular, can't you?

BTC

Thread: Infinity 90 Build
01/07/2019 15:04:03

She flies, with the 120, better all round with bigger loops and a bit more authority but the motor goes a bit rough after 5 mins or so, and further ground tests are indicated. I put a tad of down thrust in the get the propdriver to line up with the cowl ring, which will have to come out.

BTC

Thread: The Seagull has landed
01/07/2019 15:01:16

Flew Sat for the first time with its Saito 125, no cowl, about 6 oz of lead for a 140mm c of g. Ample power, twitchy on elevator until we dialled it right down and it landed with appreciable up elevator. As my superiors felt the c of g was good, I suspect wing incidence which will be another pain in the rear.

At least the new wing bolt tightening method was much easier, though one of the fronts worked loose in flight so they'll have to be nipped up in future.

Cowl fettling continues.

BTC

Thread: Thread in the head
01/07/2019 13:13:24

The guy who helicoils plug threads is on BMFA Classifieds.

BTC

Thread: How does a BMFA Country Member get an A Certificate?
27/06/2019 18:05:38

Re the figure 8s, one very experienced pilot effectively failed for flying tight pylon turns too close in and another drifted behind the pilot line.

Forgot to put on my list, especially for you Filmbuff, check the site rules for your host club as it seems likely that your examiner will ask about them and they do vary a bit.

BTC

25/06/2019 16:44:45

FB,

Ten of us sat/flew the A last Sunday. Lessons:

Nail figures of 8 in all wind directions, and not pylon turns; ditto deadstick landings

Learn the mandatory answers and have sensible knowledge of the BMFA Handbook

Make sure your failsafe can be shown to work

Listen to what you're asked to do.

Very best of luck with it.

BTC

Thread: seagull wing bolt size
25/06/2019 13:23:22

There seems to be a thread with steel wingbolts vibrating loose, canopy fixings too. Pal's big Excelsior landed with one nearly out on Sunday. trouble is, some of the big F3As, my Infinity included, use M4s which just look skinny in nylon. Needs the captive nuts liberating and replacing I suppose.

Cap head 1/4 20 UNC have 3/16th heads which I gave up on as a bit was hard to source and there isn't the width across the fus to get anything long in, hence the hex head and a socket on a 50mm bar. However if we three buy three each, Ian Shaw can get 10 sent, cost us £2 each bit. He'll be in front with only 1 left in stock.

There's a bit of play with a hex head imperial and a M10 socket which isn't enough to stop it tightening but does permit imperfect angles.

BTC

24/06/2019 20:52:17

Mea culpa, UNC.

Check the socket set I mentioned. As well as three different extension bars of 50, 100 and 150 mm, there’s a UJ which although a simple Hooke joint, is very viable and in combination should make your bolts far easier to frighten. Ha ha (or is it “lol”?) I wrote tighten.

BTC

24/06/2019 19:34:59

Glenn,

Probably 1/4 20 UNF, my Seagull Yak is. I think they may use varying sizes and threads though. Try wingbolts from a Wot 4 or Acrowot ARTF if there’s one to hand, if it’s modern.

the flawless Ian Shaw at Modelfixings will sort you out and if access to the bolt heads in the fus is as tight as my Yak, he’ll provide a sumptuous Proxxon socket set wherein the 10 mm socket will tighten such a hex head. If there’s room for digits, wing nuts or cap heads are all available.

BTC

Thread: Windmill
24/06/2019 13:12:15

OR a prop saver if it's a smallish model?

24/06/2019 13:10:16

Just what I was thinking. Nose profile wrong?

BTC

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us