By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bruce Collinson

Here is a list of all the postings Bruce Collinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Autumn is here...you been flying ?
11/11/2019 13:41:37

Four very pleasant flights with the remains of the electric Wot 4. Strip still very boggy at one end and what wind there was blew cross strip but takeoffs into wind and landings from both directions all went well. Thankfully all the sheep have gone on so post flight cleanup was primarily mud, for a change.

Glad I had a full set of thermals on though.

BTC

Thread: Who wants to share a new Flair Baronette build?
04/11/2019 21:52:19

Bet the t nuts were 1/4 UNC. Modelfixings.

BTC

Thread: Your best vacuum cleaner?
01/11/2019 15:19:39

There's a deal on the last model Dyson cordless via martin Lewis' site (Moneysavingexpert.etc). Very good machine, light, sucks well, powered beater head (which is where pure cylinder vacs like Henry and Miele lose out, if you have a wife with a long haired Jack Russell), second best to the 10 yr old Dyson corded which pulls like a pulling thing if the filters are clean. Build quality iffy, all plastic, but the local man keeps cannibalising swappers so not an issue. Cheap filters from the usual sources.

Panasonic never really did clean very well.

Screwfix £40 for garage/car/mancave.

henry for longevity.

BTC

Thread: Need new Dehumidifier
01/11/2019 13:50:57

20 yr old Mitsubishi, still works fine, only ever cleaned out fluff from the air filter. Not cheap as I recall, but you get etc.

BTC

Thread: Acrowot XL safety issue
28/10/2019 14:31:58

I recall that two pins broke on my Seagull Yak, so those clevises were binned too. It seems to be the case that a lot of the hardware is built down to a price and not up to a standard.

I wish there was an option to buy without hardware at a slightly reduced price but with a shopping list of everything needed. I’d far rather decide my own spec for bearers, tanks, horns etc., particularly with the larger end of the spectrum, c. 70-80 size where there’s a lot more cash and nervous energy in the air. Weakest links and all that.

BTC

Thread: Sealing foam cored wings
25/10/2019 18:48:22

Didn’t I read that Poly C is not advised for glassing, and that water based resins will tend to cause adverse effects to veneer? Why not epoxy resin which doesn’t eat foam? Z Poxy seems to have its detractors but I’ve got on fine with it.

BTC

Thread: Ankle Deep in balsa Shavings
22/10/2019 13:22:11

Spooky! Expecting to pick up an ARTF Curare this Friday! Show us your pics?

BTC

Thread: Infinity 90 Build
20/10/2019 19:34:35

Well done!

Mine is back from the menders looking good but I’m still wrestling with the chicken hopper tank setup.

You were lucky to be able to fly, it was blowing a strong northerly here with sharp showers and our strip is very boggy, not helped by some indications of a change in the diet of the resident sheep!

BTC

Thread: Glen's Models 35% Extra 330 electrification
15/10/2019 19:13:52

Heatshrink over the servo extension joints, belt and braces?

BTC

Thread: Wot no Acrowot!
15/10/2019 18:55:57

Not a rumour. Modelshop Leeds have them in (collected two this morning).

BTC

Thread: Ammo Box for Lipos ??
14/10/2019 20:02:39

If a Bat Safe is a lined bag with handles, I greatly prefer them to ammo boxes. There’s a good reason why the latter are always measured in metric. It’s because they’re disappointingly small and I thought not a particularly sympathetic environment for several hundred pounds’ worth of LiPos.

BTC

Thread: Wot no Acrowot!
14/10/2019 19:56:12

Rumour has it that ARTF Acrowots are back in stock.

BTC

Thread: Hangar 9 Ultra Stik 10cc
10/10/2019 13:46:58

You've given a very accurate description of what happened to one of mine; servos going absolutely haywire.

The cap isn't on all the way.

My second, a DLE 20, needed careful application of a plastic speedclamp to get the cap to snap onto the plug. Yes sounds brutal, I don't have especially strong hands, worked for me. You mentioned earlier that the cap was a bu**er to get off. Res ipsa loquitur. I assume what happens is that the spark will happily jump the gap with enough welly left to spark the plug but creates all sorts of interference, sending you looking up all the blind alleys for faulty components and duff radio installation.

One of several reasons why my experiments with petrolly engines were abbreviated; noise, temperamental jets on knocked-off Chinese Walbros being the principal ones. DLE out (sold), Saito 125 in.

Of course the others may be right but in a little used engine, my fix is no-cost. best of luck, report back.

BTC

Thread: XT-90
07/10/2019 09:30:44

Embracing the foregoing I duly soldered the ESC to the male side and the battery to the female side.

The relatively slim ESC leads have a significantly deeper cavity to solder into, and vice versa with the battery leads which are pretty thick but nothing like as well anchored. Seems quite counter-intuitive.

BTC

04/10/2019 16:32:03

Thanks so far.

Both sides of XTs are shielded, hence my OP.

John, George Worley at 4Max has them, genuine Amass.

BTC

04/10/2019 13:49:25

All,

On an XT-90 anti-spark, is the male side the one with the green resistor? Whichever, which one goes to battery? Before anyone's tempted to allude to my difficulties in gender identification, both sides are shielded, unlike my usual Dean's.

BTC

Thread: Infinity 90 Build
02/10/2019 11:02:01

Peter,

I have news which may be of assistance.

My Infinity suffered a bad case of pilot error resulting in a damaged fus, which an exceptionally generous clubmate has fixed for me and in the process he removed the upper cowl and has re-attached it with 4 screws instead of a glue-line at the front of the fus.

The access afforded to the engine mount is such a contrast to the "paint the hall through the letterbox" which you and I both experienced previously that I needed to impart this news which I hope will be helpful. I'll em some pics if I ever catch up with myself. We have beefed up the cheeks forward of the firewall and thanks to a cunning chicken-hopper dual tank system the lower cowl is going on for the first time.

BTC

Thread: System hook ups
12/09/2019 13:40:52

John,

You're where I was 3 years ago. Lessons:

4 Max, excellent site and advice

Any EC connector is easier to solder than a Deans

LiPo discharge rates (C numbers) seem to be exaggerated, though not likely to trouble you with park fliers

switches; forget it, there does not seem to be anything weighing less than too much but Hobbyking have a harness for you to build an isolator which utilises a Deans plug to isolate the motor from the esc. Lots of references on this forum. Most of us rely on the basic safety parameters, plug the battery in on the strip not in the pits, treat any armed plane as though the engine is flat out. Disconnect before returning to pits. A bit of a pain.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

BTC

Thread: Hangar 9 Ultra Stik 10cc
04/09/2019 19:14:01

It would be misleading of me to claim expertise but it sounds like there’s a spark but no fuel. My two petrols, a Zenoah and a DLE, pulled fuel from miles back so the finger points at the carb and Chinese knock-off Walbros seem to be temperamental.

We have a decent lawnmower man nearby who supplies service kits for Walbros and will fit them too. Just a thought.

BTC

Thread: Broken servo arm screw
28/08/2019 13:23:42

Jrman is right, I believe all my assorted Savox and Hitecs have JIS heads, as have `lots of hardware on ARTFs. You can get away with Pozi in PHS and vice versa in the larger sizes but I'm far happier having acquired a set of 4 JIS. It's generally the second largest which fits servos, probably No.1, if I can visualise them I think they go 00,0,1 and 2.

ian Shaw/Modelfixings sells replacement servo arm screws which don't smell of Wensleydale.

BTC

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us