By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jonathan M

Here is a list of all the postings Jonathan M has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Propeller safety
19/07/2020 09:05:31

My old woodwork teacher once pointed to the heavy machinery in his workshop - table-saw, planer, etc - and asked:

"What colour are they?" When I replied grey-metal, he said "No, they are red, and they're extremely patient, they'll wait decades to get you." I've been lucky so far, only two minor mishaps - a chunk taken out of my middle-finger pad when it contacted the anti-acoustic cutout on side of a spinning 12" saw-blade, and later on I left several thin salami-slices off the pads of two other fingers on the infeed-table when brushing dust off near the mouth of the planer. Both incidents happened either when I was working under commercial pressure an/or it was late in the day and I was tired.

I suggest we adopt a similar mantra: "Those engines are all RED and they're extremely PATIENT, they'll wait years to GET YOU..."

Thread: switch harness
17/07/2020 22:38:21

This is the Etronix switch I referred to above: **LINK**

Essentially exactly the same as Jon Laughton's version.

Edited By Jonathan M on 17/07/2020 22:39:49

Thread: Seagull Boomerang or Arising Star - any difference at all?
17/07/2020 22:27:56

Very good point Wasa.

In the Boomerang instructions there is no indication of any down- or side-thrust, although from some rough checks on the fuselage itself it appears that the bulkhead itself seems angled slightly for both? Initial flight tests will obviously quickly reveal any fine-adjustment needed, my aim being to get as close to neutral a pitching and rolling response when throttle is briefly blipped open then closed again. It won't be perfect as its only a semi-symmetrical wing section rather than the symmetrical section of a pure performance model, but should be close enough.

Thread: Crimping tool
17/07/2020 19:00:02

I got mine from 4-Max - does the job perfectly.

17/07/2020 13:26:32

Excellent observation (again) Robin. A chum of mine only ever fits two-pole switches to his models for very similar reasons.

jrman - just use a voltage-checker with a digital readout, plug it straight into the battery first and press the 'test' (i.e. apply load) button, then connect the battery to the switch-lead as normal and your checker into the other end (i.e. the end that normally plugs into the receiver.

I have two checkers: the smaller one is selectable for different battery types (NiMh/NiCd, LiPo) and their different standard voltages, then applies a load of 0.3A, and its digital readout gives you absolute figures for each of no-load and 0.3A-load.

The other checker is only for NiMh/NiCd (selectable between 4.8 and 6.0v), applies a load of 0.5A but only has a row of five LEDs to indicate battery charge and drop under load.

I therefore prefer to use the smaller, more explicit one despite its lower 0.3A load.

17/07/2020 12:13:54

My Irvine 46.

Ignore the locking-nut as it'll be replaced, and the only thing slightly annoying is the mess some previous owner made of the mounting holes on one side.

Don't know about the carb, except that it is silver and says IRVINE on it, and works very well indeed.

dsc_0133.jpg

dsc_0134.jpg

dsc_0135.jpg

dsc_0137.jpg

17/07/2020 12:01:12

I've just checked my usual switches (both with built-in charging sockets) using a recently fully-charged 4.8v pack and a 0.3A load checker:

Direct to batt: 5.43v -> 5.27v = 0.16v drop

Etronix switch: 5.42v -> 5.26v = 0.16v drop

JR heavy-duty: 5.42v -> 5.16v = 0.26v drop

I didn't check any of the cheap basic switches because I've thrown them all away.

I presume the voltage drop would be greater in the more resistive switch types relative to direct etc the greater the load applied.

PS: the Etronix switch is the toggle-type within a machined aluminium housing.

Edited By Jonathan M on 17/07/2020 12:23:02

17/07/2020 11:09:08

A minor but important mod:

The stock Boomerang wing has torque rods for the ailerons driven off a single servo astride the wing-join. But, to enable differential as well as accurate trimming of each aileron, I'm going to mount two servos, one each side of the join. I just like the idea of being able to fine-tune the model to practice cleaner B-Test manoeuvres myself.

This will also allow me to not have to epoxy the wings permanently together, just use joining-tape.

16/07/2020 22:14:11

That's just like mine - except mine says JAPAN on it.

16/07/2020 20:55:40

Nice 'tree-hugger' DD!

So here's another question: I've got the choice of either the OX Max 46FX or an Irvine 46 to put into the Boomer, both used engines but both good. Anything in it?

15/07/2020 22:35:29

Very useful contribution David.

I too am an (informal) instructor at my club. By no means a highly experienced fixed wing power flier, I only started when I was fifty (and usually find slope and now thermal soaring more instinctive) but gradually getting better at all aspects of RC flying. One day I hope to get the B Schedule properly nailed, but for the time being I seem to be the only member close enough to the patch and with the time available to help with basic training. My main advantage in the task is that I have a lot of prior experience of teaching older adults technical and craft skills from scratch - so I'm intrinsically patient and structured.

Everyone learns differently, but the common theme (as you observe!) is that the older you are when you start, the slower the process! The essential method is to explain, demonstrate and then let the trainee practice ONE new thing at a time, building their confidence from secure basic foundations onwards.

Pilot workload has to be kept at a comfortable level at all times. This is why many otherwise very skilled fliers who aren't trained or natural teachers often wind up stressing the trainee in error - too much information too fast, or not in the right order, resulting in too little time for the trainee to settle down at any juncture and relax into comfortable level flight, etc.

Whatever a field's normal conditions of wind or turbulence (ours happens to be particularly exposed), I've become convinced that a larger traditional model like the Boomerang has an obvious advantage over the smaller, lighter foam trainers too many people buy for themselves: it can be flown a greater distance out without the trainee losing clear sight or orientation of it, which in itself buys more time for them as each leg of a circuit then takes a bit longer, allowing the trainee to settle his/her mind before the next turn or manoeuvre.

Of course the other way to start off older trainees is with a sizeable foam powered glider. This won't give any training in the take-off/landing side of things (which can be factored in later using a proper powered model), but will enable people to become comfortable with the basics of smooth flight control, orientation, etc. With this they can also spend time practicing on their own using hand-launches for any suitable field, whereas normal power training would necessitate instructor and trainee meeting up regularly at the club field while progress is slowly gained and confidence built.

Anyway, looking forward to getting the Boomerang fitted out and flying.... and maybe it'll also prove to be a suitable model for myself - alongside my electric Wot4 - to practice with for my B Cert!

15/07/2020 20:12:08

Thank you Robin for your very clear explanation.

Having yesterday been gifted the very worn Boomerang for the club (which really needs a good winter overhaul first), today I drove down to my LMS (50mins) and picked up a brand new one for myself, plus a set of 2.5" wheels to cope better with our patch than the stock 2" ones. Back home, I then ran up the OS 46FX which goes beautifully! Already got a set of standard servos, etc, so hope to put it all together tomorrow, ready to fly by the weekend!

All I need (for trainees) is a suitable but inexpensive used TX for use as a buddy-box on a lead - anyone got one to sell just PM me please.

Cheers

Jon laugh

15/07/2020 09:29:16

Irvine 40 or OS 46...?

15/07/2020 08:52:31

Never mind what the model knows or otherwise, what will two almost identical trainer models with moderate dihedral do differently as they are turned into the wind, everything else being equal? Will the one with a flat-bottomed wing section balloon up more than the one with the semi-symmetrical wing section?

14/07/2020 20:22:18

Thanks for the steer, especially the point about the Boomerang being the better option in breezy conditions.

DD, I've got a used OS Max 46FX and I was going to buy a new trainer for it - hence my question earlier - but I've just now been gifted by another member for club use a very knackered-looking Boomerang MkII complete with an Irvine 40 !!

It is restorable as a winter job, but frankly its potentially quicker (and less irritating hassle than trying to do a never-ending series of quick fixes) to put together a new one for the rest of this summer, and install whichever of the two engines runs the most reliably and is better suited for the purpose.

Boomerang.jpg

14/07/2020 18:30:27

Cheers.

Just to say its not for me to learn on, but to use with the buddy-lead to introduce potential new fliers and to train beginners etc.

Our club field is exposed, usually with a bit of slope lift/sink on two of the four sides and can be a bit turbulent due to trees upwind - so the usual modern lightweight foam trainers don't really help novices gain early stick-time or confidence.

14/07/2020 17:42:39

Looking to buy a traditional trainer for club use with a buddy-box, and have a spare OS46 to go into it.

Is there any practical difference between the Boomerang and the Arising Star (2" bigger span), or are they in effect exactly the same thing? Are they equally robust? Different wing section? Any real difference at all?

Boomerang:

Span – 61ins
Area – 612 sq.ins
Suits – 40-46 2-stroke
Approx flying weight – 5.7-6.1lb
Section – Semi-symmetrical

Arising Star:

Approx flying weight - 5-6lb
Suits - 40-46 2-stroke
Area - 645 sq.ins
Span - 63ins

Alternatively, anything else that is still made that'll fit the bill?

Thread: Walnut Scale Mr Mulligan
13/06/2020 20:26:48

Shhhhh!! Don't tell them!! wink

13/06/2020 04:26:51

All-together-now....

10/06/2020 20:11:05

Great hall... why don't you just move all that clobber down one end? wink

Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!