By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DaveyP

Here is a list of all the postings DaveyP has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Which Glue
27/05/2020 09:37:14

Hi Michael, as another one who recently returned to modelling after a 45yr break I've found the following works for me, I build traditional Balsa/Ply models.

Titebond aliphatic wood glue for almost ALL balsa/ply bonding, Cyano for tack joints or if you're in a hurry and Araldite as already mentioned for high stress areas like firewalls and landing blocks nerd

Just my 2p worth

Davey

Thread: In praise if RobotBirds
23/05/2020 18:35:42

Hi all,

I used Robotbirds for the first time this week, I placed a small order with them online on Wednesday afternoon and was more than a little surprised when it arrived the next morning !!

I then placed another larger order yesterday( Friday) afternoon, fully expecting it not to arrive until after the bank holiday, but it arrived this morning both orders took less than 18 hours to be delivered.smiley

So very pleased both with the delivery and the very reasonable prices.

Ftaod I have no connection with RobotBirds other than these 2 orders but will definetly use them again

Thread: The State of Play
12/05/2020 09:33:36

I sold my P51D Mustang kit to a well known forum member here last year and bought the Warbirds Hurricane smiley off another member...…...

Haven't started it yet but have bought the i.c. motor

Back on subject, the Defiant would be my choice although if I see an La7 for sale...……………….

Thread: Sopwith Pup refurb
11/05/2020 18:58:28

Hi CJ, I for one would be interested in your covering technique, I've got some Solartex for a Sopwith Pup I am planning to build but haven't used it before and my covering with "ordinary" film hasn't been great nerd

ATB Davey

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
10/05/2020 11:17:35

Another thumbs up for the Sunderland, looks brilliant.

Thread: Binding undercarriage using solder and wire
09/05/2020 10:20:46

Stripped out mains wire works well, and gets my vote too thumbs up

Thread: Please advise for LiPo charger
08/05/2020 18:08:53

The SkyRc iMax B6 mini is worth a look, I got mine from ebay just over £20...

Thread: LCD self-repairing?
08/05/2020 10:11:44

Hi David, you are almost certainly correct that leaving it alone and change in temperature has "fixed" it.

Lcd's are made in layers with various masks in the layers, the shock of dropping it probably moved a mask and it has now settled back in position, if you have any old Lcd's that you don't need any more give one a squeeze and you will see the various layers appear...….

Thread: Smoking....
07/05/2020 18:33:56

Hi Roger, I've been reading this thread with some interest as I too am new to electric powered flight, and still love the sound and smell of ic motors smiley

Also seems we've had a similar past, I started with Rediffusion ( remember them? ) in 1970 mainly on cable systems but with a bit of TV repair thrown in for good measure. Then many years in various different companies from marine electronics to working for Flight Refuelling Electronics.

I too have a PPL and fly from Bournemouth in a Grumman AA5b Tiger and am a member of Wimborne Mac.

Having said that I do find model electric motors and esc's an absolute minefield, there are just so many different types and numbers that, to me at least, make no logical sense...……..

Every day is a school day as they say and I'm learning quite a bit from this thread.

All the best and happy flying.

Davey

Edited By DaveyP on 07/05/2020 18:34:39

Thread: TitebondII PVA or Polyurethane?
06/05/2020 16:40:16

Titebond is an Aliphatic wood glue, and is excellent for model making although it is fairly slow to dry, it will fill small gaps if your cutting is a bit off wink and no it doesn't foam when wet...….

Thread: Top Flite P51 - 65" span
24/04/2020 09:26:48

Great work Peter thumbs up I'm looking forward to the wing joining, it's something I always seem to struggle to get right......

Thread: Which electric motor for a vintage MADCAP ?
06/04/2020 19:26:07

Hi all, and thanks for the replies, although it's all still a bit like black magic to me thinking.

How do the motor numbers relate to power ??

Someone else has said a Turnigy 2730-1300kv motor produces 100w of power which is equal to a Paw 1.0cc diesel which is what I want to replace...…??

Are there any sources of reference for a beginner like me to make sense of all this elektrickery ?

Thread: Vic smeed Paageboy
03/04/2020 13:56:08

Hi Ian, yes please I'm a great fan of anything "Vic Smeed".

02/04/2020 09:45:03

Hi Peter, steady progress and I do like your drill jig idea thumbs up

Dave P

Thread: Which electric motor for a vintage MADCAP ?
31/03/2020 09:27:52

Hi Andy, thanks for the info. although I have used Banggood I was hoping for a UK supplier as there are very long delays getting stuff from China at the moment.

Would there be an equivalent from a UK supplier or even Hobbyking europe ?

As I said I've not done electric before and there seems to be a huge range and the numbers mean nothing to me, I'm not even sure what voltage these things operate at ??

Edited By DaveyP on 31/03/2020 09:30:46

30/03/2020 13:11:01

Hi all, While on lockdown I've decided to replace the 1cc Paw diesel in my Madcap with an electric motor, but I've never done anything electric.

Could you learned modellers please point me in the right direction for a suitable electric setup.

The model is 43" wingspan but only weighs 16oz (455gms).

Picture below, thanks.

img_20170324_113648.jpg

Edited By DaveyP on 30/03/2020 13:13:09

Thread: Clevis, Thead, Crimp, Glue or Solder
29/03/2020 10:27:15

I've always just used a soldering iron, on small 2mm stuff thumbs up

28/03/2020 13:30:52

Hi Peter, glad to see you have now started, I will follow your progress with interest cool

All the best, Davey

Thread: 1/3 scale Bristol Scout
18/03/2019 15:27:06

Great looking model but registration letters normally go under the left wing........

This however may not have applied in the good old days, still think they are a bit OTT though.

Thread: Sticky!
29/01/2019 10:12:49

Hi Don, I to have the "Sticky" plan, it was from the Jan 2018 Rcme

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!