By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian Dorricott 1

Here is a list of all the postings Brian Dorricott 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bixler 2/3
04/09/2019 22:41:34

I think the Bix2 flies better than the Bix3 just seems easier to chuck around . Bought the Bix3 to replace the earlier 2 thinking it would die soon but it's still going but is a collection of UHU Por/Cyano/hot glue held together with foam. Wing fitting better on the 3 but glued the 2s wing in permently. On a 3S 2200 with a bit of gliding will stay aloft way past my boredom threshold.

Thread: RCM&E September Issue.
29/07/2019 22:53:13

Glad someone else noticed page 42 before and after pictures I was doubting my sanity thinking what's the difference . We' ll blame it on the handover , is the new editor from one of the defunct titles from last year the name and face looked familiar .

Thread: Peter Miller asks what next?
23/07/2019 23:58:14

I like the look at the Czech Aero 145 and no one else would have one down the field ! Go on admit it we all like " one upmanship " or call it originality if you like . As a relative beginner (2 years) I remember way back everything looked the same to me i.e. high wing monoplanes all looking similar and didn't grab me enough to take it up , I thought a few years ago such diversity I'll give it go and now we all seem to go for the same types over and over again . Is it function over form or do we just like what flies well ? I like the idea of modelling something out of the box ( don't mean ARTF ) even if it's not a great flyer at least we are not stagnating with designs . I admire the guys who take pictures and measurements and turn out a plan for a model of something out of the ordinary , wish I had the ability !

Hey you designers keep it up give all a bit of diversity .

Thread: S8R stabilisation problemsanyone
11/07/2019 23:03:56

Yes if you mean simple mode but will go in and out using the LUA script .

11/07/2019 22:40:06

Sorry forgot to mention when I do the calibration I can't get it go from toggling the switch 3 times which is strange but the switches are set up correctly .

11/07/2019 22:37:12

Thanks for reply Denis , not pre-owned but I thought I might bite the bullet and make myself familiar with fiddly setup procedure and tried it using 4 servos on a piece of balsa rather than a plane . It setup after watching the Painless360 video for the nth time as a standard fixed wing , switched on and off and changed the gain on a pot ok and corrected the right way . It occured to me that I had a 28% bigger Delta built from RCME plan last year that I don't fly because I'm a little intimidated by it so thought the stabilization function may help , it all seemed to go wrong after this . Strange the way it works fine without stabilization but as soon as you enable it goes belly up . Used the same procedure on S6R and worked fine , bit sad now because I have some X6Rs which because of the close price difference I wish I'd bought S6Rs ! It's not the end of the world if I can't fix it might just use it unstabalized in my Bixler which is mainly UHU Por and Cyano held together with foam and doesn't owe me anything .

11/07/2019 20:39:08

Wonder if anyone can help ? I have s8r that I can program as a normal non stab. plane and it works fine all servos work ok . When I run the lua script as soon as I enable stab. one servo jitters and when I try the controls only one of the servos work . I have flashed the receiver with the latest firmware and the QX7 with latest . All the other bits are correct I.e. Ch 9/10/12 setup correctly , I have an S6R which works perfectly so I know how it should work. As soon as I enable simple or complex stab. mode I lose all but the elevator servo . I did have it working once with stabalisation but I changed it to Delta and the above happened , changed it back to normal but it does not respond . Anyone got any good ideas or should I just use it as 8 channel or bin it ?

Thread: Seagull E-Pioneer
30/05/2019 18:54:06

Side thrust not required flies like a dream but I did put a lid on battery compartment , made a lip using ply to push one end under and a couple of self tappers with a bit of brass soldered into the slot to make thumb screws ?. Came down once unscrewed the lid and the velcro had let go but the battery stayed put . It's had a battery fall out hence the lid , and a mid air crash and was repaired easily both times . Only other mod was to lock the steered wheel straight ahead and junk the servo , just use the rudder once you have speed up on ground . Trained on it and passed my A test with it and still get it out when I can't be bothered getting the glow fuel out ! Would recommend to anyone as a trainer over any foamy , only bettered by a Seagull Boomerang with a 4 stroke but that's another story .

Edited By Brian Dorricott 1 on 30/05/2019 18:55:32

Thread: Modeltech Fun Fly 90
06/04/2019 17:35:34

Anyone any info on this ARTF I know it's 61in wingspan for 60-90 glow and takes 5 servos but after that not much to go on . What size petrol engine would it take ? any ideas on CG and throws what servos to buy ? Too much to hope someone has a manual to copy? Anyone remember flying one and what were they like to fly . You have probably guessed it's a swap meet purchase less manual .

Thread: saito 82b consumption
02/04/2019 00:00:42

Think I might go up an inch or so reduce the revs but keep the pitch and with a 14x6 I can trim the runway grass as well ! Ken Tulloch is the Wots Wot overpowered with the 82 ? Just wondered because the Acrowot looks on a paper a little overpowered I think a 62 would have been ample .

01/04/2019 23:01:00

Thanks Jon I know you speak from a strong experience position so 8 minutes is fine for me a post A test flyer getting used to IC , anymore and I get bored after 7/8 minutes but that's probably attention span as you get older . Was worried in the Saito run in instructions with it very rich that it only did 5 minutes but have leaned it out a bit after 25 minutes rich running to something a little more economical . A Saito FA82b in a ARTF Acrowot can't see me needing full throttle that much ! I have a Saito FA62 in a Boomerang and I rarely use much above half throttle even for takeoff ! Power is nice because you have a throttle and I could remap my transmitter on my Boomerang to use only 1/2 throttle and still have great fun . Jon maybe I should look out for one of your Lasers next time I'm in the market forces four stroke ?

01/04/2019 21:51:51

anyone any idea how much fuel a Saito 82b 4 stroke gets through per minute with a 12x6 prop on a Acrowot ARTF , maybe a bit specific but any idea ? . The Acrowot has a 270cc tank and on the running in when very rich it only did 5 minutes or so , better when leaned out but does not seem very economical , do I need a bigger tank for 10 minutes plus flights ? If bigger tank needed what did you get to fit ? I also have a bit of a struggle to get tickover down to 2400 is that due to the prop being a bit small at 12x6 ? Or will a 13x6 be a bit better at tickover as it's the smallest recommended in the 82b range ?

Thread: Covering for horizontal stabiliser
17/02/2019 10:01:50

I have a little problem with a new Boomerang trainer , it's built taildragger but the supplied tail wheel cannot be fitted as suggested because you can't bend the tube once the rudder is installed . I made my own which is slightly lower than the original but functional and all works well . The problem is that the stabiliser is quite close to the ground on our roughish field and in 2 flights have produced 2 punctures in the covering underneath.

The question is what to cover it with ? Clear tape or should I try some of the textured type covering which is more puncture resistant ? Anyone had a similar problem and a good solution , I don't want to increase clearance as it takes off like a good un in a nice straight easily controlled fashion but everytime I clean off the Saito gunk I seem to have another hole . I have solartrim in different colours is that more puncture resistant maybe ? Maybe we should have a FOD walk on field because the public use it and dog walkers but their debris is little softer and nastier . As useful any help appreciated .

Thread: Gas or Glow...Does Size Matter?
12/02/2019 16:37:09

Where did that A come from ? Richard looked it up OS GGT10 uses the G5 glow plug , good enough for OS good enough for me .

12/02/2019 16:29:33

Richard. A. Try the OS G5 plug and dispense with the battery/ ign pack and spark plug. Got one on my NGH 9cc runs well on the ground but not maidened yet . Replace spark plug with OS petrol G5 glow and start like a like glow and I didn't even have to tune the needles ! Its basically what OS have done for their 10cc petrol 2 stroke can't remember model number !

Thread: Boomerang didn't come back
27/12/2018 23:03:08

Alex Nicol you have inspired me and I did collect all the big bits and I used to like jigsaws as a kid so you might be on to something there , sounds like a plan ! Think I'll clear the dining table and see what we have got , I'm a fan of using a bit of thin cyano as a stiffening agent just have to watch where it goes . Only thing I have ever glassed is a wing joiner is it the same procedure ? While that's going on better put the SC46 on the test bed and find why I got deadsticks in the first place ! Cheers all for answers glad I didn't send it to the tip now !

27/12/2018 17:36:44

You know the scenario favourite trainer flies in wind starts first touch and a joy to fly , 2 deadsticks second one a little more terminal . Boomerang now is truncated up to LE engine tank etc all off . Everything to rear of LE fine untouched and secure so instead of chucking it how would I start to repair it ? I suppose it doesn't have to be exactly as was just strong enough to take engine and tank , 2 of the formers are still intact but all the thinner ply is confetti . I have a buddy with a new ARTF Boomerang should I trace that and start from there ? I have no sides to build to and the original was ply skinned in balsa .

I thought maybe 4 longerons epoxied to existing frame then formers and finally skinned in balsa unless anyone has a better idea !

If you make the front too heavy would that shift the cog to far forward ? Does the cog change if change the design.

I will try and get a decent picture to show what I mean tomorrow .

If enough votes to bin it I might just do that !

Thread: NGH 9CC running in
30/11/2018 17:44:18

Thanks Philflyer lots to get to grips with there , I thought replacing the carb was a vast improvement but who would have thought increasing the oil would give even more smoothing . I'll try it as I need to mix some fresh about now . Pity it doesn't make them any quieter as well that would be a result - thanks !

29/11/2018 22:34:17

Just an update on the NGH 9GT , I have 2 of then one older with pump separate and blue head , the other a new one silver head and carb and pump all in one . The older one has been a nightmare to setup and the newer one piece carb job is a pussycat to setup. So you guessed it out went the old carb and pump in went a new carb from Just Engines and hey presto it's much easier to tune and transitions nicely now. The only problem is both engines run on Just Engines quiet silencers but are still very loud , anyone any ideas on how to get them quieter ? Just to set the scene on the test bed I run them whilst wearing ear defenders otherwise my ears ring . Saw a suggestion somewhere to drill and tap the outlet pipe to M4 and adjust to suit noise wise , does this work ? My SC46 glow sounds positively Rolls Royce quiet next to these 2.

Thread: Saito FA40a domed nut
12/11/2018 15:35:36

Hi Alan only went with wooden because it's eventually going on Tiger Moth , any others that look right on a Moth ?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us