By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Ballinger

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Ballinger has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
09/08/2019 19:21:56

Martin,

I decided the Flightline 1200 spitfire retracts would be about right so ordered the retracts/legs ( along with steerable tail wheel) and doors from the Motor RC spares shop. all seemed to drop in nicely.

Tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 09/08/2019 19:22:24

09/08/2019 16:47:23

16cd5f38-3420-43cc-b50c-46e2ef088657.jpegLong way till it’s finished but it is my first Spitfire and I wanted to show it off ! No build log as it all been done before.

It’s the Cambrian 55 inch converted to electric. Got the last one off the stand at the Weston show.

4b2095ea-d809-4e87-adb6-637669fa2302.jpeg

Thread: S bus
08/08/2019 19:54:46

Richard ,

if you search the forum for Sbus you will find at least 3 threads discussing this. I used The one ‘How do Sbus servos work ‘ as my tutorial.

There are many nuances which you will find discussed in the above threads, however in simple terms the Serial Bus sends all the channel control data along one servo lead in series and each channel in the data stream has a unique address. This generally allows you to use up to 16 channels if you need them. The Sbus can be decoded to analogue and split into analogue channels and can therefore use standard servos or you can use digital servos which are programmed to do the decoding themselves. You can mix and match standard analogue channels with the digital Sbus channels as you see fit. There are some devils in the detail with the Sbus decoders and if the frame rate is incorrect you can fry a an analogue servo .

That detail is in the threads noted above and is worth reading through. However if you want to use fewer leads in your setup or need more than 8 channels then Sbus cab be very useful.

Ther are many who know more detail but that’s the way I look at it.

Tim

Thread: FrSky Neuron ESC
31/07/2019 09:08:35

I had been considering using the neuron 80 on my latest project but discounted it without checking the details as I just sort of assumed it would be quite large. I have just had a closer look and it is actually smaller than my standard 60 A ESC.

how can they cram all that kit into the same space envelope as an ESC only device. Is something being sacrificed ?

Tim

Thread: 4-Max- Excellent service
23/07/2019 16:21:44

Echo that Stuart,

i have been using George at 4Max for a couple of years now. Service is always fast and efficient . Most of all George is always happy to advise on electric setups by phone or email. Sometimes it’s just reassurance and sometimes he comes up with solutions to problems you have not thought have. I asked for advice on motor/ESC etc for the Cambrian spitfire I am building on Friday afternoon and all sorted by Saturday afternoon. Ordered Monday and arrived Tuesday.

Tim

Thread: Phil G's Frame Divider for S-Bus
17/07/2019 09:22:28

.... and as discussed on the Sbus thread there are other decoders which output on the lower frame rate eg Bangood.

I have used the bangood 8 ch decoder and had no problems using analogue servos from the S bus port.

Tim

Thread: Weston Park 2019
17/06/2019 08:51:39

... and was anyone else blown away by those small, incredibly fast ‘prop’ driven Italian jets of the Tortuga(?) team. Made all the more memorable by a highly excited Italian team members commentary?

Tim

16/06/2019 17:56:59

I went today (Sunday), had a great day some excellent flying skills in a 20 knot x wind. Few showers, some sunshine ground been worked hard ( or is that soft) butter better than I anticipated. Full size grob duo were magnificent . full size spit replaced the hurricane for a little cameo. Oh and never forget the LMA Lancaster’s .they were awesome. Trade looked good if not crowded out and I bought the last Cambrian 55 inch Spit on their stand so I am set fair.

tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 16/06/2019 17:57:54

Thread: FrSky Freelink
14/05/2019 10:55:37

Sounds like a mix of issues that cause this problem then. I have actually deleted the FrSky link from my iPad anyway as apart from the novelty I could not find real use for it except for motor set up/testing and I can alwAys download it again next time I set up a model & motor.

tiim

14/05/2019 08:42:36

Hi Mark.

I believe Bluetooth pairing problems are not uncommon especially after OS upgrades. I had problems with my iOS devices and followed the help which was reset network settings to default. Hey presto everything worked again. I think on Android the equivalent is refresh Bluetooth cache files. But google Bluetooth connection issues and you will find more definitive advice. As for the free FrSky app, not had any problems.

tim

Thread: CAA registration consulation
02/05/2019 09:35:18

I see that the BMFA has now written to all its members setting out their position and is asking every individual to write to their MP, CAA/DfT and others. This in addition to responding to the fee consultation charade. They are also continuing to engage as our sports national body.

The fee is undoubtedly important to some but for me and I suspect many others it is the principles involved that create the ire. Ie duplicity, waste of public money etc I learned a long time ago not to cut my nose of to spite my face and in this instance I love my sport sufficiently to keep going and to stay within the law whatever that turns out to be.

I will however write personal letters to those persons and bodies suggested by the BMFA......

Tim

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
24/04/2019 08:20:40

Finally got a couple of flight photos of my new (6 flights now) CAP 21.

53c1fc5d-534f-45b0-8ec1-16f4904033c2.jpeg

e67049a0-396d-4615-9427-b03723194124.jpeg

Thread: Spring is here. Who is flying?
20/04/2019 08:39:02

Nearly missed the chance for a pun - A GOOD  Friday

Couldn’t find any more reasons for not giving the CAP 21 its maiden flight.......

Flew straight off the board as they say. Well chuffed . Landing shot is a bit blurred but the best I could get from the video.

Think I relaxed too much on the second flight, landed slightly short and nosed over in the rough. Didn’t do the prop any good but mainly bruised ego.

Thanks again to the designer Peter Miller.

415a4415-b316-42b6-b836-a0cbd4b2d595.jpeg

64575a19-6be8-4caf-9fca-feb69f6847fd.jpeg

Tim

Edited By Tim Ballinger on 20/04/2019 09:01:23

Thread: for fast electic is supreme
18/04/2019 09:34:11

Noise can be irritating but that is just spine tingling; awesome. Thanks for sharing.

tim

Thread: FrSky ACCESS - New improved protocol
25/03/2019 18:34:15

Scary

Thread: FrSky Freelink
20/03/2019 19:39:39

So here are the plots for todays flight...

graph1.jpg

graph2.jpg

graph3.jpg

The first plot shows the whole 10 minute flight. The height as measured by the gps and the vario in the GRx8R are in pretty good agreement but as I would expect the gps altitude lags the pressure altitude by a small amount. The vereticle speed derived from the vario is incredibly noisy which is a problem because this is what drives the vario beeps.

The second graph shows a blown up segment with the thin blue line showing the vertical speed averaged over 20 data points. Still noisey but would be more useful when soaring.

The last graph shows the moving average line across the whole flight.

This is comparison is with the high precision variometer ( 0.1m) so I suppose it would be informative to also compare the low precision sensor which is only available as a standalone sensor.

Bottom line for me is the altitude as measured by the Rx8R vario is pretty spot on but the algorithm for the vert velocity is way too crude.

Tim

19/03/2019 12:29:49

Ron,

interesting about the vario, the GRX8//6 are both meant to have the high precision +/- .1 m variant viz the 1m of the Var N. Ie the same as the Var H. Are you using another standalone vario entirely? High precision might well equal high noise but a bit of a design flaw if that is the case.

i might fly the gps unit along with the GRX8 tomorrow and compare the tele log outputs afterwards just to check.

Tim

18/03/2019 19:25:52

Chris,

I see in the S6R/S8R manual that it says the free link only works With IOS version. Is that what you were trying with ?

Tim

17/03/2019 17:23:54

Interesting. I just tried the vario output from my GRX8 on the dashboard. I had noticed the scale read in m viz m/s but had not really thought about it too much . So no surprise that despite being labels a variometer it actually displays altitude ( above sea level it seems) in my case 211m.

if you change to the sensor monitor it displays both vertical speed and altitude albeit the former exhibits the same high noise level discussed earlier. I suppose as as an analogue altitude display it serves a purpose but not much use for soaring.

Tim

17/03/2019 15:49:55

Chris,

i guess that’s because the dashboard is sensor orientated rather than derived quantities. Perhaps some coordinated feedback to the developers might give us a configurable menu system.

Ron,

i had a similar issue withe the vario bit linked the output to a logic switch only activated at above 2ft/s. When I say output I mean the ‘play vario’ beep viz just displaying or playing the vertical speed ( the latter really overworked the OS and the latency was measured in 10s of seconds. The beeps seem to work quite well once the noise is gated out. A long way from perfect but useable. I only glance at the integrated velocity (ie altitude) occasionally during flight and that is fine for me as the mark one eyeball filters out the noise at the low sample rate !

i will try it on the dashboard though and see if they have built in any sampling/ integration or damping before they display on that quite large linear display.

Tim

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us