By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stephen Smith 14

Here is a list of all the postings Stephen Smith 14 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: M6? Not If I Can Help It......
24/05/2019 17:12:16

Not a big fan of the metric system prefer 1/4 UNF to M6

Thread: Glitches and crashes
21/05/2019 20:27:30
Posted by Don Fry on 21/05/2019 19:48:59:

Steven, Simon, there was a very cerebral discussion a few days ago about lockout interference issues with a series of FrSky receivers. It was informative and informed.

When you have either something valid to say, or a statistically valid argument, speak. Until then lob your bricks somewhere else. Thank you.

You keep the blinkers on but page after page of spectrum problems on the Internet, personal problems with it when spektrum split from Jr, every club member at our club that uses spectrum has had at least one failure. Always the battery or the switch or a connection but very rearly happens with other makes.

That's enough proff for me and many others to doubt the ability to perform the flight safely using spectrum gear, we all have choices and I'm sure you can make your own, but personally I'm not prepared to risk safety or a valuable airframe because I'm to pig headed to accept reality.

Thread: OS No8 plugs
21/05/2019 19:26:44

Ripmax might have run out of 8s as they will need money to by more.

Thread: Another thread closed
21/05/2019 19:21:55

I don't come here often over moderated and quite frankly there is bigger and better out there, I no longer buy RCM&E as I feel more than once they have prevented me making a perfectly valid comment about a product, kind of tells me there not bothered as long as they keep taking the advertisers money and no one gets to know the truth.

Thread: Glitches and crashes
21/05/2019 18:59:59

Another 2 planes lost to spectrum.

Thread: Futaba 10J
04/05/2019 21:59:38

Not sure if it's a requirement or a recommendation. Taken from the LMA site

As a result of these discussions we feel we are in a position to recommend the following scenarios which present the “minimum risk”:

1. The traditional system of 2 batteries, 2 Rx’s, and “crossed” controls.
  2. A Powerbox (or any other similar manufacturers system) which provides for the fitting of 2 Rx’s and 2 batteries – these Rx’s can be Futaba, JR, Spectrum, or any other proven product. In this system it is expected that all controls surfaces would still be operative in the event of most recognised failures
Thread: Warning X8R RX - do not use with CDI on IC powered 'planes
04/05/2019 20:10:49

With what this has cost you, you could have gone Jeti. The lost planes would have bought the radio and the horus some receivers.

I bought a Ds24 and was so scared of the amount of money it was costing, took over a year to pluck up courage to spend it but have never once thought after the purchase that was a lot of money, I just think about the amazing quality.

Not to late to buy you won't regret it, and no I'm not connected in anyway just an incredibly satisfied customer. There is also a really good faceache group that can help if your stuck with some very knowledgable people on there even the importer comes on, but if you can get your head round frsky jeti will be easy.

Thread: Futaba 10J
04/05/2019 19:59:00
Posted by Percy Verance on 26/04/2019 13:52:18:

So Stephen. Thoughts? Comments? Or are you still laughing?

I'll offer some friendly advice if I may. You have made 124 posts so far on this forum. It may be rather foolish to assume someone may or may not know what they are talking about after so few posts...........but you may realise that by now.

Ours is a wonderful hobby, and it's one in which you never actually stop learning. Even after nearly 50 years of modelling there are still things I'd like to learn about and understand.

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/04/2019 14:05:10

Sorry for the late reply but have a life so don't look on here that often.

Have 48 years continual years experience including flying planes (rc free flight and control line) helis and multirotor have also done a small amount with boats and raced model cars at world level. I also had a retail presance in the model trade but sold it some 15 years ago, so I suppose I have a little bit of experiance.

As for battery systems iam not looking at plugging 2 into a Y lead or similar but a properly installed system with duplicate batteries that won't pull the other down or cause issues. At a minimum a power box switch that separates each supply but normally using a Jeti central box or a powerbox. This gives proper duel redundancy and one won't effect the other if done properly.

Have a read on the LMA site for the over 20KG scheme they recommend twin batteries done properly and they do have a fair bit of experiance amongst there ranks.

As for me would I fly my large petrols with one rx battery? No. Would I fly my jets with one rx battery? No. Do I fly my smaller stuff with one battery? Yes. Don't fly glow now but once the electrics get heavier than a couple of pounds I use a separate bec and much more than that and I use a separate rx battery

Can't rember a flight loss due to an insterlation proplem. And yes I did fly all day on 600 mah but flight loads where smaller servo power was smaller and generally was only using 3 or 4 servos.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

25/04/2019 19:58:17
Posted by Percy Verance on 25/04/2019 17:04:29:

You don't need two batteries in your model Vince ( your transmitter only has one!) By using two packs in the model, you're actually doublng the chance of problems.

Edited By Percy Verance on 25/04/2019 17:17:07

LOL there speaks the voice of misunderstandings and misinformation

Thread: Where's all the stock?
25/04/2019 19:52:34
Posted by Gary Murphy 1 on 25/04/2019 19:01:47:
Posted by Denis Watkins on 25/01/2019 21:05:17:

I understand this totally but I travelled 50 miles to visit 3 LHS to get some 1.5mm amd 3mm ply. All 3 had none. I realise shops can not stock everything but I thought I would get the ply.

Wicks have loads of plywood in stock at a fraction of the lms price. Other DIY shops are avaliable.

Thread: BMFA Classifieds Registration
15/04/2019 20:17:07
Posted by Stearman65 on 15/04/2019 19:01:23:
Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 15/04/2019 18:38:54:
Posted by Stearman65 on 13/04/2019 20:57:00:

That's the worst advise I've ever seen on here.angry

Why? If your not intelligent to work out what's happening perhaps you should stay clear of the internet all together.

I've been using the internet probably before you were born, I know the pitfalls of advertising your email & phone number, obviously you don't.nonono

Doubt it very much as the first really recognisable internet was around 1983 although there was a kind of email prior to that with the world's first Web page appearing in 1991. As for knowing the pit falls and understanding the threat I possibly know a little more than you doing thousands a month in sales as an add on to my main business, just remember we have all seen your bmfa and ebay adds and the proplems you have had, lol.

15/04/2019 18:38:54
Posted by Stearman65 on 13/04/2019 20:57:00:

That's the worst advise I've ever seen on here.angry

Why? If your not intelligent to work out what's happening perhaps you should stay clear of the internet all together.

13/04/2019 19:18:12

If you want people to contact you add your email and phone number, very easy to weed out the scammers from the email wording, others that phone are usually not scammers but would be easy to weed out with a couple of modelling questions. If your not sure about an email contact ask him to ring or give you his number, that soon sorts um.

Thread: Disposing of modelling goods?
10/04/2019 19:14:44
Posted by fly boy3 on 05/04/2019 21:22:31:

Hi Stephen, what part of the world are you.? You have no profile so I cannot PM you. Sorry

Sorry for the delay I'm in Sheffield.

Thread: Lost radio contact
10/04/2019 19:04:49

Aerials falling apart, battery box covers coming lose, poor connections, pots wearing out, and that's without the endless reports of loss of range. Why O why do people continue to buy this cheap and nasty rubbish?

Thread: Disposing of modelling goods?
05/04/2019 19:09:11

Flyboy if your near me ill have the bipe off you

Thread: Does your club prohibit the use of after-market receivers?
22/03/2019 21:21:04
Posted by Phil Green on 22/03/2019 20:07:38:
Posted by Peter Christy on 22/03/2019 12:59:01:

Frankly, far bigger problems than "mix and match" are some of the appalling installations and abuse of equipment that I've witnessed over the years!

My own gripe is taping aerials, I've replaced so many that had been ripped out when someones rx moved a few mm. Use a couple of straws!

I wonder where the club in question stand on homebrew gear?

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 22/03/2019 20:08:40

Should be OK provided it was homebrewed by the same person

21/03/2019 21:30:58

It really makes no diffrance to me as I don't know of a aftermarket receiver for my radio.

21/03/2019 19:41:42
Posted by john stones 1 on 21/03/2019 19:35:25:
Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 21/03/2019 18:51:11:

Most aftermarket receivers are used with Spektrum, and a fair few with Futaba, but not really much else. My simple solution should be a legally imposed ban on Spektrum and Futaba radio gear, there could even be an amnasty allowing owners to hand them in.

You probably think this is a daft idea but there would then be massive sales of radio gear helping your local model shop in these difficult times. Sounds like a winning solution to me.

I suppose we could do alsorts of things what about cars with none genuine brakes, vacuum cleaners with aftermarket belts the list is endless, let's do this and get the economy moving.

Alternatively rebel against the stupid committee kick them out of office and the club, you don't need this there's enough nonsense rules and regs coming from outside the hobby without it coming from inside as well, they are not wanted, or needed.

Bit lazy to blame committees every time, believe it or not, some clubs have members who speak up, not all things are imposed on people by over officious, badge wearing, little hitlers, there's some odd uns among the memberships tha noes.

Especially at Don Valley 😆

21/03/2019 18:51:11

Most aftermarket receivers are used with Spektrum, and a fair few with Futaba, but not really much else. My simple solution should be a legally imposed ban on Spektrum and Futaba radio gear, there could even be an amnasty allowing owners to hand them in.

You probably think this is a daft idea but there would then be massive sales of radio gear helping your local model shop in these difficult times. Sounds like a winning solution to me.

I suppose we could do alsorts of things what about cars with none genuine brakes, vacuum cleaners with aftermarket belts the list is endless, let's do this and get the economy moving.

Alternatively rebel against the stupid committee kick them out of office and the club, you don't need this there's enough nonsense rules and regs coming from outside the hobby without it coming from inside as well, they are not wanted, or needed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us