By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stephen Smith 14

Here is a list of all the postings Stephen Smith 14 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Local Model Shops
03/07/2019 18:56:03

I buy from amazon regularly from 3 different desk tops a laptop an ipad an android tablet and 2 android phones never ever come across a problem, perhaps it was an attempt at a scam

Thread: Local club attendance
03/07/2019 07:20:43
Posted by kevin b on 02/07/2019 18:49:57:
Posted by Percy Verance on 02/07/2019 18:25:04:

We're fortunate in that we normally get at least 50% attendance at most flying sessions. Mind you, there are just four of us in our group. We aren't registered as a club anywhere, and just one of us is a BMFA member. The remainder are with alternative Associations. We all stump up 25% of the field rent cost and share the mowing. No flying suits, no hi viz vests, no hassle. It works well.

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/07/2019 18:26:15

Hi Percy.

If you are not registered as a club, how did you get permission to fly from the local council ? I have a legitimate reason for asking as I have access to several fields.

Kevin b

You don't need permission from the council unless it's there field, only need planning permission if you use it for more than 12 days a year which obviously you don't, but may have suitable planning permission already.

Thread: Local Model Shops
02/07/2019 18:55:47

I raerly use the nearest lms to me because they won't take a chip and continually moan about what others do, they could always follow suit.

I do like to use shops whenever possible and have no problem traveling 50 to 60 miles each way just for a look, admittedly I raerly come home with nothing,

I also buy at shows and most are somebodys lms, but do like to haggle with them, got a few bargains at weston.

Thread: Local club attendance
01/07/2019 18:48:32

Cap of 25 at our club get about half the members Sat and Sun and others (older) fly in the week, don't think we have any members that don't attend regularly, but 2 or 3 that turn up but don't allways fly.

Thread: Switching Brand
27/06/2019 19:38:27
Posted by Foxfan on 22/06/2019 17:20:17:

Not sure why Stephen paid that much. As I said you can get a 14 for under a grand and that includes the Rx. Considering how good that is,it compares quite well with some lesser makes at that channel count. And a lot of people spend that and a LOT more just getting a turbine. I know what I'd rather have! Much as I love jets.

Martin

Paid that because that's how much a ds24 carbon line is comes with a rex 10 receiver. I wanted the best of the best that's why I bought it, I also have the turbine as well.

22/06/2019 17:00:55

Yep Jeti paid £1935 for mine and now have over a £1000 in receivers, lot of money but worth every penny, simply awesome.

Thread: Seagull Turbo Raven
18/06/2019 19:30:34

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wren+turbo+prop&oq=Wren+turbo+prop&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.9605j0j7&client=tablet-android-huawei-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=pVAZdskiT7E7tM:

Thread: Slowing down (a sports-aero) on landings - flaperons or spoilerons?
06/06/2019 19:42:01
Posted by Alan Hilton on 06/06/2019 19:21:06:

I teach rudder use after success with A certificate ,as it’s required for more advanced flying skills

Alan

You teach and don't teach rudder till after A certificate, bit late by then and suddenly when your pupils think they have cracked it, bang let's start learning again as they've been doing it wrong, bad way to teach in my opinion.

Thread: Drone harassment
06/06/2019 19:25:47

The origanal question was about being photographed, I'm not sticking up for idiots but what's the concern about photography, I regularly use a camera and get people I don't know in photos and not one person has ever been bothered. Millions of people have camaras phones and take millions of photos often of strangers but no one complains about that, and before you say there invading your privacy take a look on Google earth where you can look in everyone's garden.

Is it the camaras or is it the multirotor (not calling them drones don't want to sound like the BBC) you are bothered about?

Thread: DX7 buddy box - traine/slave combo
30/05/2019 18:32:37
Posted by Wilco Wingco on 30/05/2019 11:29:24:

'I'm using an old JR 3910 with a JR buddy lead. No problem. The DX7 keeps trims etc and the 3810 just gets the sticks. Also works with 388

Just ten years late on this one

Thread: TopGun Park Flite Graduate trainer - what control throws?
30/05/2019 18:20:44
Posted by Jonathan M on 30/05/2019 12:48:39:

He has swapped out the cheap radio for Spektrum gear

Lol

Thread: Fuelproofing painted surfaces
28/05/2019 20:35:46

2 pack lacquer completely fuel proff, cheap as chips, mixs with cheap standed thinners. I know it's not great for breathing in but neither is the aerosol solution mentioned earlier but is a fraction of the cost.

Thread: M6? Not If I Can Help It......
24/05/2019 17:12:16

Not a big fan of the metric system prefer 1/4 UNF to M6

Thread: Glitches and crashes
21/05/2019 20:27:30
Posted by Don Fry on 21/05/2019 19:48:59:

Steven, Simon, there was a very cerebral discussion a few days ago about lockout interference issues with a series of FrSky receivers. It was informative and informed.

When you have either something valid to say, or a statistically valid argument, speak. Until then lob your bricks somewhere else. Thank you.

You keep the blinkers on but page after page of spectrum problems on the Internet, personal problems with it when spektrum split from Jr, every club member at our club that uses spectrum has had at least one failure. Always the battery or the switch or a connection but very rearly happens with other makes.

That's enough proff for me and many others to doubt the ability to perform the flight safely using spectrum gear, we all have choices and I'm sure you can make your own, but personally I'm not prepared to risk safety or a valuable airframe because I'm to pig headed to accept reality.

Thread: OS No8 plugs
21/05/2019 19:26:44

Ripmax might have run out of 8s as they will need money to by more.

Thread: Another thread closed
21/05/2019 19:21:55

I don't come here often over moderated and quite frankly there is bigger and better out there, I no longer buy RCM&E as I feel more than once they have prevented me making a perfectly valid comment about a product, kind of tells me there not bothered as long as they keep taking the advertisers money and no one gets to know the truth.

Thread: Glitches and crashes
21/05/2019 18:59:59

Another 2 planes lost to spectrum.

Thread: Futaba 10J
04/05/2019 21:59:38

Not sure if it's a requirement or a recommendation. Taken from the LMA site

As a result of these discussions we feel we are in a position to recommend the following scenarios which present the “minimum risk”:

1. The traditional system of 2 batteries, 2 Rx’s, and “crossed” controls.
  2. A Powerbox (or any other similar manufacturers system) which provides for the fitting of 2 Rx’s and 2 batteries – these Rx’s can be Futaba, JR, Spectrum, or any other proven product. In this system it is expected that all controls surfaces would still be operative in the event of most recognised failures
Thread: Warning X8R RX - do not use with CDI on IC powered 'planes
04/05/2019 20:10:49

With what this has cost you, you could have gone Jeti. The lost planes would have bought the radio and the horus some receivers.

I bought a Ds24 and was so scared of the amount of money it was costing, took over a year to pluck up courage to spend it but have never once thought after the purchase that was a lot of money, I just think about the amazing quality.

Not to late to buy you won't regret it, and no I'm not connected in anyway just an incredibly satisfied customer. There is also a really good faceache group that can help if your stuck with some very knowledgable people on there even the importer comes on, but if you can get your head round frsky jeti will be easy.

Thread: Futaba 10J
04/05/2019 19:59:00
Posted by Percy Verance on 26/04/2019 13:52:18:

So Stephen. Thoughts? Comments? Or are you still laughing?

I'll offer some friendly advice if I may. You have made 124 posts so far on this forum. It may be rather foolish to assume someone may or may not know what they are talking about after so few posts...........but you may realise that by now.

Ours is a wonderful hobby, and it's one in which you never actually stop learning. Even after nearly 50 years of modelling there are still things I'd like to learn about and understand.

Edited By Percy Verance on 26/04/2019 14:05:10

Sorry for the late reply but have a life so don't look on here that often.

Have 48 years continual years experience including flying planes (rc free flight and control line) helis and multirotor have also done a small amount with boats and raced model cars at world level. I also had a retail presance in the model trade but sold it some 15 years ago, so I suppose I have a little bit of experiance.

As for battery systems iam not looking at plugging 2 into a Y lead or similar but a properly installed system with duplicate batteries that won't pull the other down or cause issues. At a minimum a power box switch that separates each supply but normally using a Jeti central box or a powerbox. This gives proper duel redundancy and one won't effect the other if done properly.

Have a read on the LMA site for the over 20KG scheme they recommend twin batteries done properly and they do have a fair bit of experiance amongst there ranks.

As for me would I fly my large petrols with one rx battery? No. Would I fly my jets with one rx battery? No. Do I fly my smaller stuff with one battery? Yes. Don't fly glow now but once the electrics get heavier than a couple of pounds I use a separate bec and much more than that and I use a separate rx battery

Can't rember a flight loss due to an insterlation proplem. And yes I did fly all day on 600 mah but flight loads where smaller servo power was smaller and generally was only using 3 or 4 servos.

Hope this clarifies things for you.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us