By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stephen Smith 14

Here is a list of all the postings Stephen Smith 14 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New gas engine break in
05/05/2020 21:49:39
Posted by Jason Channing on 05/05/2020 15:24:27:

Never yet had an engine where the fuel explodes ?????????????,

Or me, in mine there all a controlled burn.

Thread: Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter
28/04/2020 19:01:29

Just don't understand these diode lasers when they take 10 passes to cut 1/32 ply and are only really usfull for drawing out onto wood to cut with a knife or saw, my k40 cuts 1/8th ply without issue and with £100 back of the seller because of two minor issues it cost me under £200.

Thread: What are my options?
22/04/2020 19:53:42

I will continue to buy from China if necessary for the item I want, I use Czechoslovakian radio currently building a British kit, have two British kits in the loft and three American kits (by kits I mean kits not artf) I have some hitec servos not sure where there made but don't think it's Chinese, have os and Irvine engines.

On the other hand I have Chinese foamys and balsa artfs, piles of Chinese servos, motors, escs, engines and verious other stuff from them, not only modeling.

Please also remember they do a great line in wild bat meat, yummy.

Thread: Aerial positioning
14/04/2020 18:57:27
Posted by Dickw on 14/04/2020 16:29:33:

As an example of "how not to do it" have a look at the install for my 2m electric glider. The model is all carbon fibre (wing, fuselage, tailplane) apart from an approximately 6" section of the fuselage where the receiver sits which is glass or kevlar.

You can see the active portion of one aerial (yellow sleeved) almost taped to the side of the Rx. The other aerial is on the other side of the Rx with the slope reversed in the nearest I can get to a 90 degree separation!

I would never suggest anyone tries an install like this, but I have flown up to the safe limits of my elderly vision with a slim 2m glider - approx 500m LOS - without any problems.

It probably shouldn't work, but I have 3 models like this and they are all OK. If you are unsure of your receiver installation just make sure you do a really good range check with the model turned to all angles. Telemetry helps give confidence of course.

Dick

tight install.jpg

Quality radio gear obviously helps

Thread: Which classifieds do you use?
09/04/2020 19:13:38

Loads on facebook

Thread: Liability of Open Source radios
08/04/2020 22:30:13

They could ban all transmitters to be sure and just fly free flight

Thread: Cheap Chinese Laser Cutter
08/04/2020 22:23:50

Thanks Barrie will see if I can get there head once the world returns to some normallity but they don't list any parts on there Web site.

I see they supply the same poor exhaust fan, I found one on thingyverse which uses the same motor with a different housing printed in several parts, seals much better on the back of the machine and the difference in performance is night and day.

08/04/2020 12:39:47

Barrie thats a really nice head on your K40 what make is it and where did you get it from would like one on mine.

Thread: Benefits of the lockdown
03/04/2020 20:46:45

8 minutes to work instead of 45

Thread: Show Us Your 3D Prints
03/04/2020 20:44:09

Also busy printing face mask frames in between working

Thread: IC Engine Bearings...
21/03/2020 22:05:01
Posted by Martin Harris on 20/03/2020 21:25:19:

If it's so simple, perhaps you'd like to explain where I've gone wrong Stephen?

P.S. It's just occurred to me that if you happen to bolt a pusher prop onto the engine, then the thrust WILL be carried by the front bearing!

Edited By Martin Harris on 20/03/2020 21:35:17

The words educate and pork spring to mind

20/03/2020 20:49:39

Rather you than me Jon trying to explain this, simple concept but it looks to me like your banging your head on a brick wall. What's so difficult to understand?

Thread: Is there a new breed of servo ?
18/03/2020 12:19:26

Have you tried corona servos

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
14/03/2020 19:57:52

A previous scare multipled by the media

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jul/21/pandemic.warning

13/03/2020 12:53:07

Closing the flying field is stupid, reading face book and thinking its gospel stupid, this is flu which has always killed people. Carry on with your life and stop listening to the scare mongers in the press and social media, this has just replaced brexit or there would be nothing to report on.

If your scared stop at home cuddling your multi pack of toilet roll sat on you sack of dried pasta.

Our field won't be closing and our activity will remain unchanged, as will mine

Thread: Hobbyking Film
09/03/2020 20:07:22

The reason the rapid rc film looks like hobby King film is because it is, they buy it from hobby King along with lots of the stuff they sell. If you don't beleave me ask them they will confirm it.

I have no problem with buying from rapid rc at the end of the day there a business which needs to make profit, if they have the goods and I need or want it I have to pay the price.

I have no connection with rapid just a happy customer, and there service good with quick dispatch and sensible postage cost.

Thread: 1200 for 1/18 Spit!
25/02/2020 20:38:39

There reviews look excellent

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.hachettepartworks.com

Thread: Loads must go
22/02/2020 21:43:31

I'm posting this with a heavy heart...

As much as I love model-flying it takes up too much of my time and I am struggling to keep up with the everyday basics such as cleaning and maintaining my home, so something has to give. I will be re-homing my collection.

Please don't ask any questions, as I can't handle talking about it.

Below is a list of what's available. All FREE of charge, but to good homes only. Serious inquiries only please.

Thanks for reading and understanding...

1. Dustpan and brush
2. Sponges
3. Dusters
4. Mop and bucket
5. Window cleaner
6. Vacuum cleaner
7. Dishwashing liquid
8. Laundry detergent
9. Fabric softener
10. Laundry baskets
11. Toilet brush
12. Cleaning sprays
13. Scrubbing brushes
14. Stiff broom
15. garden fork and spade
16. wheelbarrow

Thread: Threadlocked.
22/02/2020 18:59:26

Always use socket head screws on metal geared servos, can tighten them to the correct torque easily and are easy to remove.

Thread: Geoff's Jet Provost - Build Log
22/02/2020 18:51:53

Are the 3d printed fin holders your design or did you get them from somewhere else?

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!